Banning Leppa Berry

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I like challenges. So you can confirm Vinc2612.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-251052457

This method is based on double pickup, so me and my opponent shares the same leppa berry for infinity and beyonds. Note that this was just a test battle for the mecanics, I didn't make the best plays (should have kept one Block PP in case he tries to PPwast me, since in this case, rest is more useful). But otherwise it works as long as I get the trap.

The team can probably be optimized though, I just brought slightly different trappers so I can face more Pokémon.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Cosmic Power
- Baton Pass
- Mean Look

Gardevoir @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Mean Look
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk

Gourgeist-Small
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Skill Swap
- Confide
- Magic Coat

Gothitelle @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Mean Look
- Role Play
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Mew @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Bold Nature
- Block
- Role Play
- Iron Defense
- Rest

Landorus-Therian @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Impish Nature
- Role Play
- Block
- Rest
- Bulk Up
Heh, I completely forgot about the existence of Role Play.

You're already confirmed, btw: Global voice automatically grants confirmed status.

Yeah, it will only work with BW rain, so add Politoed. Jynx can just switch out and back in to regain Dry Skin.
Sounds like it'll work. Can you try to get a replay?

Either way, if you want confirmed status, it's yours.

Now to figure out how to take care of this... The most difficult part is, if your opponent has a Dry Skin user, it suddenly becomes very hard to ban... You'd need to ban Leppacycling completely, or at least Leppacycling in combination with Water/Electric moves...

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How would that work

Switching out means mean look is broken and even if you send in goth and go back to jynx there is one turn of down time

And tbh how does that jynx live any neutral attack

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong but i think the issue is that endless battling is just a retarded strategy that isn't competitive and there isn't a way to get out of it, so it wouldn't matter how easy it is to avoid. if its possible to set up a trap that cannot be escaped without forfeiting then it should go under the clause imo

at this point might as well just add leppa berry + recycle to whatever bans. if leppa was a far-fetched item to use competitively then leppa recycle is even worse, and I think it's better than banning water or electric type moves

also isn't dry skin recovery 12% and struggle recoil 25%?
e: nvm my mind slipped here

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
12% in rain but 25% on Water Pulse

leppa + any possibility to recycle it would be the way to go, through harvest / recycle / pick up / anything else you can think of

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is there no way to implement a limit to battles in the form of struggle loops resulting in a tie or a player losing after a certain amount of turns? All the endless battle problems come from healing back struggle recoil and since playing a cat and mouse game in banning arbitrary things just to prevent that is the problem here, wouldn't that just solve it? I remember someone brought this up during the original endless battle clause, but for some reason it didn't get through, despite being an actual cart mechanic (a timer limit, but that would be dumb for 6v6 singles).

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
All the endless battle problems come from healing back struggle recoil
Not all of them. Some of them involve forcing the opponent to Leppacycle, and one involves preventing the opponent from using any moves at all (Truant/Protect loop).

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Okay, new idea: in-battle clause:

A Pokémon is considered stale if:
- it has gained a Leppa berry through any means besides starting with one (including but not limited to Harvest, Recycle, Pickup, Symbiosis, Bestow, Thief, Switcheroo, and Magician)
- it has been targeted with Fling Leppa Berry
- OR it has no available moves other than Struggle and ends a turn with more HP than it started that turn with
- OR it has no available moves other than Struggle and ends a turn with as much HP as it started with, and was not fully paralyzed, loafing around from Truant, or immobilized from Attract

If all active Pokémon are stale, the player whose team originally started with a Leppa Berry loses (or it's a tie, if both teams started with Leppa Berries).

Last edited:

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Since no one seems to know what Confirmed status is, I will be offering a custom avatar to the next person who can think of a way around my latest in-battle clause, and post a replay demonstrating it.

