Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V3 - Read Post 3451 Page 139

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyway, there's a few changes in my mind right now...
--> D rank, ultra niche TR mon and has competition with Infernape and Victini of all things, the former with better coverage and speed and the latter with more raw power and competes for the TR slot. (sorry xtra$hine)
--> unranked, I haven't seen the arguments for this, but I still have no clue why you would use a non-Mega Gardevoir, other than for the novelty of using a non-Mega Gardevoir.
--> C-, being able to break the bulky waters in the tier is excellent, and can be a massive help to offensive FWG cores. Unlike Celebi, it doesn't add a Dark weakness, which is nice considering the bets spinner and best defogger are both Psychic-type.

That's all I got for now; although I'm not sure why Gorebyss is in D rank while Smeargle is in C-, considering they kinda have the same
niche...possibly raise one or lower the other imo
HUNTAIL FOR C- DAMN IT
Huntail is superior to these two because he got Sucker Punch, making him slightly more difficult to be RK'd by scarfs & faster things, so if he can threaten what threatens SmashPass, that's good, alright?

Cofagrigus from D to C-/C

This nomination might be a bit out there, but Cofagrigus is actually pretty useful in some ways in this meta since it hard checks/counters Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, Mega Gallade, Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, Mega Pinsir, AV Azumarill (and checks Choice Band Azumarill assuming you don't switch into Knock Off), and many other miscellaneous physical threats due to Mummy, very solid physical bulk, and a decent defensive typing (spinblocking against Excadrill is nice).

Low HP, good-but-not-great (especially since you don't EV for it) Special Defense, pathetic speed, and a lack of consistent recovery also sucks, but the access to Toxic Spikes, WoW, Hex (in conjunction with the status spreading) Haze (although this isn't really good), and Snatch (actually viable on Cofagrigus, and lets you pseudo-stall break against certain things by stealing their recovery) make it a viable enough to warrant moving up to C- or even C (IMO, C, simply because it checks/counters so many top tier physical threats-and you can even run a Trick Room Nasty Plot set that's worth D/C- alone IMO). Will provide replays soon, although ben gay had a team with Cofagrigus recently that kinda showcased how useful it can be.

Last edited:
Cofagrigus from D to C-

This nomination might be a bit out there, but Cofagrigus is actually pretty useful in some ways in this meta since it hard checks/counters Mega Metagross, Mega Lopunny, Mega Gallade, Mega Medicham, Mega Heracross, Mega Pinsir, AV Azumarill (and checks Choice Band Azumarill assuming you don't switch into Knock Off), and many other miscellaneous physical threats due to Mummy, very solid physical bulk, and a decent defensive typing (spinblocking against Excadrill is nice).

Low HP, good-but-not-great (especially since you don't EV for it) Special Defense, pathetic speed, and a lack of consistent recovery also sucks, but the access to Toxic Spikes, WoW, Hex (in conjunction with the status spreading) Haze (although this isn't really good), and Snatch (actually viable on Cofagrigus, and lets you pseudo-stall break against certain things by stealing their recovery) make it a viable enough to warrant moving up to C- IMO. Will provide replays soon, although ben gay had a team with Cofagrigus recently that kinda showcased how useful it can be.
I agree with this nomination. Not only does Cofagrigus have a niche on defensive teams because of the reasons stated, but its also a very useful mon on Trick Room teams. Mainly due to having the ability to nerf physical attackers who are usually really annoying for the playstyle

My problem with many of these arguments is they apply to stuff in the higher ranks. Dragonite also relies on outrage. Plus why compare it to garchomp when both do different things.Not to mentioned you compared it with excadrill which is comparing apples and oranges. Besides 97 speed is good for a wallbreaker which is why one would use it. Plus why calc it with dragon dance when swords dance is better. I'm not going to pretend it is the best thing ever but it still has enough of a niche to stay ranked. Finally you made it to up against mega scizor and ferrothorn which haxorus can run superpower for js.
I'm going to explain myself quickly. I got halfway through the original post but had to unexpectedly and urgently leg it, so I've added some more to that if you want to check it out. In the meantime, I'm going to address some of these points.
Dragonite also relies on outrage.
This is true, but Dragonite has a couple of key advantages. Number one is Extremespeed, which already makes it a superior Dragon wallbreaker. Number two is it's bulk. Dragonite has the bulk to tank a few hits, meaning it's not a one-time trump card. Number three is Wallbreaker Dragonite runs Choice Band, so it's actually hitting harder than Haxorus at +0. It doesn't have to waste a turn setting up and still hits pretty hard. It's just generally a better mon.

