Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

JYou have a point. Still, it stands out in the sea of marshmellowy cute creatures that learn the move for being, well... not so marshmellowy.
Not much competition in that respect, except from Furfrou which is most definitely not a puppy.

Oh, and Purugly. The irony.

Also keep in mind evolutions not learning the move but retaining it, such as Azumarill, Beartic and Ursaring. Tyrantrum actually retaining the ability to learn it by level-up tops these, but black bears don't throw tantrums. If black bears get upset, some mon gon die. (Excuse me, faint.)

Reactions: JES
The only Pokémon that can learn Hex by level-up that aren't Ghost type are Vulpix and the Tentacool line.

Now, Vulpix can be explained away by it having mystical powers and such, but what about Tentacool and Tentacruel? They learn plenty of Water and Poison type attacks, and then BAM, here's a Ghost type move for you!

Well, the Japanese name for Hex is actually 'Evil Eye', so this does grant Tentacruel some leeway in giving it this move, other than giving it some coverage to combine with its poisoning abilities.

Those eyes wouldn't win any beauty contests, but it may stretch further than that.

Even the protuberance under its eyes look like a hooked nose. Now, who do we know also has a crooked or hooked nose in stereotypical fiction? Witches, who are known for their mystical and dark powers.

GG, GameFreak, GG.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The only Pokémon that can learn Hex by level-up that aren't Ghost type are Vulpix and the Tentacool line.

Now, Vulpix can be explained away by it having mystical powers and such, but what about Tentacool and Tentacruel? They learn plenty of Water and Poison type attacks, and then BAM, here's a Ghost type move for you!

Well, the Japanese name for Hex is actually 'Evil Eye', so this does grant Tentacruel some leeway in giving it this move, other than giving it some coverage to combine with its poisoning abilities.

Those eyes wouldn't win any beauty contests, but it may stretch further than that.

Even the protuberance under its eyes look like a hooked nose. Now, who do we know also has a crooked or hooked nose in stereotypical fiction? Witches, who are known for their mystical and dark powers.

GG, GameFreak, GG.
I think that's a bit of a stretch. It probably has more to do with its glowing red bulby-thingies, which we are often told glow in the dark and hypnotize prey, etc etc. So I guess it would make sense that their powers extend into the realm of the occult as well.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've decided to look through all the Pokemon moves (going by type). Don't worry, I'm just going to post 10 oddities at a time:

Acupressure (Point Strike in Japan) is oddly not learned by some spiky Pokemon like Sandslash, Jolteon, Qwilfish, Samurott, Boldore & Gigalith, Excadrill, Ferroseed family and the Chespin family. Meanwhile Shuckle somehow can get it as an Egg Move.

Assist is an odd move as its Japanese name is "Cat's Paw" so obviously mostly cat-like Pokemon learn it. Now at first it was intended to be the Skitty family's Signature Move. But in Gen IV the Glameow family was given it and then the Purrloin family. But yet Meowth and Espurr need to learn it as an Egg move. Also the Legendary Beasts, Absol, Shinx family, Mienfoo family, Litleo family, and Volcaneon don't learn it at all. Also I didn't know tapirs (Drowzee), ferrets (Sentret), weasels (Sneasel), red pandas (Spinda), and chimps (Chimchar) were felines.

Considering it has a shield you'd think Chesnaught and Aegislash would get Block. Aegislash doesn't get Mean Look so it would not be like it'll have a redundant move.

Why doesn't the Yanma family not get Boomburst? Actually you'd think any Pokemon that can learn Sonic Boom would be able to learn Boomburst.

Though it can learn it by TM, still I think the Chinchou family probably should be able to learn Captivate (called Allure in Japanese).

The only Pokemon with multiple arms that can learn Comet Punch (Consecutive Punch in Japanese) is the Ledyba family. No Graveler, Machamp, Metagross, Cofragrigus, Ferrothorn, Diggersby, Barbaracle, nor Hoopa.

