Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Just remember: every puzzle has an answer. - Hershel Layton

Posting an ongoing streak of 1000 wins in ORAS Super Doubles.

#1000: WNLG-WWWW-WWXZ-DW6Z

...alright, so I was wrong. Spectacularly badly wrong. Not touching Greninziken for about four-five months had kinda made me brutally underestimate them I guess, and I'm known to be bad at gauging this sort of thing properly (see my singles team), so yeah... idk what to say haha. I know I have improved since then, but even then simply using the right backups made way more of a difference than I could possibly fathom.

Continuing where this part of the story leaves off, here is the video I was talking about. I knew literally nothing about doubles, and when googling for some useful strategies I came across some gamefaqs thread that basically came down to 'Mat Block is broken' and this video, which is part of a series where the player wins all trophies (with an EV-trained in-game team ffs); for Doubles, he used Greninja / Mega Blaziken / Garchomp / Aegislash. I didn't want to copy this team outright because that's lame, but because I knew nothing I needed a starting point and Greninja / Mega Blaziken looked fun and hilariously powerful, so I stole that and set out to find appropriate backups.

I used Assault Vest Metagross and Togekiss. My train of thought was basically 'alright, I should probably use some bulky stuff because I can be double targeted so I should be able to survive that', so I searched my boxes for some bulky Pokemon that were known to be good in doubles and knew a spread move; I settled on Metagross and Togekiss. I made it through the regular doubles no problem but lost at 25 of the super doubles because I got swept by a Dragon Dance Feraligatr.
I used Rotom-W. Losing against Feraligatr honestly wasn't too surprising, because I already had a feeling the team would have trouble with Water-types and I had no coverage on them whatsoever (the Greninja set I used was Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Extrasensory and Blaziken had Sky Uppercut for a Fighting STAB move lel). Togekiss turned out to suck anyway, so I set out to replace it with a flier (in order to pair better with Metagross's Earthquake) that could take care of most Water-types no problem: Rotom-W it was. I beat Evelyn and got to 89, where I lost because I misplayed against a Veteran.
I used Garchomp. I didn't really intend to replace Metagross, but I intended to complete multi with an irl friend and use this doubles team - however, he didn't have a Metagross, so I set out to find something that should fill Metagross's roll of bulky attacker/Earthquake user/Greninja switch option as well; Garchomp it was, and Garchomp actually turned out to be better than Metagross because of STAB on Earthquake and ability to use Protect. (In the end, I ended up beating multi with the AI anyway, lol). On a first run I lost at 105 because I was inexperienced, didn't consult the trainer lists, and didn't run Sash on Ninja - I lost against a Roller Skater when I failed to anticipate lead Scarfmory, which OHKOed Blaziken and the Fighting-type Greninja, and couldn't overcome this. On a second run, having swapped out most inaccurate moves on my leads, I reached 147, where I lost because I misplayed against Trick Room.
I used Clawitzer. I was unimpressed with Rotom-W's performance - its only accurate move was Thunderbolt (I couldn't RNG yet so I lacked a hex 30 Ditto for breeding HP Water without fucking up its SpA IV), its role was more 'don't die' than 'kill stuff', and Thunderbolt's coverage was mostly redundant with Greninja's Grass Knot and Ice Beam (or so I thought at least lol, f*** Gyarados) and I was paranoid of Trick Room, so I wanted a powerful Water-type Trick Room check - Clawitzer it was, especially since ReptoAbysmal had adviced me to try it on my triples team and I wanted to try it out somewhere. It performed fine, and this iteration got me a 159 win streak, where I lost to a Latios3/Cresselia3 lead because I was paranoid of Cress4 (and because that's a horrible matchup for any Greninziken anyway). This was the last iteration I posted about in this thread in remote detail and my best Greninziken record until now.
I used Hydreigon and Azumarill. I had lost a 298 streak in triples, it was too short before ORAS to try cranking out a new attempt in triples, so I retreated to the mountains - which is a fancy way of saying I started randomly playing some doubles on the train for the sole purpose of gaining more experience - I knew Greninziken had potential for more than 159, and I just wanted to play a reasonable bunch of games solely to really observe their weaknesses. The team I used was Greninja / Mega Blaziken / Hydreigon / Azumarill - which is essentially team Clockwork Angels without the center gears of Manectric / Talonflame. I knew their synergy was at least alright so I just went with it. It was... okay. Azumarill performed fine, my main complaints were with Hydreigon because my backups were lacking in the Speed department and it brought a huge Fairy weakness (couldn't hit them super effectively and once my leads were down Azumarill couldn't kill them first either because it's So Darn Slow.) I wasn't being really serious at it either so I lost a couple of streaks before the 100 mark, mostly because of screwups (e.g. not Protecting on Blaziken after Latios4 had Dragon Danced under Mat Block lol, causing me to get swept cleanly by its Earthquakes) or teams overflowing with fairies.
I used (Balloon) Aegislash. I threw it on over Hydreigon in order to solve the Fairy weakness while preserving the same great defensive synergy with Blaziken, but this caused my entire team to lose to Tentacruel4 one-on-one, which I very very soon discovered to be a pretty bad idea (I think I lost that streak at like 65 while I had swapped in Aegislash after the chatelaine battle lol). So I went back to Hydreigon and netted my best streak with this iteration, which was somewhere in the high 130s. It was then that my triples bone started tickling again and I realised I didn't *have to* complete that streak before ORAS's release, so I set out on what was to become that ejected 606 streak. As for doubles, I knew I should be searching more methodically for the appropriate backups. I knew it was time to stop fooling around.

So, uhm, yeah. Greninja / Mega Blaziken. What do we have here? Especially Mega Blaziken. A cool Pokemon. A fanboy favourite. Not an instant win button, however, in spite of shit like this:
252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 151-178 (91.5 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
...lulz. No setup, no boosting item, neutral hit, naturally bulky target... but Zapdos1 has to pray to RNGsus if muh chicken aims and fires. Additionally, Fire / Fighting have pretty great coverage together, and Flare Blitz and Low Kick generally reach a high Base Power. Mega Blaziken is not without its flaws, though: it
-is pretty frail and has a less than stellar defensive typing
-is initially slow
-still can't OHKO everything on sight
Obviously, this can be remedied: its Speed problem is always fixed after turn 1 because of a godly, broken ability in Speed Boost, whereas some chip damage is enough to secure many more KOs - in other words, there are not many Pokemon that benefit so much from a single free turn as Mega Blaziken. Obviously, if there's one move that can provide that single free turn, it's Mat Block - which is where the best Pokemon in Maison doubles / triples comes in, in the form of Mat Block Greninja. As for Blaziken’s frailty, that obviously doesn’t matter that much if you have him kill everything before it kills him or have his partner do so – and again, there’s none better than Greninja for this role, covering the shit out of Psychic-, Flying-, Water-, and Ground-types. With their astounding coverage and Blaziken’s great power, together Greninja and Mega Blaziken 2HKO at worst like more than 90% of the maison.

That’s basically Greninziken’s offensive synergy in a nutshell – but of course it isn’t perfect, nothing is. Both of them are really frail, and Greninja really isn’t that strong, so bulky opponents, really fast opponents, dual typings and the like can slip between their coverage. On top of that, Blaziken’s coverage movepool, put frankly, sucks – the only remotely useful options are Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Thunder Punch, of which Earthquake is undesirable with a grounded, non-Protect partner and has pretty redundant coverage with Fighting and Rock Slide and Thunder Punch are inaccurate and weak, respectively. (Rock Slide hits a bunch of targets four times super effectively and as such isn’t that weak in practice.)
Of course, we can just play and notice empirically what opponents are particularly problematic – or we can approach it methodically and see what typings resist Blaziken’s dual STAB and aren’t hit super effectively by Greninja’s standard set of Ice Beam / Grass Knot / Dark Pulse. These typings are few and far between, but in the Maison they’re the following:
-Fire / Flying
-Water / Poison
-Water / Flying

Fire / Flying obviously comes down to Moltres, Charizard, and Talonflame. Fortunately Greninja outruns all three of them, granting Blaziken two chances at hitting them with Rock Slide – but obviously Rock Slide can and will miss, so you need a backup plan for Moltres and Charizard. Talonflame is worse, for obvious Gale Wings reasons; the standard play is to Protect on Blaziken turn one and attack it with Dark Pulse. It always uses Brave Bird on Blaziken, so if it moves before Greninja, you know it’s Gale Wings – in which case you should switch out Blaziken to something that can take its Brave Bird as you have Greninja kill it. If it’s Flame Body, do whatever lol.
Water / Poison is solely Tentacruel, which actually loses to Greninja and Mega Blaziken together, but that involves them slowly muscling through it in a last-mon situation; otherwise, Tentacruel just sits there being a huge pain in the ass with Protect and spreading Toxic and Surf, putting Greninja and Mega Blaziken under huge, undesirable pressure – you need a reliable answer to it in order not to be in huge trouble if the remainder of the opposing team is anywhere near decent.
Water / Flying is... awful. It’s only one Pokemon you encounter on a regular basis:
889 | Gyarados4 | Careful | Chesto Berry | Dragon Dance | Aqua Tail | Earthquake | Rest | HP/SpD
...but then this happens:
252 SpA Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 64-76 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 87.1% chance to 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 68-80 (33.6 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Between Gyarados most likely having a partner that demands some attention, the inevitable Rock Slide miss, ChestoRest saying ‘lol cute damage bro’, and the ease with which this monster gets out of control, Super Singles lead Greninja’s archnemesis returns as what’s basically Greninziken’s Hurrrrrrnadus. It never gave me any real trouble in triples, though, for obvious Mega Manectric reasons, so an Electric-type or at least an Electric-type attack would make sense for the backups. In the Clawitzer run, I considered jumping through a bunch of hoops to get a Blaziken with Thunder Punch over Rock Slide for Gyarados coverage + perfect accuracy, but Thunder Punch is a rather unfortunate case in that it misses the KO on every single one of these targets (assuming Intimidate Gyara iirc), aka the only targets it’s meant to hit – and when it comes down to it, I’d rather take a 90% to OHKO Moltres/Charizard over a 0% chance to do so. I even started considering Stone Edge on Garchomp for this sole target (whaaat...)

In addition to these threats, there are also a couple of things that resist Flare Blitz, are too light to be hit hard by Low Kick, and aren’t hit hard by Greninja, which are generally a couple of Water-types such as Vaporeon4 (lol@Carbink). Now, what covers all these Pokemon? ...why, none other than the legendary HP Electric Gastrodon of course! That honestly was the first thing that came to mind, but I quickly shelved it because it outright lost to Talonflame and struggled against Gyarados of all things (needs Storm Drain boost to even 2HKO, admittedly this was before I had heard of Clear Smog on it). Approaching it more methodically, I listed all characteristics the desired backup should have:
-a strong Electric-type move (i.e. Thunderbolt) in order to easily dispatch of all listed problematic threats;
-a Flying resistance in order to comfortably switch in on Talonflame’s Brave Bird;
-good natural bulk in order to function properly under Trick Room;
-a Ground immunity because you kinda need that with Blaziken’s Earthquake weakness;
-preferably a base Speed of (positive-natured) 87 or (neutral-natured) 100 in order to outrun +1 Gyarados4;
-ideally a base Speed of outright >90 (for Moltres) or >100 (for Charizard), but whatever on this one really
...yeah that should be it. Sounds easy, right? ....well honestly, no. The first two points basically mandate an Electric-type, Ground-immune Electric-types are virtually nonexistent without resorting to Air Balloon, and I didn’t really want to use Rotom-W because of its low Speed and horrible movepool (both getting outrun by +1 Gyarados and having to run HP Water as a secondary STAB move was too much really). I have nearly every main series game except the odd parallel version, and on all those games there was literally one Pokemon available that checked all the boxes: Zapdos.
(124 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 204-240 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, yeaaah – and I obviously was planning on using more SpA anyway lol)
Fortunately I was gonna play through my friend’s HG anyway in order to RNG Suicune (which I unfortunately had already caught on my SS before I learned RNG) as well as a few other legendaries, so I had the opportunity to get a flawless one on short notice. However, I obviously had only one chance to catch one, so I had to get its nature and Hidden Power right immediately – as such, I asked our resident genius turskain if Timid HP Ice -which I was planning on using- was the way to go. However, he recommended me to ditch Zapdos altogether and go with Thundurus-T instead, for a multitude of reasons:
-better offensive movepool; Zapdos’s coverage movepool is basically limited to the highly iffy Heat Wave and super duper weak Hidden Power, whereas Thundurus trades Heat Wave for the extremely powerful Grass Knot as well as Dark Pulse and some niche shit like Psychic / Flash Cannon / Sludge Bomb if you feel like using that sort of thing;
-one extra Speed point; honestly, base 101 is just so much better than 100 it’s just stupid;
-an Electric immunity; very, very much appreciated with a lead Greninja, especially that one time I faced an Electrode / Jolteon lead lol.
Zapdos’s advantages over Thundurus-T are natural bulk, which can largely be patched up with a custom EV spread, and a better support movepool with Tailwind and Roost, which I wasn’t planning on using anyway – who really needs Tailwind with Greninziken? turskain was right. Of course he was. Unfortunately, the only Thundurus I had was an imperfect one from Dream Radar. So I went to the game store, bought a used copy of White, got the requisite eight badges in like fifteen hours (that’s fast for me, I’m not a speedrunner k), and another eight painstaking hours later (the first 6,5 of which were spent trying to hit a frame that was apparently rendered too awkward by the rain from the cutscene, honestly this was –well almost- as hard as breeding a Chansey on Emerald), I caught a flawless HP Ice Thundurus in only my third BW RNG (after a practise Volcarona on Black and Cobalion on White). After getting it transferred, I was all set for my third team member.

For my fourth team member, I followed my tried-and-true Maison doubles team building process:
-take a lead pair consisting of, preferably, a nuke and a supportive sniper;
-add a backup that covers most of their weaknesses;
-add Scizor.
...well obviously there was a little more to it than that, but Scizor was basically an immediate fit. I wanted a bulky-ish priority user, and Scizor was preferred over Conkeldurr and Azumarill because of its astouding defensive typing and because Conkeldurr seemed to have bad offensive synergy with Blaziken and Azumarill plays a much worse anti-counter game with Thundurus-T, with Scizor covering both of its weaknesses in Rock and Ice and Azumarill being a lot weaker and missing out on the more dangerous Ice.

That’s it. Thundurus-T was a drain plug patching up all major and most minor holes the already super-powerful Greninziken had, and Scizor’s awesome priority, bulk, power, and defensive typing added some much appreciated consistency and fall-back options. Without further ado:

By-Tor (Greninja) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/4-5/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Mat Block
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot

Greninja’s standard set in Triples works great in Doubles as well, featuring a great offensive type in Ice Beam, its potentially most powerful move in Grass Knot, and an anti-TR move in Dark Pulse. Because Thundurus-T runs Grass Knot as well, I considered swapping it out for Scald before starting my streak, but I decided to stick with GK at first because I knew it was better in a vacuum – and it was around battle 300 that I thought ‘oh yeah I was supposed to see if Scald might be better than GK,’ so I guess I didn’t really miss Scald. Grass Knot is probably worth sticking with for Gastrodon if anything, because that one isn’t hit hard by any other move and can get out of control rapidly, as well as its great power.

Flashheart (Blaziken) @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31/31/31/21-24/31/31
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Low Kick
-Rock Slide
-Protect
Completely standard, with its most powerful and reliable STAB options and its least useless coverage option, as well as Protect, which works especially great in tandem with Speed Boost. Rock Slide is used considerably more in doubles than in triples so I expect to lose this streak a lot sooner than that one, but until now I’ve managed to get away with it because it’s still got very specific targets and I’ve got a secondary check/backup plan to most of them....

