Tournament LCPL Power Raynkings with Coach Ray

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Week 1 Ray-cap and Week 2 Pray-dictions
with coach ray
"Ray, we're back! After a busy holiday weekend, it's time to see which teams ended Week 1 with fireworks and which teams ended up saltier than the British, circa 1776."

"Tom, this week wasn't necessarily the most surprising, but that is honestly my favorite type of week because I love being right. That being said, we must acknowledge that we did call two of these games wrong completely."

"You're exactly right there Ray. I'll be honest, this week, it was really this Timburrs team that surprised me. Let's check out the first game of the week."

Highlight Game 1: Sweep (TMNT) v. Majaspic22 (Timburrs)

"Wow, Ray! Who knew the Timburrs were coming in preparing to hax that hard?"

"I have no idea, Tom, but I do know one thing- this game should be enough to get people begging to go back to the days of speed ties where at least your odds were 50/50 instead of 1 in 19 billion or whatever the odds of double paralysis on Tri Attack and full paralysis the following turn on Tirtouga."

"Ray, I've gotta ask it because I think all of our audience is wondering it- at what point is that not even hax anymore? At what point is this just actually skill on the part of Majas?"

"Tom, I answer your question with a question. And for this, I need to once again quote my good friend LittleCupMasteh- 'I was wondering what Berries might help in the Little Cup Tier. Any suggestions?"

Highlight Game 2: Speto (Tynamo Dynamoes) v. Sken (Duskulls)

"Coach Ray, this was the most telling game for me, especially in regards to trying to make claims about the Duskulls season."

"Good eye Tom. This game was important. If the Duskulls lost this one, they would have gone 0-3 in ORAS and had a tough time clawing out of week 1 against the scrubs. Instead, Sken entered the game and to me, it really felt like he was in control the entire time. Given Speto's team brought 3 bulkier water types, all great defensive pivots, that impresses me, a lot. He also played cautious through the end, showing a level of maturity I haven't seen in him before. Sure, he's always been good, but if the Duskulls want a chance in this tourney, he has to perform like this week after week."

"Expert analysis, as always Ray. I'd also like to point out Sken made great use of the Diglett + Vullaby combo, playing it safely enough to get enough switches to wear down Speto's squad even without Vullaby doing a ton of damage this game."

"This is the Duskulls I want to see more of. Use Sken and Fender to maintain control, and polish up that ORAS squad before next week. With that, it's time to announce this week's Most Valuable P-ray-er.

Most Valuable P-RAY-er (MVP): Amaura (Mambos)

"Ray, I think a lot of people had questions about some of our LC vets entering this tourney due to the fact that we see some of them engage in tryhard mode so infrequently. That being said, I don't think TCR was one of those players, and I think that almost puts him under more pressure."

"Tom let me tell you. I've played in these kind of situations before and you're exactly right. Week 1 is a nightmare for the sturdy elite. Your opponents know what you like to play, and the crowd still expects you to perform anyways."

"Quasar certainly brought it this week. Given the Murkrow ban, his team was not only inventive, it was surprising. Blizzard / Psychic Staryu is fast and hits hard and really threatens the common defensive cores you expect to see in a Murkrow-less meta, including the one we see on Amaura's team. Still, Amaura saw through it with a pivotal switch to Slowpoke on Turn 14 instead of the more obvious Vullaby."

"That's right Tom. I'd almost say that was the turn that won the Mambos the week. We saw cased and rumor make it through their matches due to slight tilt on the part of Midas and a wrong team selection by tazz. But the Aipoms still were in great position due to outstanding performances by Kumiho and Shrug."

"Either ray, a convincing 5-0 win from Amaura makes him this week's MVP. And I think we can both agree on what the new trend is going to be...."

"Hashtag Mambo Get Carried."

"Alright Ray, it's time to move onto our Week 2 predictions! Hopefully less fireworks this week, but maybe the Tirtougas can still bailout their season after the Greeks sure didn't."

Teenage Mutant Ninja Tirtougas v Los Mambos
ORAS: Sweep v Cased
ORAS: bouf v Celestavian
ORAS: sam v Rumor
TangMa: FLCL v 49
BW: Innovamania v Amaura
DPP: nails v Hikari
LC UU: Metaphysical v Mambo

"I wouldn't say that TMNT is clearly outmatched just yet. Again, we have to acknowledge how big of a role hax played in their last week, Ray."