Constrict (Coil Around in Japanese) is a bit misnamed in both languages. When you hear Constrict/Coil you think of snakes yet no long bodied Pokemon can learn it. In actuality the move means long limbed Pokemon who have tentacles or vines. I think it should be called Tangle Up/Entangle in that case.

On a similar note, Glare (Snake's Glare in Japanese) is only learned by snake/serpent-like Pokemon yet Onix family, Gyarados, Dratini family, and Milotic can't learn it. Also Snivy only gets it as an Egg Move. And how in the world does Druddigon and Helioptile count as a snake?

Why is Growth not a Grass-type move? All the Pokemon who naturally learn it are part Grass-types. Is it because some non-Grass-types can get it as an Egg Move? Also why do these Pokemon, Illumise and Numel, get it?

Scyther, Kabutops, Armaldo, Absol, Gallade, Samurott, Honedge family don't learn Guillotine. "BUT WAIT!", you say, "It's Japanese name is PINCER Guillotine". True, but for Scyther, Kabutops, and Armaldo its blade arms are its pincers. Not only that, wouldn't Mawile and the Clauncher family be able to learn it? Finally if they were strictly sticking to Pincers then why are the Axew and Pawniard family able to learn it?

Scyther, Kabutops, Armaldo, Absol, Gallade, Samurott, Honedge family don't learn Guillotine. "BUT WAIT!", you say, "It's Japanese name is PINCER Guillotine". True, but for Scyther, Kabutops, and Armaldo its blade arms are its pincers. Not only that, wouldn't Mawile and the Clauncher family be able to learn it? Finally if they were strictly sticking to Pincers then why are the Axew and Pawniard family able to learn it?
I think at the very least the Honedge family not getting it can be explained by Honedge and Doublade having the ability No Guard. Game Freak can be pretty stupid at times but I don't think they'd do something that insane.

Is Scarf Honedge ruining the meta?!

How do you think they stock the stores?
Ah, so more like that curiosity shop fellow from majora's mask, hmm?

GG, GameFreak, GG.
Perhaps Game Freak decided that their original jellyfish mons needed some love. Or, as brightobject said, the glowing things, as Tentacruel already has access to "glowing magic" type moves like Dazzling Gleam and Mirror Coat--although it can't learn Flash.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think at the very least the Honedge family not getting it can be explained by Honedge and Doublade having the ability No Guard. Game Freak can be pretty stupid at times but I don't think they'd do something that insane.

Is Scarf Honedge ruining the meta?!
Maybe they should make it so that No Guard and the moves that make moves not miss don't work on OHKO moves, those moves operate in their own unique way anyway so it wouldn't be out of question. And also since Aegislash has a special signature Ability I don't see why it can't learn it.

And I don't know, is it?

You'd think all Pokemon with horns would learn Horn Attack and there's a lot of Pokemon with horns. Me mentioning this obviously means the following horned Pokemon can't learn Horn Attack: Weedle (yeah Kakuna and Beedrill don't have a horn, but if Primeape can get Iron Tail from Mankey I think they can adapt too), Seel family, Cloyster, Pinsir, Lapras, Dratini family, Spinarak family, Corsola, Stantler, Wurmple (see Weedle above), Aggron, Absol, Glalie, Empoleon, Rampardos, Shieldon, Mamoswine (though it can get it from Piloswine), Samurott,
Boldore & Gigalith, Excadrill, Venipede family, Whimsicott, Deerling family, Axew family, Pawniard family, Swords of Justice (who are also Pokemon that probably should get Guillotine), Chespin family, Skiddo family, Phantump family, Xerneas, and Hoopa. Special mention goes to Karrablast who gets it as an Egg Move. Meanwhile Omanyte is able to learn it despite not having spikes on its body until it evolves into Omastar.

How in the world does Poliwrath/Poliwag, Hitmonlee/Tyrogue, Breloom, the Nincada family, Surskit, Reselia/Budew, Sewaddle, Shelmet, and Froakie use Mind Reader? For one thing it sounds like a Psychic-type move yet more Fighting-types learn it. Now you can read your opponent's body language to predict their movements, but that's more like a Body Read than using their mind to sense the opponent's movements.

