NO STATUS

Gg What a Gimmick.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245315896

I didn't put Tyranitar to counter you btw. I put Tyranitar so that I can have the bulkiest Special Tank in the world. MWAHAHA... Turns out to be useless. Well, at least it killed Shedinja.

Seriously though.

160 SpA Tornadus-T Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 140-168 (34.6 - 41.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
A standard OU Offense core of Zard Y / ScarfTar / Excadrill looks extremely effective in this metagame, as while Zard loses Roost, the lack of Stealth Rock makes up for this. It's checks also lose their access to recovery, making it extremely adept at wearing teams down with those ridiculous Fire Blasts.

EV

Banned deucer.
Anti-meta?

Counter

Mirror Coat

Metal Burst

There are a few Sturdy mons that learn Counter like Skarmory, Forretress, and Sawk. RegenVest Alomomola can abuse Mirror Coat multiple times thanks to that passive recovery. Filter Aggron tanks just about any attack and retaliates with Metal Burst. And there's always Wobbuffet!

So sad when I realized "No Status" didn't mean "no Burn/Toxic/Confusion/Attraction/etc". :(

I don't think Stall is dead. Limited, since you basically have to rely on Regenerator cores, but not dead. Some of the effective holes in Stall are addressed by roughly equivalent holes in offense -Unaware is a lot less important when 99% of all setup moves are unavailable, so the fact that your Unaware choices aren't really usable isn't a big deal. (I do have to wonder if Water Absorb Quagsire might prove to be a thing)

Water immunity seems weirdly nice just for the Scald-blocking. In general Abilities that potentially provide healing are highly relevant.

Weather also seems more influential here, oddly enough.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Ghoul King that was a meta but it died out.

One point to note is that weather is more significant than ever not just due to reasons like hazards and recovery (Zard y oml), but also because the meta leans more towards offense, and many of the stally mons used around one move for coverage. But like Eevee said, Counter is useful for said walls, including the blobs and Wobbuffet.

Some mons are partially affected. Rotom-W loses WoW, but still has scald and now frees up a moveslot to add to its usual volt switching shenanigans.

Ghoul King that was a meta but it died out.

One point to note is that weather is more significant than ever not just due to reasons like hazards and recovery (Zard y oml), but also because the meta leans more towards offense, and many of the stally mons used around one move for coverage. But like Eevee said, Counter is useful for said walls, including the blobs and Wobbuffet.

Some mons are partially affected. Rotom-W loses WoW, but still has scald and now frees up a moveslot to add to its usual volt switching shenanigans.
This isn't STABmons. Rotom-Wash doesn't get Scald, it gets Hydro Pump.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Oh nevermind, I mixed it up with Lanturn of all things lmao. Been playing too much NU...

I still don't think it's nerfed too much though. Maybe overshadowed.

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think I like this OM and I've been playing with Volt-Turn cores which seems really interesting and a Wobbuffet which can take with it one or two Pokemon.

I think we should keep an eye on Wobbuffet. In standard, you can play around it with Substitutes or status moves or status itself, boost past it, or play mind games with mixed sets to get free damage in. What are you supposed to do now, just run mixed on everything? What can even OHKO it, short of like, Defiant Bisharp (Koff+Iron Head+Sucker Punch+Pursuit looks astoundingly good in this meta, doubly so considering it's one of the few boosters left, even if it only really triggers off Moonblast and Intimidate)? It loses Encore, but this is a moot point if you're not mixed.

I suppose like, Volt-Turn into special Dark-types or physical Ghost-types (Seriously, with no KS or boosting, Aegislash seems a lot less busted and uncompetitive here, unban mayhaps?) could prove to be necessary for offensive teams to reliably handle it, which is overly specific imo.

Also, Metal Burst seems deadly af in theory, but the only things that seem good with it and not immanently switched into and OHKOed are like, Bisharp and Mega Aggron. So it's probably fine.

Edit: How about Blaziken? It lacks Protect to get free boosts, Baton Pass to pass the speed, and Swords Dance to break thick walls. Could be fun here.

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I've only played one game, but I get the impression Wobbuffet could get extremely annoying. Also, I think something can be said for Swift Swim as with no walls to worry about and no dragon dance or other speed boosting, you can pretty much guarantee you'll be going first and OHKOing or 2HKOing things. It also boosts scald even further, if that helps at all.

Finally, I think Amoonguss looks good this meta, being able to stop Serperior with Clear Smog, and otherwise work well as a RegenVest mon, its typing allowing it to soak up scalds reasonably well.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245377981

Reactions: DEG

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
My first decision in NO STATUS is to unban Deoxys-Defense. It was banned primarily for its ability to set hazards. It can't do that here.
I feel like it's worth investigating what exactly Deo-D can even do since it's not doing much to begin with. It's best way of attacking almost seems to just spam Night Shade or Seismic Toss since its offenses are just so pitiful. It does get Knock Off, so that's worth considering here. The problem here is that there's really no way to apply pressure with this outside of running Seismic/NightShade, Ice Beam and Knock Off. but even then it's not doing much with base 70 offenses. Seems like a pretty pitiful mon to me.

