Primal Battle [Online Competition]

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Thursday, September 17, 2015, at 00:00 UTC - Thursday, September 24, 2015, at 23:59 UTC
The Legendary Pokémon Groudon and Kyogre are ready to join the action in the Primal Battle Online Competition! In this competition, in addition to the standard Pokémon you can include, Groudon and Kyogre will also be permitted. All battles are Double Battles played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. You may not bring in Pokémon from earlier games via Poké Transporter. All Pokémon above Lv. 50 will be lowered to Lv. 50 for the duration of the match.
Competition Rules
• This competition uses the Double Battle format.
• Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 719, with the exception of the following: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Diancie.
• Players may use only Pokémon found, caught, hatched from an Egg, or received through a special promotion in Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter cannot participate in this competition.
• Register 4–6 of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon above Lv. 50 in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Only four of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box can be used during each match.
• A 20-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select four Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.
So we have a new online competition coming up, and it's an interesting one by the looks: The pool of allowed Pokémon is identical to standard Battle Spot Doubles, except for the inclusion of Groudon and Kyogre! It'll be really interesting to see how these additions shake up the format - what are your predictions for the prevalent teams and Pokémon?

[This is where cant say is going to put his handy registration guide]

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Damnit ethan06...I was about to post this. But anyway, I'm 100% entering this and I should probably be able to actually play this time! I like that the rules aren't too gimmicky, just standard Double battles with Kyogre and Groudon allowed. Kind of like the competition we had a bit earlier this year, but without all legendaries allowed. Which I like, I find Groudon and Kyogre way easier to deal with than having Xerneas and Mega Rayquaza running around everywhere.

Seeing as I didn't use either of these last competition, what are some sets that work for these guys in doubles? Is it worth it to try to use both? Is Adamant Groudon usable or should I try to go for a mixed one?

Also 15 games per day? Are these still 3 day competitions? Wonder why they made the change (I believe it was like this in Pikachu Cup too judging from the scores I saw people post).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Groudon + Cresselia.

Trick Room + Gravity + Helping Hand + Precipice Blades.

You have to be ready to play against this strategy otherwise you won't do very good. It was one of the premier strategies in the last two doubles competitions with legendaries, so with only these two allowed I feel like it'll be a big one.

Actually, this meta will be so well prepared for both Groudon / Kyogre, it may not even be worth bringing them. I actually think there'll be a lot of (almost) standard VGC teams being used thinking that they can still beat the "OP" legendaries haha.

I have no idea whether I'll actually compete (I'm not a doubles player by any means), and if I do, what I'll actually run. I'll probably use Kyogre since it's basically the only legend I haven't used in a Battle Spot comp yet, and since we're limited in our choices it seems like as good a time as any! I'll probably just look through some cool VGC teams and see what I can replace with Kyogre :toast:

Yeah, its a little unsettling how this competition is almost identical to Battlespot Doubles. Some teams, with just a simple group of strong Pokemon might not have any trouble at all at simply replacing x with Groudon and/or Kyogre. Oh hey! You can use BOTH Groudon and Kyogre on the same team, right?

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was bored in class and thought of a few fun ideas.

1: Running Brick Break on Tyranitar or Landorus-T or something. Can combine this with Rock Slide too if you wanna go Scarf or so. But Brick Break is there to deal with Screeners and since Tyranitar is Dark-type it can kill most Psychic users of it. (As you can tell, I got owned hard by Skore last comp with his Dual Screens) This is obviously a more situational thing if you see from team preview that you're facing a screens team.
2: I'm definitely going to use Wide Guard Swampert, I think that can deal with Groudon (and Kyogre to a lesser extent). I have a shiny Modest Swampert from tennisace that I never trained so I think it'd work great here. Kinda takes care of the thing cant say mentioned if done right.

I feel like to successfully team build for this competition you can go one of two ways, standard.standard which is trickroom or you can build your team to beat trickroom teams. I'm bringing Lickilicky back because its the Generation showdown all over again (kinda)

I don't think I'll do very well in this competition because it's very similar to ordinary battle spot which I'm not very good at:( but I'm still going to try. I'm thinking of using a typical scarf Kyogre with something with cloud nine. However I might have primal Groudon as an alternate option.
Edit: I just realized cloud nine would negate the rain making this strategy a lot less effective so maybe it would best to lead without cloud nine, and if my opponent switches in or leads with Groudon then bring in cloud nine to ko Groudon.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll do very well in this competition because it's very similar to ordinary battle spot which I'm not very good at:( but I'm still going to try. I'm thinking of using a typical scarf Kyogre with something with cloud nine. However I might have primal Groudon as an alternate option.
Edit: I just realized cloud nine would negate the rain making this strategy a lot less effective so maybe it would best to lead without cloud nine, and if my opponent switches in or leads with Groudon then bring in cloud nine to ko Groudon.
For Cloud Nine pokes there is literally 3 evolution lines, Golduck (Complete Trash), Altaria (Loses affect when megas so bad) and Lickilicky which is okay with support (I used it in Generation Showdown). So if that is your main strategy I would try Lickilicky.