Thundurus-T @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Timid
IVs: 31/8/30/31/31/31
EVs: 164 HP / 8 Def / 84 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Dark Pulse
-Volt Switch
The elusive missing piece of the puzzle... Thundurus makes good use of Choice Specs, which also frees up Life Orb for Scizor, which needs it more. The bulky spread is essential in order not to have the team become too glass cannony, and its Special Attack is so stupidly high that it can easily afford it. The EV spread is turskain’s ‘Zapdos but not Zapdos’ spread, which he came up with when he wanted to replace Zapdos on one of his Triples teams with an Electric-immune Electric / Flying-type with a better offensive movepool. The SpA EVs put it one point below fully invested Timid Zapdos, allowing the rest to be invested into bulk, which results in around 5-10% less bulk than Zapdos, still allowing it to survive attacks such as Vaporeon4’s Ice Beam. Even with the bulky spread, Thundurus-T hits literally as hard as max SpA Specs Zapdos, which obviously is plenty. The bulk is essential, and those 21 HP have directly decided several battles in my favour. As for the moves, Thunderbolt obviously is the go-to STAB move, while Grass Knot is Thundurus’s best coverage option. For the third move, I was planning on using HP Ice, but upon further reflection I wasn’t sure that was the best option; it was obviously rather redundant with Greninja’s Ice Beam and has a rather low amount of targets (basically only the 4x Ice-weaks, not to mention Thundurus-T doesn’t stand a chance against Garchomp with or without HP Ice because of that one having Stone Edge and a base 102 Speed to counter-troll Thundy’s 101), while I was worried about my TR matchup. As such, I opted for Dark Pulse instead. With Protect’s unavailability, Volt Switch is the best fourth move on a Choiced set; essentially, it’s a STAB move that bypasses the lock-in effect. It also pairs wonderfully with Greninja’s Mat Block, allowing you to reset it after switching Greninja out of, for instance, an Electric-type lead. Volt Absorb is a pretty sweet ability because Greninja is often forced out by the faster Electric-types Electrode, Jolteon, and Manectric4, so having a Pokemon immune to those is excellent. It’s not entirely essential because Greninja is holding Focus Sash for a reason, but that doesn’t help when facing two of those opponents at once or in case of parahax + immediate full paralysis (which still happened on one occasion, when facing lead Altaria – which mandates an immediate Ice Beam – and Electrode; fortunately, Altaria targeted Greninja on turn 1, which allowed Blaziken to use Protect on its Sing turn 2 and Greninja – which didn’t get fully paralyzed – to kill it after all). Nevertheless, Volt Absorb is a far cry from Lightningrod, which is a tad ironic considering how cruelly GameFreak took the dream of Lightningrod Zapdos away from us haha. (On the flip side, that one would be an absolute terror to face in the maison, so I guess it’s not that bad.)

Gene (Scizor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
IVs: 31/31/31/6-7/31/31
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Superpower
-Protect
Again, completely standard set, with enough Speed to reach 91, right above the crowded 90 tier and nasties such as Lanturn4.

Aside from the obvious Veterans and Mara, the trainer I fear most is probably Rasmus, specifically Sand Rush Excadrill (which is extremely hard to stop if Blaziken is dead; incidentally, regular Blaziken doesn’t outrun it with a single Speed Boost and as such is completely unviable on this team lol) and Scarfchomp (which Blaziken needs two Speed Boosts to outrun and dgaf about Greninja’s Sash with that usually having been broken by sand already. Having to guess the set isn’t fun either). This team doesn’t have Tailwind to counter those (which admittedly is too niche on a fast team like this if you have only sixteen moveslots available), so yeah. Roller Skaters are pretty darn scary as well, with the potential to run a bunch of Scarfers and other very dangerous sets; an Aerodactyl + Gyarados3 lead even is a likely streak-ender. That same Gyarados3 is one of the more dangerous foes too because it outspeeds and OHKOes my Gyarados counter Thundurus-T with Stone Edge after a single DD; fortunately, it ‘should’ prefer to attack Blaziken turn 1, but it doesn’t always do so and I’m forced to skip Mat Block to use GK on any lead Gyarados from a Roller Skater ‘just in case’. Trick Room in general also isn’t something I’m keen on facing, but it turned out to be less of a problem than I thought: Greninja can turn into a good defensive type via Protean (which against Psychics/Hex Maniacs generally is Dark and against Slowthings generally is Grass) and as such survive for a considerable amount of time, Blaziken usually demands total attention for at least one turn and can capitalise on that with Protect, and Thundurus-T’s and Scizor’s good bulk and defensive typing have always allowed me to pull through until now. As an additional note, Thundurus’s base 101 Speed conveniently is below most of the fast stuff used by Hex Maniacs e.a. (such as Starmie / Alakazam / Espeon / Froslass; also killed a boosted Volcarona under TR one time lol), which is pretty cool.
Regarding individual Pokemon, Volcarona is basically the only Rock Slide target that isn’t covered properly by Thundurus (basically everything) or Greninja (Chandelure) and as such requires a lot of caution. Fortunately Flare Blitz does only a bit less than Rock Slide and Speed Boost allows Blaziken to remain ahead of it so even in case of a miss there are ways around it, but this is basically the opponent that makes me curse Rock Slide’s inaccuracy most. Lanturn4 has a gr8 defensive typing and is as light as a feather and as such isn’t hit hard by anything Greninziken can throw at it – basically, I try to keep it under pressure and kill it last by spamming Dark Pulse + Rock Slide and haxing my way through it. I know, ‘how tf can you rely on hax in the maison,’ but Dark Pulse + Rock Slide have around a 41% flinch rate together iirc (taking accuracy into account) and once its Chesto Berry is used up a single flinch or crit is often enough to beat it, so it isn’t that bad... The non-Scarfed / non-Zapdos2 legendaries I’m probably least keen of facing are Latios/Latias1 because Flare Blitz + Greninja attack doesn’t KO them and they have Lax Incense for additional hilarity, so when facing them I’m forced to either waste Blaziken’s second turn with Protect or take the risk of sacking it outright – fortunately, it’s never had too drastic consequences yet. There probably are more that I’m forgetting right now, and of course there are also the fast nasties such as Aerodactyl and Darmanitan4 that I can handle fine by themselves but will obviously cause trouble if I face multiple of them at the same time, but hey, that’s doubles for you.

#441: TJXG-WWWW-WWXZ-DWA2
A battle against Rasmus that quickly went to hell because he brought his two most dangerous backups in Scarfchomp and Sand Rush Excadrill, with Scarfchomp also killing Greninja (which had its Sash removed by Tyranitar’s sand) and Blaziken (perfect targeting) with Outrage. It came down to Thundurus locked into GK versus (a damaged Excadrill), and I was one crit away from losing – however, Thundurus survived with exactly 21 HP lol.
#570: WUBG-WWWW-WWXZ-DWJ7
A horrible lead pair in Shiftry4 + Gale Wings Talonflame, with Shiftry using Fake Out on Greninja turn 1. Muk4 was another dangerous backup (as well as the always annoying Weezing4); however, it didn’t get really dangerous because of no hax going the AI’s way and an opportune Dark Pulse flinch on Muk.
#841: 7TFG-WWWW-WWXZ-DWDS
I’m not afraid of lead Gyarados – switch in Thundurus-T under Mat Block and click Volt Switch while laughing. I am afraid of a Roller Skater leading with Gyarados though, because it could be Gyarados3, which outspeeds both Thundurus and Greninja after one DD and OHKOes Thundurus with Stone Edge. As such, whenever a Roller Skater leads with Gyarados, I’m basically forced to switch out Blaziken for Thundurus and target it with GK – if it’s Gyara4 I can let Thundurus kill it, while GK 2HKOes it if it’s Gyara3 (which ‘should’ prefer to Waterfall the shit out of Blaziken anyway rather than set up – but unfortunately doesn’t always do so, which made a different battle that I didn’t save become really scary.) This time, it fortunately was Gyara4 using Aqua Tail – unfortunately, its partner was Ampharos, which paralyzed Greninja with Thunder and killed it next turn. The parahax probably would have caused an instant loss had that been Gyara3 using DD. Anyway, VS back to Blaziken and send out the weakened Thundurus to replace Greninja – as Talonflame is sent out. Standard play is Protect Blaziken + kill with Greninja, which Thundurus obviously does better – but Talonflame targets the less attractive Thundurus with Flare Blitz and KOes it. I send out Scizor, but at this point it’s once again an instant loss if Talonflame is Gale Wings. It’s Flame Body (or was targeting Scizor lol), Rock Slide kills it, and the last mon Yanmega isn’t too much of a problem. Ampharos paralyzed Blaziken with Thunder too somewhere along the way lol. While this battle didn’t come down to a sliver of HP on my part, my streak would have ended on the spot had I had a little more bad luck with the matchup :<

When I started using this team, I admittedly had forgotten how ridiculous Mega Blaziken’s power is, but even then I never would have expected it to perform this well. I was aiming to beat my Mega Gardevoir / Weavile record and reach top 10 (which in the light of a few other streaks being ongoing came down to reaching 325+), which I already considered to be enough of a challenge considering my previous Greninziken records, and after reaching that I aimed for the 545+ required for a secure top 5 spot (again in the light of other ongoing streaks) – but even after reaching second place I had a hard time believing I might actually be on my way to 1000, especially considering how elusive a benchmark this is in doubles. This streak felt way more like the 810 singles streak than the 1001 (1015 now but w/e) triples streak – in the triples streak everything short of 1000 would have been an underperformance considering the team’s potential, whereas I knew for both singles and doubles that the teams definitely were beatable but I maintained consistency and kept on somehow winning the difficult matchups, lucking out on a semi-regular basis, and avoiding that one /too/ difficult matchup. It's really really awkward standing among (or above ;_;) the giants on top of those leaderboards.
As for this streak, I don't like to leave stuff abandoned so I'll certainly wrap it up at some point, but I'm not sure how motivated I am right now. 1000 is already way, way more than I would have signed up for, and unlike in triples there are no reasonable targets ahead on the leaderboard (come on I'm not gonna beat Eppie, my luck just has to run out before then) - not to mention it might be smart to wait until somebody else (turskain???) hits 1000 because I seem to perform a lot better when I'm chasing something. The most satisfying part would be to have Greninziken *finally* play out their true potential, and no matter how far I'll end up bringing them, I hope I managed to do that. I don't have any other promising ongoing streaks right now (haven't touched singles since I lost, I lost rotations at 149 with an improved version of my X team because it's just way too vulnerable to crits and that was when the consecutive crits happened on Clefable - from what seemed to be a Super Luck Togekiss - and multi doesn't count), so I guess it's back to triples now. Whenever I get bored of the maison I seem to end up returning a week later and cranking out 100 battles per day (this streak was at 250-ish when I posted my triples streak and I resumed it last weekend) so idk when that will be, but whatever. I've got two ongoing 1000+ streak right now and that's kinda cool.

Thanks for reading, stay awesome, and good luck, everyone ^^
This is… a bit disappointing. Happened last Saturday but I couldn't get round to posting it sooner, so here we go.

#1029: QAUW-WWWW-WWXR-KVHM
battle #1029 recap: Vs. Roller Skater Ryker

Turn 1

vs.

A Roller Skater leading with Raichu is dangerous because of the possibility of Raichu3's Fake Out... however, on the other hand, if it's the set4s I don't feel like eating a powerful attack from Ampharos, and Raichu4's Encore is pretty damn annoying as well, as is Raichu's presence altogether because I have to anticipate Lightningrod. I decide to remove the annoyance as fast as possible, so I click Mat Block and attack Raichu with Flare Blitz.

-Greninja used Mat Block;
-Raichu used Thunder Wave on Greninja;
-Mega Blaziken used Flare Blitz on Raichu; The opposing Raichu hung on using its Focus Sash! The opposing Raichu's Static paralyzed Mega Blaziken!
-The opposing Ampharos used Thunder! Thunder was blocked by the kicked-up mat!

Turn 2

vs.
PRZ
PRZ
'lol'. Paralysis happens I guess if you face a Roller Skater without using Mega Manectric, but double paralysis is a bit more annoying. Raichu3 is now gonna be dangerous with a full-powered Reversal, but using Protect on Blaziken won't do any good – even if it does target Blaziken, due to the paralysis Blaziken will still be slower than Raichu next turn, so I'm just delaying the inevitable and taking the risk of seeing Greninja get double targeted. I do what makes most sense, which is attack Ampharos with Blaziken and finish off Raichu with Greninja.

-Raichu used Reversal on Mega Blaziken – KO;
-Ampharos used Focus Blast on Greninja – miss;
-Greninja used Ice Beam on Raichu – KO;
-Go! Scizor!
-Ryker sends out Charizard

Turn 3

vs.
PRZ

In hindsight, locking Greninja into its most terrible defensive typing was not the greatest idea, but Charizard showing up is really, really bad. I chose to send out Scizor over Thundurus because Thundurus has to either lock itself into a non-STAB move or lock itself into Thunderbolt, which doesn't really do anything to Ampharos and might backfire tremendously when Zebstrika / Jolteon / Gliscor / Electivire / you name em shows up. Ryker counters with the worst possible Pokemon for Scizor to face from a Roller Skater in Charizard – my only choice is to Protect with Scizor and hope Greninja is KOed so that I can bring in Thundurus – Charizard has Heat Wave so that should be fine and Ampharos 'should' prefer to Focus Blast Greninja.

-Scizor used Protect;
-Charizard used Heat Wave – Greninja 1HP;
-Greninja used Ice Beam on Ampharos – 70%. Ampharos is frozen solid!

Turn 4
FRZ
vs.
PRZ

...well, maybe Ampharos remaining frozen for a couple of turns will give Thundurus some breating room? Means I need to weaken that Ampharos a bit further though, so that Thundurus can one-shot it...

-Scizor used Bullet Punch on Ampharos – 30%;
-Charizard used Heat Wave – Greninja, Scizor KO;
-Ampharos is frozen solid;
-Go! Thundurus-T!

Turn 5
FRZ
vs.

Come on Thundurus, you crazy idiot! Pray that this is Zard4 and outrun and OHKO it, pray that the last mon is something you can handle, and let that Ampharos remain frozen for a couple more turns...

-Charizard3 used Heat Wave – Thundurus-T 50%;
-Thundurus-T used Thunderbolt on Charizard – KO;
-Ampharos thawed out! Ampharos used Power Gem on Thundurus-T – KO.

...nope.

So how could I have prevented this? Obviously I made the right play on turn 5, but it's not like that turn could reasonably be screwed up, and turn 4 looks about right as well, considering how the only other possibility was a double Protect, which 'never works' and even then must be repeated next turn once again at the risk of the Charizard being the Scarf one – then it makes a lot more sense to secure that KO on Ampharos for Thundurus if it ever gets round to that.
As for turn 3 – I think my reasoning why I wanted to keep Thundurus on the bench is sound, because you really want to know the lastmon before choosing what to lock yourself into and it can't touch Ampharos anyway so you just have to hope Ryker sends out a Flying-type. I don't think I can be blamed for not guessing Charizard3 – which honestly had me put in a checkmate position at that point.
Turn 2 was horrible, but I don't think I could have done anything else – hard switching in Scizor wasn't an option because it's 2HKOed by all attacks, Protecting on Blaziken would only delay the inevitable and could result in even worse things if Greninja had been double targeted, and hard switching in Thundurus wasn't the greatest idea either because what was it gonna do lol. Incidentally, Ampharos's miss didn't really work in my favour either because the sooner the useless Greninja was dead and I could get a free switch to a fresh Thundurus and Scizor the better, but w/e.
So that leaves turn 1. Mat Blocking against possible Raichu3 and a Thunder Wave party is a misplay no matter how you look at it – but since Raichu initially outruns Blaziken and lolStatic I couldn't have prevented that double paralysis in practice, like at all, if I had kept Greninja and/or Blaziken in. Obviously Thundurus-T absorbs Thunder Wave, but it's not like I can predict who Raichu is gonna target. It possibly would have made most sense to switch out Greninja for Thundurus, pray that Ampharos doesn't do anything funky, and attack Raichu – then I should be able to KO Raichu turn 2 with Thundurus-T's Dark Pulse and go from there, with a 50% Thund and possibly a paralyzed Blaziken? At least I could have had reset Mat Block, but that wouldn't have mattered that much with Ryker having Zard3 in the wings. Just goes to show that the matchup was pretty nasty and the battle was essentially lost after turn 1 (unless 'guess Zard3' lol). The thing I was most afraid of was that I'd lose this streak because I'd derp around immensely because I'd just hit 1000, but even while it wasn't played that great (and some of the hax went my way lol), it wasn't your typical right after a milestone loss either, so that's a small consolation I guess.

As of right now, I think this is pretty much it for Greninziken. I'm definitely gonna revisit previous teams, but I'd rather pick one that has more than a snowball's chance in hell to beat its record, lol. It's kinda bizarre that a lead that I stumbled upon on youtube could have this much potential haha, and I guess it's been a pretty rewarding year playing with them. In spite of everything, 1028 is something I would have signed up for :p I genuinely think this is the best Greninziken variant possible, and with all lucky breaks I've had before I don't think it would make sense to be trying to beat this..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VaporeonIce, you're probably gonna remain in the triples top 5 for a while longer because I lost battle 1421 earlier today when Zapdos2 decided to show up, go on a rampage, dodge a fuckton of attacks, and end up beating Azu one-on-one with like 5 HP remaining (using Protect the final turn would have secured the victory because of hail damage, but a high Aqua Jet damage roll was enough and I'd auto-lose if it Roosted.) I'll post that battle later, once I get over it, I guess... Was a pretty close battle obviously so should receive more than a picture and a battle video code, but now I'm not up to it at all and I'm not sure when I will be. Losing a streak of 'technically' 2000+ (sorry that I'm bitching once again about this) with precisely this team in only the second close call on the entire run(s) sucks pretty bad if it's not actually 2000+ and only puts you on the sixth place rather than the top 3 position that I really feel this team deserves – I still think I've let this team down and that I'm not at the proper playing level to bring this team where it belongs. I might do the first couple of hundreds of a new streak on the train and work on a new one during the summer, but on the other hand maybe this is the right moment to finally take a break for real >__> I'm probably gonna have to show some GG Unit / Eppie-level dedication if I actually want to bring this team to 2000 hehe; and I'm not gonna maintain multiple 1000+ streak at the same time again, to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

(legit congrats though, even though I can imagine my disappointment with myself right now makes it come off a bit insincere; I'm really impressed how you managed to teambuild around all of Endeavor Aron's weaknesses... makes me curious what GG Unit would come up with in triples if he cared about that mode haha)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(sorry about the negative post guys...)

