Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Any suggestions for this team? Its Double Dance Lando-T, Serperior, and Specs Keldeo so far.

Concerning Diancie and Sharpedo who typically Protect as/before going mega: If you think your opponent's anticipating that Protect and decides to Sub/boost/set hazards/switch, is it ever a decent idea to swing and catch them off guard?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Concerning Diancie and Sharpedo who typically Protect as/before going mega: If you think your opponent's anticipating that Protect and decides to Sub/boost/set hazards/switch, is it ever a decent idea to swing and catch them off guard?
You just have to risk v. reward it in your head. If you protect and they sub, you have to switch out (assuming they one shot), but at least your sharpedo/diancie is still alive. If you predict their sub and instead attack, but they attack, you've now lost your mega after doing nothing. Unless I have nothing to switch to, I personally would never make that risky a play.

Of course, it'd come down to the specific match up and specific game. Just make sure you don't make completely unnecessary sacs when there's an alternative.

Is a bulky Venusaur viable on a team where you already have a Mega? I'm trying to make a fresh and new Zard-X team, and I'm just stuck with the building process. I had a good team prior but I saw flaws in the team, and wanted to correct them.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is a bulky Venusaur viable on a team where you already have a Mega? I'm trying to make a fresh and new Zard-X team, and I'm just stuck with the building process. I had a good team prior but I saw flaws in the team, and wanted to correct them.
Amoonguss is generally better since it has higher physical bulk, equal special bulk, Regenerator and Spore. Venusaur has a bit more offensive presence though, so it's not completely without merit, but in the vast majority of cases, Amoonguss is a better pick.

Is the following set viable? :

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Screech
- Crunch
- Iron Tail
- Superpower

So, I was just fooling around with Hydreigon and noticed that it learned Screech. Most of Hydreigon's switch-ins are Fairy-types or are slow Special tanks themselves (such as the blobs, AV Conkeldurr, AV Azumarill) so hitting them on the switch forces them out as they fear a OHKO from Hydreigon due to their dropped Defenses. Well, that's the initial idea, anyway. But, since the opponent can simply switch out to cancel the stat drop, is this set even worth it? 232 Spe Jolly is used to outpace Naive max Speed Kyurem-B (and speed creep those Pokemon creeping 184 Timid base 100s) .

Last edited:
I'm running a hazard stacking offense team, but I've run into trouble with fast attackers because none of my mons break 110 base speed and I have no priority. For reference, I got Custap Lead Skarm, Offensive SR Chomp, Offensive TS Dragalge, standard Bisharp, LO Gengar and AoA Mega Metagross. What would be a good switch to alleviate this problem, ideally without stacking Fairy vulnerabilities?

Last edited:
Is the following set viable? :

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Screech
- Crunch
- Iron Tail
- Superpower

So, I was just fooling around with Hydreigon and noticed that it learned Screech. Most of Hydreigon's switch-ins are Fairy-types or are Special tanks themselves (such as the blobs, AV Conkeldurr) so hitting them on the switch forces them out as they fear a OHKO from Hydreigon due to their dropped Defenses (2HKO in Chansey's case). Well, that's the initial idea, anyway. But, since the opponent can simply switch out to cancel the stat drop, is this set even worth it? 232 Spe Jolly is used to outpace Naive max Speed Kyurem-B (and speed creep those Pokemon creeping 184 Timid base 100s) .
Considering you still have to catch a lot of that stuff on the switch, I think you'd be better off running something else over Screech and just hitting them with the intended attack on the switch. That way when they switch you'll at least have hit them for some damage as opposed to them freely switching out.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm running a hazard stacking offense team, but I've run into trouble with fast attackers because none of my mons break 100 base speed and I have no priority. For reference, I got Custap Lead Skarm, Offensive SR Chomp, Offensive TS Dragalge, standard Bisharp, LO Gengar and AoA Mega Metagross. What would be a good switch to alleviate this problem, ideally without stacking Fairy vulnerabilities?
3 of those pokemon break base 100 speed (Garchomp, Gengar, Mega Meta), and Bisharp has Sucker Punch priority what exactly is the problem you're having?

