SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm more confused as to where the ball comes from that's passed down from the mother. Sure, they have plenty of standard Poke Balls, but there's the special ones like Level and Dream that just aren't normally found in Kalos or Hoenn. And if the day care truly doesn't know where the egg came from, how come they can get the ball right? And why can't they for non-female Pokemon like Magnemite?
Hmm, going off my "Pokemon Egg holds energy instead of physical form like Pokeball" theory, maybe the newborn Pokemon may carry residual energy it got from the mother. Since each Poke Ball has its own effect they must use slightly different energy which could possibly connect to the Pokemon captured within it (though it seems to be able to unlink when the Pokemon is released). So when the mother breeds some of the energy its giving to create the offspring is an energy signature that matches the mother's Poke Ball. When the offspring is captured and probably put into a normal Poke Ball by the Daycare people, maybe that residual energy transforms the Poke Ball into looking like the mother's Poke Ball (though it's not like it means anything, once a Poke Ball is used it just becomes another capsule to carry the Pokemon around in, so it's not like you can use this to create more Dream or Master Balls). It's just a quirk of Pokemon being able to be turned into energy.

It might not be intentional (considering how Daycare helpers constantly tell you that they have no idea where your Pokemon's Eggs come from), but could be something like secretly magical bedding or something, so when two Pokemon who like to 'hang out' do so, it produces an Egg without the need for the Pokemon to actually mate. It would explain how nobody claims to have seen Pokemon actually breeding or laying Eggs.
I know this isn't the main point of your post but I just want to add even more to my energy theory (because if I'm going to beat a dead horse I might as well do it until its tenderized enough to cook into a fine steak). As you said, maybe Pokemon don't breed but rather have a secret mini-ritual where they release part of their energy which combine into a new Pokemon within an Egg-like shell until the energy fully melds together. The ritual is quick and maybe doesn't look any different from a Pokemon hanging out together as they usually would, so no one is the wiser until an Egg is formed. For all we know the ritual could even take place without the parent's noticing, they're just hanging out and accidentally initiate the ritual which causes an Egg to form.

Animals have been known to...you know...with other species. I've seen literal cats and dogs together!
Personally, I subscribe to the idea that what we call "species" of Pokémon are more like breeds*. It would answer part of HSOWA.

*Wouldn't be the first time this series used a term incorrectly. Evolution, anyone?
I think the presence of Egg Groups prove the theory that Pokemon has misused the word "species", though then again consider the oddity of Pokemon I don't think we can really blame them (true they could have called "Evolution" something like "Metamorphoses" but they might have just used evolution to simplify it). The Egg Group classifications would indeed be the species classification while the individual Pokemon and their evolutionary family would indeed be subspecies or breeds.

I think this an egg-cellent time to invoke the MST3K mantra regarding those wacky breeding mechanics.
But isn't the point of this thread to ignore the MST3K Mantra?

I do have a theory about such small birds being able to carry a ten-year-old: the respective badges that let you use Fly has a built in device that when you use Fly, it reduces your weight. It would explain how a Pokémon that knows the move can't use it outside of battle until you get that badge.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

I do have a theory about such small birds being able to carry a ten-year-old: the respective badges that let you use Fly has a built in device that when you use Fly, it reduces your weight. It would explain how a Pokémon that knows the move can't use it outside of battle until you get that badge.
I always imagined for smaller Pokemon that use Fly carry you behind them in a strong jet stream. If you must insist that it has to match the flying animation that we see, being each Pokemon that use fly creates this silhouette of a bird maybe in order to fly you someplace they need to absorb energy which surrounds them and creates that bird-like thing around them so that you can climb aboard and fly away.

I always imagined for smaller Pokemon that use Fly carry you behind them in a strong jet stream. If you must insist that it has to match the flying animation that we see, being each Pokemon that use fly creates this silhouette of a bird maybe in order to fly you someplace they need to absorb energy which surrounds them and creates that bird-like thing around them so that you can climb aboard and fly away.
I'm not saying it has to match the animation. I can't see anyone on top of a Pidgey (I always imagine that smaller Pokémon grabs your shirt with its feet).

Yes... but also no. This thread is a place to fill in the gaps where canon otherwise abandoned it. But questioning every single game mechanic is a slippery slope where there are no real answers beyond "why isn't this pokemon thing obeying stuff like the real world?" might be time to invoke "it's just a game, relax." We've got to draw the line somewhere.