You'd think Ninetales, Groudon, Pokemon who evolve via Sun Stone, and Pokemon who learn Sunny Day natrually would be able to use Morning Sun as well.

I imagine Pokemon who can get Pick Up would be able to learn Pay Day.

Jigglypuff family, Golem, Voltorb family, Omanyte family, Bellossom, Ludicolo, Wormadam, Bronzor family, Ferroseed family, and Klink family shouldn't have a problem learning Rapid Spin.

Razor Wind and Sneasel are both based on the same Japanese myth. Guess who can't learn what.

Considering they're neat freaks I would have thought the Minccino family would get Recycle. Guess they're mot into being green.

Kelceon's entire gimmick involves changing its type yet it only got Reflect Type as a Dream World move.

The Pokemon with blade arms and other body parts probably would need to Sharpen their blades routinely.

Shell Smash. On one hand I understand why they wouldn't want to give it out to that many Pokemon. On the other hand the Squirtle family, Sandslash, Golem, Slowbro, Lapras, Kabuto family, Togepi family, Slowking, Pineco family, Aron family, Anorith family, Glalie, Turtwig family, Wormadam, Shellos family, Oshawott family, Ferroseed family, Chespin family, and Bergmite family are pointing to their shells. Not to mention the Cocoon Pokemon (including Shelgon).

Rhyhorn, the Spikes Pokemon, can't learn Spikes. Actually, no Ground-type can learn Spikes at all...

You'd think Ninetales, Groudon, Pokemon who evolve via Sun Stone, and Pokemon who learn Sunny Day natrually would be able to useMorning Sun as well.
Ninetales evolves with the Fire Stone, but I take your point. I think in Groudon's case it was a weird tic of making its movepool synchronize with Kyogre's, and as for the others, I feel like Pokemon whose entire mythology revolves around the sun get it. I.e. Espeon being able to sense weather changes through its fur and Volcarona's light substituting for sunlight during an eclipse (iirc). Also, both are the Sun Pokemon.

Shell Smash. On one hand I understand why they wouldn't want to give it out to that many Pokemon. On the other hand the Squirtle family, Sandslash, Golem, Slowbro, Lapras, Kabuto family, Togepi family, Slowking, Pineco family, Aron family, Anorith family, Glalie, Turtwig family, Wormadam, Shellos family, Oshawott family, Ferroseed family, Chespin family, and Bergmite family are pointing to their shells. Not to mention the Cocoon Pokemon (including Shelgon).
Besides the aforementioned terror of SmashMence (seriously you'd need like Ice Shard on every team), there are a couple of questions I have with this list. First of all, Sandslash shouldn't be on here, because it's back spikes aren't really a smashable shell, more like evolved scales from its Sandshrew time. Golem and Aron line also have similar problems, because their rock and iron is closer to skin than it is to shell. Samurott barely looks like it has a shell to break, not to mention its shells are holding its swords. Shellos' shells are long gone, and Glalie is closer to a hailstone than an animal with a shell.

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Don't you get it? Shellos can just smash the "Shell-" in its name to boost its stats. That's how Shellder does it, after all!

I also have a problem with all of your Rapid Spin suggestions bar Klink, who definitely deserves it. None of the others have any sort of rotating motif. Just try to imagine them whirling around at super-fast speeds and you'll see what I mean.

And I think Pokemon with blades would probably need multiple blades that could be sharpened together (e.g. Samurott, Pawniard), and although that applies to quite a few Pokemon it does exclude the others. Then again, Sharpen is like a forgotten move so no one cares about its distribution anyways, including most likely the devs.

Don't you get it? Shellos can just smash the "Shell-" in its name to boost its stats. That's how Shellder does it, after all!

I also have a problem with all of your Rapid Spin suggestions bar Klink, who definitely deserves it. None of the others have any sort of rotating motif. Just try to imagine them whirling around at super-fast speeds and you'll see what I mean.