This replaces all my earlier challenges.

qpie

predatory
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I know this isn't really what you're looking for, but technically with your proposed clause it is still possible to create an endless battle
  • using Ghost type Pokémon
  • in a Gen 1 match
  • when both players have only Normal type moves left.
Realistically this would never happen anyway, but if you want the clause to include fringe cases like something along the lines of
  • - OR it is out of PP and ends a turn with as much or more HP than it started that turn with
might do the trick. This would also rule out - even more unlikely - scenarios of both players being down to one Pokémon with no PP left and enough passive recovery (Aqua Ring, Ingrain, Leftovers, Rain Dish, ...) to offset Struggle damage.

Last edited:
The closest thing I could think of in Gen 6 is giving the opponent Dry Skin, Leftovers, and activating Grassy Terrain and Rain to heal exactly 25%. However, I don't think Dry Skin works the turn Rain wears off, and the same with Grassy Terrain when it wears off. Someone else should test it, I don't need the custom avatar and barely have working internet anyways.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Gen 1 Ghost v Ghost
Fair enough, you get an avatar. It's my fault for trying to make an exception for Truant. The new Truant exception is now:

- OR it is out of PP and ends a turn with as much HP as it started with, and was not fully paralyzed or loafing around

In theory, this should be sufficient, since neither FP nor Truant activate all the time.

[someone PMed me] Harvest+Bestow Trevenant
My list of ways to Leppacycle is woefully incomplete. New method requires no list:

- it has gained a Leppa berry through any means besides starting with one (including but not limited to Harvest, Recycle, Pickup, Symbiosis, Bestow, Thief, Switcheroo, and Magician)

Last edited:

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I've implemented my new Endless Battle Clause in Smogtours. Feel free to test your sets there.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-76570

A Pokemon may be forced to Struggle without actually running out of all its PP (in this case, choice item + running out of the locked move's PP, but scenarios involving Imprison, Taunt, Torment, Disable, etc. are possible). In this case, the Endless Battle Clause will fail to activate.
Valid. Feel free to PM me for a custom avatar.

I've updated the rule to "it has no available moves other than Struggle".

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, new idea: in-battle clause:

A Pokémon is considered stale if:
- OR it has no available moves other than Struggle and ends a turn with more HP than it started that turn with
- OR it has no available moves other than Struggle and ends a turn with as much HP as it started with, and was not fully paralyzed, loafing around from Truant, or immobilized from Attract

If all active Pokémon are stale, the player whose team originally started with a Leppa Berry loses (or it's a tie, if both teams started with Leppa Berries).
Although I might not have found a way to bypass said mechanic, I can find a scenario where this would be exploited, in gsc where games tend to be significantly longer than other generations, and pp stalling and long term play being far more important. Wouldn't this new clause be available per se if one player happens to have a significantly lower chance of winning, and choose to run out of pp and then proceed to struggle and by chance if struggle fails to inflict enough damage for the leftovers recovery, then it would trigger this clause and thus end in a stale game and thus be a redo.

I'm bringing this up because this is exactly what happened in Tiba vs Bedschibaer during spl 6 where one player ended up having a zapdos that could only struggle (and a curse snorlax in the back) and was reliant on said zapdos ko'ing itself via its opponent's attacks + struggle recoil (which was unfeasible) and then proceeding to sweep with the curselax in the back which would give Beds the (likely) win, Tiba proceeded to avoid this scenario by relentlessly switching his mons in to end the battle via PO turn count thus forcing the draw/null match. This was the original decision, and although it was overturned later on due to the fact that this type of scenario would not happen on cartridge due to no turn limit, with your new proposed endless battle clause, a gsc player at a disadvantageous situation could potentially do something similar to Tiba and get your new clause to nullify the match and rather than getting overturned because of sim restrictions, it would be instead be considered a stale game due to endless battle.

Honestly this might just be a nitpick but it's definitely worth noting especially in tiers where struggle doesn't do a guaranteed 25% recoil to the user so I feel having some sort of workaround to make this non abusable in a tour setting would be preferable.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Although I might not have found a way to bypass said mechanic, I can find a scenario where this would be exploited, in gsc where games tend to be significantly longer than other generations, and pp stalling and long term play being far more important. Wouldn't this new clause be available per se if one player happens to have a significantly lower chance of winning, and choose to run out of pp and then proceed to struggle and by chance if struggle fails to inflict enough damage for the leftovers recovery, then it would trigger this clause and thus end in a stale game and thus be a redo.