Plus why compare it to garchomp when both do different things.
I compare it to Garchomp because Garchomp has some successful offensive sets. It's a weak comparison, but worth just touching upon.

Not to mentioned you compared it with excadrill which is comparing apples and oranges
You can go either way with this, but the Mold Breaker comparison is valid as Excadrill makes far better use of it than Haxorus. Haxorus used to really enjoy Mold Breaker Taunts on M-Sab but the latter is no longer the face of stall and with that, Haxorus' greater niche has declined considerably. What I'm saying is that Haxorus' Mold Breaker has few relevant targets (there are more efficient ways of dealing with M-Sab): Excadrill on the other hand can land STAB EQs on Lati@s and Rotom-W, which is a greater use of the ability. That's the theory behind that comparison: to illustrate why Haxorus' Ability is not a saving grace.

Besides 97 speed is good for a wallbreaker which is why one would use it.
Good point. Textbook error on my part and I genuinely deserve to be mocked for it.

Plus why calc it with dragon dance when swords dance is better.
Yeah, that's undeniable, however Dragon Dance has significantly more usage than Swords Dance which was why I used +1 rather than +2.

Dragon Dance 64.092%
Swords Dance 6.485%
(Source: http://www.smogon.com/stats/2015-04/moveset/ou-0.txt)

Finally you made it to up against mega scizor and ferrothorn which haxorus can run superpower for js.
Nobody does though. Haxorus rather unfortunately has other things to check, meaning it often forgoes Superpower. Not that Superpower doesn't get a decent amount of usage, but I'm working on the assumption backed by fact that if you're using Haxorus, the vast majority of the time you're using some other move in that slot.
Superpower 8.338%

Hopefully that's cleared up a few of my points. I maintain that Haxorus should be unranked.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd just like to chime in to say that Haxorus should pretty much never run Dragon Dance, it is hopelessly outclassed in that role by multiple Pokemon in this tier, some of which are even kinda outclassed themselves. As far as I know the only set Haxorus should run in OU is Swords Dance/Outrage or Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Taunt with a Lum Berry and max offensive investement (obviously). Haxorus's main niche is as a stallbreaker, what with its high power and access to both Swords Dance and Mold Breaker Taunt, and honestly it's not half bad at it, as long as you can get rid of Clefable (and even so you can run Poison Jab>Taunt, though that decreases Haxorus's stallbreaking capabilities overral). So if you're going to discuss the viability of one Haxorus set, it should be that one.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
-> B

Alakazam is really good right now. It's just a really fast and hard hitting mon with a Life Orb attached, capable of hitting harder than its mega evolution, and although the latter has obvious advantages in its higher Speed and good ability in Trace, regular Alakazam is no slouch either. Thanks to Magic Guard, you can basically switch-in on any passive mon bar like Chansey (which isn't that good I'd rather use Blissey but that's my opinion though) and threaten them with powerful Psychics or any coverage move it may have. It fares well against offense due to its good speed, specially notable after Greninja's ban, outspeeding the crowded base 110-115 speed tiers. Then it has that classic Focus Sash set that revenge kills effectively due to it being inmune to passive damage and generally be annoying with Thunder Wave or even Knock Off. I think its effectiveness is on par with the likes of Scizor, Hawlucha or Amoonguss and it should move up.

Also, gonna bring some people's nominations that have been forgotten in the past.

-> C+(from AM)

It's not really that great, I have a post of it in the previous thread why I think its not. Click here to see it.

-> B- (from Srn)

I don't know, I have been using it lately and it's quite decent, it has a really good typing that nobody prepares for right now, it's a decent check to the monstruosity that are the rain teams which plows everything with Scald burns and has utility options such as SR and Knock Off which Gastrodon lacks. This allows for some momentum instead of passivity, which puts it above it imo. It checks/counters a plethora of mons like Srn said somewhere in this thread or in the past one I don't remember, cockblocking electric types and checking Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Keldeo, MMetagross (if no gk), Bisharp, Heatran, Landorus, Zard-X, etc. Should move up imo.

