NU Armaldo [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

tehy

Banned deucer.
get chekt

read parantheses stuff obv
Overview
########

Being As the only Pokemon in NU with access to both Swift Swim and Rapid Spin, Armaldo carves himself has a niche in NU as a decent Swift Swim sweeper who can support his team with hazard removal. Outclassed in a solely spinning role as well as a setup role, Armaldo must be utilized on a rain team in order to avoid being outclassed, where he can use his high speed Speed under rain and strong offensive presence to spin and dish out strong hits. In addition to Rapid Spin, Armaldo's movepool offers unique coverage in (maybe put here STAB ? ) X-Scissor,(ac) which that is valued on rain teams for its ability to take on Grass-types that rain teams have trouble with, such as Lilligant and Ludicolo. Armaldo also has access to Knock Off, allowing him to break through most spinblockers. Unfortunately, Armaldo's semi-unique typing is a burden. He loses 25% when switching into the very hazards he's most commonly supposed to remove (changed to specifically refer to SR), has common weaknesses in Water- and Rock-type, and only (having 2 useless resistances isn't a bad thing; having ONLY two is however) two ,(ac) mostly useless resistances in Normal and Poison. However, Armaldo's Normal resistance does come in use against Normal-types such as Kangaskhan, who Armaldo can tank and spin well against.

Swift Swim Spinner
########
name: Offensive Swift Swim Spinner
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Aqua Tail
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Knock Off / Stone Edge
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Rapid Spin is what makes Armaldo viable.,(period to comma) Use it and should be used to support Armaldo's team with hazard removal. Aqua Tail is actually the strongest move Armaldo can use under rain ( Stone Edge ? maybe just say quite strong under rain) and beats frail the frailer spinblockers in Mismagius and Rotom. When out of rain, X-Scissor is Armaldo's most reliable move, though however Armaldo should generally be kept in the rain. X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that can be troublesome for rain teams. Knock Off is useful as always, removing items and dealing high damage with good coverage. Additionally, (rc) Knock Off can deal while dealing with Gourgeist, who is generally a problem for rain teams. However, Stone Edge is a useful secondary STAB that can be used to hit Mantine, Pelipper, and Vileplume, although it suffers from lower accuracy.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Armaldo to outspeed the likes of Swellow, Adamant Scarf Sawk, and Sneasel when under rain. 252 Attack EVs and a Life Orb are used to maximize damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Although Armaldo is a spinner, avoid mindlessly spamming Rapid Spin. Rain is a limited resource, and a spin should only be executed if desperately needed. Threatening hazards such as Toxic Spikes should be spun away immediately, but consideration is important when deciding to spin away other hazards. For example, if a significant portion of your team is weak to Stealth Rock, it would be important to spin away Stealth Rock. Similarly, deciding whether to spin away Spikes would depend on how many layers of Spikes there are. Otherwise, Armaldo should make use of rain turns to deal as much damage as possible with his high speed Speed and good coverage. Specifically, Armaldo can spin and tank against Kangaskhan and Kecleon, which are both bothersome threats for fellow rain sweepers. Finally, Armaldo's strong Bug STAB in X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that are also troublesome for rain teams.

Team Options
========

Being only viable in rain teams, Armaldo needs team members that make a rain team. Rain Dance users such as Uxie and other Swift Swim sweepers such as Seismitoad and Ludicolo are examples of rain team members. Additionally, Ludicolo and Seismitoad as well as Poliwrath all cover Armaldo's weaknesses well, and can fit onto rain teams. Finally, Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Sneasel or Pokemon holding a Focus Sash such as Jynx also appreciate Armaldo's ability to spin.