EV

Banned deucer.
I think we should keep an eye on Wobbuffet. In standard, you can play around it with Substitutes or status moves or status itself, boost past it, or play mind games with mixed sets to get free damage in. What are you supposed to do now, just run mixed on everything? What can even OHKO it, short of like, Defiant Bisharp (Koff+Iron Head+Sucker Punch+Pursuit looks astoundingly good in this meta, doubly so considering it's one of the few boosters left, even if it only really triggers off Moonblast and Intimidate)? It loses Encore, but this is a moot point if you're not mixed.

I suppose like, Volt-Turn into special Dark-types or physical Ghost-types (Seriously, with no KS or boosting, Aegislash seems a lot less busted and uncompetitive here, unban mayhaps?) could prove to be necessary for offensive teams to reliably handle it, which is overly specific imo.
Yeah like you said, special Darks or Physical Ghosts can attack it for days. Or a special attacker with Foul Play? A status attack like Poison Fang will get it sooner or later and the return damage from Counter wouldn't be much, but you still have to predict around its Counters/Mirror Coats until the Toxic does it in.

This is probably a stupid way to beat it, but does Lagging Tail guarantee you move even after the -5 priority on Counter/Mirror Coat?

Yeah like you said, special Darks or Physical Ghosts can attack it for days. Or a special attacker with Foul Play? A status attack like Poison Fang will get it sooner or later and the return damage from Counter wouldn't be much, but you still have to predict around its Counters/Mirror Coats until the Toxic does it in.

This is probably a stupid way to beat it, but does Lagging Tail guarantee you move even after the -5 priority on Counter/Mirror Coat?
Nope. It just makes you move last in the priority bracket. So that won't work.

that sorta feels like tip toeing around the problem. Not everything has momentum.

And no, lagging tail gives you -1 priority I think, mirror coat/counter is -5

And no, lagging tail gives you -1 priority I think, mirror coat/counter is -5
Lagging Tail does not lower priority; it makes you move last in your priority bracket.

For all intents and purposes, you could say it gives you -0.5 priority, or pretends your speed is 0 when checking turn order.

Wobbuffet seems like our first contender for a suspect, or perhaps Counter and Mirror Coat. Wobbuffet's enemy has always been status, after all. Wobbuffet has an easy time switching in and handpicking victims with Counter or Mirror Coat. But that's all just speculation for now.

I have been trying to use a semi-stall esque team with difficulty in countering the omnipresent Mega Charizard-Y. So far, I have found that Assault Vest Arcanine and Entei can sort of check it with mild efficiency, but Mega Charizard-Y should probably be using Earthquake to beat these potential checks. Regenerator cores perform well, of course, and are very good at consistently providing opportunities for other members to dispatch opposers. Scald is also very threatening, solidifying Regenerator Pokemon's important role in this metagame.

Yeah I agree with that, while Counter and Mirror Coat is already annoying, the ability to trap a Pokemon your team doesn't like and at the least weaken it enough for another Pokemon to handle seems just dumb to me. Plus with Wobbuffet's huge HP stat, it has the ability to take at least one neutral hit and retaliate back with the approriate move.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
My first decision in NO STATUS is to unban Deoxys-Defense. It was banned primarily for its ability to set hazards. It can't do that here.
This is probably still a little early in the meta, but speaking of unbans should Darkrai also be unbanned? It now lacks Dark Void, making it simply a fast and powerful special attacker much like Alakazam.
Aegislash is potentially another option due to now lacking King's Shield, alongside moves such as SD or sub/tox.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
This is probably still a little early in the meta, but speaking of unbans should Darkrai also be unbanned? It now lacks Dark Void, making it simply a fast and powerful special attacker much like Alakazam.
Aegislash is potentially another option due to now lacking King's Shield, alongside moves such as SD or sub/tox.
The only issue I see with unbanning Aegislash is that it's still a decent threat outside of King Shield. Until it actually attacks, it's got 150/150 defenses and then after it starts attacking it get 150/150 offenses. Obviously it becomes super frail in Blade Forme, but at the same time it still poses a decent threat in terms of damage, especially if it starts outspeeding things.

Darkrai I have no issues with though since that thing sucks outside of Dark Void.

The only issue I see with unbanning Aegislash is that it's still a decent threat outside of King Shield. Until it actually attacks, it's got 150/150 defenses and then after it starts attacking it get 150/150 offenses. Obviously it becomes super frail in Blade Forme, but at the same time it still poses a decent threat in terms of damage, especially if it starts outspeeding things.