I'd just like to chime in to say that Haxorus should pretty much never run Dragon Dance, it is hopelessly outclassed in that role by multiple Pokemon in this tier, some of which are even kinda outclassed themselves. As far as I know the only set Haxorus should run in OU is Swords Dance/Outrage or Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Taunt with a Lum Berry and max offensive investement (obviously). Haxorus's main niche is as a stallbreaker, what with its high power and access to both Swords Dance and Mold Breaker Taunt, and honestly it's not half bad at it, as long as you can get rid of Clefable (and even so you can run Poison Jab>Taunt, though that decreases Haxorus's stallbreaking capabilities overral). So if you're going to discuss the viability of one Haxorus set, it should be that one.
I'd beg to differ. Haxorus runs both SD and DD so you can choose your move depending on the matchup. Stall/Bulky Offense? Fine, setup SD and break their defensive mons down one by one. Facing Offense? Setup DD, outspeed everything and clean up. Missing out on either one screws you over depending on the matchup, and access to both moves is what sets it apart from the other Dragons in OU (besides Zard X to an extent since it can use SD + Tailwind). Besides, you only need Outrage and Earthquake to sweep. What does Taunt help you against anyways? The only thing that comes to mind is Skarmory without Brave Bird and you really shouldn't be using Haxorus without Magnezone anyways.

Well, you might want Poison Jab to help wallbreak, particularly against Togekiss who laughs at Outrage and EQ. And let's not forget, 147 Attack. Very little can match that power (Zard X and Banded Dragonite being notable ones that do).

--> unranked, I haven't seen the arguments for this, but I still have no clue why you would use a non-Mega Gardevoir, other than for the novelty of using a non-Mega Gardevoir.
The reason it was ranked, and it was ranked on arguments in the V2 of the VR, is because it helps Hyper Offense with Scarved Memento and Healing Wish, while also having a decent speed tier and decent special attack with a perfectly spammable 95 BP move while having access to Trace making it so that weather doesn't destroy you. It has all the coverage it needs in three moves, MBlast, Psyshock, Focus Blast, and is free to fill up a scarf support move in the last slot so it isn't limited, it's not like it's super good but it's worthy of a rank.

Edit: About Haxorus, Mold Breaker SD breaks stall. That's what it does. You don't see Dragonite wallbreaking do you? Garchomp isn't comparable, since most Chomp are Fatchomp. Dragonite has a good attack but it doesn't get stuff like Mold Breaker EQ (lol rotom), and it doesn't get Swords Dance. Take note here, Mold Breaker breaks things like Thick Fat, Levitate, and even Multiscale. So it gets more coverage with Mold Breaker allowing it to break most things with just 3 moves.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd beg to differ. Haxorus runs both SD and DD so you can choose your move depending on the matchup. Stall/Bulky Offense? Fine, setup SD and break their defensive mons down one by one. Facing Offense? Setup DD, outspeed everything and clean up. Missing out on either one screws you over depending on the matchup, and access to both moves is what sets it apart from the other Dragons in OU (besides Zard X to an extent since it can use SD + Tailwind). Besides, you only need Outrage and Earthquake to sweep. What does Taunt help you against anyways? The only thing that comes to mind is Skarmory without Brave Bird and you really shouldn't be using Haxorus without Magnezone anyways.
OK there are a number of problems with this post. Firstly, SD+DD on the same set is trying to accomplish two different things, which you really shouldn't be doing: especially with a pokemon like Haxorus - and the fact that DD is only +1 speed as opposed to +2 means that it can't be used like a double-dance set. Secondly, DD is literal ass due to the fact that Haxorus can't sweep to save its life and the fact that it is completely outclassed by Dragonite, Zard X, Altaria and even Zygarde in the role. If your team struggles with offense then you aren't going to want to use Haxorus - its as simple as that. Next up, Taunt allows it to, y'know, STALLBREAK (i.e. the whole purpose of SD Haxorus even existing in the first place) as it allows it to handle things like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, PhysDef Hippowdon (VERY important) and Chesnaught (once again, very important), making it much easier to get Magnezone in v.s. the former two and meaning that you don't give your opponent free momentum every time the latter two come in.