"I agree Tom. Expect Sweep to come out with a strong performance, and the same from bouf. That being said, I'm not sure FLCL is ready to compete on this Little of a stage yet, and Amaura looks really hot in BW. Of course, Innovamania is coming off a win this week, so definitely a match to watch. Still, the outcome here seems pretty clear."

"That's right Ray. Hashtag Mambo get carried."

The Developmentally Delayed Duskulls v Aipom Army
ORAS 1: Cydrolic v Tazz
ORAS 2: Melonz v trev
ORAS 3: Levi v Kingmidas
LC UU: Fiend Hound v Yagura
Tangma: Aladyyn v Fitzy72
BW: Water Drone v Kingler12345
DPP: Sparktrain v Kumiho

"Wow Ray, Rowan is really spreading the wealth around this week. Throwing in Kingler, Yagura, trev, and a few others that didn't play week 1 seems like a choice that is going to cost him."

"Keeping in Midas seems to be purposeful. I'm guessing we can expect some massive cheese strategy like triple Choice Flying-type team with Choice Band Doduo, Choice Specs Taillow, and Choice Scarf Vullaby. Then Levi falls to it because he falls for everything."

"Quite the p-ray-diction there! Personally, I cannot get over the fact that Tazz just did not look good last week, and I'm not sure fitzy is as young as he used to be. Again, I'm not sure the Aipoms can just rely on Kumiho to win them the week every week and dink around with their other 6 slots."

Snivy Subterfuge v The Terrible Timburrs
ORAS 1: Mad0ka v majaspic22
ORAS 2: Antemortem v Tesung
ORAS 3: H&M Berkeley v Fatty
LCUU: Cheir v Pikasohn
TangMa: Absdaddy v apt-get
BW: Vileman v Atomicllamas
DPP: Raseri v idiotfrommars

"Tom, this is unbelievable. Why is Tricking on the bench? This is the equivalent of benching John Hancock at the signing of the Declaration of Independence. He is EASILY the biggest name on the team, and had a stellar week 1 performance."

"I agree with you! Mad0ka was definitely the talk going into 1, and I do think he has majas thoroughly outmatched, but not playing Tricking scares me."

"Tom, the Timburrs ability to score crits, flinches, and paralyses was the story of Week 1. Given the fact that Tesung simply will not play, I think they need that again. Maybe no Tricking is a sign of confidence-- there certainly are some clear mismatches here. Cheir v Pikasohn, Raseri v ifm, and Mad0ka v. majas are the obvious choices for me. Atomicllamas seems out of practice, and fatty should bring home the win, but has always struggled against some of the newer players in the newer meta. Whether that's a symptom of his insistence of using Honedge in every match- well, I don't know. But I do know if you live by the sword, you die by the sword."

The Squirtle Squad v scrubs
ORAS 1: Goao v Radianthero156
ORAS 2: trash v Akkeshi
ORAS 3: The Avalanches v LJ Darkrai
TangMa: Blarajan v RealFV13
LCUU: Omastar42 v Mysteria
BW: TUO v Eternal Spirit
DPP: Heysup v Ren-chon

"Ray, Blarajan's almost insta-loss this week certainly helped these predictions, but I still think the Squirtles have it. They're well rounded, they're fast, they're both young and old, I love them. Omastar should look good against Mysteria, and while I think we've got a few weeks before Heysup hits his stride, this set of predictions has the Squirtles winning even with him losing. That tells me something."

"Tom, I was slightly disappointed by the Scrubs week 1. I really think the nerves got to them. That's frankly not something you can allow against this squad."

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Week One Ray-cap and Week Two P-Ray-dictions
ft. news on the status of power player: Tricking

------------------------------------------------------------
LCPL 2k15 Radio Coverage from POKE 97.9

Click here for unlimited access to POKE 97.9!

[The opinions, predictions, and other rantings involved in POKE 97.9 productions do not necessarily reflect those of its producer, H&MBerkeley]

[Also my throat's been sore the past couple days so my Ray voice is a bit lackluster this week, rip]

Last edited:
oh wtf i just got the 'raycaptions' thingy im truly a dumbfuck
don't care too much for these but from what i can see a lot of effort has been put into them so gj :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)