Darkrai I have no issues with though since that thing sucks outside of Dark Void.
The thing with Aegislash also is that especially now it's easy to wear away. Unless you're saving it for some weird sort of scarfed revenge killer of the ilk or are bringing it in via a very slow U-Turn or Volt Switch, it WILL be taking hits in Shield form without attacking back. Otherwise, it'll be sitting in blade mode and be easy to take down. It's also really only got two sets now: Physical or Mixed (It's special movepool is just Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon, and Hidden Power and Shock Wave but who would want to use that?). Sure it's got great physical coverage but nothing much else.

Hey, even in shield form it has a 75% shot of being OHKO'd by Mega Lopunny while only having a 6% to OHKO it back. Looks like we have a much better idea of a counter for it now that King's Shield is gone.

---

In fact, let's go through the banlist and see who we could unban.

Arceus - No
Blaziken (Mega and Non) - I can dig testing it out. It lacks Protect so it can't easily get a free speed boost and it's other stats are just ok for the job. Also, it lacks Baton Pass too.
Deoxys - Well Defense form is already unbanned. The only other potentially non-broken form is Speed but I wouldn't unban it since it is an amazing revenge killer there
Dialga - No
Genesect - It was never known for its status moves so no
Mega Gengar - Some of its worst sets are gone but it still has Shadow Tag, so it can easily choose its own opponents, so I say no
Giratina - Maybe, but I wouldn't recommend trying it since it still has great stats and a great movepool. I would lean towards not unbanning either form
Greninja - Oh no! This thing can't use Spikes or Toxic Spikes. What do you say? It still has Protean and amazing coverage that got it banned in the first place? Nope
Groudon - No
Ho-oh - It just got ridiculously more powerful now without Stealth Rock and having one source of reliable healing left so no
Mega Kangaskhan - None of its sets are really phased much by this Meta, so I say no
Kyogre - No
White Kyurem - No
Landorus - No
Lugia - Interesting Option. It has less offensive pressure than Giratina even but it is extremely bulky especially with an Assault Vest. I'll say maybe but I would like to lean no.
Mega Mawile - The only thing it really lost is Swords Dance. No
Mewtwo - No
Palkia - No
Rayquaza - No
Reshiram - No
Mega Salamence - It only lost Dragon Dance. No
Shaymin - No
Xerneas - While it lost Geomancy, it is still easy to see why I'd say no
Yveltal - No
Zekrom - No

Altogether, the only other Pokemon I'd be willing to see unban besides Defense Deoxys and Aegislash is Blaziken and its Mega. In the maybe piles are those Pokemon without offensive pressure like Giratina and Lugia, but I would highly stray away from unbanning them. What do others think?

---

With the other current topic, Wobbuffet is probably too much for the same reason Mega Gengar is. Wobbuffet can more easily do its job now that everyone will be using attacks on it and the only way to get around it are to use Physical Ghosts, Special Darks, U-Turn into a Ghost, or Volt Switch into a Dark. I don't like this guy one bit if he's going to reduce the playing that much.

Ok after a few games against Wobbuffet, I can really say that it is broken. The ability to switch in on something your team struggles with, like a tank or a sweeper, take a few hits, and then use Counter or Mirror Coat to extremely weaken them at best for you. Due to its huge HP stat, it can take so little as 19% and return for 64%. Counter and Mirror Coat in of themselves are pretty good, but they can be played around, but not with Shadow Tag as well. The only sure way to compacting Wobbuffet is to dedicate two teamslots for it, a Ghost for Counter and a Dark for Mirror Coat, or Spiritomb/Sableye for both, but they are terrible. With Wobbuffet's huge HP, it can basically switch in on any neutral hit, take another hit, and basically kill a Pokemon. That shouldn't be able to happen, at least with Talonflame you don't get free switches on most of the meta, since it has average at best bulk.

Overall, Wobbuffet is really broken, being able to act as a bulky Mega Gengar and pick and choose what you want to be dead and what you don't. The meta would be much more fun without this thing, since it fits so many roles too well in order to be fair.

It's kind of stupid and shows just how silly Wobbu is, but you vould use Dragon Tail and Circle Throw on certain mons to out-slow Counter and Mirror Coat.

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fun game with TI: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-245876043

I agree with what's being said above, I've had a lot of games with Wobbuffet and I personally use it on my team to defeat threats to my team. The battle above shows a little bit of pressure it gives (I wish I saved replays with wobb, I found that replay in my replays tab)

It's kind of stupid and shows just how silly Wobbu is, but you vould use Dragon Tail and Circle Throw on certain mons to out-slow Counter and Mirror Coat.
But these moves are completely useless in No Status. There is no or very little set-up sweepers, and there is no hazards, so if these moves are being considered to use on your Pokemon just because of Wobbuffet, then there is a problem. Plus it's not like these moves get rid of Wobbuffet either, the owner just now knows that it can't trap that Pokemon, but another.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)