Balancing Scald - New Mechanics (see post #125)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
We as a council had actually been working on this solution for a couple of months now but we needed to get rid of kokoloko in order to implement it since he wanted to keep using Suicune on all of his teams. Since Hikari and Sam have begun leading the tier, we've been listing out and testing the various possibiltiies and in the end we agreed that this would be the most fair decision to balance the tier.

DrReuniclus

Smogon's full of bullies.
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A very hopeful outlook is what I have on the upcoming possibilities that may be brought with these changes to scald in the tier. Pretty much balances out all of the bulky waters and scald mechanics that have had many detrimental effects to the UU metagame for ages at this point. Really though, I am very hopeful that we can implement this into the tier and allow the tier to be more fair and balanced to all the pokemon that we have in here. I hope this allows for a better change to the underused metagame that can be permanent and completely ban scald altogether. Look at what the No Scald ladder has done for us and all the mons that it has allowed us to run from now on. Forever suicune has tormented this meta and has been over centralizing than ever and now it will be much harder for the beat to pull off sweeps. Once again monsters such as salamence and feraligatr will be running around not having to worry about scald burns as everyone will be too afraid to run it. Our time has come to allow for a much more offensive uu with many new threats that can be used in the tier and are able to set up on pokemon without as much fear. Looking forward to the many changes. Sam, thanks again to you and the uu council for making this happen.

This is gonna be a absolute shit you retards. You faint because of a chance to get a burn? Why not make a meta with it to test our before doing this, like how uu no scald was done. Scald may be a fucking cancerous shit to some salty hoes but it also is really great along the lines of heracross and champ etc, You guys might aswell just lower the chance for it to burn if your doing shit like this
~ Ariana Granbull

Last edited:
RIP Suicune in S Rank, Im slapping Gatr on every team.

Edit: how will switching work if I scald a fire type, they switch into a grass type, does that increase the "death" rate I'll call it.

I've never posted except with recent suspect tests, other than that I've been a uhh what's the word for people who just kinda look at the shit and never post? I forgot.

But I had to post to say that this is probably the most retarded fucking thing I've ever seen. Really hoping this is an April Fool's thing lol

Last edited:

Always!

WAGESLAVE
is a Tiering Contributor
Finally balanced that shit

good on you epic leaders! to glory and onwards! that kokoloko fellow would've never thought of this!

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My dad smoked his whole life. One day my mom told him, "If you want to see your children graduate, you have to stop." Three years later he died of lung cancer. My mom told me, "Don't smoke; don't put your family through this." At 24, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a sense of regret, because reading this thread gave me cancer anyway.

Nice copy-pasta, bro.

I love this change, truly, this will make UU even more balanced. Question, if Scald fails (for instance, two Tentacruels Scalding each other and the first faints) or hits a Pokemon immune via Ability, will the user still have a chance to faint? I hope it does.

Brilliant! But why stop at scald? Why not have a chance of instant death on every ability with a chance of a debilitating status condition? You're on to something revolutionary, and I can only hope you can expand on this concept.

You may as well have said you were retesting Weavile next :[
#freevile2k15
On a serious note, what happens if you use Scald against a burn-immune Pokemon repeatedly; would you still die? (I.e. your scale is so pathetic that it can barely 3hko entei with good rolls but you're so bad that's your best way of handling fire dogs)

Also would encoring something into a resisted scald and sitting there hoping for death be a viable strategy for pacifistic players?

Last edited:

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Nice copy-pasta, bro.

I love this change, truly, this will make UU even more balanced. Question, if Scald fails (for instance, two Tentacruels Scalding each other and the first faints) or hits a Pokemon immune via Ability, will the user still have a chance to faint? I hope it does.
It does because the formula still assumes you were fishing for a burn. The chance of dying is calculated as you click Scald, not after it does damage

Also, might as well say my own opinion on this, considering that I've been heavily involved in the makings of this decision: Scald's presence is essential for the tier. It offers Bulky Waters countermeasures against the likes of Salamence (hell, even more defensive Pokemon) without making them resort to the inferior Ice Beam, so removing it entirely was a no-no from the start. However, we felt that the need for counterplay for the move outside of resorting to Scald-immune Pokemon (I think the only relevant ones are Heliolisk and Seismitoad anyways) was needed for Scald to become healthier. The creation of this mechanic had both of these factors in mind, and we can say that we're quite proud about its implementation.

Cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)