Resource RU Viability Ranking: ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
back to B rank or up to B+

I'm not gonna oversell it but it should be in B or B+. Granbull is one of the only things that stops lee from outright trashing slower teams and we all know how much of a threat lee is. Also for an offensive mon it has a nice set of useful support options(roar,heal bell,t-wave) and it pairs well with a lot like m-lix who appreciates granbull taking on fighting types while lix in return takes on poisons and steels. But I'm not nomming it to move up based on offensive abilities but for being one of the only true answers to lee.

I'm not gonna oversell it but it should be in B or B+. Granbull is one of the only things that stops lee from outright trashing slower teams and we all know how much of a threat lee is. Also for an offensive mon it has a nice set of useful support options(roar,heal bell,t-wave) and it pairs well with a lot like m-lix who appreciates granbull taking on fighting types while lix in return takes on poisons and steels. But I'm not nomming it to move up based on offensive abilities but for being one of the only true answers to lee.
This all sounds good on paper, except that checking fighting types is generally more effective on Spiritomb or Aromatisse. The former has Wow to further cripple fighting types, plus it only has a single weakness. While the latter has recovery in wish. Granbull offensively is also hardwalled by mega Steelix, and considering that the snake has near omnipresence in RU right now there is less and less space to fit it on a team. B- for now imo.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I don't think Granbull should be B or B+, but you're really underselling it. Choice Band 2hkos Mega Steelix with Superpower/Earthquake, and Fairy is otherwise a very spammable offensive type (it has Ice Punch for Amoongus as well!). However, it's really slow and isn't all that bulky and lacks a real role beyond scaring fighting types out and denting their switch in, and really needs wish + heal bell support because of how slow it is.

Unranked --------------- C
Well, I never see this lava snail get any use what so ever, but I do use him on my trick room team as a direct counter to set-up sweepers and physical attackers in general. His stats may make you turn away, but he does have a good supportive movepool. Flame body is an excellent ability, and if you do what I do and run max hp and defense you can basically use magcargo as a swap-in to physical attackers, sometimes burning them. Also, he gets clear smog, so thats nice against Sigilyph. I wasn't sure what rank he would fit in so I decided to go with C because he gets zero usage and generally goes down quite quickly to water and ground attackers. Still, I think he does have a nice niche and is definitely usable.

You don't exactly mention what it helps deal with, which doesn't make a very strong case for Magcargo, especially since it lost what was basically its niche since Moltres left the tier. It's 4x weak to Ground and Water, so even 'mons that it would check like Mega Abomasnow easily get past it. It can't deal with Mega Steelix, Cobalion, Hitmonlee, Tyrantrum, Rhyperior, Mega Glalie or even Durant (Superpower easily OHKOes), so I'm not really sure how you're getting the idea of it countering physical attackers. It's also slow and weak to SR, outright loses to most of the S- and A-ranks (and has a very iffy if not bad matchup against the rest), and Life Orb Houndoom clearly OHKOes at +2 after Rocks so it's not even a good check to Fire-types. Sigilyph is honestly quite bad in the tier, and there are many better and more viable checks to it in the tier. Magcargo defs doesn't fit the description of C-rank.

edit - sry didn't realize my sigilyph comment came off as ignorant, LO CM Roost is pretty okay I guess but it's still not prominent is what i meant

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...

Not sure how Granbull is one of the only true answers to Hitmonlee when we have Qwilfish, Spiritomb, Amoonguss, and Aromatisse, as well as a handful of Pokemon that can revenge kill it. Hitmonlee isn't even that absolutely incredible or meta defining to warrant a mon to move up for the sole reason of having an answer to it like you implied. I mean, you literally said that's why you nommed it. You didn't even mention its problems, like its lack of reliable recovery, its low Speed, being bait for Qwilfish to come in and set hazards, having to play around Mega Steelix (both much more meta defining imo), and the fact that some physical wall breakers can still 2HKO it, so it isn't exactly a catch all physical wall. I think you need some more convincing arguments here. :/