I'm bringing this up because this is exactly what happened in Tiba vs Bedschibaer during spl 6 where one player ended up having a zapdos that could only struggle (and a curse snorlax in the back) and was reliant on said zapdos ko'ing itself via its opponent's attacks + struggle recoil (which was unfeasible) and then proceeding to sweep with the curselax in the back which would give Beds the (likely) win, Tiba proceeded to avoid this scenario by relentlessly switching his mons in to end the battle via PO turn count thus forcing the draw/null match. This was the original decision, and although it was overturned later on due to the fact that this type of scenario would not happen on cartridge due to no turn limit, with your new proposed endless battle clause, a gsc player at a disadvantageous situation could potentially do something similar to Tiba and get your new clause to nullify the match.

Honestly this might just be a nitpick but it's definitely worth noting especially in tiers where struggle doesn't do a guaranteed 25% recoil to the user.
Both Pokémon need to be stale for Endless Battle Clause to activate. In your case, it seems that only the Zapdos would be considered stale.

That is a situation that needs to be handled somehow, though. How would you suggest it be handled?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Honorable mention goes to SHOEGAZE SKUP and akelly96, who were very close to finding an endless battle, using Roar + Regenerator to heal Struggle damage. Unfortunately, it still fails:

I'm still probably going to give him a custom avatar, though, because it was a really creative idea.

Both Pokémon need to be stale for Endless Battle Clause to activate. In your case, it seems that only the Zapdos would be considered stale.

That is a situation that needs to be handled somehow, though. How would you suggest it be handled?
Switching X times in a row while your opponent is stuck on Struggle makes you stale

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Oh my mistake, didn't notice that both pokemon had to be stale, but my point still stands as a whole especially if say both sides were out of pp and their wincon was for the opponent to switch and thus eventually ko their mon locked into struggle, which could potentially be disadvantageous for the opposing party and thus still abusable. Even in the former case, although it might not be a stale game in the truest sense, it forces one side to give up their advantageous position and be locked into a worse position.

What I would recommend is probably something along the lines of, you can't use struggle more than x turns in a row (with x being a predetermined number turns being what would be considered legitimate uses of struggle before it becomes obvious that you want to force your opp to either endlessly stall the battle out via switches or trigger some endless battle clause effect) and if you do it results in a auto loss. Although it might not seem the most practical at an initial glance, it'll potentially avoid the situation where one side either endlessly struggles or making their opponent be forced to make bad plays to avoid a tie which I feel is what you're going for with this. However even this still has its flaws and there's really no way that I can think of atm that wouldn't potentially be advantageous for a specific player to exploit, but this way would make the whole opponent being forced to make terrible reactionary plays to avoid a tie game more feasible which I feel is the point of this clause in the first place.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Honorable mention goes to SHOEGAZE SKUP and akelly96, who were very close to finding an endless battle, using Roar + Regenerator to heal Struggle damage. Unfortunately, it still fails:

I'm still probably going to give him a custom avatar, though, because it was a really creative idea.
This can indeed be turned into an endless battle when combined with the ability imposter. Although like the whole gen 1 ghost thing it is very impractical and pretty much will never happen in a real battle, with the ability imposter which gives pp upon switchin, you can endlessly stall a battle out. Something that me and Haruno came up with. Replay for reference. The battle will technically never end.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-251601165

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
SHOEGAZE SKUP and akelly96 did it, with an Assist Whirlwind team this time.

This can indeed be turned into an endless battle when combined with the ability imposter. Although like the whole gen 1 ghost thing it is very impractical and pretty much will never happen in a real battle, with the ability imposter which gives pp upon switchin, you can endlessly stall a battle out. Something that me and Haruno came up with. Replay for reference. The battle will technically never end.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-251601165
1. I'm pretty sure my Endless Battle Clause prevents that. Test in Smogtours.

2. You can make a battle last forever simply by doing nothing but double-switching. Endless Battle Clause only covers the case where only one player is trying to make a battle last forever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)