Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the term "Blanket Check" specifically mean? I assume is something among the lines of "If you use this Pokemon you don't have to worry too much about Pokemon of this type" or something like that?

What does the term "Blanket Check" specifically mean? I assume is something among the lines of "If you use this Pokemon you don't have to worry too much about Pokemon of this type" or something like that?
A blanket check is a pokemon that can check large portion of the metagame in one slot. Like, Landorus-T was used as a single check to many physical attackers, such as Talonflame, Lopunny-mega, zard-x due to intimidate and could revenge them with scarf or gain momemtum with u-turn. Aegislash was considered a blanket check to almost all fairies and psychics as well as to otherwise huge threats such as mega-heracross and Mega-pinsir. You can also consider clefable as a blanket check. Unaware is a very good check to almost all set up sweepers.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Why are Florges, Donphan, Heliolisk, Darmanitan, Jolteon, Milotic and Tauros blacklisted in the viability rankings? (I'd thank that threat having a little explanation of it, but it haven't) I know more or less the reason for some of them, like Raikou and M-Manec outclass Jolteon and Heliolisk, and the Pink Blobs outclass Florges as a cleric, but idk about the rest.
Alfonso Dragonlord
Pokemon are blacklisted because people nominate them for a ranking multiple times while they are outclassed or bad.
Milotic is outclassed as a bulky water mainly by Alomomola, but its job (depending on the team) can also be done by stuff like Slowbro or Rotom-W.
Darmanitan is outclassed by Victini and Donphan is outclassed by Hippowdon and Excadrill. Tauros is not really outclassed by 1 certain mon but it was nominated for a ranking a few times even though it is just a bad pokemon.
Tbf they get blacklisted more because they make the thread absolutely unbearable to read. Outclassed is just the word thrown around to justify blacklisting but the root problem is just turning the thread into a total nightmare. Just thought I would point this out.

What's more viable in the current OU metagame, offensive chesnaught or physical wall chesnaught?
Also, is serperior a pokemon that could be in a balanced team or is it just good in HO or standard offense teams?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's more viable in the current OU metagame, offensive chesnaught or physical wall chesnaught?
Also, is serperior a pokemon that could be in a balanced team or is it just good in HO or standard offense teams?
Defensive Chesnaught is much more consistent and effective. Offensive (belly drum) chesnaught is decent but shouldn't be used on full hyper offense imo, moreso like bulky / balanced offensive teams.

Defensive Chesnaught is much more consistent and effective. Offensive (belly drum) chesnaught is decent but shouldn't be used on full hyper offense imo, moreso like bulky / balanced offensive teams.
Thanks, I also forgot to ask if defensive chesnaught could be in a balanced team, because it seems like it only fits stall teams

Thanks, I also forgot to ask if defensive chesnaught could be in a balanced team, because it seems like it only fits stall teams
Definitely, I currently even run a defensive Chesnaught on my Bulky Offense team and it works fine, fits in better then a defensive Skarmory - kind of like Ferrothorn in that respect but it mostly checks different things.

Damn seems like i have lot of question regarding aegi
-kings shield defends the user from attacks reducing opposing mon atk by 2 stages only if its a contact move... that means that EQ hits him all day ?
-it doesnt function like protect regarding status (wow, thunder wave)
thats it for now i think

EDIT: is it spammable ? I mean protect will most likely on second use in a row what about kings shield?

p2

Banned deucer.
-kings shield defends the user from attacks reducing opposing mon atk by 2 stages only if its a contact move... that means that EQ hits him all day ?
thats it for now i think
King's Shield only drops Attack for contact moves like Knock Off or Fire Punch. EQ is unaffected by it, so it's a fairly safe move to use against it.
Status gets through King's Shield, so you can still get hit by Taunt, WilloWisp, Thunder Wave etc

Say a Landorus-T comes in on a Baton Passer, thus intimidating them, and then said baton passer (-1 atk) goes to Defiant Bisharp via Baton Pass : do you end up with a -1 atk Bisharp or a +1 atk Bisharp ? Ie. is Defiant still triggered despite the stat lowering occurring before Bisharp comes into play ?