And I think Pokemon with blades would probably need multiple blades that could be sharpened together (e.g. Samurott, Pawniard), and although that applies to quite a few Pokemon it does exclude the others. Then again, Sharpen is like a forgotten move so no one cares about its distribution anyways, including most likely the devs.
Ah, so it'd be "Os" after the move was used. It all makes sense now!
As for Sharpen, Porygon and Cryogonal both get it. One is a digital duck and the other is a mustachioed snowflake. I'm not sure how digital ducks manipulate their matter, but I definitely don't think Cryogonal is going to be taking a flint or whatever and rubbing itself with it. Sharpen in its case probably means it manipulates the ice that composes its body to make its projections, and thus its Attack, even better. (Physical Cryogonal ftw)
tl;dr you don't need blades to be sharper

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Shelgon is like the last thing that should be given Shell Smash because we don't need MixMence 2.0 running around.
Besides the aforementioned terror of SmashMence (seriously you'd need like Ice Shard on every team)
The point isn't whether it should or shouldn't get it, I was just pointing out that there's a move called Shell Smash which involves needing a shell (to smash) and Shelgon indeed has a shell. Also:

(Pfft, you need to Mega Evolve AND use a status move to become broken? What is this, amateur hour?)
(Seriously guys, unless you can erase this above guy from existence, I will use him anytime someone brings up GF not doing anything because it'll be considered "broken")

SkywardSword596:
1. Ninetales gets Drought as a Hidden Ability which is why I mentioned it alongside Groudon.
2. But Beautifly, Venonat, Growlithe, Ponyta, Togepi, and Pidove don't have anything to do with the sun yet they can learn it. The Pokemon I have on the list have a connection with the sun be it an Ability to summon it (you have a point about Groudon, but then again if they want to keep their movepools similar they can give Kyogre Aqua Ring and Rayquaza Roost), evolving from the stone that symbolizes the sun (a notable one on the list being the Helioptile family who feeds off the sun), or learn a move that summons the sun without the TM (notable ones here is Moltres who symbolizes sunny weather, Sunflora which is based on a sunflower (though Sunkern does get it as an Egg Move), Castform which is weather-themed, and Maractus who is based on a cactus which live in deserts so are constantly exposed to the sun).
3. Also a few more Pokemon to add to the list: Solrock and Tyrunt family, who have a major sun/day focus in their design.
4. Yes, if we're going by strict definition of what a shell is than Sandslash is out. However, as we've seen plenty times on this thread Pokemon seem to be able to compromise if they have a body part that vaguely resembles the part they need and can substitute in. Though with that said if we're going by strict definition than the Binacle family shouldn't be there as their "shell" is just a rock they're attached to. Also since Clamperl can get it, that means so can Huntail and Gorebyss can and they barely have shells in their design (which is also just for show as they don't look like they provide any additional protection).
5. Golem:
Pokedex said:
Gold/HeartGold: It sheds its skin once a year. The discarded shell immediately hardens and crumbles away.
FireRed: It is enclosed in a hard shell that is as rugged as slabs of rock. It sheds skin once a year to grow larger.
It's considered or at least can be considered/substitute for a shell. If Dwebble can get away with its shell being a rock it carves into a shell, I think Golem can get away with having a natural shell covering made of rocks too. Same for the Aron family, well maybe not Aron itself but Lairon and Aggron look like they have shell-like plating they can use.
6. While I do agree that I probably should have mentioned Samurott specifically since Oshawott and Dewott need their shells, for Samurott I see a rather big shell it can get rid of and I don't think it'll cause much trouble for it:

(Now sure without his helmet he won't look like a samurai but with that mustache and beard I think he can manage)
7. Maybe Shellos and Gastrodon just lose the details on their shell-like body cover?
8. Glalie is the same situation as Sandslash.

