narrative-driven music videos! (music -driven narratives?)

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[I feel like this should be a separate discussion from the Music thread and the Film thread because this is basically movies that hinge on meshing with their soundtracks, as well as portraying characters and plot within short periods of time. It's sort of a mix of both, and I think this is something pretty interesting that could be talked about within its own thread.]

I always enjoyed music videos that told a story, that are practically mini-movies accompanied by badass soundtracks. Do you have any music videos driven by narrative that you can think of? Why do you like or dislike them?

Try using hide tags/ links for people with slower computers (like me) and adding a short description of the story and/or genre so ppl know whether they want to watch or not. React to or discuss other videos' symbolism, filming techniques, or music if you'd like :)

Super intense video chronicling Jake Gyllenhaal's secret life as a hipster-murdering killing machine. Warning: Scenes of intense violence/action, disturbing imagery)
(rock music)

This is actually three songs turned into a trilogy of MV's about some random dude trying to figure out who's kidnapped his girlfriend. Interesting sort of 'convergence' sequence going on in part I, and some interesting transitions.
(electronic music)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I dunno if it's too obvious to bring up or too obvious not to, but still pretty much the king of music videos with a story. More genuine emotion than most 2-3 hour movies manage to capture.

I think this music video is fantastic, the story it depicts complements the music perfectly, creating a nice eerie vibe and also aligning well with the lyrics. Also they're pretty much my favourite band so yeah, worth checking out if you like rock.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Most coldplay videos, but one takes the cake. And I mean the best fucking cake there is. The cake to rule all cakes.

Hot damn tragic narrative, with a heart breaking twist.

There's no CGI, all the effects you see are prictical, which obviously means Chris Martin had to basically rehearse singing the song in rewind - which is also kind of incredible.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm not entirely sure if this fits, but this film clip was pretty obvious to me.

I won't describe it, because I couldn't do such an awesome clip justice by explaining it.

Shaka Brah

Banned deucer.
Definitely one of the most artistic music videos ever directed(hits the top of my "art of music videos" list), it manages to balance genius visual imagery depicting lines that are pretty hard for the average listener to comprehend with a narrative about life, love, and our capitalistic "Paper Chasin'" culture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)