Unpopular opinions

Idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually don't like battling. I like the adventure way more. I wish there were more NPCs to talk to. I love it so much.
Meh, me too. I'm more of an explorer than a battler. I like going around and looking for items more than battling. No wonder I loved the Underground, and was sad to see it go.

I actually enjoy breeding and raising the Pokemon the best. Like actually battling isn't my strong suit, but I can certain make pretty good competitive teams in cartridge and I don't mind being bored while breeding.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually don't like battling. I like the adventure way more. I wish there were more NPCs to talk to. I love it so much.
Meh, me too. I'm more of an explorer than a battler. I like going around and looking for items more than battling. No wonder I loved the Underground, and was sad to see it go.
While I enjoy battling (I personally get a satisfying feeling when I knock out my opponent, especially when its a one-shot or after a tough battle), the exploring aspect of Pokemon is just as exciting. Especially when its a new location and you don't know what it has or looks like. I do go out of my way to try and talk with all the NPCs I can find and get all the free items hidden around. Of course that's for cities and towns, for locations like in dungeons, Gyms, and villain's HQ I do look forward to the puzzles for a bit (whether I'm satisfied with the puzzle is another story). And even after battles I try to make sure to talk with the NPC after the battle is done to see if they have anything else to say. In addition to battling and exploring I'm also looking for world building and interesting characters.

I actually enjoy breeding and raising the Pokemon the best. Like actually battling isn't my strong suit, but I can certain make pretty good competitive teams in cartridge and I don't mind being bored while breeding.
While I don't breed except to fill my Pokedex, I have to admit I do have some fun in ORAS riding my bike around the perimeter of the Battle Resort trying not to hit any obstacle, at least until the Eggs hatch. :P

I like breeding, but sometimes it becomes too much of a task to get the right pokemon, I wanted to breed a steelix, and I thought it would be fun to go catch it in a heavy ball for the excellent match. So started up my heart gold version, and cycled down to Kurt to get my balls, sat the clock to 23:59, waited a minute and got them. Then I went to the union cave, went through countless encounters before I finally got my female onix, threw my heavy ball expecting an easy catch with the x4 modifier, but no, it broke free. I restarted and tried again, this time weakening it and statusing it, threw my balls, but no! I gave up after the second fail.

The same thing for riolu, what a pain! I wanted a prankster one in a great ball, so here's what I had to do: Catch a HA 12,5% female in the friend safari, bike around with it until it is happy, evolve it, breed a new HA 12,5 female with better IV's, evolve it, breed another, flawless HA riolu and then I can start EV training it. I gave up this project after running around in the friend safari for an hour or so.

Honestly, I think breeding can be very fun if you have the time to breed, start a trade thread and trade with people, but for new breeders, who don't have anything of value to offer in the WiFi forum, it's a pain to breed valuable Pokemon.

Remember how I said I hate entry hazards, especially Toxic Spikes? For those of you who just think it is part of the game, and that I should accept that, you'll love this Battle Video: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/unratedrandombattle-227914458

As you can see, it was a very close battle, and I would've lost if I didn't use entry hazards when I had the chance. With all those Toxics flying on my side of the field, I had to even the odds somehow.

On the subject of toxic spikes, I think they are the easiest hazard to control; they don't effect flying types, nor pokemon with levitate, neither does they effect steel types (that's half your average team) and they are removed the moment you send in a poison type. Also, basically every defogger and spinner in the tier are immune to them! ^^

On the subject of toxic spikes, I think they are the easiest hazard to control; they don't effect flying types, nor pokemon with levitate, neither does they effect steel types (that's half your average team) and they are removed the moment you send in a poison type. Also, basically every defogger and spinner in the tier are immune to them! ^^
Understatement for me. My Rapid Spinner is the immune Excadrill. I have another Pokémon that can't be affected by Toxic Spikes but wishes he could: Gliscor. Plus, three of the remaining four Pokémon on my team have someway of getting rid of Poison (Sylveon's Heal Bell, Slowbro's Rest, and Chansey's Aromathreapy in addition to Natural Cure). Only my Goodra has no way of curing itself, but I do have the aforementioned Sylveon and Chansey, so Toxic Spikes are no concern usually to me.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
definitely not unpopular, though Poison-types are not all that common on most teams. however the things that poison affects most (setup sweepers and components of stall) carry methods of which to handle most kinds of status, such as lum berries for the former and clerics for the latter.