Attachments

Last edited:
Man, The Dutch Plumberjack , that's harsh to face both of those losses in a short time period. Sorry for that; I know from experience how painful it is to lose one long streak, so losing both really sucks.

I can't say enough how impressed I am by your teams. 1000 wins in Doubles is mindblowing, and you've had an amazing run in Triples too. You were the second person to join the 2x 1000 club too (after turskain ), which is amazing.

Take some time away, go outside and stuff, and get some distance from it. Come back when it seems fun again. Congrats!

Chin up, Dutch. You aren't going anywhere on the leaderboard for a long time, either. It's extremely impressive that you've gone as far as you did. I still love that your triples streak was built around one of the less popular Megas, and you deserve a lot of credit for molding your own team instead of purely using someone else's builds.

This is… a bit disappointing. Happened last Saturday but I couldn't get round to posting it sooner, so here we go.

Turn 1

vs.

A Roller Skater leading with Raichu is dangerous because of the possibility of Raichu3's Fake Out... however, on the other hand, if it's the set4s I don't feel like eating a powerful attack from Ampharos, and Raichu4's Encore is pretty damn annoying as well, as is Raichu's presence altogether because I have to anticipate Lightningrod. I decide to remove the annoyance as fast as possible, so I click Mat Block and attack Raichu with Flare Blitz.

-Mega Blaziken used Flare Blitz on Raichu; The opposing Raichu hung on using its Focus Sash! The opposing Raichu's Static paralyzed Mega Blaziken!

Turn 2

vs.
PRZ
PRZ
'lol'. Paralysis happens I guess if you face a Roller Skater without using Mega Manectric, but double paralysis is a bit more annoying. Raichu3 is now gonna be dangerous with a full-powered Reversal, but using Protect on Blaziken won't do any good – even if it does target Blaziken, due to the paralysis Blaziken will still be slower than Raichu next turn, so I'm just delaying the inevitable and taking the risk of seeing Greninja get double targeted. I do what makes most sense, which is attack Ampharos with Blaziken and finish off Raichu with Greninja.

-Go! Scizor!

Turn 3

vs.
PRZ

In hindsight, locking Greninja into its most terrible defensive typing was not the greatest idea, but Charizard showing up is really, really bad. I chose to send out Scizor over Thundurus because Thundurus has to either lock itself into a non-STAB move or lock itself into Thunderbolt, which doesn't really do anything to Ampharos and might backfire tremendously when Zebstrika / Jolteon / Gliscor / Electivire / you name em shows up. Ryker counters with the worst possible Pokemon for Scizor to face from a Roller Skater in Charizard – my only choice is to Protect with Scizor and hope Greninja is KOed so that I can bring in Thundurus – Charizard has Heat Wave so that should be fine and Ampharos 'should' prefer to Focus Blast Greninja.

-Scizor used Protect;

Turn 4
FRZ
vs.
PRZ

...well, maybe Ampharos remaining frozen for a couple of turns will give Thundurus some breating room? Means I need to weaken that Ampharos a bit further though, so that Thundurus can one-shot it...

-Go! Thundurus-T!

Turn 5
FRZ
vs.

Come on Thundurus, you crazy idiot! Pray that this is Zard4 and outrun and OHKO it, pray that the last mon is something you can handle, and let that Ampharos remain frozen for a couple more turns...

...nope.

So how could I have prevented this? Obviously I made the right play on turn 5, but it's not like that turn could reasonably be screwed up, and turn 4 looks about right as well, considering how the only other possibility was a double Protect, which 'never works' and even then must be repeated next turn once again at the risk of the Charizard being the Scarf one – then it makes a lot more sense to secure that KO on Ampharos for Thundurus if it ever gets round to that.
As for turn 3 – I think my reasoning why I wanted to keep Thundurus on the bench is sound, because you really want to know the lastmon before choosing what to lock yourself into and it can't touch Ampharos anyway so you just have to hope Ryker sends out a Flying-type. I don't think I can be blamed for not guessing Charizard3 – which honestly had me put in a checkmate position at that point.
Turn 2 was horrible, but I don't think I could have done anything else – hard switching in Scizor wasn't an option because it's 2HKOed by all attacks, Protecting on Blaziken would only delay the inevitable and could result in even worse things if Greninja had been double targeted, and hard switching in Thundurus wasn't the greatest idea either because what was it gonna do lol. Incidentally, Ampharos's miss didn't really work in my favour either because the sooner the useless Greninja was dead and I could get a free switch to a fresh Thundurus and Scizor the better, but w/e.
So that leaves turn 1. Mat Blocking against possible Raichu3 and a Thunder Wave party is a misplay no matter how you look at it – but since Raichu initially outruns Blaziken and lolStatic I couldn't have prevented that double paralysis in practice, like at all, if I had kept Greninja and/or Blaziken in. Obviously Thundurus-T absorbs Thunder Wave, but it's not like I can predict who Raichu is gonna target. It possibly would have made most sense to switch out Greninja for Thundurus, pray that Ampharos doesn't do anything funky, and attack Raichu – then I should be able to KO Raichu turn 2 with Thundurus-T's Dark Pulse and go from there, with a 50% Thund and possibly a paralyzed Blaziken? At least I could have had reset Mat Block, but that wouldn't have mattered that much with Ryker having Zard3 in the wings. Just goes to show that the matchup was pretty nasty and the battle was essentially lost after turn 1 (unless 'guess Zard3' lol). The thing I was most afraid of was that I'd lose this streak because I'd derp around immensely because I'd just hit 1000, but even while it wasn't played that great (and some of the hax went my way lol), it wasn't your typical right after a milestone loss either, so that's a small consolation I guess.

As of right now, I think this is pretty much it for Greninziken. I'm definitely gonna revisit previous teams, but I'd rather pick one that has more than a snowball's chance in hell to beat its record, lol. It's kinda bizarre that a lead that I stumbled upon on youtube could have this much potential haha, and I guess it's been a pretty rewarding year playing with them. In spite of everything, 1028 is something I would have signed up for :p I genuinely think this is the best Greninziken variant possible, and with all lucky breaks I've had before I don't think it would make sense to be trying to beat this..
I believe switching Greninja to Scizor on turn 1 is the best play, here. Paralysis hinders him the least; he can clean up a Raichu knocked to its sash 75% of the time, worst case; it alleviates the issues of Fake Out or Encore (though it doesn't solve either entirely); and it's neither OHKO'd by Ampharos, nor do you particularly mind losing it to a Roller Skater as long as Blaziken gets a good hit on turn 1. (Literally every single pokemon in Ryker's pool resists one or two of Scizor's three attacking moves. Many leave Bullet Punch as his only reasonable attack. Several resist both his STABs without being weak to the coverage move. A handful resist all three. Scizor's best use in this battle is clearly going to be cleaning up a problem poke and then fainting to give the free switch, and I think this was the best chance you had to get that from him.)

But, enh, hindsight's 20/20. 2^10 wins is a victory in and of itself, regardless of how the loss went.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've recently been seeing strange behaviour in Triples regarding Storm Drain. The Dutch Plumberjack also reported seeing Raichu using Thunderbolt even after Lightning Rod was activated.

In Doubles, the AI completely stops using Water attacks once it has seen Storm Drain. With 1000+ battles using Gastrodon in that mode, I am certain of that. In Triples, this sometimes seems to happen, but sometimes the AI violates this rule and uses Water attacks into Storm Drain anyway. What gives?

To test this, I recorded an ORAS Maison Triples battle video with Dewgong4 in it; Dewgong4's moveset is Surf/Rain Dance/Stockpile/Rest. As a mono-Water attacker, it's a great edge case to test this with; in Doubles, if Gastrodon's Storm Drain has activated it will avoid using Surf at all costs, preferring to use Stockpile and Rain Dance (even at max boosts and Rain already up) over using Surf.

I've uploaded this battle video so you can try it yourself: #757 - STRW-WWWW-WWXS-A2MG vs. Kingdra/Lapras/Ludicolo/Floatzel/Weezing/Dewgong

The results were as follows - positions are from the player's perspective, same as Triples warstories:

Dewgong on the left
Gastrodon on the left
--> AI behaviour is identical to Doubles - Surf is not used

Dewgong on the left
Gastrodon in the center

Dewgong on the left
Gastrodon on the right
--> AI uses Surf - since the Storm Drain user is out of its range and will not absorb the hit, this is expected, sane behaviour

So far so good. In the left position, Dewgong behaved exactly like it would be expected to based on AI behaviour in Doubles.

Next up, Dewgong was moved in to the center by KOing the enemies in a different order in the next mock battle.

Dewgong in the center
Gastrodon on the left
--> AI uses Surf despite Storm Drain activating repeatedly

Dewgong in the center
Gastrodon in the center

Dewgong in the center
Gastrodon on the right

We see moves that would explain some of the strange behaviour I've encountered. Finally, I got Dewgong into the right-side position.

Dewgong on the right
Gastrodon on the left
--> AI uses Surf - since the Storm Drain user is out of its range and will not absorb the hit, this is expected, sane behaviour

Dewgong on the right
Gastrodon in the center

Dewgong on the right
Gastrodon on the right

Very unexpectedly, the right-side position behaves differently from the left-side position, featuring deviant Surf usage with Dewgong and Gastrodon facing each other on the right.

These are weird results, but they fit with other instances of AI behaviour in Triples - the Lightning Rod Raichu incident reported by Plumberjack had the offending Raichu in the center position and Manectric on the right (it had been switched out and brought back in on Talonflame's position) - the fact that his Manectric is in the center position most of the time would explain why he does not encounter weird behaviour as often but did encounter it this one time, as the AI always behaves identically to Doubles and as expected with Storm Drain in the center based on this testing.

A summary of AI behaviour regarding Storm Drain and MT Water moves based on this testing with Dewgong:

Enemy Pokémon in the left-side position - AI behaves identically to Doubles
Enemy Pokémon in the center position - AI behaves identically to Doubles if Storm Drain is in the center, but deviates if Storm Drain is on the left or on the right
Enemy Pokémon in the right-side position - AI behaves identically to Doubles if Storm Drain is in the center, but deviates is Storm Drain is on the right

Or, just the deviant circumstances:

Storm Drain on the left OR the right AND enemy in the center: AI can use Water moves unlike in Doubles
Storm Drain on the right AND enemy on the right: AI can use Water moves unlike in Doubles
Storm Drain user on the right AND enemy anywhere (by extension): AI can use Water moves unlike in Doubles

This test only covered Surf, a multi-target Water-type attack. Howewer, Plumberjack's warstory featured a single-target Thunderbolt, and I've encountered deviant Hydro Pump and Waterfall usage in Triples myself. I've been confused about Storm Drain's effect on AI behaviour in Triples for some time, but these results seem to explain it.

For reference, here is Plumberjack's Lightnind Rod battle report from #battlemaison:
2015-04-14 16:00:56 <plumberjack> turska: got a documented lightningrod failure
2015-04-14 16:01:24 <plumberjack> #1406: vs. nidoking4 (left) / raichu4 (mid) / tyrantrum4 (right)
2015-04-14 16:01:52 <plumberjack> turn 1: mat block, switch out manectric for hydreigon, taunt raichu to prevent it from being annoying and because bb doesn't do anything relevant
2015-04-14 16:02:15 <plumberjack> turn 2: ice beam nidoking, dragon pulse tyrantrum, switch out talonflame for manectric, which gets a lightningrod boost
2015-04-14 16:02:49 <plumberjack> turn 3: AI sends in venusaur and jolteon, mega evolve manectric and protect to outspeed raichu and jolteon (because jolteon might get funny with hyper beam), and raichu still uses tbolt??
2015-04-14 16:03:04 <plumberjack> X22W-WWWW-WWXS-WS5T
2015-04-14 16:03:45 <plumberjack> in case it might be interesting...

I also just tested Lightning Rod by mock battling Plumberjack's battle video above - with Lightning Rod Raichu on the right-side position like Manectric in the log, Raichu used T-Bolt on T1 and instantly used T-Bolt into Rod again on T2. T3, both Raichu and Jolteon used Thunderbolt - Raichu eventually boosted to +6 off of Lightning Rod, and it didn't seem to deter Jolteon and Raichu (right and center, respectively) at all. The behaviour was consistent with the Storm Drain findings, though I only tested Raichu on the right instead of all positions and combinations.

Last edited:
I (unintentionally) lied during the 2,000 post as I ended up continuing the streak.

Battle 4,000; UEHW-WWWW-WWXS-YWR2

Team:

Dusclops (F) @ Evliote ** Redrum
Nature: Relaxed
Trait: Frisk
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/00
EVs: 252 HP/126 Def/132 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 stats: 147/90/273/71/250/27
Moveset: Trick Room/Foresight/Night Shade/Brick Break

Trick Room;
Trick Room twists the dimensions which is needed to make use of the most effective and deadliest Maison Doubles strategy to date; sweeping the AI with a level 1 Aron and a bulky, hard hitting back-up. By using Trick Room and relatively slow Pokémon, speed EVs can be shifted to HP, Defense and Special Defense which allows those slow Pokémon to become incredibly bulky, and Aron to move first on anything without priority moves/items.

Foresight;
Foresight allows Aron to hit Ghost types which is one of the most annoying type for Trick Room teams. Foresight also ''ignores'' Double Team users who try to stall, and allows Kangaskhan to wreck havoc with Fake Out / Double-Edge after Mega evolving.

Night Shade;
Night Shade deals consistant damage which is ideal for a Pokémon with only base 90 Attack, uninvested. Night Shade takes out every non Sitrus Berry Pokémon after a full HP Endeavor from Aron. The only real downside of Night Shade is being unable to hit Normal types.

Brick Break;
Brick Break allows Dusclops to take out Normal types who've been hit by Endeavor. It also ensures to take down Rampardos2 and Rampardos4 after Sitrus Berry activation, which is crucial given that it may have Mold Breaker. Bastiodon4 also falls to Endeavor + Brick Break despite of Sitrus Berry, although it isn't a real threat bar Rock Slide flinches.

''Redrum'' is a reference to Stephen King's ''The Shining'', which is murder spelled backwards.

Aron (M) @ Berry Juice ** Mithril
Trait: Sturdy
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: Zero
Lv. 1 stats: 12/6/7/4/6/5
Moveset: Endeavor/Toxic/Swagger/Protect

Endeavor;
Endeavor brings down the targeted Pokémon to 12 or 1 HP, depending on the condition of Aron. This allows me to take out the AI's Pokémon fairly easy with a combination of Endeavor + Night Shade/Brick Break, or even Fake Out/Mach Punch from my back-up.

Toxic;
Toxic is mainly used when facing dual Ghosts or Stall sets and probably 95% of the time when I face Cofagrigus, which removes Sturdy would I have Foresighted it with Dusclops. Spiritomb deserves special mention given that it likes to Sucker Punch Aron, and one of the sets has Substitute.

Swagger;
Swagger sounds like a filler move and while I have to admit that it isn't used much, it really, really isn't a filler move. It is by far better than Stealth Rock/Sleep Talk/Screech or Rain Dance/Sunny Day, unless you run Pokémon that benefit from the latter two. If you don't believe me I'd invite you to watch this battle video from the 1,296 run: AY5W-WWWW-WWWN-YNWH.

Protect;
Protect is mandatory as it allows Aron to go through turn 1 unscattered while Dusclops sets up Trick Room. Since Aron works like a magnet, Protect sees quite a lot of play in later turns, especially when I need to Foresight a Ghost type or to avoid damage from priority moves / twist the dimensions again.

''Mithril'' is a reference to J.R.R. Tolkien's ''Lord of the Ring's''. Mithril is a metal which is stronger than steel but light as a feather.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite ** Broadway
Nature: Brave
Trait: Scrappy/Parental Bond
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 (mega) stats: 212/194/120/77/121/94
Moveset: Fake Out/Double-Edge/Drain Punch/Sucker Punch

Fake Out;
Fake Out is one of the top 5 moves for Maison Doubles and combined with Scrappy/Parental Bond the main reason why I use Kangaskhan. Fake Out reaches a Base Power of 90 (!!) after Mega Evolving thanks to Parental Bond, guaranteeing that the targeted Pokémon will not strike back that turn, with a few exceptions aside (Inner Focus etc). The best part isn't actually the amount of damage it does after Mega Evolution, but the privilege of flinching Ghost types thanks to Scrappy. Consider Mega Kangaskhan for all your Doubles teams for the sole fact that it has access to Fake Out.

Double-Edge;
Double-Edge has pros and cons when comparing it with Return. Double-Edge, (in combination with Night Shade) allows Mega Kangaskhan to OHKO a lot of the AI's Pokémon at the cost of (heavy) recoil. Given that Kangaskhan usually moves before the AI and that Dusclops + Aron do most of the work, I really prefer Double-Edge over Return for critical situations, were Kangaskhan needs to deal as much damage as possible.

