Board Game Double Decker Diplomacy - G1 Over (E/F/G/I/R/T Draw), G2 Over (A/E/G Draw)

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Agape - Austria:
A Berlin - Silesia (*Disbanded*)

Bass - England:
A Burgundy - Paris (*Fails*)
F Edinburgh - North Sea (*Bounce*)
F English Channel Supports F Edinburgh - North Sea
F North Sea - Denmark
F Norwegian Sea - Norway
F Sweden Supports F North Sea - Denmark

UncleSam - France:
F Brest Supports F Mid-Atlantic Ocean
A Gascony - Marseilles (*Bounce*)
F Mid-Atlantic Ocean Supports F Brest
F Spain(sc) - Marseilles (*Bounce*)

Drawesome532 - Germany:
F Belgium Supports F Holland - North Sea
F Clyde - Liverpool
F Holland - North Sea (*Bounce*)
A Kiel - Berlin
A Munich - Burgundy (*Bounce*)
A Paris - Burgundy (*Bounce*)

moi - Italy:
F Adriatic Sea Hold
F Ionian Sea Supports F Trieste - Albania
F Trieste - Albania
A Venice Hold

Kiritsugu - Russia:
A Galicia Supports A Vienna - Bohemia
A Livonia - Prussia (*Bounce*)
A Moscow Hold
F St Petersburg(sc) Hold
A Warsaw - Prussia (*Bounce*)

Gale Wing Srock - Turkey:
F Aegean Sea - Greece
F Albania Supports F Aegean Sea - Greece (*Disbanded*)
A Budapest - Vienna
A Bulgaria - Rumania
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Greece - Serbia
A Silesia Supports A Kiel - Berlin
A Vienna - Bohemia

Austria has been eliminated. Agape has lost.

Adjustments needed:
Bass - England: Remove 1
UncleSam - France: Build 1
Drawesome532 - Germany: Build 1
Kiritsugu - Russia: Remove 1
Gale Wing Srock - Turkey: Build 2

Winter 1909 ends 24 hours from this post probably

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't think anyone really loses, I just think that this game was of such a manner that people would like a re-roll and Agape (understandably) didn't want to end it prematurely. I sympathize with his viewpoint but I think that it's a viewpoint that, while admirable in almost all diplomacy cases, doesn't really extend to what was basically a learning experience for most of us.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
"Postgame":
Agape was one of the most entertaining players to observe, making all sorts of risky gambles both tactically and diplomatically. Unfortunately for him, he was playing Austria.

Bass of course played very well tactically, fending off Drawesome despite an arguably inferior position after the stab. Diplomatically, he managed to make both Outlaw AND Aura Guardian ragequit, so make of that what you will.

UncleSam played very well given his overall inexperience, though early diplomatic blunders cost him much in the way of position. Lategame he orchestrated the draw-alliance, so he deserves props for that.

Drawesome532 exceeded my expectations to be quite honest, though he did manage to piss a few people off with regards to diplomacy. Being not from Smogon didn't help in that regard, I don't think.

moi was lazy as fuck but at least he didn't get wiped out

Kiritsugu played conservatively and aimed to avoid mistakes, which isn't too unusual for a newbie. He definitely could have played better (getting involved in the England-Germany war probably would have benefitted him) and had Gale been in a stabby mood he would have been fucked, but it could have gone much worse.

Gale Wing Srock somehow convinced the other players to let him expand from 2 supply centers to 9. I'm not quite sure how he does it but apparently he's quite good at the diplomatic aspect of the game.

all the players who subbed out are lame except for Da Letter El

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Drawesome532 played much better than I expected, though I still think that if he hadn't insisted on getting Belgium (despite not opening to even contest it??) I never would've felt the need to stab him in the first place. That being said I should've insisted DLE bounce Holland out and coordinated with Outlaw to threaten Berlin (though Outlaw moved to Baltic anyway as I recall, not because of anything I told him though). That would've been the optimal play and would've 100% resulted in a German loss by like 1903 at the latest.

