The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

And ? Compound Eyes is not No Guard, at the end, some moves can miss, so it's not the dumbest thing the AI has ever done
It is dumb when it was facing like my Magnemite spamming Mirror Shot (85% accuracy without Compound Eyes) on it and refusing to use either of those moves even though Mud Slap would be super effective against it.

EDIT: A new one that just happened.

Foe Breloom used Feint.
It doesn't affect Kenmore (Normal form Rotom)
Foe Breloom used Feint.
It doesn't affect Kenmore
Foe Breloom used Mach Punch.
It doesn't affect Kenmore

At least she knows priority.

Last edited:
Using an Axew in a fangame, and for some reason it seems to attract stupid.

• At level 23, against a level 25 Croconaw. The faster Croconaw uses Ice Fang, and redlines Axew. Axew uses Dragon Rage, which is also a 2HKO. The next turn, with an easy KO (Ice Fang has 95% accuracy, but the 100% accuracy Bite also KOs), Croconaw uses... Scary Face.

• In the next battle, a bug caused a CTD, so it was level 22 in the next town, after redoing the route. I have a rival battle, with an underleveled team. My Ground-type Grimer comfortably defeats Honedge, and my Ghost/Dragon type Charmeleon comes in against my rival's Celebi. Charmeleon gets a Screech and two Shadow Sneaks in before being KO'd (Celebi has about 1/4 HP), and I send Axew in. Ancient Power is likely to OHKO Axew and give my opponent a probable sweep. Instead, Celebi uses Safeguard and gets KO'd by Dragon Rage.

• A later battle, with Axew (at level 25) against a Kabuto. Kabuto uses Leer twice, then Mud Shot (a special move).

In Super Doubles, I was facing this Shuckle with my Corsola and Exploud (my Terrakion and Azelf were fainted). I was expecting a long battle, especially since my Exploud was choice-locked into Boomburst from earlier in the battle (it had Surf in its set) and my Corsola has one attacking move (Scald) and no IVs or EVs invested in Special Attack. Instead, this Shuckle starts spamming Sand Tomb. My Corsola only fainted in that battle because of Boomburst and Sand Tomb trapping.

A Trainer in the Battle Maison is down to just Lapras. I still have 2 of my Pokemon left. What does Lapras use? Perish Song.

Trying to catch the OR legendaries:
  • I caught Registeel by pure luck after getting it to 3 HP and then running out of Spores. I caught it while it was awake. I then check its PP to see how many it used: Curse had 6/10, Ancient Power had 0/5, Amnesia had 13/20, and Iron Defense had all 15. In a long battle, it didn't use Iron Defense once.
  • Palkia spamming Earth Power and Aura Sphere against my Crobat.

Trying to catch the OR legendaries:
  • I caught Registeel by pure luck after getting it to 3 HP and then running out of Spores. I caught it while it was awake. I then check its PP to see how many it used: Curse had 6/10, Ancient Power had 0/5, Amnesia had 13/20, and Iron Defense had all 15. In a long battle, it didn't use Iron Defense once.
  • Palkia spamming Earth Power and Aura Sphere against my Crobat.
Can't really blame wild AIs for stupid mistakes, they choose moves completely randomly.

Ok so this just happened in the SS battle tower.

I was playing against a Lopunny with my Registeel. Lopunny had Return, Mirror Coat, Drain Punch and some other move I didn't see. Instead of Lopunny using Drain Punch to hit me, it used Mirror Coat over 10 times in a row allowing me to fully set up with Registeel. GG Pokemon ai.

Reactions: JES
Volt White 2, first battle in the game.

Tepig vs Snivy.

Tepig crits my Snivy on Turn 2, leaving it in the red while my Tackles did very little to it. Tepig continued to pick Tail Whip for the next 3 turns while I happily Tackled it to death.

Versus an Ace Trainer in Frost Cavern. My Garchomp Digs as her Doublade Iron Defenses and then only takes half. She proceeds to Power Trick. Okay, I could be in trouble here, I'm still attacking at -3 after all...

"The opposing Doublade used Power Trick!" I KO her next turn without taking a scratch.

Keep in mind, this is an Ace Trainer.

Using an Axew in a fangame, and for some reason it seems to attract stupid.

• At level 23, against a level 25 Croconaw. The faster Croconaw uses Ice Fang, and redlines Axew. Axew uses Dragon Rage, which is also a 2HKO. The next turn, with an easy KO (Ice Fang has 95% accuracy, but the 100% accuracy Bite also KOs), Croconaw uses... Scary Face.

• In the next battle, a bug caused a CTD, so it was level 22 in the next town, after redoing the route. I have a rival battle, with an underleveled team. My Ground-type Grimer comfortably defeats Honedge, and my Ghost/Dragon type Charmeleon comes in against my rival's Celebi. Charmeleon gets a Screech and two Shadow Sneaks in before being KO'd (Celebi has about 1/4 HP), and I send Axew in. Ancient Power is likely to OHKO Axew and give my opponent a probable sweep. Instead, Celebi uses Safeguard and gets KO'd by Dragon Rage.

• A later battle, with Axew (at level 25) against a Kabuto. Kabuto uses Leer twice, then Mud Shot (a special move).
Are you playing Pokémon Insurgence?