I'm not saying don't do it, since while I started it, it isn't my thread it's everyone's thread. But I will chime in and try to grind a topic to a halt if I think the topic is spinning in circles. Whether people listen or not is up to you guys and gals (and the mods of course).

I guess as a rule of thumb, check and see if your mystery or question at least seemingly obeys the poke-universe's logic. For an example:
1. "Why can Pidgey use Fly?" does obey it's own universe logic, since Spearow, Hoothoot, and Tailow can all fly passengers no problem so weight doesn't seem to matter.

2. "Why can't Yanmega use Fly?" is a valid mystery in my book, given that Yanmega is much bigger than Pidgey and it's pokedex entries mention being able to carry an adult in flight, worthy of discussion (maybe it lacks the ability to remember landmarks so it's incapable of pinpoint flight?)

Anyway, just food for thought. Carry on.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
MST3K Mantra: Let's all remember what the mantra is:

While part of the mantra is telling you that you shouldn't be thinking too hard on little details as those details are ignored in-universe just to keep what you're watching/playing moving forward, it's also telling you not to take things so seriously. I think it's perfectly fine to speculate, but don't take it seriously like you're going to win an award or something. If you have a fun theory that makes sense (at least to you) then post it, the worst thing (well, reasonably the worst thing) is that someone says they don't agree and points out some of the problems with the theory (which you can then maybe use to help shape your theory). And if someone is more volatile toward your theory then its them that needs the MST3K Mantra, not you.
I posted plenty of crazy theories (most having to do with Pokemon being able to manipulate energy, but hey once you open that can of worms the question of what can you do with it comes into play), but I'm not against other's theory and like to hear what people have to say. For example:

I'm not saying it has to match the animation. I can't see anyone on top of a Pidgey (I always imagine that smaller Pokémon grabs your shirt with its feet).
Now while I still like my theory, this one makes perfect sense too. We need to remember Pokemon are eldritch abominations in "acceptable" forms. Because he's right, if they put enough strength an energy behind them a small Pokemon can probably lift and carry a person someplace else. Do you know Rufflet can learn Sky Drop? How many "weak" Pokemon can learn Strength? There are a few small Pokemon who can (or were) able to learn Seismic Toss. When a Pokemon puts their mind to it they can do things you don't think they should be able to do.

Or if the idea still bothers you, just take it as a game mechanic. Why can the small bird you can easily catch able to fly your across the map? Because you can easily catch it. Fly is primarily meant to be a quick travel tool and they don't want you looking around for/training up a Pokemon which logically would be able to carry you on its back. There is a divergence in pure game mechanic and in-universe physics. So you can either accept these little theories, or just shrug it off as the game creators not wanting to bog you down.

Yanmega Isn't A Fly: Yanmega is a dragonfly... wait my joke still doesn't work, DARN IT! Anyway, why can't Yanmega and the majority of flying Bug-type Pokemon learn Fly? Hmm, that is a good question. Anything I can come up with will have logical holes:

Maybe because Bug-types that can fly can't fly for long distances without needing to take a break? Well then why can some participate in Sky Battles and how come smaller, weaker, and inexperience Pokemon still able to fly just fine?
Maybe their wings aren't made to exactly carry something for long distances. Once again, the small and weak Pokemon who don't even have fully developed wings are able to carry you just fine.
They can't remember landmarks? But you're directing them.
They don't take directions? They don't have a problem listening to you in battle.
Their insect minds has them fly in a certain way (ever watch a bug fly, they go all over the place like they have no idea where they're going) that isn't suitable for having them fly you someplace?

Hmm, actually I like that last one, though it does sort of overlap with how can they obey you in battle perfectly if their insect minds process things differently. *shrugs*

NEW MYSTERY:
This sort of has to do with how Pokemon Origins displayed something. We all know about Cubone's mother, Marowak who we later face as a ghost in Pokemon Tower, was killed by Team Rocket. I always thought it was killed with Team Rocket were maybe escaping someplace and they used a gun or an explosive to get it out of their way. However, in Pokemon Origins it shows they were just poaching Pokemon as usual (with nets and stun batons), a Rocket Grunt wanted the Cubone because they were rare and sold for a lot, and mother Marowak stood in their way so the Rocket Grunt killed it with a stun baton as the child Cubone watched from a distance.

