Is it possible for you to intentionally change your tastes?

RODAN

Banned deucer.
me and shade were discussing this, i feel that your tastes can change on your own but you cant force them. I'd never really thought of this before this discussion so i'd like to hear other peoples takes on this!

sorry that this is only one line im not really good at longposts or anything outside of basic content

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
me and shade were discussing this, i feel that your tastes can change on your own but you cant force them. I'd never really thought of this before this discussion so i'd like to hear other peoples takes on this!

sorry that this is only one line im not really good at longposts or anything outside of basic content
There is empirical data on this. The answer is Yes.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
one potential factor is that your tastebuds change over time: children have no intolerance for sweet and are very sensitive to bitter, so getting used to a new flavour could just be that you've become more tolerant of its bitterness

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
absolutely yes. I've been talking to a few m8s about this and we all agreed that we grew accustomed to and eventually liked eating bland/gross healthy food (like plain oats, greek yoghurt/low fat & sugar food etc) after forcing ourselves to eat them over an extended period of time.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I thought this thread was about like artistic tastes and whatnot but it's about food...

I don't know maybe? Why not? Who cares what you shove in your mouth... I don't.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
it isnt about food fuck internet, its about general tastes. like art, music etc. i guess food could be a byproduct of this.

also did everyone think it was about food because i posted it because thats rude

at first i did think it was about food but not just bc u posted it : )

i do think you can forcibly change your preferences overtime but then are they truly your actual preferences?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
When it comes to food, i dunno. I don't think I'll ever like tomatoes or onions.

For other things, probably. A year ago I was a close-minded metalhead and would refuse and dislike almost everything else with a few exceptions, now I listen to other stuff more than I listen to metal.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
why would you force yourself to change your music or art or whatever taste do what u want live how u want etc. i think your taste can change overtime cause life + different perspectives/influences but forcibly changing your taste sounds really dumb

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
why would you force yourself to change your music or art or whatever taste do what u want live how u want etc. i think your taste can change overtime cause life + different perspectives/influences but forcibly changing your taste sounds really dumb
Actually thinking over it again it wasn't really forcible, I just started listening to more kinds of music on my own @_@ so i guess it doesn't fit with the context of the thread

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
If it's music or art, then I think sometimes, facts or news you've learnt about them can change your mind.
For example, maybe you've learnt that the artists of this particular style usually engage in some unacceptable behavior, then you sometimes might stop liking them anymore.

I think tastes about different stuff are...imprinted/embedded (? fk eigo) in you at a young age usually through some emotionally intense experience and can only be changed/expanded through the same way.

Having a major crush during your childhood will probably make you declare at a later age that you love x or y race/features when you are just really searching for crush.2, listening to Sonic and Mario music may lead to you listening and loving similar music when growing up (electronic, funk or bass heavy tunes), colors...favorite toy, TV show character (power rangers) etc.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
With enough time and focus you can learn to appreciate anything and become sophisticated enough to determine what's "best" in the genre.

I'm not sure I could ever force myself to try to like One Direction or, for a high class alternative, Ellsworth Kelly. But if I really tried, yeah I'm sure I could.

Likes and dislikes are never wholly innate anyway - there's always context. Change the context and you can change your opinion.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
well if you force yourself to eat/experience something you don't like long enough, you're bound to grow tolerant of it and perhaps even come to accept it eventually

and miracleberries can very intentionally change your perception of taste

I guess it depends on what you mean by tastes, but generally if you're exposed to it long enough, you probably will eventually adapt and get used to it even if it takes a long while.

Though I'm not about to test that with myself and something I hate like ranch dressing, seriously just the smell of that is enough to start making me gag slightly and look for somewhere to go away from it.

I think it's possible, but only if you really want to change your taste. I mean, if it's something you don't like, you have to want very much and try with persistence. I, for example, never liked classic music, but I really wanted to like it, since I needed to understand it and "feel it" for my music graduation. So, I tried. I started hearing some concerts of instruments I like, such as flute and clarinet. Once I learned to appreciate those, I began hearing other instruments. Now, I like classic music as a whole and find it more pleasant than the rhythms I was accustomed to.

So, answering your question, yes, it's possible. It all depends on you.

Uhh, yeah, this thing happened to me too. I wasn't a big fan of coffee, or any other bitter thing, for that matter. So, I kinda force-tried it, and now I actually like it. So, yes, tastes do change. I'm not a big fan of sweet things anymore.

But it could be that I'm just addicted...hmm...who cares. I love what I eat, and eat what I love

I guess you can change your tastes but I never tried to force something onto myself. I've only had the experience of associating some tastes with bad memories and then it changes tastes into something worse than they actually are. I remember I used to love bologna as a kid until this one annoying kid started eating it with his mouth open all the time. It pissed me off and I immediately hated bologna and always associated that memory with eating the food. I guess that somehow also affected the taste because bologna would taste worse and worse each time I would eat it after I had met that kid. Now, I haven't eaten bologna and liked it since I was like 8, or almost a decade ago.

I have done this with sweet potato I hated it and I heard it was the healthiest food so I decided to eat it every time I had it for dinner and now I love it, but I still dislike pumpkin even though it's kinda similar? I think we just adapt to what we are exposed to frequently and most likely to the extent where we can enjoy something we once hated if we are exposed to it enough.

This has been done a lot with music and food it seems but it would be interesting to try this with something more practical like studying, I always put off studying and get bored super easy maybe if I make it a priority and pretend to enjoy it I eventually will? I might test that out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)