Disagreed. By saying this, you're saying that it has no niche whatsoever in OU. Just because it's outclassed doesn't necessarily mean that it's inviable, otherwise we wouldn't have Zygarde, Shuckle, or several other things on the viability ranking. It still has a niche, albeit small, of being able to gain momentum with STAB explosions or returns.
No niche whatsoever is kinda wrong for pretty much every poke. Even Malamar has a niche with contrary superpower, but it's not a viable niche. For me and many others, being a suicide mega is not a viable niche. Also, Shuckle is the only good user of webs, and is not outclassed, and Zygarde's parashuffler set and Coil sets have strong niches too. It's DD set is outclassed, but that's not why it's ranked.

I also think vanilla Metagross should be unranked. It's got mediocre speed and special bulk, and Jirachi exists, which has similar bulk and more speed, and can fill more roles like wishpassing. I don't really care if it goes or not, but there are so many unranked mons with better niches than this thing.
Also, could someone tell me why Ludicolo is ranked? I love it, but what niche does it have?

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Vanilla Metagross is primarily used as an Assault Vest pursuit trapper which is something Jirachi cannot do so unranking it because we have Jirachi doesn't really make sense.

Ludicolo offers STAB coverage as a rain sweeper that can beat other bulky waters better (Giga Drain also giving it longevity) than most as well as having access to Ice Beam and Focus Blast so it probably has some of the best coverage among rain sweepers giving it enough of a niche (at least I think that's why it's ranked).

Forretress to C-

Even though I do agree that Ferrothorn outclasses Forretress, just hear me out. Forretress learns Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes, which gives it multiple options for entry hazards. Forretress also knows Rapid Spin which allows it to set up and promptly spin away hazards. Forretress also has Sturdy which guarantees that it will set up something. I know that Ferrothorn outclasses Forretress in everything that I haven't talked about, but I think these reasons are enough to at least get Forretress up to C-.

OK there are a number of problems with this post. Firstly, SD+DD on the same set is trying to accomplish two different things, which you really shouldn't be doing: especially with a pokemon like Haxorus - and the fact that DD is only +1 speed as opposed to +2 means that it can't be used like a double-dance set. Secondly, DD is literal ass due to the fact that Haxorus can't sweep to save its life and the fact that it is completely outclassed by Dragonite, Zard X, Altaria and even Zygarde in the role. If your team struggles with offense then you aren't going to want to use Haxorus - its as simple as that. Next up, Taunt allows it to, y'know, STALLBREAK (i.e. the whole purpose of SD Haxorus even existing in the first place) as it allows it to handle things like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, PhysDef Hippowdon (VERY important) and Chesnaught (once again, very important), making it much easier to get Magnezone in v.s. the former two and meaning that you don't give your opponent free momentum every time the latter two come in.
Well SD + DD is not doing two different things, you choose between one or the other except you have both available. +1 Speed is enough to sweep since Haxorus is naturally fast, why would you need +2? It's considerably faster than Dragonite and Mega Altaria already, so...

It's not totally outclassed by those Dragons either because they don't have the option of using SD against more defensive teams, and they lack Mold Breaker. Ferrothorn beats Haxorus 1 vs 1 regardless of Taunt with Gyro Ball, same with Hippo's EQ. Chesnaught 3HKO's with Drain Punch and you can't KO back in time if you use Taunt first, although usually you should catch them off guard with Taunt so I'll give you that. But Taunt isn't all that great and requires good prediction.

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Haxorus doesn't have the bulk to set up DDs as it is 2hko'd by almost anything relevant so it won't be sweeping, maybe it gets a kill at most before being revenged. It really is outclassed by Dragonite and other DDers which can set up on a lot more things and the little bit of extra speed doesn't make up for the fact that any decently strong priority attack is going to take it out after it takes a hit while setting up.

It's pretty much ranked solely on SD or Taunt sets that can break down bulkier cores.