brightobject:
Jigglypuff family: Have round bodies. Maybe not the best explanation, but it makes as much or more sense than the Pineco family, Tentacool, Kabuto, Delibird, and Anorith who do learn it.
Golem: If it can roll up into a ball it can spin. Otherwise Donphan shouldn't be able to learn it.
Voltorb family: Then need to roll and spin to just move around let alone to attack.
Omanyte family: Same as Golem, actually more like same reason why Donphan learns it.
Bellossom & Ludicolo: I have them because their theme is dancing and dancing sometimes involve spinning around. Who's to say they can't spin around fast enough when dancing they can't use Rapid Spin?
Wormadam: Same reasoning as the Pineco family (which makes sense since both are based on bagworms).
Bronzor family: Bronzor specifically, essentially its a coin (well a bronze mirror, but they share the same shape) and you probably remember spinning coins around when you were a kid. Think Bronzor doing that balancing itself with its Psychic powers. It also sort of has a symmetrical theme going on with it, similar to the Baltoy family who learn Rapid Spin.
Ferroseed family: Same reason as the Pineco family, actually doesn't Ferroseed's BW sprite spin around?

As for Sharpen, the blade Pokemon I'm thinking of is Scyther, Kabutops, and Gallade who do have two blades. Then again reading is description it sort of makes it clear that only Porygon should be able to learn it. I knew it was previously an exclusive move of Porygon (in Japan its called "Improve Angles") but other Pokemon have got it since so I thought maybe its description would detail how its suppose to work. Well:

I do not think someone got a memo said:
The user lowers its polygon count to make itself more jagged, raising the Attack stat.
So yeah, apparently Cryogonal, Carbink, Bergmite family, and Diancie are all digital in the Pokemon world (unless they're REALLY going meta here).

But if we're just sticking to the idea of sharpening a blade, SkywardSword596 is right. As long as the Pokemon has a blade on its body it can sharpen it whether it be rubbing it against another blade, rock, or maybe naturally able to by shedding that part of the body.

(Pfft, you need to Mega Evolve AND use a status move to become broken? What is this, amateur hour?)
(Seriously guys, unless you can erase this above guy from existence, I will use him anytime someone brings up GF not doing anything because it'll be considered "broken")
I mean, the argument is getting a little repetitive and it doesn't even make sense as a legitimate argument when it's a Pokémon banned from all their legal formats. They obviously do care about balance towards normal Pokémon - however flawed the results may end up being - but when it's a Pokémon that's banned from their formats and is literally supposed to be dragon jesus there's no reason for them to hold back in that case. It's really not comparable to Game Freak holding back on Shell Smash Salamence in this case at all; so yes, using "it would be broken" as a reason is something I would say is legitimate. You might as well post Lugia and Dialga as examples of how GF "doesn't care about balance".

Also the image literally takes up a screen every time you post it if you're going to do it can you at least put it in a hide tag or something??? it takes up a ton of unnecessary space

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Pikachu315111, there's a difference between something being broken and something being epicly broken. The point of Mega-Rayquaza is to be this amazing omnipotent PokeGod of old. Throwing a powerful move onto an already pretty powerful mega-evolution doesn't have the same effect as a Pokemon created to be broken.

Rapid Spin isn't a good move to theorymon over flavour-wise because there's no flavour associated with it really. The idea of it is that the Pokemon spins quickly -- hypothetically everything besides Snorlax can do this. Being round has nothing to do with your ability to spin -- I can spin quite quickly and I'd like to think I'm not too round. Rapid Spin is one of those times where GameFreak actually gives it to Pokemon based on balance, which does happen sometimes! Also, Bronzor is based off of a mirror, not a coin. It's got a really interesting myth behind it and its evolution's designs actually.

Sharpen is actually a very interesting move. In Japanese it's called "Improve Angles", which sort of does what it says on the tin. Its in-game descriptions say that it reduces the polygon count of the Pokemon, and it was very obviously created as a signature move for Porygon, though it was given away to Onix in an event in Gen II, it wasn't naturally learned by anything else until Cryogonal in Gen V. This means that logically the only Pokemon capable of learning it should be those deep-rooted in DNA, since that's the only way to literally reduce your polygons, and the move was created with that in mind. With that in mind, I would actually argue that Diancie getting the move is an anomaly, whereas I can understand it with Onix, Carbink, Bergmite and Avalugg, since those 4 Pokemon use very large shapes in their designs and have a naturally low polygon count. Because of the connections between Diancie and Carbink, this means that it's understandable for Diancie to get the move too, but I digress.

