SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Its far too late to replace Ash. He's been in far too many episodes for the writers to just cut him off from the anime. Its a huge shame too, because if the writers had decided to cut him from the anime earlier, then I believe its overall quality would have been MUCH higher.

The primary reason many of the anime's shortcomings exist in my opinion is because the writers insist to keep Ash as the main character for as long as the pokemon series goes. This is a large issue because it greatly limits Ash's character and forces him to make a huge number of both questionable and stupid decisions throughout the series for newer viewers. Having a new protagonist would at least make these stupid decision understandable, as well as allow a greater diversity of side characters and antagonist to be added into the series.

The writers even had the absolute perfect opportunity to replace Ash with a new protagonist after "Memories made of Bliss", which would have been the perfect conclusion to his story. But instead they still use him as the main protagonist in Best Wishes and not only reveal the shocking truth that he's still ten years old, but also show us that his Pikachu lost to a low level Snivy despite being able to defeat a Latios only a handful of episodes earlier. Ridiculous.
Actually, Pikachu only lost to the Snivy because it had been overloaded by an electrical attack by Zekrom and was unable to use its electric-type moves.

One other thing that I think that pokemon anime could do is to, for the next series, have Ash become a more experienced trainer who meets up and helps out a younger (yes, Ash should actually age) trainer who is new and as inexperienced as Ash was at first.

Makes me wonder why you would want to use an electric attack on a Snivy anyways?
I think a more important part is that Pikachu was suddenly unable to use its strongest attacks, which would have, at the very least, confused Ash and given Trip and his Snivy a chance to attack. I mean, if you were playing a pokemon game and, all of a sudden, you tried to use a move, only for it to do nothing for no noticeable reason, that would make winning that battle hard, even if you were fighting an AI.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't Pikachu know Iron Tail? I don't give two shits about it not being able to use Electric attacks, its Iron Tail is probably strong enough to OHKO the thing and it's still a stupid asspull.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think trying to find logic in a Best Wishes battle is a mistake.

So Ikue Otani (Pikachu's voice actress) also plays Ash's new rival Shota (or whatever he's going to be called in English). It was pretty funny seeing Pikachu and Shota talking after each other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Its far too late to replace Ash. He's been in far too many episodes for the writers to just cut him off from the anime. Its a huge shame too, because if the writers had decided to cut him from the anime earlier, then I believe its overall quality would have been MUCH higher.

The primary reason many of the anime's shortcomings exist in my opinion is because the writers insist to keep Ash as the main character for as long as the pokemon series goes. This is a large issue because it greatly limits Ash's character and forces him to make a huge number of both questionable and stupid decisions throughout the series for newer viewers. Having a new protagonist would at least make these stupid decision understandable, as well as allow a greater diversity of side characters and antagonist to be added into the series.

The writers even had the absolute perfect opportunity to replace Ash with a new protagonist after "Memories made of Bliss", which would have been the perfect conclusion to his story. But instead they still use him as the main protagonist in Best Wishes and not only reveal the shocking truth that he's still ten years old, but also show us that his Pikachu lost to a low level Snivy despite being able to defeat a Latios only a handful of episodes earlier. Ridiculous.
I think at least a portion of fans would rather have Alain as the main

It is quite possible Ash will be retired someday just that who knows when that is. I actually think that since the anime is nowhere as popular ratings wise as it used to be that its probably easier to replace him now than before. Little kids watching Pokemon today have never seen any of the older seasons, so to them Ash leaving would be the same as when they saw any other character leave. Lower ratings = more incentive to give the anime a revamp.

The show has gone through so many cast changes that at this point they can practically make anyone a main character now and it doesn't matter. Its not like when we were back in 1999 and people thought Ash/Misty/Brock were the only main characters who could exist...which is why Tracey received a lot of unwarrented backlash prompting Brock's return. Nowadays nobody cares about character replacements anymore, which is why you don't see people making a big deal out of characters leaving.