Haxorus doesn't have the bulk to set up DDs as it is 2hko'd by almost anything relevant so it won't be sweeping, maybe it gets a kill at most before being revenged. It really is outclassed by Dragonite and other DDers which can set up on a lot more things and the little bit of extra speed doesn't make up for the fact that any decently strong priority attack is going to take it out after it takes a hit while setting up.

It's pretty much ranked solely on SD or Taunt sets that can break down bulkier cores.
Replace DD by SD in the first sentence and assuming this statement is true then Haxorus is totally unviable because it doesn't have the bulk to setup SD's and just gets revenged easily. Which I'd argue is not true at all, although it's a fact that Dragonite and Zard X are better. Which is why they're multiple ranks higher. Jeez.

The set I'm talking about runs SD by the way. But fact is that SD won't help much against a team that's much faster than a +0 Haxorus. DD does, even when it's "outclassed". Better to be useful and outclassed than to not be outclassed but not being able to do much because of a bad matchup. That's why you run both SD and DD, it's not that difficult to get >_>

bludz

You don't need as much bulk to set up SDs because the target is bulky teams which by design wear you down more passively, they don't rely on power to KO you.

Granted against offense it isn't going to be so great but neither is the DD set so yeah.

Edit: and yes I read your post I see you're running both, but generally they are thought of as separate sets so that's why I'm referring to them separately.

You don't need as much bulk to set up SDs because the target is bulky teams which by design wear you down more passively, they don't rely on power to KO you.
Which is a good reason to use Haxorus over other Dragons; although at that point you're also competing heavily with Garchomp.

Forretress to C-

Even though I do agree that Ferrothorn outclasses Forretress, just hear me out. Forretress learns Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes, which gives it multiple options for entry hazards. Forretress also knows Rapid Spin which allows it to set up and promptly spin away hazards. Forretress also has Sturdy which guarantees that it will set up something. I know that Ferrothorn outclasses Forretress in everything that I haven't talked about, but I think these reasons are enough to at least get Forretress up to C-.
Forretress is only ranked for the Custap set. The defensive/rapid spin set as been tried and tested multiple times; deemed as bad and is not a good basis to move it up on.

I would argue for chandelure to be unranked, but I don't know what its niche is. If someone explains what that is then I might argue. From what I see, putting a scarf on it doesn't help, because 1. It misses a lot of power (145 SpA unboosted only hits so hard) and 2. It's outsped by common scarfers (landorus, chomp, excadrill all pretty uncommon, but doesn't make them unviable), hell you can't even revenge kill DD because most outspeed (megados should be running jolly). Specs seems like a nice wall breaker, but base 80 is still quite slow, and leaves it weak to common types like rock weakness, water, ground, ghost, dark. I recall someone mentioning a CM set with trick, but against anything but stall it doesn't seem it'll put in work, plus it has horrible bulk plus weaknesses to the aforementioned types. I won't deny specs/LO hit like a truck, because they do, but I don't see that being a good niche in OU. I'm not arguing for a drop just someone to explain the niche.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
ok so I sort of touched upon noms that were brought up but anyways here's some other stuff just from skimming lower rankings.

C Rank

Yeah let's move this up to C+ please. Hazard remover that isn't pursuit trapped like starmie, puts a dent in almost all the relevant hazard removers and hazard setters in the tier through coverage, and has the ability to pressure slower builds thus making its job of hazard removal a bit easier. Even if utilizing it without hazard removal with say like Lati for hazard removing, just as a basic tank with 4 attacks has its merits for additional coverage such as Ice Beam for eliminating fat chomp and general dragons. Also can run speedier variants to get the jump on certain fat psychics like 32 Speed Mews and support Celebis. I'd say it's better than Mega Ampharos out of general viability for sure.

This was already mentioned before by a bunch others, even Whitequeen graced our presence to present us the nom originally. Webs has gotten a lot shittier with the increased relevancy of Serperior and Bisharp. Move down.

This thing is really just so mediocre. It has all this firepower and needs Trick Room so bad that I rather would just use M-Heracross or even mattybrolics M-Steelix build if I wanted to use Trick Room. Its dead weight in practice because of Manaphy increase and still dancing around trying to hit the right mon on the switch in with whatever it picked. Positives it has is being electric immune and sort of able to take a dump on frailer offense that loses momentum with this things typing but that's about it honestly.