You missed one very important detail about what Pokemon get Shell Smash: They are all either Rock-Type or very very focused on shells. Torkoal, Clamperl, Shellder and Cloyster are like at least 80% shell. Having a bit of shell which they could maybe smash isn't enough to get this highly exclusive move. This means that your list looks like this:
Squirtle family, Sandslash, Golem, Slowbro, Lapras, Kabuto family, Togepi family, Slowking, Pineco family, Aron family, Anorith family, Glalie, Turtwig family, Wormadam, Shellos family, Oshawott family, Ferroseed family, Chespin family, and Bergmite family.
I would also argue that their shell can't literally be their body. Otherwise it'd just be Explosion as opposed to simply Shell Smash. Your list now looks like this:
Squirtle family, Sandslash, Golem, Slowbro, Lapras, Kabuto family, Togepi family, Slowking, Pineco family, Aron family, Anorith family, Glalie, Turtwig family, Wormadam, Shellos family, Oshawott family, Ferroseed family, Chespin family, and Bergmite family. Cocoon Pokemon
This leaves the Squirtle family, the Pineco family, Lapras and the Chesnaught family. I think that Lapras would work just perfect with Shell Smash, but you do run into issues with the Squirtle and Chespin families. Blastoise's whole shtick is the cannons in its shell, which would presumably just fall over if the shell was cracked since they are a part of it. Chespin's wole shtick is the ability Bulletproof and the signature move Spiky Shield. These two things wouldn't really work if it doesn't have its shell. Foretress also has armour it has gathered through its whole bagworm phase as opposed to a shell. Lapras is the only Pokemon who is missing the move which it would actually work on.

Pay Day in Japanese is called Coin for a Cat. Admittedly in its Gen I distribution this went out the window much like Teleport did due to its TM status. The 4 Pokemon to learn it non-TM-wise, Meowth, Persian, Hoppip and Purrloin, are all feline and as such make perfect sense.

Horn Attack is a kind of anomaly. Its one of those moves like Tackle and Rapid Spin which logically the vast majority of Pokemon should be able to do just fine, so who actually gets the attack is really just based on how prominent the horns are in their designs. If something like Rhyhorn was missing the move then fair enough, but Pokemon like Cloyster and Corsola don't really stick out to me as desperately in need of the move.

I know that these paragraphs aren't in the same order as you made them in your post, I just did the major moves first and then noticed other things later x____x.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I mean, the argument is getting a little repetitive and it doesn't even make sense as a legitimate argument when it's a Pokémon banned from all their legal formats. They obviously do care about balance towards normal Pokémon - however flawed the results may end up being - but when it's a Pokémon that's banned from their formats and is literally supposed to be dragon jesus there's no reason for them to hold back in that case. It's really not comparable to Game Freak holding back on Shell Smash Salamence in this case at all; so yes, using "it would be broken" as a reason is something I would say is legitimate. You might as well post Lugia and Dialga as examples of how GF "doesn't care about balance".

Also the image literally takes up a screen every time you post it if you're going to do it can you at least put it in a hide tag or something??? it takes up a ton of unnecessary space
Okay, I'll stop the joke; the Mega Rayquaza image was too big anyway (it's the one from the official ORAS site so it for some reason has chunks of empty space above and below it; probably should have edited it). Though I do mean what I said, Shelgon had a shell thus logically it could get Shell Smash.

STOP! Let me finish speaking. Now, was I suggesting it should get Shell Smash? No, I wasn't. Because you're right, it would make Salamence a bit OP and they may even have to ban the move on it thus no point in it having the move. However I'm just kind of tired when someone says "this will break the game" when we've had examples of that yet the game maybe only shifted slightly. When Fairy-types were released and we learned their type relations people all over were crying "they're broken! They're super effective, immune and resistant to popular offensive types! They're going to completely take over the game!" yet nowadays they perfectly fit in. When certain Mega Evolutions were discovered some say they were broken and only they would be used yet we see plenty of Mega Evolutions being used instead of a select few. Heck, Mega Rayquaza and the Primals are an example of this which is part of my joke. Everyone heard how the Primals don't count as your Mega Pokemon, Mega Rayqauza doesn't need to hold an item to Mega Evolve, and their Abilities being amped up would break the game in half. So what happened? Well pretty much they were just given the ban hammer or thrown to a higher tier. Nothing changed. So I hope that explains my way of thinking. I also personally believe the Pokemon game is a bit more adaptable that if something was to get out of line there would be a line of counters ready to be created, maybe even giving an underused Pokemon some of the spotlight.

