Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What happens if this is tried?
If you're using a cartridge, then very little. For the same reason that you're able to move your cartridge to a second console and then play the same file there, the save file is stored on the cartridge (with a few additional bits and pieces stored to the SD card); so AFAIK very little will happen (could corrupt the save game, but I doubt it).

If you're using the downloaded version, the save (I believe, don't quote me on this) is indeed stored to the SD card, however the 3DS signs the save with a unique number which is also stored on the console; if these numbers do not match when you try to reload the save, then the console will read it as corrupted data and fail to load.
Say the cartridge and console both store the number 1 for the save. You backup this save (with 1 stored), and play your game some more. The console then advances this number to 2. You then try to reload your previous save (with 1); the console notices that the numbers do not match and displays an error message.

Edit @below
Don't wish to beat this point to death, so it's coming as a never to be seen edit: but just "guessing the numbers" wouldn't work I'm afraid. There are billions of possible numbers, and then the game also encrypts the save and adds a checksum to it. All in all, guesswork is so unlikely to work, if you got it to then you really should have spent your time entering the lottery instead.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Say the cartridge and console both store the number 1 for the save. You backup this save (with 1 stored), and play your game some more. The console then advances this number to 2. You then try to reload your previous save (with 1); the console notices that the numbers do not match and displays an error message.
Thanks for the answer to my question and explanation. (Although I am disappointed in the lack of glitched number 666 save)
If this is correct, then to make it work, you have to have hack the save file to the number matches the one on the 3DS. So in other words, if you want a back up save, it's a choice between a stupidly hard game of "Match the Numbers!" or using a cheating devise. I'd rather not touch a cheating devise, (or get banned for talking about them) and I'm not very good at "Match the Numbers!" so I'll just give up on back up saves.

If you're using a cartridge, then very little. For the same reason that you're able to move your cartridge to a second console and then play the same file there, the save file is stored on the cartridge (with a few additional bits and pieces stored to the SD card); so AFAIK very little will happen (could corrupt the save game, but I doubt it).

If you're using the downloaded version, the save (I believe, don't quote me on this) is indeed stored to the SD card, however the 3DS signs the save with a unique number which is also stored on the console; if these numbers do not match when you try to reload the save, then the console will read it as corrupted data and fail to load.

Edit @below
Don't wish to beat this point to death, so it's coming as a never to be seen edit: but just "guessing the numbers" wouldn't work I'm afraid. There are billions of possible numbers, and then the game also encrypts the save and adds a checksum to it. All in all, guesswork is so unlikely to work, if you got it to then you really should have spent your time entering the lottery instead.
What would happen if I copied the files so the SD has two copies of the game on it at once?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What would happen if I copied the files so the SD has two copies of the game on it at once?
Nothing different to keeping one?

The game's looking in a very specific folder for a very specific filename. Since you won't be able to put two files in the same folder with the same name, you'd just be wasting space on the SD card.

Nothing different to keeping one?

The game's looking in a very specific folder for a very specific filename. Since you won't be able to put two files in the same folder with the same name, you'd just be wasting space on the SD card.
I meant, what would happen if you put the copy under a different file name?

Okay, I have a question. Getting tired of snarky replies. I'm sorry I'm new.

How to teach Shedinja Baton Pass in Generation 6? The analysis says Shedinja can learn it, but Bulbapedia says otherwise.

I've Googled it, nothing comes up. I'm not stupid, I play this game a lot, and I wouldn't be wasting my time asking if I hadn't exhausted every other option.

Is this how you guys treat all new members? Sorry, I'm annoyed right now.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I have a question. Getting tired of snarky replies. I'm sorry I'm new.

How to teach Shedinja Baton Pass in Generation 6? The analysis says Shedinja can learn it, but Bulbapedia says otherwise.

I've Googled it, nothing comes up. I'm not stupid, I play this game a lot, and I wouldn't be wasting my time asking if I hadn't exhausted every other option.

Is this how you guys treat all new members? Sorry, I'm annoyed right now.
Hello,

As i know, Shedinja and Ninjask can only learn baton pass in gen 3 and 4 when you evolve your Nincada in lvl 45.

I don't know if there's another way tho

Hey guys, i'm currently hunting shinies with the DexNav and thinking about getting into Masuda Method. I know how it works and all that, but i really want to know what is the most effective way to do it: To keep getting eggs and hatching them at the same time, or to get eggs and deposit them into the PC, and hatching them only after stacking a bunch of eggs. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys, i'm currently hunting shinies with the DexNav and thinking about getting into Masuda Method. I know how it works and all that, but i really want to know what is the most effective way to do it: To keep getting eggs and hatching them at the same time, or to get eggs and deposit them into the PC, and hatching them only after stacking a bunch of eggs. Thanks in advance.
I would usually go for the hatching all at once, but if you just want to spend a whole day hatching, you should probably store them in the PC until you get as many eggs a you want. Honestly, I wanted to make an egg pun man...