Other Options
########

Although Armaldo has a surprisingly wide and appealing movepool that can fill many roles, Armaldo is outclassed in all of these roles, mainly due to his horrid typing. A more tanking oriented spinning set can be used, but Armaldo's weakness to Stealth Rock and mostly useless resistances make it pitiful, and both Sandslash and Claydol outclass Armaldo in this role. A Rock Polish set can be used, but Armaldo's typing leaves few chances to set (add space )up, and Crustle outclasses Armaldo in this role. Stealth Rock is an interesting option for Armaldo, but Armaldo should be firing off powerful moves instead of setting up Stealth Rock, and Armaldo finds few free turns to use Stealth Rock. Choice Band is another option that Armaldo can make use of with his high power, however but Armaldo's typing and weakness to Stealth Rock let him down once again. Finally, a Swords Dance set combined with Swift Swim can be used quite decently. However, Armaldo has issues finding turns to set(add space) up, and Beartic can perform this role somewhat better.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: Being weak to the hazards he's supposed to clear,(rc) Armaldo's defensive capabilities are severely hampered by losing 25% of his health when switching in on Stealth Rock,(ac) the primary entry hazard he is supposed to clear.

**Super Effective Attacks**: While Armaldo's physical bulk is decent, he is unable to make full use of it due to his exploitable weaknesses. Common physical threats such as Archeops can hit easily KO Armaldo with STAB super effective attacks,(rc) easily KOing Armaldo.

**Special Attacks**: With mostly useless resistances and mediocre Special Defense, Armaldo is easily KOed by special attacks, including Fire-type attacks out of rain,(rc) and Psychic-type attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: When not under Rain, Armaldo is quite slow, resulting in many Pokemon such as Archeops and Samurott outspeeding and KOing him before he can do anything.

**Fighting-types**: Resisting both of Armaldo's STABs as well as Knock Off, Fighting-types such as Hariyama only fear Aqua Tail, which becomes quite weak when not under rain.

Thanks for the check, but I don't think this sentence makes sense?
Aqua Tail is actually the strongest move Armaldo can use under rain and beats frail spinblockers Mismagius and Rotom.
I'm not sure actually, I think it works but it sounds a bit awkward to me.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WhinoTheRhino

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Being the only Pokemon in NU with access to both Swift Swim and Rapid Spin, Armaldo carves himself just make sure the use of 'him' instead of 'it' and 'which' and 'that' are consistent. a niche in NU as a decent Swift Swim sweeper who can support his team with entry hazard removal. Outclassed in a solely spinning role as well as a setup role, Armaldo must be utilized on a rain team in order to avoid being outclassed, where he can use his high Speed under rain and strong offensive presence to spin and dish out strong hits. In addition to Rapid Spin, Armaldo's movepool offers unique coverage in X-Scissor that is valued on rain teams for its ability to take on Grass-types that rain teams have trouble with, such as Lilligant and Ludicolo. Armaldo also has access to Knock Off, allowing him to break through most spinblockers. Unfortunately, Armaldo's semi-unique typing is a burden. He loses 25% when switching into the very hazards he's supposed to remove, has common weaknesses in Water- and Rock-type, and two mostly useless resistances in Normal and Poison. However, Armaldo's Normal resistance does come in use against Normal-types such as Kangaskhan, who if Kangaskhan is referred to as 'it', this should be 'which'. Otherwise, you're fine Armaldo can tank and spin well against.

Offensive Swift Swim Spinner
########

Moves
========

Rapid Spin is what makes Armaldo viable. Use it to support Armaldo's team with entry hazard removal. Aqua Tail is actually the strongest move Armaldo can use under rain, and beats the frailer spinblockers in Mismagius and Rotom. When out of rain, X-Scissor is Armaldo's most reliable move, however Armaldo should generally be kept in the rain. X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that can be troublesome for rain teams. Knock Off is useful as always, removing items and dealing high damage with good coverage. Additionally, Knock Off can deal with Gourgeist, who is generally a problem for rain teams. However, Stone Edge is a useful secondary STAB move that can be used to hit Mantine, Pelipper, and Vileplume, although it suffers from lower accuracy.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Armaldo to outspeed the likes of Swellow, Adamant Choice Scarf Sawk, and Sneasel when under rain. 252 Attack EVs and a Life Orb are used to maximize damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Although Armaldo is a spinner, avoid mindlessly spamming Rapid Spin. Rain is a limited resource, and a spin should only be executed if desperately needed. Threatening entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes should be spun away immediately, but consideration is important when deciding to spin away other hazards. For example, if a significant portion of your team is weak to Stealth Rock, it would be important to spin away Stealth Rock. Similarly, deciding whether to spin away Spikes would depend on how many layers of Spikes there are. Otherwise, Armaldo should make use of rain turns to deal as much damage as possible with his high Speed and good coverage. Specifically, Armaldo can spin and tank against Kangaskhan and Kecleon, which are both bothersome threats for fellow rain sweepers. Finally, Armaldo's strong Bug STAB move in X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that are also troublesome for rain teams.