Tl;dr, "it's broken" has been cried out so many times in Pokemon I can't take it seriously anymore. I also wasn't suggesting Shelgon to be given Shell Smash, just that it technically had the capability to. And even it did (like maybe an Event), I believe a counter will pop up to put it back in its place thus changing nothing.

@Celevar:
Spinning Mirror: I said Bronzor was based on a mirror, a bronze mirror specifically, but that doesn't change that its shape is still coin/plate-like.
Alt-Shift-Sharpen: Hmm, I see your point about Sharpen, though if that was the case I'd think more Rock-, Steel, and Ice-types would be able to learn it (heck, that right there leads to the Golem Trio who (well, at least Regirock and Regice) are angular in their design). But them using the words "reducing its polygon" puts it in a digital sense. I wouldn't say Cryogonal was reducing its polygons, I would say Cryogonal is shaving off some ice.
No Shell To Hold Me Down: Actually, how does the move Shell Smash work? If we're going by the idea they "destroy" their shell, then how does that work for the Shellder family, Clamperl, and Binacle family? Without their shell the Shellder family and Clamperl are just a glob of flesh, their shells are part of their body and its how they move and do anything. The Binacle family technically isn't a single Pokemon, their individual creatures just connected by the rock they're on. Without the rock they're separate and probably can't move, Barbaracle especially couldn't exist and its humanoid appearance is just a fac'ade since its just 7 Binacle who are using 2 slabs of rock as a chest and waist.
Honestly, the only Pokemon that should be able to learn Shell Smash would be the Omanyte family (and even then I'm questioning that, it all depends if they can remove their shells or not which I don't think ammonites could), Shuckle, Magcargo, and Dwebble family. All the others need their shell to live.
Kitty: Wow, I never realized Hoppip was a cat. That actually makes them a bit more adorable.
But I Don't Want To Use My Horn: The Pokemon I put on the list for Horn Attack were ones I could see using the horn on their head if they needed to. Would some of them? Probably not, especially if they were Special Attackers. Still I would say there are a few notable ones like Deerling family, Swords of Justice, Skiddo family, and Xerneas.

When Fairy-types were released and we learned their type relations people all over were crying "they're broken! They're super effective, immune and resistant to popular offensive types! They're going to completely take over the game!" yet nowadays they perfectly fit in. When certain Mega Evolutions were discovered some say they were broken and only they would be used yet we see plenty of Mega Evolutions being used instead of a select few. Heck, Mega Rayquaza and the Primals are an example of this which is part of my joke. Everyone heard how the Primals don't count as your Mega Pokemon, Mega Rayqauza doesn't need to hold an item to Mega Evolve, and their Abilities being amped up would break the game in half. So what happened? Well pretty much they were just given the ban hammer or thrown to a higher tier. Nothing changed. So I hope that explains my way of thinking. I also personally believe the Pokemon game is a bit more adaptable that if something was to get out of line there would be a line of counters ready to be created, maybe even giving an underused Pokemon some of the spotlight.
1) In case you haven't noticed, being a Fairy-type makes Clefable, previously a shit mon in RU / UU all the way up to S rank in OU. Also, Fairy is a very good typing both offensively and defensively; Mega Altaria, Mega Diancie, Mega Gardevoir, Clefable and Azumarill are all top tier threats and pretty much requires a Steel-type or Mega Venusaur to stop (and sometimes it doesn't even work like getting your Scizor Fire Blasted by a Mega Altaria, for example). They have pretty much created another Dragon-type except with slightly lower stats.

