Pokkén Tournament

Guys, remember Operation Rainfall, the (successful) campaign for a Western release of Xenoblade Chronicles? Well, I would honestly expect an announcement that Pokken Tournament won't be localised (which I still don't think will happen but is getting more plausible with every passing day) to get the same sort of response.

But if you are a game designer, out of curiosity is it harder to make a game more attractive to a country that you did not plan to focus on deeply?
Sort of, sort of not. Take Metroid Other M, for example: a Metroid intended to appeal to the Japanese audience (linear gameplay, large number of cutscenes and heavy character focus) but it went down like a lead balloon elsewhere.

This is somewhat different though, since both Pokemon and Tekken have always been popular everywhere I think a fusion of the two would naturally inherit that.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Arcades aren't exactly super huge outside of Japan anymore. I think it's safe to assume a console version will come out in the international market.

Arcades aren't exactly super huge outside of Japan anymore. I think it's safe to assume a console version will come out in the international market.
Never assume Nintendo will make a sensible business decision. These are the guys who deliberately produced fewer Amiibo than there was a demand for because apparently they are allergic to making money.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Never assume Nintendo will make a sensible business decision. These are the guys who deliberately produced fewer Amiibo than there was a demand for because apparently they are allergic to making money.
One could argue that was a smart decision to create artificial scarcity and increase demand, ensuring the popular amiibos were sold out and making a large profit.

One could argue that was a smart decision to create artificial scarcity and increase demand, ensuring the popular amiibos were sold out and making a large profit.
Well at least Nintendo could have manufactured more of the things when the artificial scarcity had had the desired effect. All Nintendo's marketing strategy resulted in was rare Amiibo being traded on the black market for much higher than their registered retail price. So the amiibo were making plenty of money, but just not for Nintendo.

Anyway, I can think of plenty of other examples of Nintendo making bad decisions. Demanding a cut of the profits of YouTubers/Twitch players who are playing their games is another ridiculous decision. These guys are giving them free advertising, and if Nintendo try to take their cut they may just stop playing Nintendo games because there is more money to be had elsewhere.

In short, I will not be convinced that Pokken Tournament will be coming to Wii U until it is official. Nintendo have done too many dumb things in the past (though I still love them, they're like an ex who can be a total arsehole but just... does things to me).

In short, I will not be convinced that Pokken Tournament will be coming to Wii U until it is official. Nintendo have done too many dumb things in the past (though I still love them, they're like an ex who can be a total arsehole but just... does things to me).
WELL FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY

"During the Pokémon World Championships Opening Ceremony, it was revealed that the arcade game, Pokkén Tournament, is to make it to the west with a special Wii U version of the game."
~Serebii

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Last edited:
I mean, every fighting game has it's selection of clone characters. Besides, considering how low-key Pikachu Libre's reveal was I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of the new characters.

Cresselia~~

Wow, Pikachu Libre is the stupidest decision in terms of character rosters since Mario Kart 8. Pikachu Libre is already similar to Hawlucha, it makes no sense to give two slots to Pikachu and not one of them to Hawlucha.
They really should have used Hawlucha.
He had a lot of Twitter votes. They should have listened.
I remember Hawlucha was under Weavile but more than Mr. Mime (which also had a lot of votes)

I mean, we don't know if Hawlucha will be in or not - just because Pikachu Libre follows the same sort of fighting style means nothing, really.
Imo I think it's similar to Smash's Lucina/Dr. Mario/Dark Pit - they were just put in at the last second as a nice little extra with some changed properties. To me Pikachu Libre looks like a clone of Pikachu (for obvious reasons) with a few different attacks... but, that's just speculation. The reason I give relatively baseless speculation here in a forum against baseless speculation is to combat the relatively baseless speculation that Pikachu Libre means Hawlucha or anything else won't be in the game, or that it took a roster space away from anything else. We really don't know enough about the character to come to any real conclusions at this point.

for the record lucina > marth

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Didn't they say they want to keep adding in new fighters? Hawlucha could be in the works... of course Pikachu Libre kind of took its schtick. Like I wouldn't mind the Cosplay Pikachu being a clone fighter (Rock Star being Lucario, Belle being Suicune, Pop Star being Gardevoir, PH. D being Gengar, and Libre being Hawlucha), but I'd prefer they release the original Pokemon first. There's a difference between in Smash showing off the Punch Out stage before revealing Little Mac and in Pokken having Pikachu Libre show off lucha libre moves before revealing Hawlucha.