Team Options
========

Being only viable in rain teams, Armaldo needs team members that make a rain team. Rain Dance users such as Uxie and other Swift Swim sweepers such as Seismitoad and Ludicolo are some examples of rain team members. Additionally, Ludicolo and Seismitoad as well as Poliwrath all cover Armaldo's weaknesses well, and can fit onto rain teams. Finally, Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Sneasel or Pokemon holding a Focus Sash such as Jynx also appreciate Armaldo's ability to spin.

Other Options
########

Although Armaldo has a surprisingly wide and appealing movepool that can fill many roles, Armaldo is outclassed in all of these roles, mainly due to his horrid typing. A more tanking-oriented spinning set can be used, but Armaldo's weakness to Stealth Rock and mostly useless resistances make it pitiful, and both Sandslash and Claydol outclass Armaldo in this role. A Rock Polish set can be used, but Armaldo's typing leaves few chances to set up, and Crustle outclasses Armaldo in this role. Stealth Rock is an interesting option for Armaldo, but Armaldo should be firing off powerful moves instead of setting up Stealth Rock, and Armaldo finds few free turns to use Stealth Rock. Choice Band is another option that Armaldo can make use of with his high power, however Armaldo's typing and weakness to Stealth Rock let him down once again. Finally, a Swords Dance set combined with Swift Swim can be used quite decently. However, Armaldo has issues finding turns to set up, and Beartic can perform this role somewhat better.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: Being weak to the entry hazards he's supposed to clear, Armaldo's defensive capabilities are severely hampered by losing 25% of his health when switching in on Stealth Rock.

**Super Effective Attacks**: While Armaldo's physical bulk is decent, he is unable to make full use of it due to his exploitable weaknesses. Common physical threats such as Archeops can hit Armaldo with STAB super effective attacks, easily KOing Armaldo.

**Special Attacks**: With mostly useless resistances and mediocre Special Defense, Armaldo is easily KOed by special attacks, including Fire-type attacks out of rain, (RC) and Psychic-type attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: When not under rain, Armaldo is quite slow, resulting in many Pokemon such as Archeops and Samurott outspeeding and KOing him before he can do anything.

**Fighting-types**: Resisting both of Armaldo's STAB types as well as Knock Off, Fighting-types such as Hariyama only fear Aqua Tail, which becomes quite weak when not under rain.

1/2

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC Reject 1/3

Kabutops outclasses this thing in every single way. Armaldo is completely unviable now. You did a solid job for your first analysis, hope this doesnt discourage you from writing more.

Yeah, that's fine with me.

Last edited:
I signed up for this shit August 18th. Everytime I finished the damn skeleton Kabutops changes tiers (it happened twice). I finally get one GP check, almost 9 months after I innocently signed up for this low tier piece of crap and now it's getting rejected. Well fuck.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mmmm yeah, that's what happens when you opt to write for a Poke completely outclassed by a mon with volatile success in higher tiers.

What I can suggest for now is to just c/p all of this and save it somewhere and see if Tops shows signs of staying in higher tiers, though I am not liking the odds. If Tops looks like it stays NU for good then you can just drop this to the depths of hell.