Drain Punch;
Drain Punch used to be Rock Slide during the 1,748 and 1,296 runs and was slashed in after I lost to Cradily because Walrein4 screwed me over. Drain Punch allows Kangskhan to restore HP lost from Double-Edge recoil or general damage received from the AI. While a Super Effective Drain Punch deals less damage than a (non resisted) Double-Edge, it is the better option against things that are in KO range to create durability for Kangaskhan.

Sucker Punch;
Sucker Punch deals with Ghost types which can be considered a threat to the team given that Dusclops has to Forrsight them first for Mega Kangaskhan to hit them otherwise. However, the main reason I run Sucker Punch (and not Crunch) is the fact that it has priority. Sucker Punch helps in situations were the AI outslows Kangaskhan during Trick Room, or outspeeds her when Trick Room isn't up (anymore).
Sucker Punch provides great coverage with Drain Punch, while the few Pokémon who'm resist the combination all fall to Double-Edge.

''Broadway is reference to nothing, really.''

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest ** Undisputed
Nature: Brave
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 108 HP/252 Atk/6 Def/144 Sp.Def
Lv. 50 stats: 194/211/116/75/154/45
Moveset: Drain Punch/Knock Off/Ice Punch/Mach Punch

Drain Punch;
Drain Punch is Conkeldurr's strongest accurate move that comes with no drawbacks, but heals it instead. Thanks to Iron Fist, Drain Punch reaches a Base Power of 146 which is incredibly strong.

Knock Off;
Knock Off received an amazing boost in Generation 6 and is one of the best moves for a Fighting type, thanks to it's secondary effect and movetype. Given that all Maison Pokémon have a held item, Knock Off has a Base Power of 97, most of the time.

Ice Punch;
Ice Punch deals with Grass and Flying types, while being boosted by Iron Fist. It provides great coverage for the team in general and OHKO's Pokémon like Landorus/Torterra/Hawlucha.

Mach Punch;
Mach Punch is a great priority move which helps against weakened mons when Trick Room has ran out. It is also boosted by Iron Fist, meaning that it reaches a decent Base Power (78), with priority. Conkeldurr's stats distribution and it's movepool make it the best (non mega) Trick Room attacker out there.

''Undisputed'' is a reference to the film series called ''Undisputed'', which is about the best prison fighters in the world.

There really isn't that much to say besides the fact that the record has been doubled since my last post.
For entertainment value, there are a few battle video's which I'd like to share with the community:

Battle 2,685; RGXG-WWWW-WWXS-YX5Y
Vs.

1HKO on Dusclops, 1HKO on Conkeldurr, no Trick Room

Battle 3,194; Y2WG-WWWW-WWXS-YX3J
Vs.

Walrein being awesome late game, Swagger seals the deal!

Battle 3,619; UZHW-WWWW-WWXS-YXW8
Vs.

Turn 1 freeze, the power of a solid back-up!

Battle 3,633; HL5W-WWWW-WWXS-YXX8
Vs.

Unpredictable Shiftry, misplays, Moxie Honchkrow and I'm out..

Battle 3,950; V3PG-WWWW-WWXS-YWT2
Vs.

Just another day at the (Zapdos) office

I was planning to continue the streak to see if I can get to 5,000 (or even higher) but for now I'm confident I will postpone any progress for the time being.
I'm slightly over 4,000 while writing this post but I have Majora's Mask 3DS waiting for 100% completion and I may give Rotations a shot.
Besides, the 4,000+ battles I've done so far have kinda psychologically exhausted me, hehe.

Turn 1

vs.

Turn 2

vs.
PRZ
PRZ

-Go! Scizor!

Turn 3

vs.
PRZ

-Scizor used Protect;

Turn 4
FRZ
vs.
PRZ

-Go! Thundurus-T!

Turn 5
FRZ
vs.

...nope.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VaporeonIce, you're probably gonna remain in the triples top 5 for a while longer because I lost battle 1421 earlier today when Zapdos2 decided to show up, go on a rampage, dodge a fuckton of attacks, and end up beating Azu one-on-one with like 5 HP remaining (using Protect the final turn would have secured the victory because of hail damage, but a high Aqua Jet damage roll was enough and I'd auto-lose if it Roosted.) I'll post that battle later, once I get over it, I guess... Was a pretty close battle obviously so should receive more than a picture and a battle video code, but now I'm not up to it at all and I'm not sure when I will be. Losing a streak of 'technically' 2000+ (sorry that I'm bitching once again about this) with precisely this team in only the second close call on the entire run(s) sucks pretty bad if it's not actually 2000+ and only puts you on the sixth place rather than the top 3 position that I really feel this team deserves – I still think I've let this team down and that I'm not at the proper playing level to bring this team where it belongs. I might do the first couple of hundreds of a new streak on the train and work on a new one during the summer, but on the other hand maybe this is the right moment to finally take a break for real >__> I'm probably gonna have to show some GG Unit / Eppie-level dedication if I actually want to bring this team to 2000 hehe; and I'm not gonna maintain multiple 1000+ streak at the same time again, to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

(legit congrats though, even though I can imagine my disappointment with myself right now makes it come off a bit insincere; I'm really impressed how you managed to teambuild around all of Endeavor Aron's weaknesses... makes me curious what GG Unit would come up with in triples if he cared about that mode haha)

(NoCheese, just to be on the safe side this isn't a leaderboard-linkable streak post for triples and I'll probably end up editing the non-doubles bit out altogether eventually because it's really not supposed to go here I guess; it's just that I didn't want to post that loss yet but am not gonna go around pretending I'm still on my way to 2000+. I'll post more about that one, I promise)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(sorry about the negative post guys...)
First of all, congratulations for breaking 1,000 in Super Doubles! It's good to see two Dutch people up there on the records list :).
It's very unfortunate that you lost so soon after posting the 1,000 record :(.
On the other hand, like VaporeonIce pointed out, you deserve credit for being the second person to have a 1,000+ streak in two different modes.
And most notably, you broke 1,000 in Doubles !

NoCheese, if you're still slim on character space in the OP you can remove my 1,296 streak and the Triples streak!

Thank you for reading :).

Last edited:
It appears to me that they've fixed Mara's illegal dual items bug. I've fought Mara a lot, taking note of her teams, and they've always included Reuniclus and Cofagrigus without doubling up on any Iron Balls or berries. Anyone that read that discussion a while back might remember that the two aforementioned pokes must both be present to have six unique items. To my knowledge, nothing has changed about her pool.

This could all just be coincidental, though, so I'm wondering if anybody has something different to report.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I still love that your triples streak was built around one of the less popular Megas, and you deserve a lot of credit for molding your own team instead of purely using someone else's builds.
I mean, I was looking for a Volt Switch user with Lightningrod to support Greninja / Talonflame, and the next best option is Raichu, which is... yeah. And otherwise, Manectric also has that Fire coverage that allows me to run Taunt on Talonflame without (basically) any downsides whatsoever, has that Speed tier that is conveniently right above Aerodactyl and Crobat, and has that post-Mega ability that cushions attacks for those admittedly frail partners... if Manectric weren't ten years older, I'd say it was blatantly designed to support Greninja / Talonflame haha, it synergises that well with them..

turskain, nice!! I was wondering if it maybe had anything to do with a center Pokemon targeting the opposite side of the field (in this case Greninja), but then I realised that was already likely debunked by the other Lightningrod failure that I vaguely recall (which involved Jolteon using an Electric attack turn two after Talonflame had been shifted into the center turn one; I assume it had Weezing or Umbreon in the left position and I wanted to Taunt them, didn't save the battle because it didn't screw me over and I wasn't even sure if I had been paying attention well enough lol because 'it shouldn't do that') - this sounds comprehensive enough. Also explains why I've only noticed it twice in 2500+ battles since I obviously wouldn't end up with an unevolved Manectric in the right-side position too often.

It appears to me that they've fixed Mara's illegal dual items bug. I've fought Mara a lot, taking note of her teams, and they've always included Reuniclus and Cofagrigus without doubling up on any Iron Balls or berries. Anyone that read that discussion a while back might remember that the two aforementioned pokes must both be present to have six unique items. To my knowledge, nothing has changed about her pool.

This could all just be coincidental, though, so I'm wondering if anybody has something different to report.
lolnope
#382: 8DMW-WWWW-WWXS-J42W (removed the Raichu battle fwiw, and damn I've actually uploaded a random vid where I played well for a change)
I saved all my battles against Mara during the first 1000 battles of my triples streak because I wanted to cherish every single little victory over that b****, and this vid has dual Iron Ball holders (Dusknoir2 and Seismitoad2, once again). Admittedly, I ran into her eight times during those 1000 battles and this is the only video that doesn't feature both Cofag and Reuni - idk how common dual Iron Balls were in X, but if this is any indication, it's become pretty rare. (I did run into her about three or four times between battles 1001 and 1420, but I had stopped saving them at that point and didn't really pay attention if both Reuni and Cofag featured on them, so sorry about that).

Anyway... as promised, here's what happens if Zapdos2 gets out of control and makes you ignore Thundurus2.

#1421: Z2KG-WWWW-WWXS-XNMF
Battle 1421 recap: Vs. Veteran Jake

turn 1
-Talonflame used Brave Bird on Latias – 25%
-Greninja used Mat Block
-Latias used Thunder – Manectric took the attack! The attack was blocked by the kicked-up mat!
-Manectric used Thunderbolt on Zapdos – 70%
-Entei used Stone Edge – The attack was blocked by the kicked-up mat!
-Zapdos used Double Team

I use my standard plays against these foes: I have Talonflame use Brave Bird on Latias in order to bring it in a whole lot of KO ranges, I keep Manectric unevolved to block any possible Electric-type moves from Zapdos or Latias2 on turn 2 and because the extra Speed isn't needed against this lineup yet, and I target Zapdos with Manectric, in order to secure the Ice Beam KO on Zapdos1 and at least keep the pressure on Zapdos2. Lead Zapdos is a standard Taunt whenever I can afford it, which obviously isn't the case now though since it's in the left position. Nothing going really wrong here, although I would have liked Zapdos2 to use a different move, lol.

turn 2

-Manectric has Mega Evolved into Mega Manectric!
-Talonflame used Protect
-Greninja used Ice Beam op Zapdos – miss
-Latias used Psychic on Greninja – 40%
-Manectric used Thunderbolt on Zapdos – miss
-Entei used Stone Edge on Talonflame – Talonflame protected itself
-Zapdos used Roost – 100%

This is where things get ugly. Zapdos revealed itself to be Zapdos2, which Greninja's Ice Beam can't OHKO from this point, so I double target it with Greninja and Mega Manectric – I plan to 2HKO Entei1 the next turn with Brave Bird + whatever, so I use Protect on Talonflame since he's sure to draw in Stone Edge. In hindsight, this was... let's call it 'optimistic' since it involved both my attacks hitting Zapdos, and Zapdos brutally punishes it by dodging both attacks and Roosting back to full – additionally, there was no reason not to switch out Talonflame for Azumarill, especially since I had skillfully blocked Latias's Thunder for this turn at least by having Lightningrod trigger through Mat Block. Protecting was the standard play since I'm naturally averse to switching in triples – more than I should be, obviously.

turn 3

-Talonflame, come back! Go! Azumarill!
-Greninja used Ice Beam on Latias – KO
-Entei used Flame Charge on Manectric
-Zapdos used Heat Wave – Greninja KO, Manectric 50%
-Go! Blaziken!
-Jake sends out Thundurus

So now I do switch out Talonflame, as Zapdos dodges a third attack and Greninja kills the threatening Latias. Another misplay here by finishing off Latias with Ice Beam rather than Dark Pulse, which allows Zapdos's Heat Wave to KO Greninja and remove my only super effective move against it. I send out one of my other two Pokemon capable of 2HKOing it in Blaziken; Jake counters with Thundurus.

turn 4

-Manectric used Protect
-Blaziken used Protect
-Azumarill used Aqua Jet on Entei – 50%
-Thundurus used Focus Blast – Manectric protected itself
-Entei used Overheat on Manectric – Manectric protected itself
-Zapdos used Double Team
I legit don't recall my thought process here, whether it was a gut instinct that Thundurus2 would prefer to target Manectric over Azumarill, which is supported by past experiences fwiw (lol it would be nice if this thing usually were to lock itself into TBolt when leading, but it nearly always seems to prefer Focus Blasting Manectric over killing Talonflame >_<) or if I just wanted to get rid of the Speed-boosted Entei as soon as possible, but it actually doesn't backfire here. Zapdos getting off a second Double Team is extremely disturbing though...

turn 5

-Azumarill used Aqua Jet on Entei – KO
-Blaziken used Flare Blitz on Zapdos – miss
-Thundurus used Focus Blast on Manectric – KO
-Zapdos used Heat Wave – Blaziken 80%
-Go! Hydreigon!
-Jake sends out Terrakion
This turn went had standard plays with the removal of Entei and Manectric's death. Zapdos's second double dodge foreshadows what is to happen, though. With Manectric's death I pull out my final powerhouse in Hydreigon – Jake counters with Terrakion.

turn 6

-Hydreigon used Protect
-Azumarill used Aqua Jet on Terrakion – 40%
-Terrakion used Sacred Sword – Hydreigon protected itself
-Blaziken used Flare Blitz on Zapdos – miss
-Thundurus used Focus Blast on Blaziken – KO
-Zapdos used Charge Beam – Hydreigon protected itself
-Go! Talonflame!
After this turn I essentially feel it's over. I Protect on Hydreigon, which I expect to draw in both Terrakion's attack and Thundurus's Focus Blast – but Thundurus prefers the less attractive Blaziken, removing my second to last Pokemon capable of 2HKOing Zapdos without too much trouble 'under normal circumstances' and being set up for a KO on Hydreigon next turn. Additionally, 2HKOing Terrakion with Aqua Jet rather than OHKOing it with Waterfall is a repulsive, inexcusable brain failure. Aqua Jet is a freaking amazing move, but I should know when to use it...

turn 7

-Hydreigon used Protect – But it failed!
-Talonflame used Tailwind
-Azumarill used Aqua Jet on Terrakion – KO
-Thundurus used Focus Blast on Hydreigon – KO
-Zapdos used Charge Beam on Talonflame – 30%, Zapdos's Special Attack rose!
-Jake sends out Articuno
I'm forced to double Protect on Hydreigon and use Tailwind on Talonflame to retain a snowball's chance in hell of removing Thundurus before it kills Hydreigon – no luck. At this point, it's Talonflame + Azumarill versus a Thundurus with one Focus Blast PP remaining, Articuno – which could definitely be worse – and Zapdos2. Talonflame and Azumarill, with their great coverage, dual priority, bulk, and defensive and offensive typings, make for an extremely potent combo definitely capable of beating most combinations of three foes – but those groups don't feature a boosted Zapdos2, lol. In fact, if that Zapdos had been something like, say, Suicune, Azumarill probably would have been capable of defeating all of them by itself – I recall a battle in the 40s (lol) of my 606 streak on X that initially went to hell because of sheer cockiness on my part where Azumarill ended up beating the last three foes alone – but those were Gothitelle4/Bronzong4/something. Definitely no Zapdos2.

turn 8

(center is empty)

-Talonflame used Protect
-Thundurus used Focus Blast – Talonflame protected itself!
-Azu used Waterfall on Thundurus, 20%
-Zapdos used Charge Beam – Talonflame protected itself!
-Articuno flew up high!
The obvious play is to use Protect on Talonflame to make Thundurus waste its final PP and weaken it within Struggle's KO range, which obviously is exactly what I do.

turn 9

(center is empty)

-Talonflame used Protect – But it failed!
-Thundurus used Struggle on Talonflame – 5%, Thundurus KO
-Azumarill used Waterfall on Articuno – miss
-Zapdos used Charge Beam on Articuno – miss
-Articuno used Fly on Talonflame – KO
The double Protect on Talonflame was desperate and, in hindsight, silly – it was an attempt to keep Zapdos/Thundurus busy for one more turn, where I should have gone for the chip damage on Zapdos (not that it would have been likely to hit or not be Roosted away, but still). Also should have Protected on Azu because it probably wasn't gonna hit anything anyway. The rest of the turn plays out as expected; Thundurus Struggles to death, Talonflame falls as well, and Azu's attack fails by virtue of the lack of a target. Now it's Zapdos in the left position to do whatever, while Articuno calls dibs on finishing off the battle. No problems here yet – even if Azu had been only half as ridiculous as it is, Articuno would stand no chance at all. Zapdos will be a different matter, though.

turn 10
(center is empty)

(left position is empty); (center is empty)

-Azumarill used Waterfall on Articuno – ~50%
-Zapdos used Roost – But it failed!
-Articuno used Hail
-Your team's Tailwind petered out!
... eh? Since Articuno can't do jack shit to Azu, it apparently prefers to hit at least one perfectly accurate Blizzard and sets up hail... Azu would have taken the chip damage anyway in the form of a second Blizzard, but Zapdos on the other hand wouldn't. This might still get interesting, after all Azu is ridiculous...

turn 11
(center is empty)

(left position is empty); (center is empty)

-Zapdos used Double Team
-Articuno used Blizzard on Azumarill – 70% (after hail damage)
-Azumarill used Play Rough on Articuno – KO
-Automatic center!

turn 12

-Zapdos used Charge Beam on Azumarill – 10% (after hail damage)
-Azumarill used Play Rough on Zapdos – 25% (after hail damage)
Azumarill is downright brutal one-on-one – if this had been a fresh Magnet Raikou versus a fresh Azumarill, the only way for me to lose would have been a Play Rough miss or a Thunderbolt crit/instant full para. Even in case of an offensive typing disadvantage, Waterfall / Play Rough + Aqua Jet KOes an awful amount of offensive threats, which is also the way I'm gonna take on this Zapdos2 – under normal circumstances this isn't enough because of its bulk investment, but the hail chip damage just might... After running the calcs, it's clear that Waterfall isn't gonna be enough to pull out this snowball's chance in hell, so I'm forced to click Play Rough – and holy shit, it actually hit. Zapdos looks to be in KO range of a high roll Aqua Jet, so, decisions, decisions... Hail is still up so one additional round of chip damage will secure the victory unless lol Evasion, and I can easily buy that round with Protect, but on the other hand Zapdos can and probably will use that turn to use Roost, which spells the end. I decide to keep as much as possible in my own control and click Aqua Jet...

turn 13

-Azumarill used Aqua Jet on Zapdos – Zapdos lives with like 5 HP
-Zapdos used Charge Beam on Azumarill – KO
...and I guessed wrong. Well Azu, you're still ridiculous, I still love you. Scizor wouldn't have gotten this close.

