Gen 6 ORAS Ubers Metagame Discussion

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ubers-spl-replays-discussion-thread.3526174/

Check out donkey and Hack's teams for some cool ideas, they are probably the most solid stall teams that have been made / revealed edit: recently obviously

For a starting point I would go with Lugia+Magic Bounce, but you do still want Defog, something for Dark Arceus (Clef and I think Snatch Blissey), standard stall stuff like cleric support, etc. Ofc some kind of hazard goes without saying. Obviously some things need to be compressed to fit 6 mons (in donkey's team Unaware Clef also deals with any kind of GeoXern for example). Luckily Lugia more or less stops all physical attackers.

But anyway I don't really play stall so perhaps someone more familiar will give you a better answer
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Also I was using a team in found in the RMT thread that was built around cm darkceus and m diancie. Pretty good stall team but kinda weak to set up sweepers (namely rock polish + sd groudon and m salamence).

Imo it's pretty cool to see Custap Berry back, but i am afraid it's not nearly as good as it used to be. With the addition of Defog clearing hazards and now Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye seeing decent usage in Ubers it's effectiveness is really reduced, since even if you are able to set two or three layers of whatever hazard you want, it is very hard to pressure every Defoger/Magic bouncer used so those hazards can be cleared later on in the match without too hard of an effort and at that point you got a basicly useless pokemon on your team that died early for a bit of damage on some of the opponent's pokemon which imo isnt worth it. But it's still nice to have it back and fun to use :].

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Custap Berry seems just fine in the meta. Although we do have Diancie and the prevalence of defog now, Diancie doesn't want to come in on forry for fear of an OHKO. Plus if you have rocks up and forry has done its job, that Custap could always be used to spin away hazards or simply explode and prevent defog or just chunk something and make them waste PP.

I see it as kind of like Deoxys-Speed, use it at your own risk/discretion. Custap Berry isn't going to make Forry very popular anytime soon, but it'll certainly give it at least some usable niche.

Yeh Custap Berry improved wobbuffet a bit too, that is a cool mon to support offensive ones (Encore is p sweet to have)

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Mega Ray not even on the list
RU Eelektross at #5
K

Also Custap Berry wobbly how did I forget
that was like the best item for it

Hey, every tier including UU is having a suspect test now, so why not suspect Primal Groudon too?
Kidding, but would the Timespace orbs be viable in Ubers? I mean, Giratina needs Griseous Orb to change to Origin Forme, so that's viable, but would Lustrous or Adamant Orb merit use on their respective Creation Trio member?

Hey, every tier including UU is having a suspect test now, so why not suspect Primal Groudon too?
Kidding, but would the Timespace orbs be viable in Ubers? I mean, Giratina needs Griseous Orb to change to Origin Forme, so that's viable, but would Lustrous or Adamant Orb merit use on their respective Creation Trio member?
Lustrous orb Palkia was viable back in XY. While the lati twins do exist, and have stolen it's main niche, lustrous orb palkia is still a good option for offensive/balanced teams. Adamant orb Dialga wasn't as big of a thing in XY, but saw some usage. I guess you could use this too, but it's generally outclassed by Life orb/leftovers/shuca berry.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lustrous Orb is Palkia's best item as Primal Groudon both makes it risky to use Choice sets and outclasses defensive sets.

Adamant Orb is plenty viable on Dialga, but Shuca Berry has the huge benefit of checking EQ Mence reliably so it can be a tough decision at times.

I hope this is the right place to ask.

It's more of a 'how to' question from a noob like me, but can someone explain how does Latinas check P-Don? Does it need a specific set to do so? From what I've seen, Don can easily Twave/Stone Edge/DClaw it, while Draco Meteor's damage output is somewhat lacking. Am I doing anything wrong?

Latias @ Soul dew
Levitate
216 HP/116 SpA /176 Spe
Draco/Psyshock/Roost/CM

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
That's the correct set, and the point is that lati can kill it before it can kill lati, normally.

Yes, paralysis hurts, as does dclaw, but draco does enough that pdon doesn't live much after it anyway, and latis can defog away SR is groudon is a SR setter, so latias can negate the damage done to the rest of the team by primal groudon.

same

i agree with most of your sentiments, but re: defining teams-- this has always been unimportant to me. it's not like you ever build with a teamstyle in mind. if you're using deoxys-s or lugia, partners are naturally going to be more formulaic for a certain team "structure", sure, but mostly it's simply an arbitrary concept that is relatively unnecessary to define.

also you made a pretty good point about the staleness being attributed to the fact that the best HO team was made day 1.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The ORAS metagame simply rewards offensive play more than defensive play. There is enough variety in threats and enough variety in the tools each threat has to make this so. It takes one successful break for offense to win the game, while by comparison, a defensive team only wins after thwarting many attempts at breaking it down. The best player will play to win and unless this involves bringing a counter style this usually means playing offense.

same

i agree with most of your sentiments, but re: defining teams-- this has always been unimportant to me. it's not like you ever build with a teamstyle in mind. if you're using deoxys-s or lugia, partners are naturally going to be more formulaic for a certain team "structure", sure, but mostly it's simply an arbitrary concept that is relatively unnecessary to define.

also you made a pretty good point about the staleness being attributed to the fact that the best HO team was made day 1.
Pardon the question but is this HO team the one in the sample teams thread? From what I've played of ORAS regarding Ubers it seems like the tier is so chock full of so many offensive pokemon that one cannot check all of them. And then there could be the possibility that one pokemon such as a Primal Groudon has several possible sets such that something like Mega Salamence could be offed by a Dragon Pulse. In a similar fashion, the opposing player could have a wild card which you didn't prepare for be it a Mega Gengar, or a Scarfed Kyurem-W. All of this of course pointing to offense being the dominanat playstyle as of now in ORAS Ubers.

Question. We all know that Protean Greninja is Ubers and all, but how about Torrent Greninja? That one would only have STAB for water and Dark moves and the low health boost to water attacks that torrent gives. Or are his stats so high even torrent is Ubers? Just wanted to know.

Question. We all know that Protean Greninja is Ubers and all, but how about Torrent Greninja? That one would only have STAB for water and Dark moves and the low health boost to water attacks that torrent gives. Or are his stats so high even torrent is Ubers? Just wanted to know.
When Pokemon are banned, they are banned as a whole, not by what sets were broken. Thus it wasn't a question of whether Torrent Greninja or Protean Greninja is broken in OU, but whether Greninja using its best sets was broken in OU. Therefore, while Torrent Greninja is not broken in OU, it was never considered a relevant question during its suspect test.

When Pokemon are banned, they are banned as a whole, not by what sets were broken. Thus it wasn't a question of whether Torrent Greninja or Protean Greninja is broken in OU, but whether Greninja using its best sets was broken in OU. Therefore, while Torrent Greninja is not broken in OU, it was never considered a relevant question during its suspect test.
Ok, got it.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
absolutely. just because you two both decided to bring inferior variations of standard HO doesn't mean everyone else does. i'm glad that a lot of the tournament players have settled down a bit from the "oras is stale no creativity blah blah blah" bandwagon... sure, oras may be more limited than we've been in the past, but there's still room to spread your proverbial wings. standard ho is very arguably the best team possible in oras, but that doesn't mean it's the only one, and there are ways to beat it - a poorly played ladder match (no offense) isn't an indication of the tier at large.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)