Some questions about this:
1. How did a Rocket Grunt kill Marowak, a GROUND-type, with an electrified stun baton (and it was an electrified one, you say it spark)?
2. Did Marowak just stand there and let the Rocket Grunt hit it to death? You don't see the Rocket Grunt tangle it up in a net, he just WALKS UP TO IT. Why didn't Marowak beat the mulch out of the guy? It's not a Slowpoke, its a Pokemon who can actively fight and uses a bone for a club!
3. If Cubone are so rare, why did the Rocket Grunt let it get away. Not only did it not run away far, there were also other Rocket Grunts and they had nets. So they killed the Marowak... and let the reason they killed the Marowak go?
4. Why kill the Marowak? If Cubone are so rare, why not capture the Marowak and have it breed more Cubone? Heck, if Cubone are so rare than Marowak are probably even more rare so you probably could have sold it. Once again, you had nets.
5. Why are you even using nets? Just use Pokeballs, less struggling and easier to carry them. You only need nets if you're going to capture trainer's Pokemon if you can't just beat the trainer up. Or at least use Pokeballs with nets, like have the nets do damage until their weak enough to capture in a Pokeball.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
About the rocket grunt killing the marowak with an electric gun, remember that pokemon origins is not like the games. For example in the regular anime pikachu takes down countless ground type pokemon with electric attacks despite the fact that it shouldn't be effective. "Pikachu, aim for the horn"
That was more the anime having some early weirdness/dues ex machina (how else would Ash have fought Brock if Pikachu couldn't hurt his Pokemon?). Nowadays the anime fully enforces Ground-types being immune to Electric-types. In the games which Origins is based on Ground-types have always been immune to Electric-types. And that still doesn't explain why Marowak didn't fight back (it was a baton, the Rocket Grunt would have got to get close) and the other things I pointed out.

Maybe there is a difference between Electric-type attacks and electricity? Also, even if the electric shock did no damage, there is no way the baton wouldn't.

Maybe it was already a dead and thus a ghost type

Or maybe it was just hit in an unarmored place? That's all I could think. Or maybe ground types aren't immune to constant barrages of electric attacks but just have a naturally high resistance to it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Maybe there is a difference between Electric-type attacks and electricity? Also, even if the electric shock did no damage, there is no way the baton wouldn't.
Maybe, though it would seem so odd if there was a kind of electricity that could harm Ground-types despite all the Electric-types there are (though now that we have Freeze Dry maybe we'll get an Ground damaging Electric-type move in the future. Or maybe a Foresight-like move that lets Electric-types hurt Ground-types).

And while I'm sure Marowak being hit with the baton would hurt it, the Grunt would still need to get close. Marowak is a mother protecting its child, its READY to fight. And since one of Marowak's most famous moves is THROWING its bone club, not to mention a human's strength would pale in comparison to a Pokemon's, that Rocket Grunt honestly would have been badly injured if not outright killed. Maybe he would have gotten one or two hits in, but all that would do is make Marowak KNOW its time to fight and unleash its fury on him.

As I said, if they had trapped it in a net or multiple Rocket Grunts were ganging up on it then, yeah, sure. But it was just one Rocket Grunt with a measly baton using a power source that usually doesn't affect Marowak who's a mother protecting its child. And that still doesn't answer my 3rd and 4th question.

Well, the answer to your third and fourth questions might just be that the grunts overlooked the fact that marowaks are rare too (assuming they are). The grunt probably was just told to capture a cubone specifically, and let's be honest, team rocket grunts are not renowned for their intelligence. I mean the do basically mainly use zubats in the games, which origins is closely based off of.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well, the answer to your third and fourth questions might just be that the grunts overlooked the fact that marowaks are rare too (assuming they are). The grunt probably was just told to capture a cubone specifically, and let's be honest, team rocket grunts are not renowned for their intelligence. I mean the do basically mainly use zubats in the games, which origins is closely based off of.
I'm wondering if Giovanni isn't an idiot himself for sending out grunts that stupid. I can understand having stupid grunts as bodyguards meat shields, but since his "business" is about capturing and selling Pokemon you'd think he would want grunts that at least passed elementary school to be out capturing the wild Pokemon.

I figure the reason Team Rocket (if no other yakuza from the games) fights you primarily with Rattata and Zubats (and maybe Grimer? They tend to have him more often later on) is because all the rare Pokemon they capture are kept under close watch by Giovanni and the scientists working on whichever project he had them on (Cloning Mew, creating/copying/stealing the Master Ball), but since nobody in the Kanto region has a sanctioned space for breeding, they can't just pop out useful Pokemon and give them to their grunts on the fly. I imagine that it would make too much of a dent in Team Rocket's budget to run somebody over to the south side of Goldenrod to solve this problem. Grunts are hired for cheap and given easy-to-find Pokemon(which ties in with Jesse and James' Arbok and Weezing), or at least the free Pokeballs to go catch something really quick.