I probably did a whole host of things wrong during this battle – the obvious ones have already been pointed out, and I also paid for prioritising Zapdos over Thundurus, if I had just Flare Blitzed it that turn it killed Blaziken... That probably wouldn't have mattered as much if my attacks had hit, but... yeah. It probably would have been better to outnumber and gang up on Zapdos eventually, but I generally prefer to kill that thing as fast as possible because it gets kinda hard to ignore once it starts firing off boosted Heat Waves with boosted evasion... urrrgh. Zapdos2 is definitely one of the threats this team is a bit soft to, but I have three mons capable of reliably 2HKOing it (or four? Azu counts too obviously) if it doesn't do anything too funny as well as a Taunt user and a Lightningrod user, so it 'can' definitely be nipped in the bud, and that has always happened until now... I don't have a direct hard counter to it and I can't come any closer than this because every single move on the team is essential and the clockwork-esque synergy is as complete as possible afaik – with Greninja / Manectric / Talonflame's perfect synergy and ability to put all the puppets into places, Blaziken and Hydreigon being the requisite powerhouses, Blaziken / Hydreigon's near-perfect defensive synergy, Speed Boost allowing me to always retain some Speed advantage even if I were to lose Tailwind, and Azumarill being the requisite glue with its specific defensive and offensive typing and priority – and being a much better fit than say Scizor for this team, as Scizor needs a boosting item to function properly and lacks Azu's all-round defensive / pivoting capabilities. Scizor worked on Greninziken because it was assisted defensively by Thundurus-T, whereas Azu alone is the main defensive piece of this team – it still has less combined weight to carry than Scizor because the rest of the team just takes a bunch of pressure off it, but on the other hand it also has more unspecified weight to carry and must be able to somewhat take on (almost) everything, which Scizor can't do, if I'm still making sense at this point because I've sorta lost my train of thought. This probably sounds lazy, but I don't think it can reasonably be expected to pack a hard counter to every single top threat on a team... I mean, if triples LukeNinja faces a lead Regice4 something is gonna get paralyzed, no two ways about it, and I'm sure we all know turskain didn't exactly do a bad job building that team, lol. (not saying my team is anywhere near his though). Sometimes you have to make do with multiple hard checks, and besides, I'm not aware of any viable hard counters to this thing other than SubToxic Gliscor –not even viable in triples lol- and Clear Smog Gastrodon (which don't want to switch into Heat Wave and can't actually beat it by themselves, respectively... and as we all know it even overcame Garchomp eventually).. Please excuse my laziness, but I don't think this team can get any better (maybe except turskain's suggestion of Muscle Band > Expert Belt? Gotta go calc the entire maison for that one of these days) at least without the helmsman actually having it kill the things they're supposed to >_<

It's a bit hard to believe that this is my first loss with this team since October (the 299 loss against Mara, back when I was, well, a lot worse than now) and my first loss altogether with this iteration. At 2026-1, with only one narrow escape in all those 2027 battles (alright maybe two if we also include Azu's three-on-one heroics I referenced earlier, and I could be forgetting something from the 606 streak because it started that long ago, but my point stands; this was the first directly loseable battle since the Donphan one I posted with the 1001 streak; that was not the only one that ended one-on-one, but I don't think I'm in direct danger of losing with a full HP Hydreigon against an Archeops in Defeatist range :) ) and coming this fucking close in a choke-seeming battle like this, I still think 2000 is a realistic goal with this team (that they would deserve)... but for now I'm not gonna be able to stand any triples for quite a while. I don't 'have to' reach that goal before summer (after which I'm going to have a lot less time) after all I guess, and nobody says I have to give any shits about what Pokemon Z is gonna throw at us haha. But... yeah, it's nice to see things you love perform well, but it sucks pretty bad when you let them down. I was 'annoyed' by my losses in singles and doubles (of which especially singles frankly never should have happened, lol why did I give any shits about that 1% chance of Volc using QD against Scizor while I gladly switch Gliscor into any lead Politoed ever, which isn't 100% guaranteed to use Focus Blast on Greninja either, in triples at least) but that was mostly mitigated by disbelief of how I managed to hit numbers like that. This on the other hand hurt, and while I'm mostly over it now, it wouldn't be fun at all indeed if I were to try again right away (not to mention there are many other reasons to cool down for a while). And even if all those other reasons were to elude me, it really impedes your performance if you're not having fun, and 'fun' is definitely the reason I was able to hit all those numbers I hit in the past two months. Great Bay temple > Battle Maison for now (and dw VaporeonIce, the weather is fine for some nice semi-long cycling trips as well n_n)

Attachments

Last edited:
lolnope
#382: 8DMW-WWWW-WWXS-J42W (removed the Raichu battle fwiw, and damn I've actually uploaded a random vid where I played well for a change)
I saved all my battles against Mara during the first 1000 battles of my triples streak because I wanted to cherish every single little victory over that b****, and this vid has dual Iron Ball holders (Dusknoir2 and Seismitoad2, once again). Admittedly, I ran into her eight times during those 1000 battles and this is the only video that doesn't feature both Cofag and Reuni - idk how common dual Iron Balls were in X, but if this is any indication, it's become pretty rare. (I did run into her about three or four times between battles 1001 and 1420, but I had stopped saving them at that point and didn't really pay attention if both Reuni and Cofag featured on them, so sorry about that).
lol, so much for that. I thought it was just too common to be a coincidence. I think the problem was in fact worse in XY, since facing dual Iron Ball holders on her team was fairly common for me.

Nice of you to prove that the bug still exists, if not amusingly so.

hello yes I would like to share this video of a horrible beginning followed by a ridiculously unlikely and unexpected victory against the Triples Battle Chatelaine making my 5th and final trophy in Omega Ruby. in other words this battle was THE make it or break it one for me. (I'm still gonna chase down the Starf Berry but my perfectionist pressure is off now that I have all the trophies.)

EZRW-WWWW-WWXT-JGZR

(EDIT: Looking back, I misplayed the hell out of that turn where Moltres missed Overheat on Aegislash. I mistakenly believed that Articuno could OHKO Hydreigon with Frost Breath, and thought it was important to protect Hydreigon with Aegislash's Iron Head. In all my calculating going into that turn, I managed to forget that Aegislash wasn't in Shield Form - I was just too worried about Hydreigon getting OHKO'd to care, although it wouldn't have mattered since Articuno outspeeds Aegislash anyway. I was just confused at the best course of action. Looking back over it, there are a few paths I could have taken toward a victory if that had happened, but they would have required some luck on my part, whereas once Overheat missed my victory was pretty much assured. So, really, I misplayed significantly and yet the hax was 100% in my favor. I am reminded of Jumpman16 's experience with the Factory in Platinum, where a misclick that "should" have ended the battle was mitigated by Stone Edge missing at a crucial moment. If anyone would like to share a way they think I could have secured the victory if Aegislash died, BE MY GUEST, I'm probably forgetting something!)

(this team is blatantly copied from ~Mercury~ 's triples team, he knows it and in fact gave me a shitton of advice on using it that saved my bacon a significant amount since I had no experience with Triples going into this. I am terminally unimaginative and I just wanted trophies, so I took some tried-and-true teams to get to the 50 mark. Having read this whole thread, I know that's not exactly the kind of thing that the Maison veterans like seeing in posts, but neither am I claiming to be a ~battle genius~. In fact I wasn't even going to post any more than the trophies picture and the proper credits for the teams I used, except then this battle happened and I felt I should share it with the world.)

Now that I have the trophies, I will be posting the aforementioned team credits and a few notes, as well as a long ramble about my experiences with Battle facilities and how significant this damn achievement is to me. But it's 3:30 AM and I should have been asleep two hours ago, so I'll find some time to get that written tomorrow afternoon instead. (Can you tell I'm tired by the rambling nature of this post anyway??)

EDIT: Okay, here are the more detailed descriptions of the teams I used:

This one was VaporeonIce 's team. Not the Whimsicott/Durant/Drapion one - the Togekiss/MegaKhan/Aegislash one with the much shorter streak. To wit:

Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Serene Grace
Bold
252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Spe
Yawn
Safeguard
Dazzling Gleam
Air Slash

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Scrappy -> Parental Bond
Adamant
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Power-Up Punch
Return
Sucker Punch
Earthquake

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Stance Change
Brave (has a very high Speed IV, though; Aegislash wants to outslow most things but it never seemed to affect my battles that it didn't)
252 Atk/252 HP/4 Def
King's Shield
Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword

Why did I decide to use one of the teams with a lesser streak, when there were so many higher on the leaderboards to choose from? The answer is that I didn't want to spend a lot of time learning a new strategy (Also I wanted to use MegaKhan but shhh) My experience with Battle facilities before the Maison was limited to the Platinum Frontier facilities, where I used the Latias/Registeel/Garchomp team that Peterko made famous, and Latias served as a crippler for Registeel/Garchomp to safely get in and sweep. This, of course, being before Whimsicott and Durant and Shell Smash Cloyster and all those Pokémon, so trying to learn the crippling styles of Whimsicott and Durant and setup styles/preferred attacks of Cloyster and Acupressure Drapion wasn't something I really wanted to do. Yawn + Safeguard -> MegaKhan (or Aegislash) was very easy for me to understand, and MegaKhan wrecks so much shit that I didn't really need to think about what I was doing beyond "oh maybe I should check if that's faster and Sucker Punch". Aegislash, too, is pretty easy to use, so overall this team was pretty straightforward and using MegaKhan made me cackle with glee every time something with Sturdy or Focus Sash got destroyed to Parental Bond attacks. It was payback for the shit that the Platinum Frontier put me through - more on that later.

Singles was the first mode I attempted and first trophy I won, owing to me not having any reasonable experience with any other mode. Despite having experience with Singles, it still took me until my 8th or 9th try to get to and beat the Chatelaine, the most of any mode other than Multi. I thought Singles would be the easiest of the modes since I had experience, but it most definitely was not! It's really unforgiving to misplays, where the other modes (especially Triples) have some wiggle room because of the wonky AI. But I'm glad I was able to do it and able to take MegaKhan so far.

I didn't really have any interesting in running the Aron strategy, even though it would have taken less work to prepare that team! Several top non-Aron (and non-Trick Room in general) streaks ran Greninja, and I thought it would be interesting to use one once I remembered what Mat Block did. But which team to use? Looking through, I was immediately struck by turskain 's Greninja/Mega Lucario team. I've always been a fan of Lucario, and using its mega form when playing X the first time was a blast. When I saw that the strategy was to spam Nasty Plot-boosted Adapatibility Aura Spheres, I was set.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Steadfast -> Adaptability
Timid
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Nasty Plot
Aura Sphere
Flash Cannon
Protect

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Protean
Timid
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Mat Block
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Grass Knot

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Rough Skin
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Swords Dance
Protect

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Gale Wings
Adamant
252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpDef
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Tailwind
Protect

It should be noted that none of the Pokémon I used for any mode, except the Rotations Dragonite, were 5IV. I gave them 3 IVs in whichever stats were being EV'd, and then a couple with odd EV spreads got 4 IVs. This Talonflame has a Speed IV of, like, 4. When firing off priority Brave Birds it's not an issue, but without investment it actually gets outsped by an annoying amount of stuff when it wants to Flare Blitz something. So I tried to avoid that... by instead using Mat Block to ensure Mega Lucario gets up a Nasty Plot and wrecks face with Aura Sphere. The damage output is nothing short of sexy. Greninja surprised me, too, and it was only later when I found someone comparing Greninja to Starmie (which I used a lot in Platinum) that I really understood how it managed to be so fantastic. Less bulk, sure, but less need for bulk due to a higher speed, Focus Sash, and being partnered up with a Lucario that can destroy anything and therefore protect Greninja. Greninja survived more attacks than I would have expected with more than the Focus Sash 1 HP, though, which was of course fortunate! During battle, I didn't choose Greninja's attacks based on the Protean-based defensive benefits; I just went for straight up "let's destroy as much stuff as we can and hope it works". Considering I got to the Chatelaine on my second try, I'd say that that strategy ended up working out for me.

There were two teams listed on turskain's record in the OP: one using Gastrodon, and one using Garchomp. I chose the Garchomp team, despite the higher record with Gastrodon, because I'd had more experience with Garchomp (I referenced earlier that I used Latias/Registeel/Garchomp for the Platinum Frontier) and felt it would be an easier time than trying to get my head around the much slower and less powerful Gastrodon. Seeing as how I made it to the Chatelaine on my second attempt, I didn't miss Gastrodon that much... until a later run.

Going into Rotations and having no experience with it, I wanted something that was pretty straightforward and didn't require massive amounts of prediction. The top streak, incidentally also held by turskain, used a team that did just that.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Prankster
Bold
228 HP/252 Def/28 SpDef (notice the lack of SpAtk investment - and it turns out my Klefki had a SpAtk IV of 10...)
Calm Mind
Substitute
Protect
Dazzling Gleam

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Levitate
Timid
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Destiny Bond
Protect

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Multiscale
Adamant
252 Atk/188 Spe/52 HP/12 Def/4 SpDef (this is the 5IV Dragonite I mentioned earlier, so its stats ended up the same as turskain's)
Outrage
Substitute
Roost
Dragon Dance

Scrappy
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Return
Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Fake Out

I bred a second Kangaskhan for Rotations, but didn't bother breeding for Double-Edge as turskain had, opting to just continue using Return. It didn't end up mattering in the slightest, because Rotations turned out to be the only mode where I made it to the Chatelaine on my very first try! Despite having a Klefki with no SpAtk investment and an IV of 10, its sheer bulk and the power provided by Calm Mind proved to be enough to just destroy opposing teams. It really is the monster that turskain says it is, taking advantage of the AI who doesn't know what to do with one Ground-weak and two Ground immunities and a Fire-weak and a Fire resistance, among other resistance/weakness interplay. It rarely ever OHKO'd anything even with +6 Dazzling Gleam, but it survived the opposition's attacks so it didn't matter either way. This thing is a complete freak of nature and absolutely genius, and the backups are no slouches either - though I rarely got to see them in battle!

There are two streaks with this same team. This is the one from the lesser streak; the higher streak uses Toxic over Protect on Gengar and a differently-EV'd Dragonite. It was posted after I'd already won the Rotations trophy with the first team turskain used.

Riding high off my Chatelaine-on-second-try-in-Doubles and Chatelaine-on-first-try-in-Rotations streaks, I was hoping for Multi to be as easy - but it turned out to be the hardest of the modes... not least because I was working with Steven for many attempts.

I started off using Whisper0101 's team - Greninja and Garchomp (which were unchanged from their stats in my earlier Doubles streak, except for Rock Slide -> Protect on Garchomp) to partner with Steven's Megagross and Aerodactyl. I lost several streaks early on - whether it was due to hax, misplays, or being paired up with 3-90%-accuracy-moves Metagross and Fangs/Rock Slide Aerodactyl I couldn't tell you. But after several lost streaks, I noticed something even more frustrating than the losses: if you took a break, Steven would randomly choose which of his Pokémon led when you resumed the streak. In order to ensure that Megagross would be first, I had to get him to use it... and then complete all 50 battles in one sitting, which took, like, 2-3 hours, and I just couldn't play that long without ending up on tilt - especially since I'm a college student and so the only time I can reliably play for multiple hours is in the night (which is incidentally why I posted the triumphant picture and battle video of beating Triples at 3:30 AM my time and why I've been hemorrhaging sleep this week - cannot wait to get a good night's sleep tonight!). So instead, I contacted a friend and asked if I could borrow her 3DS and just do "let's connect over wireless and then I can control both DSes". My plan was to use the already-proven Doubles team on two different DSes, with Greninja/Garchomp on one DS (as Greninja attracts Electric attacks and Garchomp is its most common switch) and Lucario/Talonflame (Talonflame is immune to Earthquake and resists Fire and Fighting) on the other. I also replaced Talonflame's Sharp Beak with a Life Orb, since now I could "double up" on items owing to the separate DS's.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get my friend's DS, since on the day I was going to meet up with her, she was sick. But when she texted me this, I had another friend and her boyfriend in the car with me, and the boyfriend agreed when I asked him if I could use his DS. So we picked it up from his house, and he and my friend played Super Smash on my TV while I just ran through Multi with that team...