Anyways, I think that last one is possibly because the AI does not account for physical/special splits, as it does in some Gen 3 hacks.

In general, Pokémon Essential games seem to have a knack for pushing you into a corner with strong plays and 'mons, only to do something profoundly stupid afterwards (such as using a useless stat-changing move) that makes them lose.

I personally always thought it's dumb that the 'bad guys' unnecessarily give out so much information. When you win against them, they give you all sorts of passwords and key cards, just because you won. I mean, they manage to be a criminal force in an entire region to take over cities, and then they collapse so easily? They give out their top secrets just because a kid beat their Zubat?

I personally always thought it's dumb that the 'bad guys' unnecessarily give out so much information. When you win against them, they give you all sorts of passwords and key cards, just because you won. I mean, they manage to be a criminal force in an entire region to take over cities, and then they collapse so easily? They give out their top secrets just because a kid beat their Zubat?
Keep in mind that the kid you are talking about could, if necessary to get the key info, start burning the grunts alive with his Charizard. I think the giving out key info is just them trying to avoid getting directly attacked by a pokemon, since it is well established that people can't even stand up to the Route 1 pokemon on their own.

Keep in mind that the kid you are talking about could, if necessary to get the key info, start burning the grunts alive with his Charizard. I think the giving out key info is just them trying to avoid getting directly attacked by a pokemon, since it is well established that people can't even stand up to the Route 1 pokemon on their own.
It follows the general RPG tropes about villian minions and civilians - the minions are all sorts of weak and incompetent ("Oh no! I dropped the Lift Key!"), but the neutral NPCs are so terribly weak that even the weakest monster(s) and antagonists will wipe them out completely if not for the player's intervention.

People in general unable to stand up to Pokémon holds no water - there's multiple segments of lore detailing Pokémon being mass-slaughtered by people (one of the Sinnoh texts and Cobalion's backstory) and the leader of the Pokéathlon states he beat a Machamp in arm wrestling (though you could argue he's not being honest). Furthermore, while the best your Pokémon can do is push large boulders around, Chuck easily throws one around in his gym. And that's not even going into the crazy feats non-Pokémon have been capable of in spinoff materials (notably, Sabrina in the Anime and Yellow in the Manga).

It follows the general RPG tropes about villian minions and civilians - the minions are all sorts of weak and incompetent ("Oh no! I dropped the Lift Key!"), but the neutral NPCs are so terribly weak that even the weakest monster(s) and antagonists will wipe them out completely if not for the player's intervention.

People in general unable to stand up to Pokémon holds no water - there's multiple segments of lore detailing Pokémon being mass-slaughtered by people (one of the Sinnoh texts and Cobalion's backstory) and the leader of the Pokéathlon states he beat a Machamp in arm wrestling (though you could argue he's not being honest). Furthermore, while the best your Pokémon can do is push large boulders around, Chuck easily throws one around in his gym. And that's not even going into the crazy feats non-Pokémon have been capable of in spinoff materials (notably, Sabrina in the Anime and Yellow in the Manga).
Well, to be fair, we also have people being unable to break two measly rocks for almost half a game until you come by with a Pokemon with Rock Smash (Rusturf Tunnel). Also, if these Pokemon that were being slaughtered wild Pokemon, that makes perfect sense. The AI chooses moves at random. So, like with Cobalion's for instance, there are probably several Audino not having a clue what they're doing and randomly spamming Heal Pulse on the humans.

The Veilstone's Myth is just a myth, there is nothing saying that it actually is true. Also, even if it was true, the guy had a sword. Villainous team grunts do not have a sword.

Cobalion's backstory says that a war was going on that endangered pokemon. It never said that the humans were directly harming pokemon, they could have been destroying the pokemon's habitats.

To get back on topic, I had this one when I was playtesting a deprecated fangame myself - against Lt. Surge, all I had left was my water starter against his ace, who has Shock Wave, Ice Beam, Torment and Protect. While I would've gone down to a single Shock Wave, Surge decided to spam Ice Beam and let me get the win after 3-4 hits. (I had Ghost as my secondary typing, ruling out the possibility of it aiming for a different weakness)

In Pokémon XD I was fighting some random trainer. Poochyena and Teddiursa on my side, Machop and Oddish on theirs. Machop one-hits Poochyena with some fighting move, Oddish uses absorb on Teddy doing little damage.

The turn ends and I send out Ledyba so what else, Machop hits it with the 4x resisted fighting move instead of the Teddiursa right there that was weak to it. That wasn't enough for the AI because then Oddish uses absorb which was weak enough on teddy... on a 4x resist again.

Not necessarily a dumb AI, but the AI in pokemon stadium cheats. I tested it with save states, and even if you pick your pokemon after they have picked their 3, the pokemon actually in the battle will be different and better suited to whatever combination you bring, without fail.
Noticed too that the AI tries to counterpick you - Not only does this behavior remain in Pokémon Stadium 2, the AI is very competent in that game, understanding how to toxic stall and also being able to switch out of unfavorable matchups.

Noticed too that the AI tries to counterpick you - Not only does this behavior remain in Pokémon Stadium 2, the AI is very competent in that game, understanding how to toxic stall and also being able to switch out of unfavorable matchups.
So that's why I can't win the Master Ball Cup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)