Super Mystery Dungeon (Spoilers abound!)

I think it just limits the partners that you can choose from, similar to previous games. If it chooses both... I will have no choice but to requiz fifty times.

So... new screenshots have been released! Looks like Hoopa will be able to join the team, both in regular form and as Supa Doopa Hoopa Unbound. Also shows the main hub, and many of the legends.

After skipping Gates to Infinity, I will most likely be getting SMD. The dungeons look really nice, and it's good to see that there'll be a variety of mons available to play as. Also, that cave with Raikou, Entei, and Suicune looks really cool (though I'm admittedly biased because they're my favourite trio). It also looks like outer space will play a significant role, continuing on the theme from the Delta Episode. Unfortunately, my knowledge of Japanese is spotty at best, so I'm not able to get much information from the text. (Dialga's dialogue, aka the only one I can read: "Next is... where did [they?] come from...")

There is, however, one thing I will miss from the old games, being the excellent sprite artwork. I suppose it can't be helped, though; they want to take advantage of the 3DS's capabilities.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
With the screenshots we have, we can start compiling the set pairs we're getting based off our starter.
  • Pikachu gets Piplup as a starter. Makes sense because Pikachu can't do much to Grounds, doesn't make sense because neither can Mega Evolve. Sinnoh confirmed.
  • Snivy gets Charmander.
  • Riolu gets Cyndaquil. Pretty sure it isn't the other way around because in Explorers you couldn't have Riolu as a partner, only as a player character. Then again they might have changed it.
  • Chimchar gets Mudkip.
Pikachu and Piplup is currently the only odd one out. This may mean that we won't be able to Mega Evolve ourselves and we'll just have Zard Y dumped on us (it looks like an important NPC based off of the artwork).

EDIT: One of the screenshots I missed is Pikachu with Chespin. The pairs are probably just randomized with type support taken into consideration, and we might only get Zard Y before the credits roll.

Interesting, Zard Y seems to be playing a very prominent role, what with being over the teaser and theme. Might be playing a Hydreigon-esque role or something else entirely. I'm surprised but happy that it is getting some attention.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Considering the publicity its X Mega has been getting, I am absolutely fine with the possibility of getting Zard Y thrown on me since it deserves some long due limelight. I am simply just content he gets to be his own character.

Release date confirmed as "Holiday 2015", which I take to be the winter holidays. The petrification seems to be affecting Legendaries exclusively...

Also, that berry to put the Jynx to sleep has been confirmed as not in fact a berry, but a "Slumber Wand". Hmmm. Equipment confirmed?

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I think it's funny that Wailord appears more than one tile big in the trailer. The 47'07" tall behemoth is finally going to have trouble going through tunnels! (Please don't try to tell me that halls in dungeons are 48 feet tall. I could buy that excuse for a few dungeons, but not all of them.)

I think it's funny that Wailord appears more than one tile big in the trailer. The 47'07" tall behemoth is finally going to have trouble going through tunnels! (Please don't try to tell me that halls in dungeons are 48 feet tall. I could buy that excuse for a few dungeons, but not all of them.)
Although yes, wailord does look ridiculous, I really like how they're making pokemon in their respective accurate sizes. I played pokemon mystery dungeon red rescue team and explorers of time, and one of the main things that annoyed me was how nearly all the pokemon were the same size (larvitar and tyranitar should not be the same size!), but it seems that they have fixed this!

Maybe it'll explain some of the plot holes or mysteries in the other games too. Like what happened to a certain pokemon who's memory you effed up, or (insert plot hole or mystery from GtI). And since your trying to map out the entire PMD world I REALLY hope they include Sky Peak somwhere along the line, that was my favorite mystery dungeon evar.

BUUUUT i guess we wont know until more info is released :/

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
incredibly cheesy title.

hope it doesnt fall flat like gates to infinity, which in itself was a decent game, but nothing compared to the masterpieces that were pmd red/blue and ESPECIALLY pmd sky. dont rly give a shit about graphics and playable characters, i just want a storyline that dazzles me... unfortunately i have a feeling that wont happen again.

Karxrida

It was revealed during the Treehouse Direct that the quiz was mandatory, but if you're unsatisfied with the results you can just choose your Mon after the fact. You also choose between "Cute" and "Cool" for your partner, so there seems to be a degree of control over what you get (and maybe gender?).

incredibly cheesy title.

hope it doesnt fall flat like gates to infinity, which in itself was a decent game, but nothing compared to the masterpieces that were pmd red/blue and ESPECIALLY pmd sky. dont rly give a shit about graphics and playable characters, i just want a storyline that dazzles me... unfortunately i have a feeling that wont happen again.
Given the time between Gates release and this one and the overall negative reaction to Gates (and the fact that they have returned some the aspects that were missing in Gates) I have high hopes for this game. And honestly (and I've said this before), I think Gates had one of the most intensely emotional storylines in the entire series. The ending where you were rising through the sky and returning to the human world was literally the only point of any game ever that made me cry.