... and promptly lost battle 49 to a turn 1 mispredict and therefore misplay that led to me losing Lucario before it could even attack - against a team of Legendaries that included scarf Terrakion. I ended up chucking my phone at the wall (breaking the case in the process) in a bout of trigger-temper anger that I wasn't about to take out on my brand-new New 3DS XL or the boyfriend's 3DS he so generously lent me. He agreed to let me borrow his DS for as long as I needed. I did one more (failed) streak with the Doubles team before deciding that maybe I should switch Garchomp for Gastrodon (which I alluded to at the end of the Doubles textwall):

Gastrodon @ Assault Vest
Storm Drain
Modest
180 HP/92 Def/220 SpAtk/12 SpDef
Earth Power
Scald
Ice Beam
Sludge Bomb

One of the few Pokémon I actually went for 4IV on, considering the necessity of it being defensively solid and still having offensive presence. Battles were still difficult when it was in (since Greninja/Lucario wrecked face often enough that if Gastrodon/Garchomp was out I was a little worried), but its defensive power surprised me and I ended up beating Multis with this in the place of Garchomp. (I remember one battle - on my successful streak, I think - where I ended up 1v1 against Tentacruel with a mystery mon in back, but Tentacruel stupidly used Surf, allowing me to score the KO with Earth Power, and after a shitton of painstakingly detailed calculations before ever selecting a move, killed the last poke Drapion with +1 Earth Power as well). Between all the teams, it took me between 15 and 20 attempts to get through Multi, and I'm never looking back.

As alluded to earlier in my post, I used ~Mercury~ 's 2000-win Triples streak for it.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Intimidate
Adamant
100 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/4 SpDef/148 Spe
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Return
Protect

Manectric @ Manectite
Lightningrod -> Intimidate
Timid
252 SpAtk/236 Spe/20 HP
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Hidden Power Ice (the only time I have ever and will ever breed for Hidden Power!)
Protect

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Gale Wings
Adamant
252 HP/252 Adamant/4 SpDef
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Tailwind
Protect

Swampert @ Assault Vest
Torrent
Adamant
124 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/44 SpDef/84 Spe
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Rock Slide

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Stance Change
Brave
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpDef
King's Shield
Iron Head
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Levitate
Modest
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Protect
Flamethrower

Ice Punch replaced Avalanche on Swampert because breeding and because ~Mercury~ indicated that either could be used, even if Avalanche was preferred.

There is not much I can say about this team that hasn't already been said by ~Mercury~ (who, as I said earlier, sent me an absolute shitton of information regarding this team that I would not have survived without). Gyarados likes to get boosts and sweep, while Intimidate protects against Rock-type moves (and Manectric + Talonflame can often KO potential Rock users) and unevolved Manectric's Lightningrod protects against Electric moves, while Talonflame just kills shit with priority Brave Birds and then sometimes dies. The back-ups don't really have specific roles, they just exist to kill other stuff that the lead three couldn't (and if you watch the battle video I posted above you'll see how excellent it was that they are so good!) as far as I'm concerned. Triples is simultaneously the hardest and easiest facility for me; easiest in that it doesn't punish misplays/mispredicts quite as badly as other modes (especially Singles), and hardest in that there are so many options for what to do and it was difficult for me to predict what the AI would do when it wasn't 100% obvious (like an electric Pokémon on Gyarados' side of the field). The successful beating of the Chatelaine occurred on my second triples attempt, and the first time I lost on battle 41 (I'm pretty sure it was misplays on my part, but I didn't save the video so I can't check). I have to get 200 wins in one mode in order to satisfy my perfectionist bone, and I think I'm going to attempt to do that in Triples (at least to start with) because it seems like the best team I'm using other than Rotations (which I don't feel like using for 200 wins because of how long it takes to set up Klefki and how few wins turskain got with it relative to the streaks of the other teams I've used). I enjoy Triples more than any other mode (though Doubles is close because of the amazingness of Mega Lucario) so it shouldn't be awful... except I won't be doing it until this summer because it's the end of the semester and finals cram time and I need a damn Pokémon break.

There will be a ramble of my Battle facilities history here but I've spent more time than I should have writing these team descriptions so this will happen tomorrow or maybe later

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Codraroll , you closed the Maison hax thread before any of us got the chance to publicly laugh at how the reported loss couldn't possibly have happened due to Sableye not existing in the Maison, as well as the non-existent Quick Claw Walrein! Truly, this was a missed opportunity on our part.
I opened the thread briefly to note the impossibility of such opponents, VaporeonIce, since that point should be emphasized. I don't think we gain too much by further piling on though, so I then relocked it.

Made a new record today: 113! Proof is in the picture i uploaded.
I played with Dragonite, Greninja and mega-kangashkan. The loose was really bad, my team got outplayed by a shiftry after a sword dance. My Greninja used ice beam, to resist the sucker punch and kill it. But it outplayed me by using protect, so that greninja became ice-type and no longer resists the sucker punch. In the next round shiftry killed greninja with the sucker punch. And all that just because I forgot about sucker punch and used dragon claw with Dragonite instead of using extremespeed.

Team:

Kangashkan @kangshkanite
252 Attack, 252 Speed and 4HP
Scrappy/parental Bond
-Fake out
-Sucker punch
-Return
-Power-Up-punch

Greninja Life Orb
252Sp.Attack, 252 Speed and 4Def
Protean
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory

Dragonite WeaKness Policy
252Attack, 252 Speed and 4HP
Multiscale
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-ExtremeSpeed

Attachments

I opened the thread briefly to note the impossibility of such opponents, VaporeonIce, since that point should be emphasized. I don't think we gain too much by further piling on though, so I then relocked it.
The thing I like about your tact in debunking him is that you left room for him to get indignant and defensive as most of them do, not that it matters, since the topic is closed; but, he obviously doesn't know of the actual mechanics behind the Maison, as does anyone that thinks QC Walrein exists.

My least-hostile way of responding to posts/threads like that is a simple "I already know you don't have a replay of that battle, because it never happened." I may or may not elaborate with the proof. Since this has been the only poke-related thread I've visited for a long time, though, I haven't made posts like that for at least a year.

Um... Can you say "hell to the yes"? So much for getting 200 wins over the summer! I ended up just throwing together a team of Dragonite/Kangaskhan/Aegislash for Singles and continued on from the 50 streak I already had. I lost somewhere in the 60s or 70s to misplay against a Gale Wings Talonflame4 (unboosted Dragonite can barely KO Talonflame4 and survive a Brave Bird even if Multiscale is broken, which I didn't check on; then I ended up misplaying with Aegislash) but ended up just running the streak back up because my team was quick and steamrolled everything. I say "my team" but, like previous users of this combo have said, it really is just the three most powerful Singles mons thrown together, so I don't deserve any credit for coming up with this - even less than aping the previous teams I used, I mean.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Multiscale
252 Atk/188 Spe/52 HP/12 Def/4 SpDef (literally just the spread of my earlier Rotations Dragonite, which was in turn from turskain's Rotations team)
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Outrage

I got the idea to use Fire Punch from Artic's team. I've seen people use Extreme Speed over Fire Punch; I never missed priority on this too much because it leads the battle so if it faints, it's usually done reasonably against the enemies and Aegislash and Kangaskhan are available with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch to wrap things up. It also allows me the option to not use Outrage to KO some Pokémon (like Abomasnow), and I prefer to KO things with a different move when I can so that I can swap Pokémon or moves if the following Pokémon is Fairy or Steel. (Also I just grabbed these guys and went, no time to breed for Extreme Speed).But Lum Berry means I (usually) don't have to worry about the confusion, so it's not that bad, especially since Aegislash and Kangaskhan are pretty adept at taking down those Fairy/Steel types if Dragonite ends up fainting.

The basic idea here is "get up a boost with Dragon Dance if you can" (i.e. you're not in danger of being OHKO'd or 2HKO'd by a 187+ speed opponent, or the opponent knows Trick Room) "and hit things until they die". It's incredibly simple and works a hell of a lot of the time, and when it doesn't that's where Aegislash and Kangaskhan are available to help out.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Brave
Stance Change
252 Atk/252 HP/4 SpDef
Swords Dance
King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak

+6 Shadow Sneak kills a surprising amount of stuff for its low base power and can be used unboosted to revenge kill or break Sashes/Sturdy. Even more, most Trick Room users are Psychic or Ghost, so Aegislash can come in easily on them (even super-effective Ghost attacks from the Trick Roomers aren't much of a threat most of the time) and kill with Shadow Sneak that doesn't even need to be fully boosted for the KO. This way we get to preserve Dragonite's health, and stalling with King's Shield gives time for the Trick Room turns to run out so even if Aegislash dies for whatever reason, Dragonite or Kangaskhan can set up as usual. I suspect that a big part of the reason I took several tries to reach the 50th battle with my initial team (the Togekiss/MegaKhan/Aegislash team I took from VaporeonIce and wrote about in my last post) was not knowing how to use Aegislash properly - I had a tendency to not 100% boost, not use King's Shield for stalling, and attack with Sacred Sword from Blade form. Now I have a much better idea of how it works, and it has really pulled its weight for me.

Adamant
Scrappy -> Parental Bond
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Power-Up Punch
Earthquake
Return
Sucker Punch

Kangaskhan isn't my main sweeper - in fact it's probably the least used of the whole team - so I suppose Power-Up Punch is not a necessity. But there have been times when the extra Attack boosts saved my hide, and having an (albeit weak) Fighting move can be useful against some opponents. It also allows me to get a free boost in while killing a slower opponent with little HP left, which Fake Out, Crunch, etc. don't let me do. Besides, I have Sucker Punch to function as priority, and here beyond battle 40 there aren't as many Pokémon that rely a lot on not attacking, I feel. Besides that, Kanga is standard. Adamant over Jolly mitigates the need for Double-Edge over Return and just helps add additional power, which is really all that this team does.

I really mean it when I say I am taking a break until the summer rolls around, though. I just had some free time today and wanted to prove to myself that this team was strong enough to potentially score 200 wins. Seeing as how I did get 50 wins past the Chatelaine, though, I'm pretty confident that I can make it to victory with this team - so long as I calc everything necessary and check all the sets. Of course, some luck is required: a Sheer Cold miss from that horrid Walrein4 as I Danced with Dragonite (probably a misplay, I may have been better off attacking it outright so that if Sheer Cold did hit turn 1, I could send in Kanga and finish it with even an unboosted Parental Bond Return) proved to be crucial even though Dragonite still died after the first Outrage. I'm not going to be overly cocky and say "what are the odds of something popping up which really can threaten my entire team" because it's a scientific certainty once I get far enough. I can only hope it doesn't happen to me in the next 100 battles. Though by that time I'll have the whole summer at my disposal, and this team is really incredibly quick. I still don't want to spend too long getting those 200 battles - I'm already sick of the Maison - but it won't be terrible, I don't think, so long as I keep playing logically and, again, luck works on my side.

Now, I'm going to do the "my history with Battle facilities write-up" I promised in the last post.

On August 19, 2009, I decided I was going to complete the Pokédex in Platinum. Not long after, I decided that this was going to go farther than merely completing the Pokédex: I was going to get a black Trainer Card - my sources were conflicting, but it appeared I would either have to beat all five facilities with Gold Prints or get a 100 win streak in the Tower, and I couldn't tell which was correct. Knowing that the latter would be more difficult, I opted to spend some time working for the former.

But... the first facility I attempted was the Tower. I was 14/15 years old at the time and had known about EV training and IV breeding for a while, but I couldn't be bothered to actually do either, and I didn't think it would matter terribly much if my IVs weren't perfect as long as I EV trained and got reasonable natures. So I did! I also didn't put any thought into the actual theorymon nature of the team: I just grabbed some individually good Pokémon (well if you count gen 4 Blaziken and Dragonite as "good") and threw them on a team together. My first team was Band Blaziken/Specs Starmie/Lefties Dragonite and it had trouble even beating Palmer's 2nd battle... on the few times I could get up there. Then one time I lost to Palmer's Cresselia and angrily stormed into the only Pokémon forum I was at the time - The Cave of Dragonflies - asking for assistance, and ended up getting a forum friend to agree to breed me a better team (my Blaziken had a 0 Attack IV, for instance). Then I decided that for that I should probably *make* a better team, and ended up with Expert Belt physical Lucario/Specs Starmie (the Starmie I had been using was Timid with a 31 Spe IV and a 26 SpAtk IV so it stayed)/Band Salamence, which managed to beat Palmer.

I took a break and beat the Arcade and Castle with this same team in the meantime. I used a Banded Garchomp (why) for the Hall and gave up when I couldn't get far, focusing on the Factory and my other games for a while. Then my perfectionist vibe came back and I swapped Salamence for Garchomp... and still my highest streak was only, like, 58. Frustrated, I turned to TCoD once more, and they pointed me in the direction of the original Tower thread. It was through that that I got the idea to Sash my Garchomp and beat the Battle Hall on my first try, but of course the Tower loomed big and imposing... and the thing was, the popular TrickScarf teams, which I wanted to use, seemed to always involve legendaries. I didn't know how to RNG and didn't have any with the requisite stats. After reading and re-reading every streak post, though, I came to the conclusion that my best bet was to get one of these legendaries. So the next step was to settle on a team, and of the two highest streaks - Jumpman's Mesprit/Drapion/Garchomp and Peterko's Latias/Registeel/Garchomp - the prospect of IV breeding and using an Acupressure Drapion was a little daunting to me since it didn't seem particularly easy to use, whereas Curse/Amnesia/Sub/Iron Head Registeel was straight forward.

So I told my then-boyfriend to go RNG me a Latias while I went and learned gen 3 RNGing for the sole purpose of catching a reasonable Registeel, did all the math myself, learned the calibration techniques... and set out to wait 11 minutes for each RNG... and managed to a near-perfectly IV'd one on my 8th try, a feat I'm still astounded about. Looking back at Peterko's streak post, I realized that since I wasn't aiming for 2633 the IV's of Latias didn't matter so long as it had the right Speed - and I had a Timid one I could use in my box. So I IV'd that one to match Peterko's Latias speed, told my boyfriend to give up (he hadn't even started the Latias RNG), and scored 100 battles in the Tower on my first try.

Overall, this took three years.

It is several hundred hours of my life I will never get back. Hours of running up short streaks and being forced to shut them off mid-streak, thinking "what if I had won this one?" Of losing because of the moves I was locked into with Specs Starmie. Of losing to bulky Waters and Electrics (before Garchomp) and Metagross and wondering how anyone could do this without cheating. Of trying, fruitlessly, over and over and over to win with a completely hopeless, sub-par team - and for what? My perfectionist vibe, that's for what. Every video game I own that has a percentage counter has been 100%'d before, often multiple times. I even go above and beyond regularly for the sake of the kind of "101% complete" perfection that some games offer - all coins in Super Mario 64, all Platinum medals on the ability stages in Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe/Kirby Fighters in Triple Deluxe, unlock the staff times on every race in Mario Kart DS, beat Helper to Hero with every helper in Kirby Super Star Ultra. Even when games don't have completion counters - Browser complete in all three Ranger games, all Pokémon owned in Explorers of Sky, and even now I'm working to get all the Pokémon in Mystery Dungeon Blue (which is notoriously ridiculously difficult to "100%"). I am borderline obsessive about the completion status of the games I own with the exception of mainstream Pokémon games due to the modern impossibility of "catching 'em all" without glitches, and I had the unlucky fortune to be struck by the perfectionist curse on Platinum. It should be noted that while I was obsessively fighting the Tower, I was simultaneously checking swarms every day to get the Pokémon I didn't have, borrowing a friend's SoulSilver to net some version exclusives, getting every event Pokémon that happened - for Deoxys it got to the point where I bought three copies of Ranger 3: one for me, one for a friend, and one for a different friend when I lost touch with the first friend. (That second friend, I literally groomed her into helping me out: I made her buy a DS so I could get her Sapphire and make her start playing Pokémon at all, then lent her Ranger 1 so she could get a feel for it, then bought her Ranger 3 so she could beat it and helped me out. And I was a high school student with very little money to my name while doing all this.)

And "100 wins on the Battle Tower" was going to be necessary for me to sleep at night. It took three years for me to finally relax, when I beat the Tower on that fateful October day in 2012. In the meantime I wrote angry message upon angry message to my internet best friend about how horrible the Tower was and how upset I was with it, even going so far as to write a short story where Death comes to get me and I make him stop because I need to beat the Tower first.