Calcs of some physical wall breakers vs Granbull for anyone who's interested:
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 199-235 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 232+ Def Granbull: 204-241 (53.2 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recoveryrecovery

Just responding to kingler's comment that sigilyph is pretty bad as I've found it to be pretty good when using it for a while but I don't think it works as well as a win condition as it did last generation due to knock off and phazers being more common which may be how people have been using it. Instead, I've found it to be a great disruptor that can potentially sweep if given the opportunity. The easiest comparison to make is probably to reuniclus so...

Sigilyph's pros vs. reuniclus:
-Higher speed, notably outspeeds drapion and meloetta if running max speed
-Can inflict burns with flame orb and psycho shift (although only once if done the turn its orb is knocked off)
-Flying type without SR weakness has some advantages (e.g. better match up vs escavalier)
-If not running max speed, can run enough bulk to make for a good switch-in to mega steelix given flame orb burns.
-Stored power (and cosmic power I guess)
-stronger fire coverage

Sigilyph calcs:
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (114 BP) vs. 252 HP / 208 Def Sigilyph: 142-168 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (enough speed to beat jolly tyrantrum)
252 Atk Drapion Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 208 Def Sigilyph: 236-278 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Drapion Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 208 Def Sigilyph: 158-188 (45.4 - 54%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO

Sigilyph's cons vs. reuniclus:
-Notably less bulk
-Adds 3 fairly irrelevant resistances (0.25 fighting, 1 bug, and 0.5 grass) and an immunity for three more weaknesses
-is shat on more by houndoom
-can't run TR
-Less Special Attack
-Doesn't have a second utility ability
-Running stored power lacks immediate power

So I'm not saying sigilyph is as good as reuniclus; but it has significant niches that define it higher than B- IMO. I would say B+ is more fitting particularly given the fact that a lot of teams will just add drapion and maybe megalix to cover psychic types and then are fumbling against sigilyph.

Just responding to kingler's comment that sigilyph is pretty bad as I've found it to be pretty good when using it for a while but I don't think it works as well as a win condition as it did last generation due to knock off and phazers being more common which may be how people have been using it. Instead, I've found it to be a great disruptor that can potentially sweep if given the opportunity. The easiest comparison to make is probably to reuniclus so...

Sigilyph's pros vs. reuniclus:
-Higher speed, notably outspeeds drapion and meloetta if running max speed
-Can inflict burns with flame orb and psycho shift (although only once if done the turn its orb is knocked off)
-Flying type without SR weakness has some advantages (e.g. better match up vs escavalier)
-If not running max speed, can run enough bulk to make for a good switch-in to mega steelix given flame orb burns.
-Stored power (and cosmic power I guess)
-stronger fire coverage

Sigilyph calcs:
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (114 BP) vs. 252 HP / 208 Def Sigilyph: 142-168 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (enough speed to beat jolly tyrantrum)
252 Atk Drapion Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 208 Def Sigilyph: 236-278 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Drapion Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 208 Def Sigilyph: 158-188 (45.4 - 54%) -- 45.3% chance to 2HKO

Sigilyph's cons vs. reuniclus:
-Notably less bulk
-Adds 3 fairly irrelevant resistances (0.25 fighting, 1 bug, and 0.5 grass) and an immunity for three more weaknesses
-is shat on more by houndoom
-can't run TR
-Less Special Attack
-Doesn't have a second utility ability
-Running stored power lacks immediate power