Charizard doesn't deserve to be in smash.
Being realistic with the fact that Jigglypuff isn't going any time soon - unfortunately - Charizard does seem to be the one Pokémon that makes their side of the roster far too big. Pikachu's obviously there because mascot, Greninja's the new gen rep, Jiggly is Smash 64 so never going, Mewtwo's the superboss which should always be in smash as the closest thing to an antag Pokémon has, and Lucario was in Brawl with a unique moveset and represents a gen that isn't the first or the most recent. Charizard is just another Gen 1 Pokémon on top of the pile which without Pokémon Trainer honestly has a very boring moveset, is very slow and sluggish to use, and I firmly believe that it's frame and body shape really don't fit into smash (yes, I'm one of those keep-ridley-out people). It's by far the worst Pokémon still in Smash and brings the least to the game than any of the others.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Being realistic with the fact that Jigglypuff isn't going any time soon - unfortunately - Charizard does seem to be the one Pokémon that makes their side of the roster far too big. Pikachu's obviously there because mascot, Greninja's the new gen rep, Jiggly is Smash 64 so never going, Mewtwo's the superboss which should always be in smash as the closest thing to an antag Pokémon has, and Lucario was in Brawl with a unique moveset and represents a gen that isn't the first or the most recent. Charizard is just another Gen 1 Pokémon on top of the pile which without Pokémon Trainer honestly has a very boring moveset, is very slow and sluggish to use, and I firmly believe that it's frame and body shape really don't fit into smash (yes, I'm one of those keep-ridley-out people). It's by far the worst Pokémon still in Smash and brings the least to the game than any of the others.

As much as I want to disagree, though I was initially excited to see Charizard back (he's my favorite Pokemon afterall), without Pokemon Trainer's gimmick he does seem a bit lacking in substance. He was probably able to keep in thanks to having a Mega Evolution, but then again Lucario has one too (and now Mewtwo, though his just does one super attack instead of remaining in that form for a while). All in all he's sort of like Bowser though he has wings so he can fly and do dashes. Personally I would try to have a different Pokemon from each generation in the game. Pikachu is a mascot so he's of course in, Jigglypuff was in the first Smash game so it has "super veteran" status so its staying, Lucario is the Gen IV rep, and Greninga is the Gen VI rep. We're missing Gen II, III, and V (not that it matter, but my personal picks would be Typhlosion (to have a Fire-type), Sceptile (to have a Grass-type), and Zoroark (sort of the Lucario of that gen)). I'm sad to say this, but the only way Charizard should have come back is if they decided to bring Pokemon Trainer back as DLC (which they wouldn't have done as Sakurai didn't want form changes in the game). Mewtwo being DLC is okay, its another Gen I rep but he didn't take development time away from any other character being made after the game's release.

Taking a quick side step, while I have a bit of a hard time seeing Ridley actually fighting as a normal fighter (he's a very lanky and tall character, if they shrunk him down he wouldn't look quite right especially when he goes up against Samus) I actually like him being a boss in Brawl. Actually I like the boss ideas from Brawl and sad to see they didn't keep it. It would have been a great way to incorporate characters they normally couldn't due to size and fighting style problems. Just make them a special boss like Ridley, Pokey, and Rayquaza. That's my thought on that.

Remember how I said I hate entry hazards, especially Toxic Spikes? For those of you who just think it is part of the game, and that I should accept that, you'll love this Battle Video: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/unratedrandombattle-227914458.
I'm sorry, you can't draw any valid conclusions about competitive Pokemon from the outcome of a random battle. In randbats sometimes you just face a threat (normally a Pokemon, but in this case a particular move) that you can do nothing about. If you're weak to Toxic Spikes in "real" tiers then that's a fault of your own teambuilding.