I think that his stabbing Bass when he did was *ok*, but not optimal. He should've let Bass move his fleets one more season to the South, which would've ensured that A. France (me) would be mostly irrelevant for the rest of the game and B. He would've had an extra season to get his fleets into position and secure the North Sea in time to actually land an army on the English mainland.

Bass I don't blame for stabbing me, though I feel that given how things worked out it's fairly obvious he shouldn't have. It would've been easy to convince me to move against Italy in force while only having to give up Belgium/Holland for my help in taking all of Scandanavia, and there's very little chance I'd have adequately defended myself against the stab when it should've come, ie two or three years down the line.

Sorry for jerking you around a fair bit but to be fair you were by far the player I was least sure I could manipulate; so take this fact as a compliment I suppose?

Gale/moi/Kiritsugu all allied together with me pretty much the moment they subbed in so thanks for that, though it also sort of invalidated the game a bit in that this game was essentially just a learning experience for how to play the game and there was very little reason for anyone to make stabs or actually try to win. Thanks for cooperating and making sure none of us got the short end of the stick, though!

Agape I rarely talked to or took seriously throughout the game since I'm pretty sure he was the reason Drawesome went after me in the first place (and maybe Bass to a lesser extent? I sort of doubt Bass let Agape dictate his strategy though). You were sort of an easy target for Gale/moi/Kiritsugu to gang up on so sorry for getting them to ally like that, but something had to give SOMEWHERE on the map. No eliminations until 1909 is a really stalematey game, even for a bunch of new players.

I would've played this game massively differently if from the get-go I was both aware of general strategies for different countries as well as more in tune with the general diplomacy mindset. I still don't fully subscribe to the Richard Sharp school of thought that Bass/Agape do, but I appreciate it a lot more now and think that the next game played will probably be much more interesting and skill-based (rather than loyalty based, as this one basically was).

GG

Thanks for hosting, walrein.

I agree with Unclesam. Perhaps I should have loosened my gritty approach to this game and let the draw happen. I intended to force Gale stab Kiritsugu in the endgame, which would have taught them both about it. Oh well, sometime we'll get a real lategame on a Smogon diplomacy game!

My next week is utterly swamped and there needs to be a pause between diplo games, I'll put a thread up in mid-August about the next game.

Last edited:
I was surprised by how loyalty-based some of the alliances were. In retrospect, I should have predicted it due to new players and it was a clear diplomatic mistake on my part.

Gale's play really improved throughout the game, good job on that!

I actually ended up playing in a mafia game hosted by Kiritsugu over serene's forst. It was nice getting to know you, hopefully you'll play more games here on Smogon!

It was hilarious how the other players thought that UncleSam had a vendetta against me for the whole game.

Diplomacy between me and moi (pun not intended) started off horribly and I did nothing to fix that!

Bass was very active and talked to me till the end. We completely disagreed whether the G -> E stab was good play or not. It was interesting.

I agree that Drawesome's game was hurt from not being from Smogon, which meant he got a slow start. I'd have liked to see his diplomatic maneouvers in a E/G/T lategame.

I had only played Diplomacy twice before, both times in real life, and one of the games ended half way through because we realized it took way too long and just bailed on it. I had tried a new tactic where I thought if I was ballsy enough and had a good start, I would be able to advance my goals much easier than if I played conservatively. This unfortunately was not the case and did not work how I expected it to. My thought was "well, it worked during World War II".

Needless to say this was a great learning experience. I feel that because a lot of the other players seemed to be more experienced both on the Smogon forums/IRC and in the game of Diplomacy itself I was able to get a lot of valuable insight into both.

Anyways, good game everyone. It's been quite a roller coaster as some of my friends turned into enemies and back to friends in a very short time.

I look forward to the next game, I'm not active on Smogon so I guess I'll just rely on Walrein to give me a heads up on when the next game is(assuming I'm invited of course!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)