So I'm not saying sigilyph is as good as reuniclus; but it has significant niches that define it higher than B- IMO. I would say B+ is more fitting particularly given the fact that a lot of teams will just add drapion and maybe megalix to cover psychic types and then are fumbling against sigilyph.
I have used Sigilyph a lot in the past few days just because a lot of the Psychic-type checks that are run in offensive and balanced teams just lose to it but the set to run in RU is not Cosmic Power (which is very bad for a number of reasons I am not going to list), it is Life Orb CM Roost.
For example Mega Steelix is 2HKOed by Heat Wave on the switch or just OHKOd at +1 if offensive (or if has taken around 10+15% prior damage) and Drapion is on the same boat (takes around 60 from Heat Wave meaning that hitting on the switch or having it take SR two times when at +1 kills it) which is honestly very cool and Psychic just murders a lot of offensive Pokemon. It is quite weak to opposing CM Psychic-types and Houndoom (be sure to bring a Dark type and something like Emboar for Nasty Plot Houndoom) but is definitely a decent choice.

I should have clarified that the set I meant was not CP sigilyph but a similar set with CM over CP given that flame orb already helps your defence and CP makes you lose to CM everything. I haven't played with offensive LO sigi this generation but it sounds viable, just can't switch in as easily or threaten burns which is quite a big niche for it IMO.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
alrighty, finally got around to updating this

Anyways, the updates for the moment are as follows

Houndoom moved up to S rank
Jynx moved up to B- rank
Dugtrio moved up to A+ rank
Regirock removed entirely (brought up over irc)
Probopass removed entirely
Registeel moved down to C+ rank
Victreebel added to C- rank
Mantine added to D rank (brought up over irc)

There are a few other changes that i'm considering making, but i'm not 100% sure of them as of now, i'm going to talk them over with the council/QC team later today/tommorow and update the thread accordingly then :).

Also, as always, if you strongly disagree with a change made, be sure to speak up!

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
With that being the case, i support a rise for Cradily.

K, so it's got a bit of setup bait issues, letting in M-lix and Cobal for free and not doing too much to discourage Durant and Escav. However,

252 SpA Life Orb Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 142-169 (37.7 - 44.9%)

0 Atk Cradily Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Houndoom: 236-278 (81 - 95.5%)

Fair chance of KOing back after an LO round; worst-case, no residual damage, you miss the LO round KO, and a double-down, or he NPs again. You could stick a few EVs into attack just to KO it more consistently. There aren't many stall Pokemon that can counter NP Doomer so consistently, so this is quite nice.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Exploud Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 102-120 (27.1 - 31.9%) -- 40.1% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's gotta Focus Blast just to get past you, and that can easily just miss either time-in fact, hitting two is about a coinflip.

252 SpA Choice Specs Meloetta Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 150-177 (39.8 - 47%

Wall'd. Watch out for U-turn Dx ; but generally just get walld.

Heliolisk needs Focus Blast if it wants a prayer of getting past you ; eelektross has to resort to wearing you down slowly ; Rotom-c can burn you but really needs to Trick you to beat you.

It's also pretty o.k. against Sigilyph ; it can roost off hits, but you can tank its unboosted hits and gradually wear it down, stall it out of Roost PP. CM sets will probably break you eventually, and those are the better ones, although you can still spam rock slide and hope for the best. Also, if you don't want to lay rocks down, you can slap on Swords Dance and just beat hell out of sigilyph.

Also, get rekt SubCM Delphox.

Anyhow Cradily stops a lot of strong anti-stall threats for stall and is pretty cool for this reason, I support a rise.

You don't exactly mention what it helps deal with, which doesn't make a very strong case for Magcargo, especially since it lost what was basically its niche since Moltres left the tier. It's 4x weak to Ground and Water, so even 'mons that it would check like Mega Abomasnow easily get past it. It can't deal with Mega Steelix, Cobalion, Hitmonlee, Tyrantrum, Rhyperior, Mega Glalie or even Durant (Superpower easily OHKOes), so I'm not really sure how you're getting the idea of it countering physical attackers. It's also slow and weak to SR, outright loses to most of the S- and A-ranks (and has a very iffy if not bad matchup against the rest), and Life Orb Houndoom clearly OHKOes at +2 after Rocks so it's not even a good check to Fire-types. Sigilyph is honestly quite bad in the tier, and there are many better and more viable checks to it in the tier. Magcargo defs doesn't fit the description of C-rank.