Sorry, I meant 110 -- fixed it now. Sucker Punch is good, but situational and causes a lot of 50/50s -- and anyway, it's not very useful against some fast attackers, like Mega Lopunny and Weavile. Basically anything fast gets to outspeed and do some serious damage even to my heavier hitters, so I was looking for something (Scarfed or not) that might serve as insurance against that type of enemy.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Sorry, I meant 110 -- fixed it now. Sucker Punch is good, but situational and causes a lot of 50/50s -- and anyway, it's not very useful against some fast attackers, like Mega Lopunny and Weavile. Basically anything fast gets to outspeed and do some serious damage even to my heavier hitters, so I was looking for something (Scarfed or not) that might serve as insurance against that type of enemy.
well a quick fix would be scarf Terrak>sr chomp since you have a custap lead already. It makes you weaker to Talonflame tho so idk if there's something else you would rather change.

I'm not adamant on Megagross -- do you think there's any Mega that would be better suited to the role? Of course, it would also require another Fairy check.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you'd still like to know I'm rather partial to the Life Orb set as it's Hydro Pumps are enhanced by the rain making its base 90 SpA quite destructive.

However I recommend this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-ou-sets-viability-rankings-v3.3537590/page-5#post-6264211
It tells the viability of each set
He was asking about the best EV spread, not the best set.
To answer the question, I think that the spread on site is still probably the best, which is 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe, Calm. The speed is for Adamant Azumarill so that Politoed can encore it into Belly Drum, and the SpDef is mainly for the likes of Zard Y but physically defensive doesnt sound too bad.
astroshagger

If I have a Pokemon with Trace, does Trace activate before or after Hazards kick in?

For example, does Mega Alakazam trace Levitate before or after the game deals Spikes damage?

this is probably an incredibly dumb question that's not even 100% appropriate for this thread but i don't care

So most people have seen people bitch about matchup somewhere on Smogon. If I understand the concept of matchup correctly, it's where you auto-lose to threats your team is not prepared for because of the huge influx of threats. Not counting poorly made teams with gaping weaknesses, isn't it also possible that matches could decided by matchup because both players are of equal skill level? If 2 people who are just as good as each other battle, they'll probably just end up stacking a bunch of yomi layers against each other, so it makes sense that the less obvious weaknesses a team would have ("matchup") would decide who wins. I'm asking this because it seems like battlers should be able to play around weaknesses in their team if they outplay the opponent. Is this just more common than people think...?

I've literally never played or watched a high level game in my life so I don't know how high level players perceive matchup, but this was just an idea that I thought was interesting.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
I've a question about hazard removal, which is better for removing hazards affecting your pokemon, Defog or Rapid Spin?
Depends on your team. If Latios fits your team better, use Defog. If Excadrll fits better, use Spin. But aso, if you have a team that reies on multiple hazards itself (ie, Spikes, Tspikes) or if you have a rocks setter that won't last throughout the match (ie, custap skarm, Azelf, etc) then Defog is not preferable, since it removes the hazards you set and you will either have to take multiple turns to set them back up, or will never set them up again, respectively.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Jirachi I guess to provide Stealth Rock support and an answer to the likes of Mega Gardevoir, Latios, Thunder Wave Clefable, and Mega Altaria which are all very troublesome for Tentacruel and Mega Sableye to deal with. I would personally go with something along the lines of Stealth Rock + Body Slam + Iron Head + U-turn as it provides good momentum, Stealth Rock support, and flinch shenanigans.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
What are the benefits of running Psychic over Psyshock on Latios?
You deal more damage to Mega Venusaur (OHKOes as opposed to Psyshock's 2HKO), Mega Diancie (Psychic OHKOes after SR, Psyshock doesn't) and Mega Altaria (Psyshock 3HKOes bulky Mega Altaria as opposed to Psychic's 2HKO), and more damage to physically defensive stuff such as Suicune, Alomomola, and Hippowdon without using Draco Meteor and facing the Special Attack drop. Really boils down the preference but I think Psyshock is probably better overall to beat Raikou, Tornadus-T, and Conkeldurr and circumvent Chansey and Clefable to an extent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)