2) To make it seem as if I wasn't complaining about Fairies, I will add that Whirlpool has pretty odd distribution since Rhydon, Furret, Linoone, Tauros and Aggron can all learn it.

The Pokemon I have on the list have a connection with the sun be it an Ability to summon it (you have a point about Groudon, but then again if they want to keep their movepools similar they can give Kyogre Aqua Ring and Rayquaza Roost)/quote]

Kyogre already gets Aqua Ring. It makes her so annoying to catch.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So continuing with my list (though I'll try to be more restrictive from now on, maybe just listing ones I find particularly notable):

Skull Bash: Why does Barbaracle and Avalugg learn it? Skull Bash is a bit of a strange move, at least for the Pokemon who learn it naturally. It's description says the Pokemon tucks in before ramming into the opponent which sounds like something any Pokemon can do (which in Gen I they could as it was a TM most Pokemon could learn). However since it was the signature move of Blastoise and combined with its Japanese name, Rocket Headbutt, it seemed like they also needs a way to propel itself forward. This was enforced when Sharpedo learned it. Now while we have an odd selection of Pokemon learning it via Egg Move (which I sort of feel might be partly due to its English name; the skull wearing Cubone can learn Skull Bash it too convenient to be coincidence). But now that Barbaracle and Avalugg can learn it, what's the criteria for a Pokemon to learn it (at least naturally)?

Slack Off: Snorlax. Also considering tapirs connection with sleep maybe also the Drowzee and the Munna family (at the very least the Munna family as they're whole gimmick is about dreaming. You can argue against Drowzee family as they're about putting other's to sleep but I'd think they'd be able to do it to themselves). Not sure why the Chimchar family gets it, are chimps known to be lazy? If so why are the other monkey's exclusive or am I missing something? Is it a reference to Sun Wukong?

Smokescreen: While I know ink and smoke aren't the same thing, I think its a fair substitute to allow Octillery (who's also based on a cannon) and the Inkay family to learn it. Heck, isn't that the reason why the Horsea family gets it?

Soft-Boiled: Well the Chansey family aren't the only Pokemon with an egg, how about Exeggcute. :P Actually Togepi (and for some reason Clefairy) was able to learn it via Move Tutor in Gen III, odd but I don't think there would be a problem with Togepi getting it again.

Spike Cannon: After Gen II it looks like they stopped caring about giving this move out as only Cloyster, Omastar, and Corsola learn it.

Splash: Yes, we all know its call Hop in Japan. I just want to know why the Clauncher family gets it. Are pistol shrimp known for hopping? If its a reference to them propelling themselves wouldn't Skull Bash be a better choice (though Aqua Jet would probably fill that bill and it already get that)?

Tri Attack: There's an entire Body Style you'd think all the Pokemon in there would be able to learn. Out of the ones who don't I'd think Exeggcute family, Weezing, and Probopass would like to have it as at least an option.

Wish: While suggesting Wish Wobbuffet would be hilarious, being serious I can see Musharna learning it (they say a dream is a wish of the subconscious). Maybe also Cresselia though that may be pushing things.

We're now moving onto Fighting:

Aura Sphere: Oh boy, this is a complicated on ain't it? Theoretically Lucario's signature move, even in Gen IV Togekiss and several Legendaries got it. I get the Legendaries but Togekiss? Then the Mienfoo family gets it (I suppose because its spiritual?). At least Clawitzer and Squirtle getting it makes sense because of Mega Launcher. Sticking with the Mienfoo idea you need high spiritual sense, I guess the Meditite family could learn it. Others possible candidates: Alakazam, Slowpoke family, Lugia, Ho-Oh?, Absol, Infernape? (pushing it here, but hey it can use it), Cresselia?, & Musharna (what's with me and Musharna today...). Oddly couldn't think of any Ghost- or Fairy-types, at least not in "being spiritual" sense.

Cross Chop: So the karate Pokemon Sawk can't learn Cross Chop? Meanwhile Psyduck can get it as an Egg Move, what? I'd thought Psyduck would more likely learn Aura Sphere before Cross Chop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)