Complete the national Pokedex (minus Mythical Pokemon but including Deoxys) to get the Shiny Charm first. Then... well, I'm not sure what you mean by keep getting eggs and hatching them at the same time. It's probably easiest to deposit eggs as you receive them until you have 4 - 5 and carry a Pokemon with Flame Body to help speed things up. You'll also want to complete the Mauville Pokemon Center man thing and get Hatching Power to further speed things along. (preferably passing it out to passersby online to quickly get it to level 3)

Alternatively, if the shiny Pokemon don't necessarily have to have your trainer name and ID number on them, you could look into ESV/TSV hatching.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
+1 for hatching all at once. If you breed a few boxes worth of eggs you risk having the shiny in the first few batches, which means you'll just have a whole lot of eggs you don't want anymore, lol. If you're hatching as you breed then you can stop as soon as you get one. Also, you allow for your O-power to recharge if you're hatching as you go, it runs out way too fast if you hatch them all at once

Just how rare are National Dex Pokemon? Beat the Elite 4 and all but I can't seem to spot any...(I do have the Dex. Been running around Route 101.)

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just how rare are National Dex Pokemon? Beat the Elite 4 and all but I can't seem to spot any...(I do have the Dex. Been running around Route 101.)
Hello MissGreen,

You should search on wikis the localisation of a specific pokemon that you are looking for.

I can say for example that in the Safari Zone of ORAS you can find a lot of pokemon that are exclusively as hidden which can mega evolve like Buneary, Kakuna, Pidgeotto and more.

The rate isn't low, you are maybe not looking them as hidden, in route 101 as hidden pokemon you can find Lillipup, Sewaddle and Zoru for example.

Last edited:
In ORAS, what happens when you reach 999:99 hours of gameplay? Will it just stay at that mark and not go past it?

Reisen

In ORAS, what happens when you reach 999:99 hours of gameplay? Will it just stay at that mark and not go past it?
Hello Fluke,

It will stay at this mark, 999:59 is the max amount of hour in pokemon games.

Hello Fluke,

It will stay at this mark, 999:59 is the max amount of hour in pokemon games.
I'm dumb, 999:59 of course.
Anyhow, damn it! That sucks... Back when I played Pokémon Gold I remember it being stuck at 999:59. I thought they'd have it fixed by now.. Guess not.

Thanks for clarifying :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't just run around aimlessly as they don't appear in grass normally. You need to use the DexNav to make them appear, so run around outside the grass (or with an active Repel) and wait for the Pokemon you want to show up on the bottom screen, then sneak up on it like you would with any other DexNav mon. It will only show a silhouette if you haven't seen them at all yet so you'll have to rely on your 'Who's That Pokemon?' skills, or you can recognise them by their cry when it plays.

Don't just run around aimlessly as they don't appear in grass normally. You need to use the DexNav to make them appear, so run around outside the grass (or with an active Repel) and wait for the Pokemon you want to show up on the bottom screen, then sneak up on it like you would with any other DexNav mon. It will only show a silhouette if you haven't seen them at all yet so you'll have to rely on your 'Who's That Pokemon?' skills, or you can recognise them by their cry when it plays.
Uh, it does that whether you've seen any Pokemon you're trying to sneak up on or not. (provided you get close enough. This also marks the point where if you move too fast it'll flee)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Uh, it does that whether you've seen any Pokemon you're trying to sneak up on or not. (provided you get close enough. This also marks the point where if you move too fast it'll flee)
Sorry, I should have said it shows just a silhouette if you haven't caught the Pokemon yet, rather than just haven't seen it. Assuming that's what you're referring to. I'm used to having everything registered so I get shown the actual Pokemon..

Sorry, I should have said it shows just a silhouette if you haven't caught the Pokemon yet, rather than just haven't seen it. Assuming that's what you're referring to. I'm used to having everything registered so I get shown the actual Pokemon..
I was thinking you were talking about the silhouette of the Pokemon that appears on the DexNav screen when you get close enough, rather than the Pokemon's icon after having at least seen it. (which yes, it's just a silhouette until you've acquired its Pokedex entry)

How can the Smogon Dex suggest a Sheer Force Tauros set with the move Double-Edge in it? I thought Sheer Force got introduced in generation IV, while Double-Edge is a move that can only be tutored in generation III.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)