Ok like, it's not even the fact that it's bad more so of the fact that why would I bother using this over Mega Latias these days? Enlighten me please.

Mentioned a rise earlier see Page 13.

D Rank

Yeah this thing is kind of garbage ngl. I try to justify using it on teams a whole lot but it just falls flat on its face in a shitload of situations. Scarf, Life Orb, Stall-Breaker, Specs. It's just really underwhelming for something that theoretically has perfect coverage but there's a bunch of instances that it'll never use it well when you take into account Scarftar, fat waters, its subpar speed, defenses, and exploitable typing. Rather see this unranked after the prolonged use of this for awhile now but I'm all ears and or eyes if showing me good replays. Edit from being ninja'd above, Sub CM sucks to btw.

Move up to C. This is somewhat a big jump but it's actually pretty good on stall teams right now for providing spin blocking utility, tspikes, general status while capitilizing on hex threatening fatter Psychics due to the status so it prevents them from setting up with Calm Mind turn 1, like reuniclus as one example. ben made a pretty solid stall team around this thing and I've made one myself sort of emphasizing the whole hazard stacking stall thing that makes matchups wicked easy against bulky offense and balance at times. Rest variants + cleric support maintain the hazard aspect for a prolonged time and I would definitely say it's on the level of C just looking at the current C mons right now and where I want some to go like whimsci and dugtrio.

Too many Landos, barely checks the relevant fairies in the tier anymore, set up bait for all the manaphys and special attackers and knock off torn-t doesn't care for it other than getting hit with a toxic, EQ M-Gross is a legitimate option these day so only a check in certain scenarios. In theory it works in practice it's very underwhelming and way too specific. Not exactly a definitive placement but cleaning up D means looking at this. These niches are sort of dying down for a lot of stuff, although having a niche might be overrated these days. If it works it works and I don't feel like Doublade works for being ranked.

Not really a placement more so of just seeing if this should really be in D if we're trying to legitimize it some more. It's alright I guess I know guys like rob. use it a lot but idk it seemed kind of shitty both in TR and non TR builds.

Lol idk if this should be ranked honestly. This seems more like an E rank thing to me "niche" is like extremely specific. Just saying this now that I've gotten to reevaluate rank placements now. It seems ok just super meh to me now with M-Scizor all over the place.

Sort of interested in peoples perspectives on this. Kind of seems better than the D stuff from what I've seen but maybe that's cause stuff needs to get out of D first.

I'd probably move this up. Never liked the neutrality of Electric on Rotom-W cause it sort of just gets donked on by voltturn cores while Rotom-H's typing circumvents that. Bluwing did bring up a good point to me about the rock and water weakness but idk I've seen it put in more work than most of the C- stuff. Oh yeah I'm advocating this for C- btw if it wasn't obvious.

I think Salamence is actually immensely terrible for the "niche" that has been established for awhile with Dragon Dance / Scarf or w/e the hell people hyped about, buuuut, Bluwing said Defog set is solid enough for a raise. DaAwesomeDude1 (one of the mods in CT on PS) spent his days last year trolling the ladder with Defog Wish Mence which I find unbelievable and utterly brain numbing to think nonsense like this actually works. Tokyo tom wrote an analysis and literally saved the analysis with the set so I'm all ears as to why it should move up. If you haven't used the set please don't speak on it thanks.

Can't really speak on anything else for now.

bludz

I haven't really used Mega Blastoise much so this is not from experience but rather in theory I really like the idea of using an all out attacker since the extra coverage is pretty sweet. Even the Rapid Spin set seems a step above C rank to me.

Rotom-H I already made a post before on why it should move back into the C ranks. C- is fine for now maybe it would eventually go into C but no higher. Basically it isn't totally outclassed by Rotom-W and has a nice niche in checking stuff like Mega Altaria, Charizard Y and electric types better.

Cofagrigus I agree should move up as well I mean bulky ghosts are so rare these days and its ability is actually kinda neat for screwing over stuff like Mega Lopunny etc. Generally not a great mon but access to Tspikes and Hex and whatnot makes it decent enough to move up I think.

Doublade I think should remain ranked just for the fact that once again bulky ghosts are hard to come by and it actually walls a surprising number of things that can be hard to do so with such as Mega Heracross and Mega Metagross. I know that user: ABR has used it with some success.