That said, I'm not the biggest fan of Toxic Spikes either, though it's really Sticky Web that pisses me off the most.

You see, I'd rather Charizard over Lucario for Smash. Lucario is hilariously over-rated by Nintendo (yes I know I am arguing for Charizard here) but Lucario and Gren have somewhat similar speeds and Smash need heavier characters.

You see, I'd rather Charizard over Lucario for Smash. Lucario is hilariously over-rated by Nintendo (yes I know I am arguing for Charizard here) but Lucario and Gren have somewhat similar speeds and Smash need heavier characters.
Lucario is actually better than Charizard because Lucario actually brings something new to the game (a character whose attacks get significantly powered up as it takes damage), while Charizard doesn't really bring anything new (King Dedede also serves as a heavy flier).

Lucario is actually better than Charizard because Lucario actually brings something new to the game (a character whose attacks get significantly powered up as it takes damage), while Charizard doesn't really bring anything new (King Dedede also serves as a heavy flier).
I would say the Flare Blitz (or is it Head Smash?) is pretty unique. A really powerful attack, which does high damage, has a big hitbox, automatically launches opponents, and can even be used for horizontal recovery, but which damages the user to balance it, is something no other character brings to the table.

I would say the Flare Blitz (or is it Head Smash?) is pretty unique. A really powerful attack, which does high damage, has a big hitbox, automatically launches opponents, and can even be used for horizontal recovery, but which damages the user to balance it, is something no other character brings to the table.
To be honest, that's like the only fancy and unique thing about Charizard and it is really great as a surprise attack against a foe. But to be fair, if Jigglypuff wasn't from the original, I'd cut her. She was only in it because the Japanese loved them at the time of Gen 1. Nothing really good or fancy or anything about her. The rest of the Pokemon characters in the current Smash Bros other than Jigglypuff makes sense somewhat...

Though to be fair, I'm one of those people that don't believe any character should be cut and I'd love for Squirtle and Ivysaur to appear as their own characters. I'd play the shit out of Squirtle. Ivysaur they'd have to retool a lot because they're removing recovery moves that are tether recovery, but eh, I guess. It'll also be funny if they put in Pichu again. I'd pay $10 for a pack with those three characters.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Mew King said:
But to be fair, if Jigglypuff wasn't from the original, I'd cut her. She was only in it because the Japanese loved them at the time of Gen 1. Nothing really good or fancy or anything about her. The rest of the Pokemon characters in the current Smash Bros other than Jigglypuff makes sense somewhat...
I think Jigglypuff's inclusion comes by extension of how pronounced it was in the anime in the first couple of seasons. It appeared every so often as a running gag, so I can only assume that including it in Smash the first time was to continue said gag where it was... completely unnecessary :|

To be honest, that's like the only fancy and unique thing about Charizard and it is really great as a surprise attack against a foe. But to be fair, if Jigglypuff wasn't from the original, I'd cut her. She was only in it because the Japanese loved them at the time of Gen 1. Nothing really good or fancy or anything about her. The rest of the Pokemon characters in the current Smash Bros other than Jigglypuff makes sense somewhat...

Though to be fair, I'm one of those people that don't believe any character should be cut and I'd love for Squirtle and Ivysaur to appear as their own characters. I'd play the shit out of Squirtle. Ivysaur they'd have to retool a lot because they're removing recovery moves that are tether recovery, but eh, I guess. It'll also be funny if they put in Pichu again. I'd pay $10 for a pack with those three characters.
It would make more sense for Smash Bros just to have a starter from each region. Of course Charizard would have to stay for Kanto, and Greninja for Kalos. But it wouldn't be that hard to include 6 Starters I think, two Water types, etc. They would just be more DLC like Mewtwo is. Then Jigglypuff could be removed, because it wouldn't make sense in an all-starter playable for the Pokemon fighters.

I think there's always going to be fundamental differences of opinion of "who should/shouldn't be in Smash" between the notoriously tribal casual/competitive groups.

Anyway, back on actual Pokemon games: I actually really enjoy Voltorb Flip. Whilst I wouldn't do it in one sitting or anything, I don't mind having to play for three hours to grind for an Ice Beam TM. And I'm someone who generally finds grinding pretty boring.