Besides its not like little kids would refuse to watch a show with a new male lead, as said they don't even know 80% of Ash's history anyway. They've probably never seen anything prior to BW...they don't even know who May or Dawn are...let alone the original seasons.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Not going to comment on the whole Ash and the anime's shortcomings debate, but in regards to it, I stumbled across a rather funny video where a certain guy talks about 50 things he finds wrong with the anime. Many of them are popular opinions like Ash being the main character for too long and the dumb actions, then there are also some weird stuff like Dawn being too sexual in appearance for a 10-year old.

Don't have an opinion regarding this matter but this recent video is quite interesting regarding this topic.

Now that I've actually seen Mega Garchomp in action, I can appreciate his design a little more. He still has an uglier face than O-Garchomp IMO, though.

The gym battles these days aren't what they used to be. I don't know what's about it, but a Hoenn gym battle is much more engaging than a Kalos or Unova gym battle. Like I watched the battle against Winona years ago and it still sticks in my mind but I watched the battle against Viola months ago, almost a year I think, and I don't remember anything from that battle. Ash also uses a lot less of the environment in his battle. Hoenn is a prime example of how he used the environment. The "Thunder Armour" against Tate and Liza, Pikachu flipping Milotic into the water so his Thunder attack would be stronger etc.

Its really just nostalgia. Most of us were kids or young teens when the earlier seasons were airing, so as kids stuff that happened back then seemed more impressive than it actually was. Now that we're all adults obviously watching something now for the first time wouldn't be as impressive as when we were 10 years old.

In terms of the actual Gyms I'd say DP had the best battles, then XY, then AG, then BW, then Johto, then Kanto. Kanto is really only last because Ash didn't have many proper wins back then and got a lot of badges handed to him. Johto's Gyms were OK but nothing too special. BW's were a mixed bag.

Indeed XY battles do have a lot of quality and dynamism to them, heck I loved how against Korrina he tried to do one of those obnoxious strategies only to actually start to get his game on after figuring out its better to just use the strategy that their pokemon are actually used to.

Kanto really didn't have a lot of good battles but when I think about good battles, usually those of Kanto come to my mind:
- Charizard vs Magmar
- Pikachu vs Raichu
- Finals of the Orange Island (the first 6 vs 6 battle for Ash)
- Charizard vs Poliwarth
- Pidgeot vs Fearow
- Metapod vs Metapod

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well that's a slap in the face to Braixen right there. Eevee hasn't even appeared yet and it already replaced Braixen as Serena's signature Pokemon. Clemont and Chespin are also a bit odd but they do share a strong bond (and Chespin is a starter so gets some special privilege there. Though still I'd think maybe Luxray would have been a better pick being he's an Electric-type Gym Leader and its an old childhood friend).

EDIT: New Movie Info! Or rather new 3rd XY Movie info! The recent CoroCoro leaks show's an interesting image from the 3rd movie:

Looks like... I don't know. Looks like a mech to be honest, looks like its wearing a crown as well. Or maybe its suppose to look like a castle with those arms being tower-like structures? I don't know, what do you all think?

Last edited:

Karxrida

Dude nobody would have known to check this thread to see your edit, you could have totally double posted because it's been a week.

It's definitely Zygarde; Z is coming soon. I call dibs on the thread DHR-107.

Also is it just me or does that thing have hands?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also is it just me or does that thing have hands?
Yeah, I see claws too. Also thanks to your avatar I finally remember what it reminded me of:

For those who don't know, this was some concept art for the final boss in KH2. Originally Xemnas was going to gather the buildings of TWTNW around him to make a building colossus body.

My first guess would be that it might be some sort of pokemon-created anomaly like Celebi's tree monster shell in the 4th movie.
I thought of that too, but being they're putting emphasis on it by showing it as the first sneak peak of the 3rd movie I'm lead to believe its something significant.

Wait... you don't think... Mega Arceus?