Reactions: AM
I think Mega Blastoise is a hidden gem no one thinks about because of all the bigger better megas. I used a team with it late X/Y and i loved it. I don't think opportunity cost applies here because i don't find anything does its job better. I ran a set of Scald/Aura Sphere/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam. Rapid Spin is a viable option over Ice Beam, but its not my style, i don't like the idea of having to use my mega for hazard support, mostly because this guy gets worn down so fast with no recovery. But Its niche i find is it beats every Hazard setter/Spin blocker 1v1. It even Beats Bisharp 1v1

Sorry i don't know how to make folders so ill just post a few calcs:

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 226-266 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(only wins if Power whip is run, and has to hit on the switch
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 210-248 (60.6 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 214-254 (55.5 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (does the same damage as scald)

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 117-138 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (don't think i need to calc aura sphere lol)

this thing is so hard to switch into, the all out attacking sets are only walled by azumarill, and its not too hard to pack a switch in for that. But being mono water type means that it only has 2 weaknesses, and ice beam can be enough to deter grass switch ins that aren't named Venusaur. 79/120/115 Bulk coupled with good defensive typing is just icing on the cake. I just find this guys job can't be done by any other OU viable mon because Base 135 SpA + Mega Launcher + Strong coverage moves to abuse it just isn't done by anything in OU besides the almighty clawitzer.

Now i won't sit here and say that it doesn't have its problems. For one, no recovery sucks, whichs makes you have to play carefully about switching in and tanking attacks. Plus the pokemon that can switch into him, Azumarill and venusaur, kinda force you to run a switch in to not be in a bad position, but i think all the positives MegaToise has going for it, it could go to C+, but anything more is just stretching it.

Set:
Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Evs : 168 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
-Scald
-Dark Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam

(didn't have a bench mark for speed, so i just outsped Standard SpD Tran)

P.S: sorry if it looks messy.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I think Mega Blastoise is a hidden gem no one thinks about because of all the bigger better megas. I used a team with it late X/Y and i loved it. I don't think opportunity cost applies here because i don't find anything does its job better. I ran a set of Scald/Aura Sphere/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam. Rapid Spin is a viable option over Ice Beam, but its not my style, i don't like the idea of having to use my mega for hazard support, mostly because this guy gets worn down so fast with no recovery. But Its niche i find is it beats every Hazard setter/Spin blocker 1v1. It even Beats Bisharp 1v1

Sorry i don't know how to make folders so ill just post a few calcs:

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 226-266 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(only wins if Power whip is run, and has to hit on the switch
0 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 210-248 (60.6 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 214-254 (55.5 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (does the same damage as scald)

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 117-138 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (don't think i need to calc aura sphere lol)

this thing is so hard to switch into, the all out attacking sets are only walled by azumarill, and its not too hard to pack a switch in for that. But being mono water type means that it only has 2 weaknesses, and ice beam can be enough to deter grass switch ins that aren't named Venusaur. 79/120/115 Bulk coupled with good defensive typing is just icing on the cake. I just find this guys job can't be done by any other OU viable mon because Base 135 SpA + Mega Launcher + Strong coverage moves to abuse it just isn't done by anything in OU besides the almighty clawitzer.

Now i won't sit here and say that it doesn't have its problems. For one, no recovery sucks, whichs makes you have to play carefully about switching in and tanking attacks. Plus the pokemon that can switch into him, Azumarill and venusaur, kinda force you to run a switch in to not be in a bad position, but i think all the positives MegaToise has going for it, it could go to C+, but anything more is just stretching it.

Set:
Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Evs : 168 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
-Scald
-Dark Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam

(didn't have a bench mark for speed, so i just outsped Standard SpD Tran)

P.S: sorry if it looks messy.
Yeah you definitely want to use Hydro Pump on M-Blastoise if we're just talking about a 4 attack set. It has a ton of power behind and is honestly just way more worth it to break stuff like fat steels. Just from a viability standpoint in terms of its offensive presence I'm speaking on Hydro Pump. I think using anything else on its 4 attack set is just hindering it a lot. Scald is more suited to spinner variants but even then sort of depends on team I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)