It's not a very good lore-based explanation for why the other teams' grunts all have shit Pokemon (excusing Cipher, they spread their Shadow Pokemon haul pretty well, and even then their Peons had relatively diverse teams without them), but meh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This makes sense; think of all of the Thunder Bolts and Flamethrowers Ash has taken without any damage whatsoever. Water-types can be burned (Water Veil permitting), but you can't burn water. Pokemon types probably aren't the exact same as their elements.
True, but still that stun baton had to have a high amount of voltage (more than a Pokemon's) for it to overload a Ground-types natural electric immunity.

I figure the reason Team Rocket (if no other yakuza from the games) fights you primarily with Rattata and Zubats (and maybe Grimer? They tend to have him more often later on) is because all the rare Pokemon they capture are kept under close watch by Giovanni and the scientists working on whichever project he had them on (Cloning Mew, creating/copying/stealing the Master Ball), but since nobody in the Kanto region has a sanctioned space for breeding, they can't just pop out useful Pokemon and give them to their grunts on the fly. I imagine that it would make too much of a dent in Team Rocket's budget to run somebody over to the south side of Goldenrod to solve this problem. Grunts are hired for cheap and given easy-to-find Pokemon(which ties in with Jesse and James' Arbok and Weezing), or at least the free Pokeballs to go catch something really quick.

It's not a very good lore-based explanation for why the other teams' grunts all have shit Pokemon (excusing Cipher, they spread their Shadow Pokemon haul pretty well, and even then their Peons had relatively diverse teams without them), but meh.
Well it makes sense that the grunts would have weak Pokemon that TR could easily catch by the truckload, also if you keep your employees weak they can't rise up against you. Also I doubt Team Rocket would use a public daycare, I'd imagine if they were smart enough to use one they would have set up a private daycare within a Rocket base for TR members.

Yeah, kind of wish they would start varying a villains team (they can have one or two signature Pokemon and/or a theme, but I think they should still expand out from the usual, what, 3 or 4 Pokemon every member uses?). Actually do none of the grunts have a Pokemon before joining, or are they forced to give them up? I could maybe see them doing that for Team Rocket and Old Plasma (though in their case it would be letting their Pokemon go), but all the others I can't see them taking away a grunts Pokemon.

New Mystery:
Why is Amaura being given out as an entry prize for a Dragon-type Tournament?

Last edited:
True, but still that stun baton had to have a high amount of voltage (more than a Pokemon's) for it to overload a Ground-types natural electric immunity.
With powerful Legendaries such as Zekrom and Arceus-Electric, I doubt that. Also, the Japanese name for Thunderbolt is 100,000 Volts. I doubt that a stun baton has that much juice.

Because he's kind of old fossil dragon or Ice > Dragon ? :D

But they should have swapped Tyrant and Amaura events :D
Oops, I didn't even know that they were giving out Snow Warning Amaura. Guess I'll have to hope I get one via Wonder Trade.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
With powerful Legendaries such as Zekrom and Arceus-Electric, I doubt that. Also, the Japanese name for Thunderbolt is 100,000 Volts. I doubt that a stun baton has that much juice.
I was actually going to bring that exact point up... until I looked up how many volts a stun gun typically has and found out some have well over a million of volts. I then remembered, volts don't kill you, amps do.

But you're right about the Legendary part, I think an Electric-type Legendary would probably have, say, an infinite times amount more power then a stun baton/stun gun yet their Electrical attacks are still absorbed.

I was actually going to bring that exact point up... until I looked up how many volts a stun gun typically has and found out some have well over a million of volts. I then remembered, volts don't kill you, amps do.

But you're right about the Legendary part, I think an Electric-type Legendary would probably have, say, an infinite times amount more power then a stun baton/stun gun yet their Electrical attacks are still absorbed.
I know for a fact that the 100,000 volts is an inaccurate name. Long story short, in order for electricity to arc one meter in air, you would need a minimum voltage of 3.4 MV - 34x larger than 100,000 Volts. If it was 100,000 KVolts then it would be more accurate but even then 1 meter is a short distance in a battle

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I know for a fact that the 100,000 volts is an inaccurate name. Long story short, in order for electricity to arc one meter in air, you would need a minimum voltage of 3.4 MV - 34x larger than 100,000 Volts. If it was 100,000 KVolts then it would be more accurate but even then 1 meter is a short distance in a battle
Did some more research, a single lightning bolt usually contains 1 billion volts and between 10,000 to 300,000 amps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)