Karxrida

Yeah, I see claws too. Also thanks to your avatar I finally remember what it reminded me of:

For those who don't know, this was some concept art for the final boss in KH2. Originally Xemnas was going to gather the buildings of TWTNW around him to make a building colossus body.

I thought of that too, but being they're putting emphasis on it by showing it as the first sneak peak of the 3rd movie I'm lead to believe its something significant.

Wait... you don't think... Mega Arceus?
Dude, it's probably Zygarde. Mega Arcues isn't going to be the first thing revealed about a new game, it'll be the mascot legend that has two unobtainable moves programmed for it and has a lower BST than its counterparts.

I'm 99 % certain its Zygarde, mainly from looking at the third CoroCoro image. Diamond shaped objects attached to this pokemon are glowing, and when you look at Zygarde you will also find random diamond shaped scales on his body that turn white and glow in the exact same way. No other Pokemon has this feature so it has to be Zygarde.

The shape of the Pokemon was not what I expected. It looks like some sort of Transformer and does not have any features that represent a stag or bird (unless those things on the shoulders are wings) so a fusion seems a bit less likely than before. There is nothing Dragon looking in its appearance so perhaps it has lost its Dragon typing? Its interesting to see that Gamefreak seem to be moving away from the Dragon cover legendaries model and seem to be doing more humanoid creatures (this image and Hoopa-U).

Lastly this Pokemon seems to be wearing a crown with a large glowing diamond in the centre. Maybe that's to indicate how powerful it is and that it has become master of life and death (i.e the X and Y cover legendaries)? Being master over both things again hints that there will be just one sequel to the game and not XZ and YZ.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm 99 % certain its Zygarde, mainly from looking at the third CoroCoro image. Diamond shaped objects attached to this pokemon are glowing, and when you look at Zygarde you will also find random diamond shaped scales on his body that turn white and glow in the exact same way. No other Pokemon has this feature so it has to be Zygarde.

The shape of the Pokemon was not what I expected. It looks like some sort of Transformer and does not have any features that represent a stag or bird (unless those things on the shoulders are wings) so a fusion seems a bit less likely than before. There is nothing Dragon looking in its appearance so perhaps it has lost its Dragon typing? Its interesting to see that Gamefreak seem to be moving away from the Dragon cover legendaries model and seem to be doing more humanoid creatures (this image and Hoopa-U).

Lastly this Pokemon seems to be wearing a crown with a large glowing diamond in the centre. Maybe that's to indicate how powerful it is and that it has become master of life and death (i.e the X and Y cover legendaries)? Being master over both things again hints that there will be just one sequel to the game and not XZ and YZ.
Its humanoid appearance is why originally I disregarded Zygarde even though I know its suppose to be getting something (it has those signature moves which seems to be aimed at effecting Yveltal and Xerneas). However you have the point about the glowing spots and the shoulder spikes/crown spikes to resemble the spikes on the back of Zygarde's head. However a humanoid form wasn't what I was expecting, I was thinking more becoming a creature similar to Yveltal and Xerneas (maybe not exactly a bird and deer, but maybe like a bat/moth and lizard/turtle/quadruped).

In my personal opinion the only thing wrong so far with the xy anime is the introduction of a rival for ash. As of now he has no motivation to become stronger and therefore they have been scripting easy gym battles for him. With diamond and pearl Ash did everything in his power to become better than Paul and that easily reflected on his team by the time they met up in the league. I feel like it's only a matter of time before some obstacle comes in his way and then they script him to resort to a mega evolution to overcome it and have him have Charizard Y at the league to battle with him.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm very skeptical whether the scan is real.
I don't think "new Pokemon" is pronounced as "shin Pokemon" as the scan suggested.
If I remember correctly, it should be pronounced as "atarashii Pokemon".

The "historically big Pokemon battle" is also written in a weird way.

EDIT: Bulbanews tweeted this scan, so I'd assume it's real.
I need to learn more Japanese then.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)