So beating it marked a very happy day for me...

But I still hadn't beaten the Factory.

That was my next challenge. Having found the Frontier thread by that point, I read and re-read and re-re-read Glen's guide and Jumpman's epic post and every post by every person who'd ever posted a record in the Factory so that I might stand a chance. But it didn't end up working out. Platinum's battles, even with animations off, were - are - slow as molasses and I couldn't help but feel I did better just winging it than I did checking sets and calcing damage and following Glen's advice, but at the same time what if my intuition was wrong? I was also in my freshman year of college by that point; I just didn't have the desire to bother with it anymore even though the fact that I had a Gold Print in every facility and a Silver Print in the Factory was going to bother me - it still does, slightly, to this day. But I gave up, justifying myself with, "Whatever. Pokédex is complete. Living Pokédex has been attained. Trainer Card is black. Everything else is finished. Besides, White is out by now so my accomplishment is moot anyway. Let's move on to that and give up and never bother with any of this shit again." So I was able to put it out of mind, knowing that, if nothing else, the complete Pokédex (I should add I did it entirely by myself, with literally no GTS trading whatsoever, and only ever trading for version exclusives I couldn't get. So it is a bit more respectable, even in the age of Internet trading, etc.) and the knowledge that I finally did get a 100 streak after all in the Tower would be enough for me. I would never have to worry about that again.

Until ORAS were announced.

Hoenn has been my favorite region, and Emerald my favorite game, for years now. The speculation of Hoenn remakes was strong, beginning almost immediately when HGSS was released. But every day that passed after BW2 were released and Hoenn remakes weren't announced, I grew less hopeful, wondering if maybe FRLG and HGSS would be it after all. By the time ORAS were announced, I had pretty much given up on expecting remakes of my favorite games, thinking I'd just have to be satisfied with my Emerald with its dead internal battery. When I woke up one morning to a text from a friend - a friend who doesn't bullshit - saying HOENN CONFIRMED, I was as surprised as could be - but nope, it was real, ORAS confirmed, my wildest dreams had come true.

I decided the best way to commemorate my favorite games being remade would be to 100% complete them - beat the Battle Maison, get a living Pokédex, collect every item in the game, train to level 100, beat every Contest, get every form of every Pokémon you can have in multiple forms simultaneously (Vivillon being the most prominent - I registered accounts on Serebii and Bulbapedia's forums for the sole purpose of Vivillon collection) and a few other things. (I'm actually the proud holder of the world record on ORAS' Cycling Road due to the perfectionist vibe extending to that too.) I have a document named "POKEDEX PROJECT 2014" that lists all of the remaining objectives I need to accomplish to reach this goal. It was created on May 12 of 2014. In other words, I have been on the road to 100% completing ORAS (OR specifically) since five days after the games' announcement.

As much as I dreaded the idea of doing the potential Battle Factory, my experience with the Battle Frontier had helped, breeding was easier, and I knew how I could easily win this time around - obsessively read Smogon's threads on the matter, of course! It wasn't until later that it was confirmed there was no Battle Frontier, only the Maison, which was easier for me to handle - especially since I'd be completing the Pokédex anyway and thus had all those Pokémon at my disposal for breeding and training. Within about two months of ORAS' official release, I had come across this thread and written down my plans for the teams I was going to use. When I finally got the Pokédex as complete it could be for the time being (excepting daily Mirage Spots and stuff that required me replaying Alpha Sapphire or X), I sat down and sent a good two weeks or something breeding and training all these teams, and ended up starting my streaks in mid-Februrary.

It took me this long to finally finish Triples not because of struggling that much with Singles/Multi, but rather because I had to replay Alpha Sapphire in order to get myself a Swampert for breeding for the Triples team, which ended up not being played regularly because of my replaying (and writing down every piece of text from) Explorers of Sky for a fanfic and buying and playing an Italian copy of Gold as well. But overall the Maison this time around took me, like, two months - the 200 wins will add some time if I keep running into some bad luck, but I have options, and most importantly access to the thread of the best Maison battlers around. If I really struggle with 200 wins and two months starts to turn into significantly more, there would be no reason I couldn't just grab Eppie's Doubles team or one of the Entrainment Durant teams, actually breed for perfect IVs, and run it - teams like that are designed to take advantage of the AI the same way TrickScarf was two generations ago, so getting to 200 with one of those shouldn't actually be difficult so long as I play my cards right - and that's assuming that I struggle significantly with my current Dragonite/Aegislash/MegaKhan team, but considering I literally ran up the 100 battles you see above today despite being at school for a few hours, I don't expect it to take me a shitton of months when I'm playing over the summer! Really, as far as I'm concerned, 200 wins is guaranteed in a way that the Factory streak was not. It's just a matter of actually sitting down and doing it. But when I do, I will be able to sleep so well knowing that my current 100% completion attempt is more complete in less time than Platinum ever was, and then I will truly be able to feel like I've done my favorite games a good service.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I need to teach my gardevoir Hyper voice and I dont have the move tutor available currently(Dont have AS with me) so I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind wasting the next 5 minutes of their lives to trade with me so Hyper voice can be taught. I offer in return any non-shiny non-legendary flawless pokemon excluding a few Hidden ability one

Wheeee, I met my goal! Here it is, an ongoing streak of 1,000 wins in ORAS Super Triples.

I likely would only have around 500 wins by this point were it not for VaporeonIce getting me talking about our teams and experiences with them; being immersed in that plus some encouragement on his part gave me a lot of drive, and for the week or so we were talking about our teams, I was playing 50 battles per day. I would have continued at that rate, but a mix of excellent weather and Smash Bros Mewtwo meant that a lot of my free time not spent sleeping was used to either play disc golf at the park or abuse the "Mewtwo Glitch" to farm custom parts. My free time at work was used to continue trudging through the Maison, though, and today I met my ultimate goal of 1,000 wins. This team was so much fun to use, but I've got a lot of other things I want to do (and play on the 3DS, namely Majora's Mask) and so I won't be continuing, let alone playing OR for a pretty long time.

I've made some substantial edits to the team as things progressed, so I'll do a full writeup!

Slowbro @ Rindo Berry
Female, Oblivious, Sassy (252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SDef)
Speed at lv50: 31
-Trick Room
-Scald
-Flamethrower
-Heal Pulse

Slowbro is outsped by 13 enemy sets, only five of which belonging to Set4 pokes, though some such as Quagsire/Dusknoir2 are still encountered past #41, courtesy of Mara or one of the Workers in Tyranitar's case. The Rindo Berry drastically improved the way Slowbro improved as a setter, because Serperior could no longer OHKO it even with a crit, and while it never had to eat a CB Gogoat Leaf Blade, crit or otherwise, it would have survived that as well. The only other weaknesses I gave a damn about were Escavalier and Armaldo, but Landorus handled them the few occasions they passed on Aron. There were two battles with unexpected targetings plus a crit, by Drapion4 and Tyrantrum 4; I forgot to save a replay of the latter, but neither battle went downhill much, thankfully. All other battles, sheer bulk meant Slowbro's typing was wholly irrelevant and the only hiccups to TR were enemy setters and flinching.

VaporeonIce raised the subject of opting for Own Tempo instead of Oblivious, since Taunt is so rare and confusion so annoying. I still think Oblivious is the better choice, because while both statuses were very rare, both still occurred and, while hitting oneself isn't guaranteed, being Taunted means TR can't be set, period, forcing a switch or stall, which was just not feasible with Aron being such a critical component.

Heal Pulse was used on Aron a small number of times to mitigate Hail or Rough Skin damage (if safe to do so) but Landorus and Clawitzer bathed in the restorative energy quite a bit when called upon. Despite the complete lack of investment, there's actually a fairly long list of things Slowbro can OHKO in and out of sunlight, but the two I'm most thankful for are Rhyperior4 and Golem4. In 1,000 battles, Scald inflicted a shi-ii-iii-ITload of burns, many of which going a long way in securing some 2HKOs.

I normally have some slight OCD with genders when breeding, and wouldn't stick with a female Slowbro given the choice, but the very first Slowpoke I hatched using my Regenerator father not only had Oblivious, mitigating the need for an Ability Capsule, it was also born with 31/xx/31/31/31/0. I wanted to finish the project quickly, so I just had to keep it.

Aron @ Berry Juice
Male, Sturdy, Gentle (0 EVs)
Speed at lv1: lol
-Protect
-Endeavor
-Sunny Day
-Spite

I'm fairly certain people have toyed with the idea of Spite as an alternate move before rejecting it in favor of the traditional Toxic and Swagger. The only enemy I ever really wanted to use it against, at least until making other changes for the better, was Serperior4. Forces it into a struggling state immediately and prevents it from doing dick after its initial turn, and the reliability in its targeting Slowbro meant that the odds skipping 1st round Protect were in my favor. Apart from that, I used Spite on several occasions when it meant its teammates could do their jobs worry-free, while a three-enemy-KO was also impossible for one reason or another.

Post battle 700 or so I began using Sunny Day much more liberally, often letting Aron take a hit because of it, in an effort to prevent myself from being screwed by backup entries as I'd been before. For example, say the frontline is Greninja-Gogoat-Venusaur, used by a Ranger. Aron can assist Slowbro in KOing Greninja and keeping its Berry Juice intact, but the odds of Rangers packing multiple water types are not low at all, and if the backup contains, say, both a Milotic and Whiscash, not only am I not going to clean house this turn, I'll probably lose Camerupt in the process. While previous battles never really mattered, taking bad trades like that, I always considered Aron much more expendable. It improved the team's performance more overall.

As I mentioned the first time the team was posted, Shiny Gentle Aron came about as part of a typical breeding project. I always create batches of 4 egg move 5IV babies with the typical things people consider desireable, and then a handful of 0IV hatchlings with Gentle or Lax natures, to give to people that inevitably respond to giveaways with lv2 Fletchlings and the like, which I consider a tad disrespectful. A giveaway means I cannot fairly exclude people, but you can't give me even one fucking breeding reject? Anyway, one of the unlovable Arons was shiny, so it immediately became somewhat lovable, and then extremely cherished once it found its way onto this team.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Female, Anger Point, Quiet (252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpA)
Speed at lv50: 40
Mega Speed at lv50: 22
-Protect
-Earth Power
-Solarbeam
-Eruption

Not at all surprisingly credited with the majority of killing blows, since this puttering but hotheaded lass frequently destroyed two enemies per turn, albeit not without assistance.

Sometimes I wish Earth Power were a little stronger, as there are some fire-resistant things that fall just short of OHKO status, but I can't complain either, since Sheer Force plus STAB still makes it incredibly damaging. I enjoyed the occasions Starmie and Greninja were within reach, as they're some of the only water types it never fails to OHKO on a neutral hit (others like Clawitzer4 will occasionally survive from full health.)

Before deciding I was going to use Sunny Day much more often, I thought about dropping Solarbeam and going back to Flamethrower. It was rarely used, and with Flamethrower I could target certain grass types (well, more like Exeggutor4) on the first turn to thwart its attempt to cancel my TR, without worrying about Earthquakes used by the opponent, which would consequently reduce Eruption to non-lethal strengths. I passed on that, though, since I recalled battles where Solarbeam made things much less stressful. And with my determination to put sunlight up whenever possible, Solarbeam became a much more valuable move. Rangers were so effing common. I had initially forgotten that Camerupt had access to Solarbeam, remembering once I looked at NoCheese's team for Aron alternatives, so I credit him with that set.

By themselves, water types were not remotely threatening, though I had to be on the lookout for Mara's Slowking1 and any Veterans that might be packing Suicune2, as Sitrus Berries prevent them from being slain by Endeavor + Eruption, so they must be EP'd. Poliwrath4 gets an honorable mention for Water Absorb and a Sitrus Berry, but the AI retardedly liked to use Focus Punch and select Earthquake for its adjacent partner.

Gardevoir @ Iron Ball
Female, Telepathy, Quiet (252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SDef)
Speed at lv50: 38
-Grass Knot
-Moonblast
-Dazzling Gleam
-Psychic

While Helping Hand is a neat move, I used it so much less than initially envisioned (unlike during my randoms streaks, when HH is used religiously) and struggled to think of a replacement until talking to VaporeonIce, and after he casually mentioned Dazzling Gleam a few times (not in context of Gardevoir) I decided that perhaps another spread move would do me a bit of good.

And HOLY SHIT if I didn't use it considerably more than the significantly stronger Moonblast. This attack became my go-to move chiefly because of its ability to safely mop up things my partners, typically Camerupt, couldn't finish. It was not uncommon for Gardevoir to replace Aron or someone else and be facing a trio of battered but angry and kicking enemies, and... my eyes! MY EYES!! A trio of fallen foes, following one of the coolest-looking attacks in the game.

Not that its other three moves weren't highly valuable. Moonblast slaughters Roseli Berry Hydreigon, who Camerupt cannot hope to KO without Aron, not to mention ALL dragons; Grass Knot assists with numerous bulky water types, and Psychic of course for the occasions it came in to assist with Punks or Battle Girls and their Poisons/Fighters.

But if I could appreciate Gardevoir for only one thing, it's her ability to switch in for Aron when my TR is cockblocked and take utterly pitiful damage from STABless Focus Blast, easily the most common attack launched at Aron during those kinds of situations. If not Focus Blast, than Psychic (gee, which teams so often contained enemy setters?) For the water moves and Ice Shard or Aqua Jet, there was...

Clawitzer @ Life Orb
Male, Mega Launcher, Quiet (252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SDef)
Speed at lv50: 57
-Aura Sphere
-Water Pulse
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam

Slowest poke on the team under TR, but still sitting at a great TR speed while being able to use an offensive item. Clawitzer was the most frequent reinforcement when making blind switch-ins (ie being forced to replace a fallen ally) for its excellent coverage and strength. I also quickly reached the point where, if I felt it safe, Clawitzer would immediately replace Camerupt without letting it evolve if an enemy TR was pretty imminent. While some TR users are weak to Dark Pulse but not always fatally, Slowbro is not among them, and was also the biggest offender when it came to deactivating TR.

I could waffle on and on about the things Clawitzer has done for me, but I'll keep it short by saying it's easily my favorite gen VI poke, one of my most prized shinies (I already had a perfectly good TR Clawitzer but kept breeding in my spare time, hee) and while there are some things it disappointingly can't OHKO on a supereffective hit, they're mostly limited to 252 HP/252 SDef positive-natured things like Metagross which aren't a threat offensively. For mother fuckers like Walrein4, enjoy your quick and unavoidable demise.

Landorus-Therian @ Power Anklet
Male, Intimidate, Brave (252 HP, 252 Att, 4 SDef)
Speed at lv50: 43
-Knock Off
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Hammer Arm

The only team member with physical attack investment. I am likely one of the only people that was or would be thrilled to catch a Landorus with 0 speed IVs, but numerous failed Mewtwo attempts during X, as well as some shitty Terrakion and Ho-oh searches proved that with enough patience, Speed IVs of 0 could be found. It actually took another attempt before the 0 Speed was also Brave nature, so the first one was a real letdown.

When Landorus came in out of necessity, it was to neuter a physical threat that could potentially target Slowbro, a very rare but inevitable occurrence nonetheless, or as damage control following an untimely flinch on Slowbro. Landorus made a fantastic cleaner all the same, as it packed enough of a punch to OHKO many bulky things weak to Knock Off, and many poorly bulky things weak or not weak to Earthquake/Hammer Arm. Because of Gardevoir's Telepathy and the couple Protect users on the team, there were usually safe opportunities to quake.
---------------

I love this team because of the unorthodox presence of Gardevoir and Landorus, the inclusion of my favorites Clawitzer and Slowbro, and the fact that the only similarity it shares to VaporeonIce's team is Aron, by way of a whopping two moves, moves which it can't function without. It was a big deal to me to not cave and use things that were statistically more effective, particularly Dusclops (already been done twice) and after Vappy posted his streak and elaborated on how damn good a wall Audino made, I briefly felt pangs of "maybe I should be using Audino instead" before stubborness and determination overwhelmed those thoughts. I had been using Rindo Berry Slowbro to great effect by the time we started chatting, and it was wholly my creation, so I felt obligated to keep it that way. This also pretty much guaranteed there could be no salt spread by any success I had, not that I ever anticipated such.

