Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know what you're talking about. Once again the Japanese name explains the discrepancy; it's Comet Punch. Comets are not the same as meteors.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Deoxys can't learn Meteor Mash except through an event.
And worst Event ever. It was the Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Sign one where its a multiplayer mission which you need at least two people for (and it needed to be local wifi), only the leader of the mission got the Deoxys, and depending on what Forme Deoxys was defeated it depends on the moves you got. To get Meteor Mash (which was the one advertised, BTW) you needed to get Attack. "Well I'm sure the other Forms got a special move to, right"? Defense yes, Normal and Speed no. And even then Defense's special move is Detect which is just a copy of Protect which it learns via TM. SO if you were being fair not only would you need to play the mission for as many times as there was people helping you get the Deoxys since they probably also wanted their's BUT if you caught Deoxys in the wrong Forme you'd have to play through the mission again! Oh and I think it was like a 2.5 star mission or however they ranked a mission's difficulty which meant I hoped you were playing the pat missions enough so that you leveled up enough! WORST EVENT EVER!

I know what you're talking about. Once again the Japanese name explains the discrepancy; it's Comet Punch. Comets are not the same as meteors.
Comets may not be meteors but they're still objects in space. The point is Deoxys, an alien (or more specifically a virus from space) doesn't learn a space-related move despite space being its natural habitat. Clefairy is able to learn it, so why not Deoxys?

Karxrida

It's not really so much space-related anyway as it is "we wanted it to sound cool and powerful".

And Clefairy getting it is its own WTF.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's not really so much space-related anyway as it is "we wanted it to sound cool and powerful".

And Clefairy getting it is its own WTF.
While they did choose it because it sounded cool, they also did mean for it to be a reference to a comet. The biggest clue it its description:

Gen III: Fires a meteor-like punch. May raise Attack.
Gen IV: The foe is hit with a hard punch fired like a meteor. It may also raise the user’s Attack.
Gen V: The target is hit with a hard punch fired like a meteor. It may also raise the user's Attack.
Gen VI: The target is hit with a hard punch fired like a meteor. This may also raise the user's Attack stat.
While in the Japanese version it's probably "comet" instead of "meteor", still I doubt the description changes so they're clearly referencing the gaseous ice ball flying through space. In addition Meteor Mash could be considered the signature move of the Beldum family (or Metang and Metagross since they have limbs) and in addition to a super computer they too have space themes to them. Beldum looks space shuttle-like, Metang brings to mind UFOs, and Metagross looks like a those spider walking mechs aliens love to use in movies.

The other Pokemon who can learn Meteor Mash include Clefairy (a Pokemon often said to be an alien), Deoxys (a Pokemon who is an alien), and Jirachi (who while not an alien is connected to space and the Tanabata festival). Oh and Rock Star Cosplay Pikachu but that's because it sounds cool.

Though let's be fair here, if Deoxys should be able to learn Meteor Mash then the Beldum family should be able to learn Cosmic Power.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Wait, Zubat gets BRAVE BIRD?

Do you already see a Zubat doing THIS?

Oh Gamefreak. You always seem to surprise me.
I know I'm late to the reply party, but this does kinda concern the current topic of Meteor Mash Deoxys as well. This is the case of the move's name not actually representing what physically happens with the attack. Brave Bird has nothing to do with avian-like species, it's basically a aerial dive-bomb. Bats are capable of quick dives when catching airborne insects.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I know I'm late to the reply party, but this does kinda concern the current topic of Meteor Mash Deoxys as well. This is the case of the move's name not actually representing what physically happens with the attack. Brave Bird has nothing to do with avian-like species, it's basically a aerial dive-bomb. Bats are capable of quick dives when catching airborne insects.
Brave bird in Japanese is brave bird
It is actually from English

Venusaur can learn Knock Off. Like, I realize it would use its vines to do it, but can you imagine Mr. Frogsaur swiping at ANYTHING with its paws to take away their item?

Karxrida

Knock Off is just weird. I have no idea what the logic is for what gets it and what doesn't. I guess in Venusaur's case it's because vines can disarm people or something?

When it comes to things like cubone, i get it, but when smeargle uses bone rush does what i think happens really happen...?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
When it comes to things like cubone, i get it, but when smeargle uses bone rush does what i think happens really happen...?
Cubone and Marowak are literally holding a bone, Mandibuzz has a bone used as a hair bow and for whatever reason Lucario can create a bone out of aura (and no other Pokemon can use their elements to create magic bones, but oh well). Smeargle is the only Pokemon that can learn it who doesn't have bones feature as part of the design (or a reason given through the anime and manga). Regardless Smeargle can learn every move besides Chatter so it's clearly an anomaly. Plus chances are Smeargle just hardens its tail and hits the opponent with it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Cubone and Marowak are literally holding a bone, Mandibuzz has a bone used as a hair bow and for whatever reason Lucario can create a bone out of aura (and no other Pokemon can use their elements to create magic bones, but oh well). Smeargle is the only Pokemon that can learn it who doesn't have bones feature as part of the design (or a reason given through the anime and manga). Regardless Smeargle can learn every move besides Chatter so it's clearly an anomaly. Plus chances are Smeargle just hardens its tail and hits the opponent with it.
I like to think Smeargle literally draws its attacks into existence. How? I don't know, but when I image Smeargle using any attack other then sketch I see the attack looking like it's a drawing instead of made out of what element it is.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I actually wonder how a Pokemon would feel when you order them to use Explosion/ Final Gambit/ Healing Wish... etc.
What makes them willing to sacrifice themselves anyway?

Seriously though, since the Pokemon isn't dying (they're just exhausting all their energy in one final super move) they probably think its just a last ditch effort to win or help in winning the battle. In the wild if these could naturally learn these moves (like Voltorb) they're perfectly happy with just using it whenever they want and there's no trainer to use a Revive or take the to the Pokemon Center, they'll need to find a safe place and spend a day recuperating. At most they may get annoyed if the trainer commands them to do it when they don't need to (like in Dorkly's video any attack from Voltorb probably would have knocked out that Pidgey), but they do it anyway either because they trust in their trainer, if the trainer is going to make such a silly decision they don't want to be in a battle, or decide if they need to go out they'll do so in a bang.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)