For now....QC Reject 2/3 ;_;

Edit: Alright fine, we can get this show on the road.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
i personally dont really understand why we would even THINK of scrapping an entire fucking analysis that someone has worked on for almost 10 months just cause of another pokemon.
like, i could understand if this was at qc 1/3 or something - yes, we would have no reason to waste time and resources with it. but this fucking thing is at 3/3 1/2. you can't just let it sit, get one more check, and post it on site? is it some cardinal sin that armaldo gets an nu analysis just because kabu outclasses it?
i personally would, and never have used armaldo - I think it's terrible even without kabu in nu. But for someone casually browsing the dex and wanting to know what this thing can accomplish, it makes more sense to upload what we already have done than to scrap it entirely and leave the dex blank.

there's my qc input for the week.

Last edited:
ya im going to agree with this. A lot of work has gone into this, and at least temporarily, we will put it on site. When PU gets an armaldo analysis up, i might remove it, i might not. But lets not scrap something this late in the process that we've worked hard on

Damn, thanks man. I hope Armaldo doesn't get rejected, despite how useless it is.
let GPers make the 2nd check for now, if someone above me overrules my decision, I'll talk to them. However, make sure you add that it is almost entirely outclassed by Kabutops to this analysis. The 2 things that I think Armaldo is better at are its matchups vs Psychic-types, due to STAB x-scissor, and its matchup vs normal-types, due to not being weak to fighting or ground. Be sure to mention to only ever use Armaldo if these things are more important than beating any other pokemon

I added all these things to the overview. I tried to add them without rewriting the whole overview, but I think it still came out okay.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

GP 2/2 \o/
add remove comment

make sure to change all he/him/his to it/its! in general, avoid gender pronouns for Pokemon. i'm a lot stricter than gato lol
Overview
########

There are only two Pokemon in NU with access to both Swift Swim and Rapid Spin. Armaldo is one of them, but he it is almost completely outclassed by the other, Kabutops. When considering using Armaldo on your team, Kabutops is almost always the better choice. However, Armaldo has two small advantages over Kabutops which must be utilized when using Armaldo. The first advantage is having better matchups with Psychic-types, due to Armaldo's STAB X-Scissor. The second is Armaldo's better matchups with Normal-types, due to not being weak to Fighting or Ground. Armaldo should only be used if these two advantages are valued over performing worse in all other aspects. Despite his its flaws, Armaldo can be a decent Swift Swim sweeper who that can support his its team with entry hazard removal. Outclassed in a solely spinning role as well as a setup role, Armaldo must be utilized on a rain team in order to avoid being outclassed, where he it can use his its high Speed under rain and strong offensive presence to spin and dish out strong hits. In addition to Rapid Spin, Armaldo's movepool offers unique coverage in X-Scissor, which that is valued on rain teams for its ability to take on Grass-types that rain teams have trouble with, such as Lilligant and Ludicolo. Armaldo also has access to Knock Off, allowing him it to break through most spinblockers. Unfortunately, Armaldo's semi-unique typing is a burden. He It loses 25% when switching into the very hazards he's it's supposed to remove, has common weaknesses in Water and Rock, and has two mostly useless resistances in Normal and Poison. However, Armaldo's Normal resistance does come in use against Normal-types such as Kangaskhan, who which Armaldo can tank and spin well against.

Offensive Swift Swim Spinner
########

Moves
========

Rapid Spin is what makes Armaldo viable. Use it to support Armaldo's team with entry hazard removal. Aqua Tail is actually the strongest move Armaldo can use under rain, and it beats the frailer spinblockers Mismagius and Rotom. When out of rain, X-Scissor is Armaldo's most reliable move,; (semicolon) however(comma) Armaldo should generally be kept in the rain. X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that can be troublesome for rain teams. Knock Off is useful as always, removing items and dealing high damage with good coverage. Additionally, Knock Off can deal with Gourgeist, who which is generally a problem for rain teams. However, Stone Edge is a useful secondary STAB move that can be used instead to hit Mantine, Pelipper, and Vileplume super effectively, although it suffers from lower accuracy.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature allow Armaldo to outspeed the likes of Swellow, Adamant Choice Scarf Sawk, and Sneasel when under rain. 252 Attack EVs and a Life Orb are used to maximize damage output.