edit - sry didn't realize my sigilyph comment came off as ignorant, LO CM Roost is pretty okay I guess but it's still not prominent is what i meant
Well, the way I used magcargo isn't by checking physical threats, it's to stop set-up sweepers with clear smog and swap-in to a predicted physical attack. For example: "I can smell that mach punch from that Hitmonlee a mile away, so I'll swap in my Magcargo, tank that hit like a boss and hopefully get a burn and some rocky helmet damage" or maybe "fletchinder has set up swords dance on my poke, so I'll take that acrobatics and clear smog to remove those boosts". Flame body has a 30% chance to burn which is as high as scald does so it does happen a lot. Either way, I do use him on my trick room team and he works better than you'd think. Several times he has stopped a belly drum slurpuff right in it's tracks and has burned several foes without doing anything but swapping in and out. You could argue and say that amoonguss works better as a clear smogger and I would agree with you, the niche that magcargo has is having flame body to punish physical attackers and he has better defenses. Either way, he has proven very useful on my team.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, the way I used magcargo isn't by checking physical threats, it's to stop set-up sweepers with clear smog and swap-in to a predicted physical attack. For example: "I can smell that mach punch from that Hitmonlee a mile away, so I'll swap in my Magcargo, tank that hit like a boss and hopefully get a burn and some rocky helmet damage" or maybe "fletchinder has set up swords dance on my poke, so I'll take that acrobatics and clear smog to remove those boosts". Flame body has a 30% chance to burn which is as high as scald does so it does happen a lot. Either way, I do use him on my trick room team and he works better than you'd think. Several times he has stopped a belly drum slurpuff right in it's tracks and has burned several foes without doing anything but swapping in and out. You could argue and say that amoonguss works better as a clear smogger and I would agree with you, the niche that magcargo has is having flame body to punish physical attackers and he has better defenses. Either way, he has proven very useful on my team.
It gets kind of tiring seeing these kind of posts, so i'd like to say a few things:

Firstly, you need to post some kind of an actual set. For example,

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 144 Def / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

This isn't always necessary for any discussion of a Pokemon; for example, Alomomola is fairly well-known, so I don't have to post the set every time I want to discuss it, although I might want to clarify if it's specially or physically defensive, maybe mention what move i'm using in the fourth slot if it's not Toxic.

However, when you consider that Magcargo is unranked, it's reasonable to assume that no one really knows what it does. When you're out here trying to explain how you use it, maybe you can just post some kind of actual set so we can evaluate it.

Next off, you should talk more about what threats it actually beats. For example, it's a great Fletchinder counter (moreso for killing it with Rock Slide or w/e but still). What other threats can it beat? If there aren't any, then maybe that's a reason it's not very good?

Finally, let's talk about your other points.

freddymc said:
"I can smell that mach punch from that Hitmonlee a mile away, so I'll swap in my Magcargo, tank that hit like a boss and hopefully get a burn and some rocky helmet damage"
252+ Atk Life Orb Hitmonlee Mach Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Magcargo: 112-135 (36.9 - 44.5%)

In addition to the fact that you just took a lot of damage, especially if Stealth Rock is up, you've just given Hitmonlee a free turn to keep attacking, and certainly taken more damage than he has. If you actually managed to lure Hitmonlee into using the weak Mach Punch instead of his beefy-ass High Jump Kick, jump on that train and take advantage of it! Unless you have a hard counter to Hitmonlee, in which case why take that risk?

There's also the fact that your nose might be off and you might just die to a High Jump Kick to the face, yeah? By the way, everything I just said applies to any physical attacker...unless you wall them, in which case refer back to my previous points vis a vis 'threats Magcargo beats'.