I actually like the fact that items disappear after usage in adventure mode. They should add that in online play too. Would make it a lot harder and would make people care a lot more about what they spend/use.

I actually like the fact that items disappear after usage in adventure mode. They should add that in online play too. Would make it a lot harder and would make people care a lot more about what they spend/use.
That will likely never happen. Game Freak is clearly trying to do stuff that will lower that amount of hacking by giving us ways to do things legit. The various breeding mechanic improvements over the years (from Emerald to X and Y), infinite use TMs, both Super and Horde Training, and it is easier to get BP than ever before (getting it after every battle, only needing a single 20 battle streak for 48 BP, and Pokémon Bank). Making us lose consumable items in Wi-Fi would just encourage people to hack tons of Focus Sashes and Air Balloons just for tournaments alone!

I don't think that it is solely down to disincentivising hacking. Rather, there is more stuff to get in every generation (I think we had a thread a while ago about "content creep"). So GameFreak has to make it easier to get stuff to stop the completionists going insane.

Also I just don't like the idea that Wi-Fi battles are "real" within the game. Once a Wi-Fi battle/battle facility streak has finished the game should carry on like nothing happened. That means no experience gained, no Pokedex pages updated and no battle items consumed.

That will likely never happen. Game Freak is clearly trying to do stuff that will lower that amount of hacking by giving us ways to do things legit. The various breeding mechanic improvements over the years (from Emerald to X and Y), infinite use TMs, both Super and Horde Training, and it is easier to get BP than ever before (getting it after every battle, only needing a single 20 battle streak for 48 BP, and Pokémon Bank). Making us lose consumable items in Wi-Fi would just encourage people to hack tons of Focus Sashes and Air Balloons just for tournaments alone!
Hmm, that's true. I already knew it was never going to happen, but it would make it more fun and exciting for me at least, haha.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The fact consumable items get "used up" during battle is enough to make a player question whether and/or when they should use a certain item. No need to actually make them go find another one in-game if they want to use it again online or in the Battle Facility.
I think the reason consumable items are used up in the main game is because in the main game battles aren't isolated, they do effect the main game in some way being gaining experience for your Pokemon or defeating trainers in your way. And after battles your Pokemon retain the damage, status ailments, and lost PP. I always wished they provided a ton more side stories to the post main game, the Battle Facility is okay but as I said they're just rows of isolated battles.

Also I just don't like the idea that Wi-Fi battles are "real" within the game. Once a Wi-Fi battle/battle facility streak has finished the game should carry on like nothing happened. That means no experience gained, no Pokedex pages updated and no battle items consumed.
Kind of wish they did add to your Pokedex, lol. But yeah, in-story they don't really exist or they're very selective about what exists (like they're acknowledge you defeating a facility head, but not really mention any of the specific trainers you needed to defeat to get to them).

The thing that irks me is a certain degree of inconsistencies with how held items are handled in main game battle. Like, single use Battle items (excluding berries) can be completely used up like Air Balloon, Weakness policy, etc.

But at the same time, losing items to circumstances like Knock Off, Trick, Thief, etc. is reverted post battle. I find it inconsistent, and kind of arbitrary considering most of the items that would be abusable (Focus Sash, Air Balloon) usually aren't readily available until post-game anyway.

That's without raising my issue of how you can "use up" some of the items, like the Focus Sash. Only the Air Balloon makes particular sense to me.

The thing that irks me is a certain degree of inconsistencies with how held items are handled in main game battle. Like, single use Battle items (excluding berries) can be completely used up like Air Balloon, Weakness policy, etc.

But at the same time, losing items to circumstances like Knock Off, Trick, Thief, etc. is reverted post battle. I find it inconsistent, and kind of arbitrary considering most of the items that would be abusable (Focus Sash, Air Balloon) usually aren't readily available until post-game anyway.

That's without raising my issue of how you can "use up" some of the items, like the Focus Sash. Only the Air Balloon makes particular sense to me.
Maybe the Focus Sash gets seriously damaged?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 9)