Usage Tips
========

Although Armaldo is a spinner, avoid mindlessly spamming Rapid Spin. Rain is a limited resource, and a spin should only be executed if desperately needed. Threatening entry hazards such as Toxic Spikes should be spun away immediately, but consideration is important when deciding to spin away other hazards. For example, if a significant portion of your team is weak to Stealth Rock, it would be important to spin away Stealth Rock. Similarly, deciding whether to spin away Spikes would depend on how many layers of Spikes there are. Otherwise, Armaldo should make use of rain turns to deal as much damage as possible with his its high Speed and good coverage. Specifically, Armaldo can spin and tank against Kangaskhan and Kecleon, which are both bothersome threats for fellow rain sweepers. Finally, Armaldo's strong Bug-type STAB move in X-Scissor easily deals with Grass-types that are also troublesome for rain teams.

Team Options
========

Being only viable in rain teams, Armaldo needs team members that make a rain team. Rain Dance users such as Uxie and other Swift Swim sweepers such as Seismitoad and Ludicolo are some examples. Additionally, Ludicolo and Seismitoad as well as Poliwrath all cover Armaldo's weaknesses well, (remove comma) and can fit onto rain teams. Finally, Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Sneasel or and Pokemon holding a Focus Sash such as Jynx also appreciate Armaldo's ability to spin.

Other Options
########

Although Armaldo has a surprisingly wide and appealing movepool that can fill many roles, Armaldo is outclassed in all of these roles, mainly due to his its horrid typing. A more tanking-oriented spinning set can be used, but Armaldo's weakness to Stealth Rock and mostly useless resistances make it pitiful, and both Sandslash and Claydol outclass Armaldo in this role. A Rock Polish set can be used, but Armaldo's typing leaves it few chances to set up, and Crustle outclasses Armaldo in this role. Stealth Rock is an interesting option for Armaldo, but Armaldo should be firing off powerful moves instead of setting up Stealth Rock, and Armaldo finds few free turns to use Stealth Rock. Choice Band is another option that Armaldo can make use of with his its high power, however but Armaldo's typing and weakness to Stealth Rock let him it down once again. Finally, a Swords Dance set combined with Swift Swim can be used quite decently. However, Armaldo has issues finding turns to set up, and Beartic can perform this role somewhat better.

Checks & Counters
########

**Entry Hazards**: Being weak to the entry hazards he's it's supposed to clear, Armaldo's defensive capabilities are severely hampered by losing 25% of his its health when switching in on Stealth Rock.

**Super Effective Attacks**: While Armaldo's physical bulk is decent, he Armaldo is unable to make full use of it due to his its exploitable weaknesses. Common physical threats such as Archeops can hit Armaldo with STAB super effective attacks, easily KOing Armaldo.

**Special Attacks**: With mostly useless resistances and mediocre Special Defense, Armaldo is easily KOed by special attacks, including Fire-type attacks out of rain, (remove comma) and Psychic-type attacks.

**Faster Pokemon**: When not under rain, Armaldo is quite slow, resulting in many Pokemon such as Archeops and Samurott outspeeding and KOing him it before he it can do anything.

**Fighting-types**: Resisting both of Armaldo's STAB types as well as Knock Off, Fighting-types such as Hariyama only fear Aqua Tail, which becomes quite weak when not under rain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the check. And oh, I'm sorry. I thought that gender pronouns were allowed in analyses :(.

Also, in this sentence: "However, Stone Edge is a useful secondary STAB move that can be used instead to hit Mantine, Pelipper, and Vileplume super effectively, although it suffers from lower accuracy."

You added "super effectively", but Stone Edge doesn't hit Vileplume super effectively, so I changed "super effectively" to "for greater damage".

I implemented all other changes. I guess this is ready for upload?? Damn, 9 months of work finally completed!! :)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
..and so ends a historic chapter in NU C&C.

May this fascinating tale of one revived fossil's struggle to stay relevant against another revived fossil be passed down through the generations for all to hear.

but for now, we shall rest

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
really though I'd upload this but a new content management system just went up so it might be a while before anyone figures it out xd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)