Ultimately, you're taking a dumb risk and hoping luck bails you out. Sure, there's some value in being able to roll for luck at low risk; mind mentioning some Pokemon Magcargo can do that against? I wouldn't spam Scald against Pokemon that can OHKO me either.

freddymc said:
"fletchinder has set up swords dance on my poke, so I'll take that acrobatics and clear smog to remove those boosts"
Firstly, like i said up there, why not just kill it?

Secondly, what other setup sweepers can you do this to without risking death? Mind naming some?

Belly Drum Slurpuff, by the way, OHKOes Magcargo, while healing up at the same time too, and sometimes carries Aromatherapy on top of that.

Finally, Trick Room Magcargo? I recently played with a Trick Room team, and i'm willing to attest to the fact that Trick Room NEEDS every turn it can get. Why waste those turns with Magcargo? Something like Rhyperior can still stop Fletchinder and lay waste to teams in the process; hell, give it Lum if you're worried about burns and it'll still be better than Magcargo.

Overall, what I see is a lot of 'i'll outpredict them easily' and 'i'll get lucky' which is bad policy for winning matches against players who are as good as you are.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why did Mega Glalie get a sudden drop from A+ to A-?
As much as I'd love to advocate for Mega Glalie (I'm the one who made the push for A+ rank) it lost his favorite partner in crime: Pangoro. Panda hit the stuff glalie couldnt pretty hard, and with the banning of it, Glalie has trouble with beating many Steel and Fire Types (not bc Panda countered them all, but nothing could really switch in bc of it) so I can see a drop to A- being somewhat reasonable.

If this reads in an exceedingly disorganized fashion, than that's probably because it came from an exceedingly disorganized person. Sorry if it's hard to read.
->S rank
Reuniclus has been a bit of a hot topic recently, especially given how well it pairs with Dugtrio, and I think that it is warranted in this case. The three main strengths of Reuniclus right now are the consistencies within the dark types in the tier, the low cost of utilizing reuniclus, and the destructive influence that the CM and OTR sets have on balance and offense respectively. There are three prominent ways to break through a Reuniclus: smash it with hard hitting physical attacks, use bulky dark or ghost types that threaten to hurt Reuniclus based on typing and coverage, or to wall it/phaze it with something like dragon tail Slowking (encore and/or trick counts too I guess, although the user risks a dangerous hit more often than not when switching in). The problem is that of these the second is perhaps the only consistent measure - hard physical attackers are often wounded by reuniclus' attacks, making it hard to switch in whereas phazers don't stop last mon reuniclus and need something else to help alleviate this, preferably one of the first two options. The fact that OTR exists also undermine the strong physical attacker's reign on checking reuniclus. Ordinarily the strengths of having a dark and/or ghost type would help balance this out, and the fact that the best dark types tend to have fighting resists attached also helps. But here's the issue: the dark/ghost types in ru are houndoom, Doublade, Drapion, Spiritomb, Skunktank, Mega-Banette and Jellicent. Jellicent can't switch in but helps stop cm with taunt, mega-bantte also risks switching in to shadow ball but works well too, and spiritomb is the designated psychic check - those all to some degree work. But the rest ALL have grown weaknesses, and the very fact that this is the case means that Pokemon like substitute Dugtrio, rhyperior, and other strong ground types can put a lot of pressure on the opposing teams. This pattern very tangibly makes it easier to stop the most effective checks/counters to reuniclus. And pursuit trapping Reuniclus (the classic way of alleviating psychic type weaknesses) is ineffective give it's sheer bulk:

Double these calcs to account for switching out:

228+ Atk Skuntank Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 98-116 (23.1 - 27.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Spiritomb Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 102-120 (24 - 28.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Drapion Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 98-116 (23.1 - 27.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