Say a Landorus-T comes in on a Baton Passer, thus intimidating them, and then said baton passer (-1 atk) goes to Defiant Bisharp via Baton Pass : do you end up with a -1 atk Bisharp or a +1 atk Bisharp ? Ie. is Defiant still triggered despite the stat lowering occurring before Bisharp comes into play ?
As far as I know, Defiant does not activate, because it was not Bisharp's stat that was lowered in the first place.

thats it for now i think

EDIT: is it spammable ? I mean protect will most likely on second use in a row what about kings shield?
King's Shield only applies to contact moves, yes, so Earthquake is not affected, and it will not block status. King's Shield cannot be reliably used in succession as well, nor can you cycle through Protect, King's Shield, etc.

Can someone help me deal with rain? For some reason, I can never win vs it.
Rain relies heavily on its primary rain setter. Killing that early makes it a lot more difficult for your opponent to set up on you. However, a good rain will always have other methods to set up rain, such as klefki, or thundurus. This means that to prevent them from setting up rain, you have to maintain a constant pressure when those pokemon are in, so that either they chicken out of setting up, or they set up, and die. As for what happens after rain is up, the majority of rain-induced set-up sweepers rely on a powerful water STAB move, so it's great to have a reliable bulky water type which can come in and either wall them, or stall the rain out. The turn their rain runs out is the turn their team is at its weakest, and that is the best time to break it.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rain relies heavily on its primary rain setter. Killing that early makes it a lot more difficult for your opponent to set up on you. However, a good rain will always have other methods to set up rain, such as klefki, or thundurus. This means that to prevent them from setting up rain, you have to maintain a constant pressure when those pokemon are in, so that either they chicken out of setting up, or they set up, and die. As for what happens after rain is up, the majority of rain-induced set-up sweepers rely on a powerful water STAB move, so it's great to have a reliable bulky water type which can come in and either wall them, or stall the rain out. The turn their rain runs out is the turn their team is at its weakest, and that is the best time to break it.
Thanks for the help!

Can someone help me deal with rain? For some reason, I can never win vs it.
Try carrying some rain checks on your team such as rotom-w or slowbro or ferrothorn.
Also if you're using offense and you find yourself losing to rain that's going to be pretty hard to fix considering offense is just naturally screwed by weather teams in general. I guess you could use mega zam to revenge kill them though.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Digging into far more nichier options, you could try using shaymin or even whimsicott. Both of them have tailwind, whimsicott having priority tailwind to bring a really strong wallbreaker in after sacking it and revenge kill the rain abusers while shaymin can stomach at least one hit, set up tailwind and proceed to outspeed the swift swimmers and kill them after that.

Of course offense is naturally screwed by it so you may need to think a little "outside the box" to explore possible options to at least being able to deal with it. Oh, normal gyarados also work quite nicely virtue of its typing and intimidate. Keldeo to an extent but it is pretty pressured.

Come on, isnt quite the simple question...

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What's with making a new viability ranking thread? To keep it from getting too big?
Yeah and in the event of Aegislash coming back I didn't want this time period where I get like 2 pages of people advocating half the ranks to move up or down based on aegislash being in the tier for 1 day on a thread I planned on making a new version of. I had this planned for awhile was just waiting for a time period during an event like a suspect test as thread was getting large.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Substitute and either Swords Dance or Bulk Up is actually a pretty decent late game cleaner against some teams. Sub evades status, you boost,set another Sub when the first breaks, recover health via Sitrus (or Sub again if you want to run Liechi berry) and then spam Acrobatics, which is almost as powerful as Brave Bird when your item is gone, and has no recoil. The set would look something like this:

Talonflame @ Sitrus Berry/Liechi Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance/Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Filler (Will-o-Wisp is fun, and Tailwind is a cool option when you are about to die to let something else come in and finish off, while other options are available such as Roost if you plan on staying healthy and doing this multiple times a game, or Flame Charge/Flare Blitz for Steels)

The EVs can obviously be tweaked a bit (and probably should be lol), but it basically capitalizes on forced switches to set up a Sub and boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)