My favorite thing about my front line is the atrocious speed. Camerupt speed ties with Shuckle and Steelix4, and is outsped only by Avalugg4. That's it. On the turn it evolves, it's able to OHKO Escavalier/Trevenant4 before they can move, an opportunity I had several times throughout the streak. Vappy mentioned what a pain in the ass Bastiodon4 can be; while it managed to flinch Slowbro a couple of times, once TR was up, Mr Fortress Face became my bitch, as even with the Sitrus Berry, Slowbro could still outspeed it and finish it off with Scald. There is virtually nothing that threatens Camerupt and Aron that the two of them cannot remove before they have a chance to act. As such, my team doesn't have individual threats but instead is troubled by the things that introduce heavy elements of hax, or combinations that introduce several conflicts of interest:

• Rangers & Chefs, plus the two Beauties that run a Water/Ice team and Rain Dance team, respectively. These are the most likely trainers to stack bulky waters in their frontline, manageable by themselves, but when a TR setter is introduced, it all goes to hell. Or at least, it can. When some of those pokes are also Poliwrath, who can't be killed by Endeavor + Eruption, or Carracosta4 with its Aqua Jet, Sturdy and WP, things get increasingly more interesting. Enemy setters were more problematic than Snow Warning + priority users, since at least those pokes could be slain by Camerupt.
  • Psychics and Hex Maniacs. Though their claim to fame was mostly just making me grumble, as Clawitzer murders them like a psychopath and their generally limited movesets (Psychic move, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball) on a number of possible enemies posed little threat to Camerupt.
  • Set A Teams. Most of the really undesireable things that can come in combinations to threaten my leads are Set A pokes, particularly water starters, Slowthings who happen to be bulky waters, and then the stuff that Camerupt just cannot KO on its own, like Goodra. There are some things like Tyrantrum4 that are also Set A, but they're threatening because they pair with shit like Whiscash4.
  • Ludicolo with no Aron in sight. No Aron typically meant that the recipient of Fake Out will be someone that needed to attack, such as Clawitzer, the other half of an attack on Wailord4, enabling it to take its move, in this specific memory Hydro Pump, thereby wasting Camerupt. With Aron and Camerupt present, I'd just Protect for the toss-up between FO/HP and continue as normal. Fake Out would normally not be limited to Ludicolo, but Mienshao, Medicham and Shifty nearly always preferred to use their Fighting attacks instead. I still Protected against them, but they didn't make names for themselves because of it.
  • Druddigon4/Marowak4 + Serperior4. The former two like to use Outrage if they're on Slowbro's side, and their hold items inflate the power to amounts that will prove fatal if they target Slowbro in addition to Leaf Storm. One battle in the 900s had this happen, but Leaf Storm targeted Aron, who protected, so I was safe. The rest of the team was generally unfriendly without TR in play, so I was extremely relieved by my luck. Serperior going after Aron is very rare. Marowak using Earthquake is still just as bad, as that'll also KO Slowbro after Leaf Storm.
  • Mold Breaker + Bulky water. No terrible battles come to mind, but a bad conflict of interest nonetheless. Sawk4 was never lead directly opposite Slowbro, but it could have taunted through Oblivious; Rampardos is strong as hell regardless and generally needs to be taken down ASAP.
  • Gigalith + Sand Stream + Storm Drain + Threat to Camerupt. Lump this asshole in with the max special bulk crowd, and you have an asshole that survives Flamethrower after Endeavor, and in this specific memory is of COURSE accompanied by things far worse than it, so it gets to do its bullshit while I struggle to remove its cohorts. Even without Storm Drain, Gigalith4 is 3HKOd by Scald in the sand. Wonderful. Lead Gigalith opposite Slowbro is also able to flinch with Rock Slide, which has happened more than once.
  • Cradily4. This thing gets a mention all by itself just because of how fucking annoying a little package it is. It's bulky, slow as piss (notably faster than Clawitzer under TR) and I swear to god this thing RARELY came without Storm Drain, which usually would limit my options very badly on the numerous Worker teams this POS appeared with. Honestly, this thing did not give me a lot of problems, especially since I prioritized taking it out, but as far as nuisances go, the ONLY thing that pissed me off more than Storm Drain Cradily was this one fucking Slowking that used Trick Room every one of its turns until it was KOd, with a Pressure Wailord4 on the field, sucking down my own TR PP until it was slain. Which was only two uses, but still, my patience bottomed out fast.
Once I learned to always assume an enemy had the most undesireable ability it could possibly have for that given turn, the number of regrettable decisions became too infrequent to remember. I still took some coin flips on occasion, particularly using Endeavor on Rough Skin Garchomp, but that was only if the safe route provided negligible gain.

VaporeonIce told me that enemy uses of TR were very rare, and I'm jealous. It was common enough that I could reliably expect it from the Slowthings (though all of the setters used it at least once), and I deleted far, far more replays of this happening than will be posted. Oddly enough, Mara was almost never the one to do this. Needless to say, it drove me mad, and many battles forced me to plan for it.

I'll be recording over all my battles with music and compiling them, since that sort of thing is fun for me, but since there's unlikely to be any real interest in that, I'll still upload individual replays.

Battle #1,000: 586W-WWWW-WWXU-2H6S
Skarmory/Torterra/Garchomp/Marowak/Golurk/Donphan

Battle #915: J48G-WWWW-WWXU-2H7V
Blastoise/Serperior/Marowak/Jynx/Vileplume/Nidoqueen

I haven't mock battled this one yet, but damn, I could have lost this streak right here had various things gone wrong.

Battle #792: 39PW-WWWW-WWXU-3EXC
Battle #552: G9WG-WWWW-WWXU-3E44
Battle #504: 6DXW-WWWW-WWXU-3E65

Battles won without TR, due to severe mechanical failure. None of these battles involve it being one-shotted by Serperior4, so pick a random one if you're interested and see what happens. One of those was entirely my fault due to a misplay.

Battle #560: KGEW-WWWW-WWXU-3E39
Darmanitan/Clawitzer/Vileplume/Toxicroak/Electrode/Forretress

What started as an unwilling soiree into an unexpected Teeter Dance quickly degenerated into an amusing display of shooting oneself in the foot and all my aggravation for naut. But don't think I didn't hit myself when it mattered.

Battle #824: 9HLW-WWWW-WWXU-3DUM
Battle #524: M6BG-WWWW-WWXU-3E5X

Battles with teams that generally liked to give my frontline a lot of grief, but usually beaten easily with intelligent decision making. #524 is basically a match made in hell as far as nightmare lead combos go. Lead killers? Check. TR removal? Check. Priority? Double check.

Due to upload limits, the seven or so displays of the art of repeated TR erasing (I bothered to keep seven. There were easily over 50, and I stopped saving them) will be saved for their own little youtube vid, since when looking back the battles look kinda funny. I also saved a bunch of the aggravating ones like consecutive flinches and the like for the bigger vid I'll use to showcase the team in general. I have two vids of specTACularly awful battles pre-Rindo, won with no TR by the skin of my teeth, but I didn't know we could only upload ten replays at once, so I can't show them off. Both battles are fairly embarassing, but the enemy teams are just bad enough (especially their final pokes) that I pulled through.

I have no real intention of taking this team a lot farther, but it wouldn't feel right to jump back into randoms at such a point. I'll continue... some time in the future... until then, I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel good to jump several places on the leaderboard, and especially to crack the big one-oh-oh-oh. :)

Last edited:
Hey!
I'm not sure if this is the place to post, and I'm pretty embarrassed to post here after seeing your win streaks o_O
But I'm having trouble in super singles to get to the 50 win mark (not even close to the couple of thousands I see here...). So I was wondering if You guys could help a little with my team?

My team is made of these:
Charizard-X, Blaze
Adamant, (HP 4, Att 252, Spd 252)
-Dragon Dance
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Flare Blitz

Azumarill @Assault Vest, Huge Power
Adamant, (HP 252, Att 252, Spd 4)
-Superpower
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough

Scizor Choice Band, Technician
Adamant (HP 252, Att 252, Spd 4)
-Superpower
-U-Turn
-Bullet-Punch
-Pursuit (Yeah I know, terrible choice but I didn't know what else to put on him...)

I usually lead with Charizard, DD once or twice on first turn and sweep, but I really feel like my Scizor is letting me down, and I don't know what to replace him with... I've never made it past 42 wins... Pretty pathetic I know, I'm not too good at battling unfortunately... :/

I really want to build a team around Azu and Zard X, and (to me) it seems that they have decent synergy. Is there something wrong with that pairing, and do I have to start a new team from scratch?

Hope you guys can help me!

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Hey!
I'm not sure if this is the place to post, and I'm pretty embarrassed to post here after seeing your win streaks o_O
But I'm having trouble in super singles to get to the 50 win mark (not even close to the couple of thousands I see here...). So I was wondering if You guys could help a little with my team?

My team is made of these:
Charizard-X, Blaze
Adamant, (HP 4, Att 252, Spd 252)
-Dragon Dance
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Flare Blitz

Azumarill @Assault Vest, Huge Power
Adamant, (HP 252, Att 252, Spd 4)
-Superpower
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough

Scizor Choice Band, Technician
Adamant (HP 252, Att 252, Spd 4)
-Superpower
-U-Turn
-Bullet-Punch
-Pursuit (Yeah I know, terrible choice but I didn't know what else to put on him...)

I usually lead with Charizard, DD once or twice on first turn and sweep, but I really feel like my Scizor is letting me down, and I don't know what to replace him with... I've never made it past 42 wins... Pretty pathetic I know, I'm not too good at battling unfortunately... :/

I really want to build a team around Azu and Zard X, and (to me) it seems that they have decent synergy. Is there something wrong with that pairing, and do I have to start a new team from scratch?

Hope you guys can help me!
Knock Off >> Pursuit on that Scizor, but yea looks like that's the one that's gonna need replacing.
I like it that you're trying to build something around Charizard-X, I tried coming up with something around him too at some point before I thought up a different team. Essentially it's a worse Dragonite with greater initial power, usable dual STAB, and a burn immunity. Charizard-X/Azumarill's synergy seems alright, but from the looks of it there are two things that are gonna be really annoying to them:
-Thunder Wave (and parahax from Electric-type attacks in general, XZard getting an Electric-type resistance upon Mega Evolving sounds cool until you realise the AI is happily gonna use Electric-type attacks against base Charizard anyway and the resistance doesn't stop the parahax)
-strong Rock-types: Charizard should have no problem taking on CB Tyrantrum, but you really don't want to face CB Aerodactyl with this team.

Probably one of the bulkiest viable Rock resists that should synergise decently with this team is Ferrothorn, but that one doesn't solve the TWave problem - if you wanna cover both of these in a single slot you're gonna need a Ground-type. Easily the best Ground-type in Maison singles is specially defensive Gliscor (the XZard team I thought up was XZard/Suicune for bulk/Gliscor to absorb Thunder Waves, never actually used it because it's essentially just a worse version of the current no.2 singles team) but ironically it doesn't resist Rock so it doesn't perform too well against Aerodactyl; a crit will take it out before Aero wastes all of its Stone Edge PP, and Charizard is no Mega Scizor which can Roost spam its way through the remaining PP relatively safely, so I'm not too confident Gliscor is what this team needs. I'm actually a bit tempted to skillfully double up on the dragons and recommend Garchomp, because he does take on Electrics and strong Rock-types nicely and you don't seem to be doubling up too terribly on the weaknesses (only Dragon, which your team generally should slaughter anyway - I'm sure I'm overlooking something here because I haven't been looking into too many individual threats, but XZard / Garchomp doesn't seem anywhere near as terrible as, say, Mega Salamence / Garchomp)

Alternatively, I'm not too sure how much mileage you're getting out of Roost, and replacing that with Substitute will also allow you to block most Thunder Waves - which also frees up room for Ferrothorn (or something like Aegislash, although the EQuake weakness looks off-putting at first glance). Having your entire team consist of physical attackers is fine because you have a burn absorber in XZard lol. Could be that Heatran is gonna be too much of a dick then, though.

As for the current sets, Azumarill should run Wide Lens because you can't afford to have Play Rough miss 10% of the time (99% for something that you're not primarily relying on is fine), and its EV spread can be improved ever so slightly by changing it to 236 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe - this is still max bulk + power, but it also makes SpD > Def, which gives Porygons the wrong Download boost if they ever were to switch in on Azu.

Good luck!

Knock Off >> Pursuit on that Scizor, but yea looks like that's the one that's gonna need replacing.
I like it that you're trying to build something around Charizard-X, I tried coming up with something around him too at some point before I thought up a different team. Essentially it's a worse Dragonite with greater initial power, usable dual STAB, and a burn immunity. Charizard-X/Azumarill's synergy seems alright, but from the looks of it there are two things that are gonna be really annoying to them:
-Thunder Wave (and parahax from Electric-type attacks in general, XZard getting an Electric-type resistance upon Mega Evolving sounds cool until you realise the AI is happily gonna use Electric-type attacks against base Charizard anyway and the resistance doesn't stop the parahax)
-strong Rock-types: Charizard should have no problem taking on CB Tyrantrum, but you really don't want to face CB Aerodactyl with this team.

Probably one of the bulkiest viable Rock resists that should synergise decently with this team is Ferrothorn, but that one doesn't solve the TWave problem - if you wanna cover both of these in a single slot you're gonna need a Ground-type. Easily the best Ground-type in Maison singles is specially defensive Gliscor (the XZard team I thought up was XZard/Suicune for bulk/Gliscor to absorb Thunder Waves, never actually used it because it's essentially just a worse version of the current no.2 singles team) but ironically it doesn't resist Rock so it doesn't perform too well against Aerodactyl; a crit will take it out before Aero wastes all of its Stone Edge PP, and Charizard is no Mega Scizor which can Roost spam its way through the remaining PP relatively safely, so I'm not too confident Gliscor is what this team needs. I'm actually a bit tempted to skillfully double up on the dragons and recommend Garchomp, because he does take on Electrics and strong Rock-types nicely and you don't seem to be doubling up too terribly on the weaknesses (only Dragon, which your team generally should slaughter anyway - I'm sure I'm overlooking something here because I haven't been looking into too many individual threats, but XZard / Garchomp doesn't seem anywhere near as terrible as, say, Mega Salamence / Garchomp)

Alternatively, I'm not too sure how much mileage you're getting out of Roost, and replacing that with Substitute will also allow you to block most Thunder Waves - which also frees up room for Ferrothorn (or something like Aegislash, although the EQuake weakness looks off-putting at first glance). Having your entire team consist of physical attackers is fine because you have a burn absorber in XZard lol. Could be that Heatran is gonna be too much of a dick then, though.

As for the current sets, Azumarill should run Wide Lens because you can't afford to have Play Rough miss 10% of the time (99% for something that you're not primarily relying on is fine), and its EV spread can be improved ever so slightly by changing it to 236 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe - this is still max bulk + power, but it also makes SpD > Def, which gives Porygons the wrong Download boost if they ever were to switch in on Azu.

Good luck!
Wow thanks! I'll try running around some of those suggestions, see what I can do with it :)
Also, what kind of Garchomp should I try? Not the DD since I already have ZardX right?
Thanks for all of this, this is amazing haha!

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Wow thanks! I'll try running around some of those suggestions, see what I can do with it :)
Also, what kind of Garchomp should I try? Not the DD since I already have ZardX right?
Thanks for all of this, this is amazing haha!
Not entirely sure, off the top of my head max/max Jolly with Lum and Outrage / Earthquake / Swords Dance or Sub / filler would make most sense. STAB moves are standard, and if you're gonna switch it into Electrics it would be nice to have some way to take advantage of them, which is where SD and Sub come in (although Scarf would make sense too if it's supposed to switch in on Aerodactyl) While having multiple setup sweepers is never much of a problem (as evidenced by multiple Dragonite/Suicune or Aegislash/Kangaskhan teams on the leaderboard haha) SD does indeed seem not entirely necessary with Zard's Dragon Dance, and Sub is generally a really useful move anyway, especially against OHKO spammers. I've used non-SD/non-LO Chomp a bit in doubles/triples and found it too weak, but that should be less of an issue in singles, where you get to use Outrage and a full-powered EQ. In the final slot you could put something like Rock Slide (because Roller Skaters specialise in Electric and Flying so you're gonna need Garchomp against a lot of those) or Fire Fang, it essentially decides if you want to be walled by Skarmory or Togekiss. The accuracy is bleh but you're gonna use it only rarely anyway (especially since it looks like you're just going for 50). Using both SD and Sub looks perfectly viable too, and it's your team after all :)

Last edited:
Not entirely sure, off the top of my head max/max Jolly with Lum and Outrage / Earthquake / Swords Dance or Sub / filler would make most sense. STAB moves are standard, and if you're gonna switch it into Electrics it would be nice to have some way to take advantage of them, which is where SD and Sub come in (although Scarf would make sense too if it's supposed to switch in on Aerodactyl) While having multiple setup sweepers is never much of a problem (as evidenced by multiple Dragonite/Suicune or Aegislash/Kangaskhan teams on the leaderboard haha) SD does indeed seem not entirely necessary with Zard's Dragon Dance, and Sub is generally a really useful move anyway, especially against OHKO spammers. I've used non-SD/non-LO Chomp a bit in doubles/triples and found it too weak, but that should be less of an issue in singles, where you get to use Outrage and a full-powered EQ. In the final slot you could put something like Rock Slide (because Roller Skaters specialise in Electric and Flying so you're gonna need Garchomp against a lot of those) or Fire Fang, it essentially decides if you want to be walled by Skarmory or Togekiss. The accuracy is bleh but you're gonna use it only rarely anyway (especially since it looks like you're just going for 50). Using both SD and Sub looks perfectly viable too, and it's your team after all :)
Thanks!! I'll play around with that and see how it works :)
Thanks a mill!! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)