This is why I think CM Reuniclus has a low cost for what it's worth on a team - pursuit trapping does not create enough of a risk for using Reuniclus with only a 50% output from the best pursuit trappers. Magic guard cements this - the point of pursuit trapping is to fatally wound something to the point where it cannot easily switch in and recover, but reuniclus can switch into the Pokemon it normally would and pursuit damage would not hinder it enough to stop it from being safe. Most of it's counters/checks cannot either safely switch in or create dangerous situations in the metagame right now, and those that can more often than not hate the presence of Dugtrio, hence the issue with having the dark/ghost types overwhelmingly weak to ground type. As far as the impact of CM on balance and OTR on offense, having a boosting Pokemon with overall good coverage and immunity to status is inherently threatening to balance/stall whilst having a TR Pokemon with base 125 SpA is inherently threatening to the often fast and frail offensive sphere of teams (plus hazard stacking becomes useless against reuniclus). It has it's flaws, namely the 4MSS with shadow ball, focus blast and psychic/psyshock, but it's just so easy to use and pairs so well with other really good Pokemon such as Dugtrio that it's worth the placement in S rank among the top threats in the tier.

tl;dr Reuniclus's checks/counters all don't like similar mons (especially dugtrio) or take too much damage from Reuniclus's attacks, Reuniclus is super bulky and that stops pursuit trapping from being as effective, and it really hurts when those checks and counters are gone due to magic guard/bulk on CM or TR, coverage and base 125 SpA on OTR.

It's really good to be sure, but I feel Reuniclus is still A+ rank. I've been using it quite a bit on a balance team as a win condition (CM). I consider it very similar in power level to Durant and versitility similar to Meloetta , so if S was broadened a bit and included Durant (and maybe Meloetta), I could see it belonging there. Actually it probably deserves S rank, but it's not because there aren't any good pursuit trappers.

The calcs certainly take a nod to Reuni's good bulk, but don't seem very realistic. Jumping straight to pursuit isn't super common and most of these examples still have a chance to 2HKO if you actually do switch.

- Drapion - It's very difficult to justify staying in on Drapion and it won't keep attacking with pursuit if it doesn't look like you're switching out. Knock Off will severely lower Specs set damage output, and boosting sets beat the typical CM sets. Pursuit isn't even all that common anymore since Knock Off is so good... and good luck switching Duggy into a realistic Knock Off. 75%+ in most situations. Steelix is a different story on the defensive side, but Drapion can also continue to live. Running Focus Miss can take down Drapion though, so there is some guess work, but that brings us to...

- Spiritomb - If you're running Focus Blast... this point is moot, you are going to need some serious strategy to convince the opponent to ever endanger Spiritomb once it's revealed. Perhaps this is an unfounded worry these days, but back when I was big into BW1, CB TrapTomb was very common. This beats Reuni and Duggy (90% of the time). If you manage to play around and get it to attempt a second check when Reuni is still full health it's still a coin flip.

- Skuntank - I agree, probably not the best check compared to Tomb or Drap because it's much more predictable. Still, it's going to be quite the mind game with Sucker Punch. Duggy has an easier time though.

OTR sets can alter some of these cases, but usually these dark types carry priority so speed won't even matter. Since they have priority, it's still not 100% black or white on if Dugtrio can win if there are any hazards.

Megalix and Dugtrio are great partners and probably top 2 bulky offense cores (ClusLix), but Reuniclus still needs a turn of setup to be the scariest it can be, and in my opinion this is what still separates Reuniclus from Megalix and Houndoom.

EDIT - eh... I forgot this thing can run Specs Future Sight with Trick... it probably is deserving of S tier. Just so much versitility.

Last edited:

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
I mean, the problem isn't like you said: "Good luck switching dugtrio into a knock off", the problem is that considering i have a dugtrio and a reuniclus and you have drapion as your cm check then obviously i would be able to win if i trap your drapion. This makes mindgames that are extremely on my favor, your drapion can't come in as often in fear of a double switch(tspikes), it can't take any of my mons out(psychic spam + dugtrio is also common, so reuniclus might not be the only abuser of traping) and basically i can play really really safe while you have to completely outplay me during the entire match.
So ye, as long as dugtrio is around i think reuniclus should S Rank.
Traping is broken n_n

Yep, I edited my post. I didn't say it very well, but my S vs A+ issue really isn't about how strong Reuni pairs with Dugtrio or how strong it is, but if Runiclus needs Dugtrio to easily beat its checks, can it be considered S? I thought the point of S was that these 'mons didn't need specific support.