While I only skimmed the video, I did notice that they picked up a "tiny reviver seed" - this is suggesting different types (or at least sizes) of reviver seeds, which I'm guessing have different effects (or why bother?). My guess is the smaller ones won't heal you as much upon revival/not fill your belly/not refill pp/something as compared to other types of reviver seeds. While this makes me a little sad, from a gameplay perspective it's probably a good choice. Reviver seeds were always a little on the OP side - a full heal, including PP and belly and status and everything? Really good for one inventory slot. Anyway, that's my thoughts on that. What do you guys think?

SMD looks pretty promising from that video. The only thing I don't really like is how it tells you how to do everything in the dungeon; part of what made the originals fun for me was finding out what stuff does on my own.

While I only skimmed the video, I did notice that they picked up a "tiny reviver seed" - this is suggesting different types (or at least sizes) of reviver seeds, which I'm guessing have different effects (or why bother?). My guess is the smaller ones won't heal you as much upon revival/not fill your belly/not refill pp/something as compared to other types of reviver seeds. While this makes me a little sad, from a gameplay perspective it's probably a good choice. Reviver seeds were always a little on the OP side - a full heal, including PP and belly and status and everything? Really good for one inventory slot. Anyway, that's my thoughts on that. What do you guys think?
I assume the Tiny Reviver Seeds will be akin to the difference between Revives and Max Revives, restoring 1/2 vs all your stats in the main games.

One thing I do wonder about is how the "end post game" difficulty is going to pan out, because while there were some OP items like the Reviver seeds or Huge Apples, they were almost necessary considering how hard some of the dungeons got (fucking Purity Forest pretty much came down to how often you found Reviver Seeds, or if you found something like a Tight Belt.

Karxrida

Serebii updated with new shit. The most interesting new thing is the Magic Lamp item, which summons Hoopa or Hoopa-U who in turn summons more Legendaries for help.

Serebii updated with new shit. The most interesting new thing is the Magic Lamp item, which summons Hoopa or Hoopa-U who in turn summons more Legendaries for help.
I'm really hoping this doesn't mean we won't be able to recruit the legends the old-school way; that was one of the most fun parts of PMD R/B and T/D/S.

Karxrida

You still recruit legends according to Serebii, Hoopa just summons some when you summon it.

EDIT: Nevermind, got it to work.
Serebii said:
A load of new information and screenshots have been released about Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. Information is currently being translated but we have added the new screenshots to our pre-release screenshot gallery which can be found by clicking the link.
Connection Orbs have replaced the previous Discussion Board. As you make friends, you can do requests. This is seen with the web of Pokémon seen during previous trailers. You can even find Legendary Pokémon through this. When you have completed a task for a Pokémon, it opens up paths for more tasks, and more and more and so forth.
You can use the Magic Lamp item to summon Hoopa into a dungeon. It can be either form and can call in various Legendary Pokémon as assistants
07:30: Some character details have been revealed, too. As revealed at the Treehouse Live event at E3, Pancham and Shelmet are bullies at a local Pokémon school, often picking on Goomy. Deerling is popular among the class, but is very blunt. Espurr is an intelligent student at the school. Simipour is the principal of the school in the town and seems to understand the children. Watchog is the vice principal. Audino is the doctor who heals you, is often serious but ends things in a joke and Farfetch'd is a serious teacher.

Last edited:
Hopefully the magic lamp is a rare or rarely used item, it would take away from the game (in my opinion) if legendaries are too easily accessible. I don't think they will make this a problem, but I'm not really a huge fan of this magic lamp so far

Karxrida

Hey I'm Bump

I'm Not So Bump

And we're the Thread Bumps.

Serebii updated with some new shit. There's a shop where Hawlucha teaches you moves (Move Tutors confirmed?) and lets you change your abilties. No idea if the ability changing lets you swap out one ability for your Hidden Ability or you're only allowed to have one this time around, but regardless being able to choose sounds good.

There's some other things but that was the most important part.

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The bump is real.

I wonder if they nerfed some of the broken abilities and moves, or if Drifblim remains the most OP poke in the game. Hopefully with the speed stat coming into play that won't be the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)