For Cloud Nine pokes there is literally 3 evolution lines, Golduck (Complete Trash), Altaria (Loses affect when megas so bad) and Lickilicky which is okay with support (I used it in Generation Showdown). So if that is your main strategy I would try Lickilicky.
Lickylicky Is definitely a good option. I am also considering Altaria though because It resists both primals in normal form. Also, I can't test until I get back from vacation but in the past in users doubles, I usually only need rayquaza's air lock (In this case cloud nine) for one turn to get rid of Groudon when I'm using scarf kyogre, so switching in, and then mega evolving the next turn could work. But I'm not even fully committed to this especially because I don't currently have a decent Kyogre.

By the way, what is everyone voting for in the November Competition. I voted for the doubles inverse, because it would be a completely new concept competitively but the others sound mostly interesting.
Sorry I forgot to check for the proper thread.

Last edited:
What? Italian Version says the tour is in single battle format. Stupid translators. I think I'll use sun with venusaur. If the battle is between Kyogre and Groudon i think switches are the way to delete enemy's weather. Kyogre is weak against volt switch and Groudon usually is slower than Kyogre. Groudon wins.

Or, anyway, this is what I am thinking. :P
Maybe Speed Control/ trick room sun: Groudon - Venusaur - Cresselia.

Last edited:
Does ANYTHING ohko and outspeed pgroudon in intense sun in this format?
252 SpA Golduck Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 244-292 (117.8 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 203-242 (98 - 116.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
252 SpA Golduck Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 244-292 (117.8 - 141%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 203-242 (98 - 116.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Golduck is slower than fast Groudons and just dies lol. It can go scarfed I guess, but that's not really practical.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Do we know if Soul Dew is allowed? Or will we have to guess as usual? :/
Looks like we'll just have to guess (unless I'm missing where it says otherwise), but given this is basically Battle Spot Doubles featuring Groudon and Kyogre it seems like a safe assumption that they wouldn't free Soul Dew for this. Even though Soul Dew Lati@s would be awesome for those two.

I'm thinking of reviving the core from my Enter the Dragon Type team, which was a Trick Room team with Groudon. However, my TR-setter was Dialga. It seems like the best replacement would be Cresselia, but I'm not sure how likely it is that I'll be able to find the Crescent Isle in time. Does anyone have any suggestions for a next-best TR setting poke if RNGesus isn't in my favour?

I suggest Musharna or Reuniclus should you not obtain a suitable Cress in time. Neither are as bulky, but they hit a good deal harder and can also run the same support moves Groudon may want them to use, like Helping Hand and Gravity.

I suggest Musharna or Reuniclus should you not obtain a suitable Cress in time. Neither are as bulky, but they hit a good deal harder and can also run the same support moves Groudon may want them to use, like Helping Hand and Gravity.
Thanks, BlakDragon. I was thinking Reuniclus as he's always been a favourite of mine, but Musharna is an interesting alternative. My mind is going down all sorts of paths now, even thinking a SandRoom team with Reuniclus, Groudon, maybe M-Steelix, as Reuniclus is immune to Sandstorm with Magic Guard.

EDIT: Just realised how stupid that is considering Primal Groudon makes his own weather... Derp.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm thinking of reviving the core from my Enter the Dragon Type team, which was a Trick Room team with Groudon. However, my TR-setter was Dialga. It seems like the best replacement would be Cresselia, but I'm not sure how likely it is that I'll be able to find the Crescent Isle in time. Does anyone have any suggestions for a next-best TR setting poke if RNGesus isn't in my favour?
If you want a cloned perfect relaxed cresselia, send me a PM. I SR'd for one back in spring.

Hulavuta

By the way, what is everyone voting for in the November Competition. I voted for the doubles inverse, because it would be a completely new concept competitively but the others sound mostly cool as well.
Let's keep discussion of this to the dedicated thread we have for it, no need to talk about it here too!

Anyway, I'm also considering discarding my old standby Hydreigon in favor of some of my lesser used Pokemon like Reuniclus (one of my favorites) and Swampert in a Trick Room team. Might even try some fun stuff with Mega Venusaur alongside Primal Groudon. Also, is there any point to using Tyranitar in this competition or is he just outclassed by everything else? I was thinking of some sort of Scarf Rock Slide set.

Let's keep discussion of this to the dedicated thread we have for it, no need to talk about it here too!

Anyway, I'm also considering discarding my old standby Hydreigon in favor of some of my lesser used Pokemon like Reuniclus (one of my favorites) and Swampert in a Trick Room team. Might even try some fun stuff with Mega Venusaur alongside Primal Groudon. Also, is there any point to using Tyranitar in this competition or is he just outclassed by everything else? I was thinking of some sort of Scarf Rock Slide set.
If you want scarf Rock Slide I'd go Landorus-T because the sand won't be useful and the Speed/Intimidate help a lot

Hulavuta

If you want scarf Rock Slide I'd go Landorus-T because the sand won't be useful and the Speed/Intimidate help a lot
Yeah, that's why I was thinking I'd make use of Dark moves somehow to justify using Tyranitar lol. I was thinking about maybe using SlowTar in Trick Room but that doesn't seem like a great idea either. Could deal with Cresselia I guess, but eh I'm not really sure.

Guys if you need groudon or kyogre i'm glad to clone my ones (from hoopa's film)

Sorry, think like if I never said something

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)