Art Contest: Smogon's Front Page Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's my WIP entry for blue, Mega Charizard X!!!! If there's anything to change please tell me so, if not then I'll just add some touch ups. My red is Mega Scizor and green is Mega Gallade.

EDIT: Bummer, I understand that Charizard X's wings aren't as flexible as feathered ones, but from some of the in-game videos featuring ZardX, his wings are able to do something like that, so if possible, I won't change the wings for the time being. Also, yes, his head is facing away but I don't know how to change that so ya. But I did change up his hand and feet claws, also did some minor changes.

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This'll be my entry for the time being, although I may still edit this post or include a fourth option. Best of luck to everyone participating!
Diancie's face and the outlines of Altaria's clouds could have some darker lineart. When I shrink them down to the scale they'll eventually be in, some of the colored lineart gets lost in the colors and it becomes less easier to see certain features. I'll look into if the images this round can be slightly larger, but nonetheless, making the lineart stand out more would be wise. Chesnaught could have a shorter beard so that the very edge of its back isn't obscured by it, and I second what others said about its eyes in correlation with its nose. All three are awesome though, and it's good that you angled them so that most of them can be shown in the circles.

Here is my one of my entries being Mega Charizard X! may touch it up a bit still suggestions are appreciated :)
Very nice! Its left shoulder could be further up imo, and its left wing could also be bigger giving how much closer it is to the viewer. I'm not entirely sure how the folded wing should look, but right now, it seems rather limp and not as stiff as it could be. You could always draw it stretched out since it's not a requirement that the whole pic has to be inside the final circle, particularly so as the other wing should be quite visible.

Here's my WIP entry for blue, Mega Charizard X!!!! If there's anything to change please tell me so, if not then I'll just add some touch ups. My red is Mega Scizor and green is Mega Gallade.
Some of my concerns are how its claws seem to be glued onto the hands and feet. The whole base of the claws need to be enveloped by tissue, something that the claws on the feet in particular lack in, while the claws on its hands are on the big side. And like I told PKMJay above, the folded wing doesn't seem to be proper, as it doesn't function like feathered wings that can bend more easily. Bats could be a good creature to study if you want some real life examples. Overall, I find the pose rather lacking since Char X as a whole is facing away from the viewer, so it'll make for a lesser impression. But keep trying, this looks good for a first attempt.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gah, hate to be so finicky, but would it be possible to try a Mega Beedrill entry? I think it's UU right now, so it should work, right?

Regardless, everyone's entry's look so awesome! *-* Really excited to see what people can come up with next!

Initial sketch and some simple shading for m-alt, Ignore my handwriting. Sorry for the bad quality, I've not got a scanner, so I had to take the pic with my webcam, but this is just for opinions on the pose anyway, is it too vanilla? I feel like something more dynamic for alt would be hard to fit in the circle.
Digital version coming soon.

working on sylveon and ttar rn

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gah, hate to be so finicky, but would it be possible to try a Mega Beedrill entry? I think it's UU right now, so it should work, right?
As much of a Beedrill homeboy that I am, its presence in OU isn't as solid as it could be since there are already so many megas to choose from. It wasn't brought up when we discussed what mons to feature, and even though it has made a large climb to UU, OU has proven to be little too much. Its speed is magnificent, but you can only go so far with low-powered moves and a SR weak pivot.

Initial sketch and some simple shading for m-alt, Ignore my handwriting. Sorry for the bad quality, I've not got a scanner, so I had to take the pic with my webcam, but this is just for opinions on the pose anyway, is it too vanilla? I feel like something more dynamic for alt would be hard to fit in the circle.
The main body would fit well in there, so proceed as usual, but it does seem rather relaxed and not as energic as it could be.

As a reminder, there's now roughly a week left of the contest. I can see myself extending it if certain artists need a little more time to be fully eligible, but seeing as there are other artists who have completed their sets, I wouldn't count on an extension.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Will do, Bummer. I'll come up with something else.

In the meantime I have a couple of sketches for my Mega-Sableye design (red)- feedback would be appreciated!

Note to self: will be doing Cham/Cross (blue) and Gross/Gallade (green)

EDIT: more sketches!

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
View attachment 46646View attachment 46647View attachment 46649
All 3 of my images, I'll probably update this if I want more entries.
Fantastic job on the Mega Scizor, that is just a great pose. :)

I do think there's something a bit off about the way your Venusaur is posed, though. Hard to explain, but I tried illustrating it:

The angle of Venusaur's head in your picture doesn't make much sense. Venusaur has an extremely wide, large head, and literally no neck to speak of, so if its head was actually turned at the angle you've shown, it would be clipping through its own body and leg! The way you've drawn it gives the feeling that Venusaur does have a long-ish neck, which would allow it to turn its head at such an angle, but alas, that is not the case :[ Other than that, though, this picture looks fantastic-- rich colours and dynamic (albeit a little rough) lines. Loving it! :)

My second entry will be mega gallade! Still debating my last entry :/ I changed up the stance from the last time to give it more of a presence. Any suggestions on this one?

Attachments

Mega Scizor.png
Mega Charizard X.png
Mega Gallade.png

WELL! I'm done with my entries which are M-ZardX, M-Scizor, and M-Gallade. I would want feedback and edit these guys but sadly school life drags me out and I don't have time for edits cuz homework, but feedback is still very much welcome, so I can use them feedbacks for future stuffings. Anyways, I was gonna include a gem-surfing M-Sableye but as I said, no time. That's all from me, good luck everyone!!!!

P.S.: I dunno how to attach a file. So please help.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I was debating whether to come out of hibernation and participate in this, considering there was only a day left.

But screw it, I'm entering.
Here's my first image:

The rest will follow in a few hours
Here's the rest:

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
And with that, the deadline has been met. Thanks to everyone who has participated! The people who will have their art displayed on the frontpage will soon get a PM from me with the circles added to their pictures, and will thus have the otion to give some final feedback or make minor adjustments to their images before I make the final judgement. Stay tuned.

Thread locked. For further questions, feel free to PM me or write a message on my profile.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Unless something unforeseen happens, the winners will be announced tomorrow. Thank you for your patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)