Is there a list of the Pokemon who got a lot of votes?

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Imo the console release was a given. Now I just need to get a Wii-U so I can play this thing when it comes out.

Hopefully they revamp the roster and add Pokemon that you wouldn't expect in a fighting game (Suicune, Gardevoir, Gengar).

Cresselia~~

Is there a list of the Pokemon who got a lot of votes?
Counting on Twitter is difficult, especially when there's no program.

If I remember correctly...

Gengar (most, excluding Magnemite trolls)
Hawlucha
Weavile (Didn't get as many as Hawlucha, but maybe they wanted to show her some love)
Mr. Mime (Yes, Mr. Mime had more than Gallade)
Gallade
Lopunny (Yes, Lopunny had fewer than Gallade)
Garchomp

The others are just scattered votes that looks completely random, I think they are insignificant.
Most Pokemon only had one or zero votes.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Counting on Twitter is difficult, especially when there's no program.

If I remember correctly...

Gengar (most, excluding Magnemite trolls)
Hawlucha
Weavile (Didn't get as many as Hawlucha, but maybe they wanted to show her some love)
Mr. Mime (Yes, Mr. Mime had more than Gallade)
Gallade
Lopunny (Yes, Lopunny had fewer than Gallade)
Garchomp

The others are just scattered votes that looks completely random, I think they are insignificant.
Most Pokemon only had one or zero votes.
They probably picked Weavile for type representation. Honestly if those are the only ones that got a significant amount of votes they'll probably be announced/added later since that's only 5 more Pokemon. They also probably don't want to over saturate it with Fighting-types but, come on, its a FIGHTING tournament, this is their bread and butter! Surprised that Mewtwo, Heracross, Pangoro (if they also include an Ursaring we can have Pokemon versions of Panda and Kuma, it is a Tekken game afterall except with Pokemon), Breloom (speaking of which, Roger expy?), and the other part Fighting-type starters didn't get many. Also I would have though a lot of the Pokemon with Mega Evolutions and Legendaries would have garnered a lot of votes. *shrugs*

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
They probably picked Weavile for type representation. Honestly if those are the only ones that got a significant amount of votes they'll probably be announced/added later since that's only 5 more Pokemon. They also probably don't want to over saturate it with Fighting-types but, come on, its a FIGHTING tournament, this is their bread and butter! Surprised that Mewtwo, Heracross, Pangoro (if they also include an Ursaring we can have Pokemon versions of Panda and Kuma, it is a Tekken game afterall except with Pokemon), Breloom (speaking of which, Roger expy?), and the other part Fighting-type starters didn't get many. Also I would have though a lot of the Pokemon with Mega Evolutions and Legendaries would have garnered a lot of votes. *shrugs*
I think that they are definitely thinking about type representation, which might be why they're not putting Mr. Mime in -- they already put in Gardevoir, and they're the same types. I don't think that should be how they are doing things though, because Mr. Mime would have a really interesting mimey playstyle (playing somewhat defensively with moves like Light Screen and Reflect could actually be something new and different) and really past the slight hate upon the game's release of fans of a certain type crying about their Pokemon of their type not getting in, that's not how they should be doing it. And regardless, I can think of a few Pokemon in each type that would fit in the game really bloody well, but Mr. Mime is about the only other Fairy-Type I can see being mobile enough to function properly.

Also I do feel the need to bring up the fact that we're getting the first incomplete Nintendo game. By that I mean they KNOW that the game won't have enough content when they release it, but they're still going to release it at full price, and then probably add enough DLC to make players essentially by the game twice money-wise. Before now Nintendo has been really good in terms of DLC prices; I would actually pay a lot more for the Mario Kart 8 DLC for example, and I think they grossly underpriced it... and they also gave 200cc to everyone for free, which lost them about £3 per player. A part of me doesn't want this game to do well so that Nintendo doesn't see this third party company's DLC plan making them a load of money and then having Nintendo replicate it in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)