However, I then remembered that Reuniclus has Trick so it can solo cripple it's checks, this is what makes it worthy of S (by what I consider the definition of S tier)

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Hm, i suppose you're right to an extent, but when 80% of reuniclus' checks are traped by dugtrio i think it's a special case

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I believe that Reuniclus should be S rank, its Calm Mind set has always (barring Pangoro meta) been superior to Cresselia's (an S rank mon). Obviously Cresselia has other things going for it, like the T-Wave set that is an absolute pain for offense to deal with, but Reuniclus also has other options like OTR and Specs that are really good at handling different types of teams, and everyone expects you to be CM so you can take advantage of that. Not sure if Cresselia should drop to A+, as its CM set is no longer the best CM Psychic-type set in the tier, it does have that cancer af T wave set though, so I'd be okay with it staying S rank. But I support Reuniclus to S rank, the fact that it pairs so well with Dugtrio is just icing on the cake for it tbh.

Cress' toxic set is also really nasty. Toxic/hp fire/psychic/moonlight kinda works like a fatter reuniclus that can take special hits. Agreed, though; I'd almost always rather use cm reun than cm cress.

for C rank

This thing is pretty much flat out garbage as it walls like nothing lee can knock off it and togetic can still wall lee and defog. It's reliant as fuck on eviolite to have ANY bulk. However the main reason I'm nomming this piece of trash for C rank is it's a defogger that loses to most hazard setters which is super counter productive because you're adding it to you're team to REMOVE hazards and golbat doesn't do that as I said before it loses to nearly every hazard setter ever. Plus the high usage of mega steelix isn't helping it either.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I kinda talked about this too; specifically, I prefer Togetic as your wall+lee stop, as it provides the utility of Heal Bell (it's not great at doing both throughout a match, but having it is quite nice nonetheless).

Golbat walls a bit more than I thought, but ultimately its just worn down by Stealth Rock to the point that it falls, which isn't helped by the fact that it loses to hazard setters. Mostly it takes advantage of defensive mons, but that's not overwhelmingly hard to do. I often feel like just switching in Golbat is a risk; i've felt that way about Togetic, but at least it provides significant utility to my team, which Golbat just doesn't do any longer.

I used Golbat in the way-back-when, nowadays sub boosters have fallen off a cliff and it just walls less and less. Quite frankly, fuck Golbat, Togetic all the way to the top however.

Edit: u dirti fuk, i could've gone to sigi if i had any kind of respect for servine

i still support it though; his team supports servine a lot but it does work, generally speaking, idk if stall teams can really handle it, mine being a weird 1

Last edited:

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Servine C or C+.

Alright before you start to bash and shit. Think about it, it gets a good speed tier and a nice spammable move. With good support it can do work.

leaf storm can 2hko some mons that switch in like cobalion ( after like 10% prior damage)and mainly things it hits for neutral. With sticky webs support it can do a lot of damage and sweep team weakly prepared for it.

Not to mention it punishes defog.

Eviolite gives it OK bulk , Choice scarf let's it out speed most threats that aren't scarfed. With a hazards on the opposing side it can do damage. It can run sub to beat toxic mons, synthesis to gain HP easier to help it continue to sweep, HP for escavalier and amoonguss, knock for utility , and giga drain for a secondary stab for saving leaf storms and gaining HP.

Now for some replays to show I'm not theorymonning the whole mom.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ru-223179517 ( against one of or if not the best stall player in RU)

Forgot to save replays when I played on ladder , will be adding more soon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)