2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's why you wait until the goal is scored and then referee could refer the decision up to a video referee like in rugby league and rugby union. its best not to use american sports like american football as an example because that game has natural breaks between plays. the two rugby games are undeniably faster paced sports than both american and world football and utilising this break in play (the pause after a goal is scored) to ensure we get the correct decision on field seems like a no-brainer to me. the argument that using video technology will 'slow the game down' is an absolute non-starter.
so stopping the game to watch the replay will not slow the game down? You do know how long it takes to watch a replay right? It takes longer than any restart would. And I assume you are referring to the counter attack goal and then going to video. You think anyone in their right mind would allow the referee to overturn a scored goal on a counter for a video replay? That is just asking for even more controversy with even more problems to enjoy. And aside from the obvious waiting for 5 minutes after a goal is scored to check, how far back to you check to see if something is correct? 5 minutes could have passed since the call in question, the game has developed completely different and you want to negate the entire 5 minutes through replay.

Plus the consideration of bribery and match fixing is all too real, how often will video replay be used as a cover to fix games? Giving more power to the referee isn't a good idea and isn't what the match is about. The only use of technology that makes sense is goal line technology and when the go pro style camera's get small enough to the point that every official can wear them during matches. That way you can properly review what has been seen and heard by officials to further judge their actions. Players get fined for diving with constant reviews, why wouldn't you hold ref's accountable in that regard with proper technology?

Oh and that was reviewed too, they still made a bad call despite everyone knowing the correct call.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
It could be implemented like Shade said but I also don't see a big problem if it can be used to interrupt play: if one team is attacking and they lose the ball, their manager could make a challenge to stop a counter attack by the opposing team. If there really was a foul then justice has been served. If there wasn't then that team has no more challenges for the rest of the match. It could add another tactical tool.
Do you not see the potential for abuse in this? Think of how many chances a team like Sunderland or Bournemouth will get against teams like Chelsea, and then mourinho sees its dangerous, uses his call and stops the attack, potentially saving Chelsea 3 points. And then be gets the power to do that once per game. It would be a system that would inherantly favour bigger teams.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
so stopping the game to watch the replay will not slow the game down? You do know how long it takes to watch a replay right? It takes longer than any restart would.
yeah i watch rugby league every single week and it takes about a minute longer on average. sometimes it takes like 3 minutes for super contentious ones but man i am happy to wait 60 whole seconds to ensure we get the correct result. football has loads of stoppages and you are kidding yourself if you think it doesn't, theres stoppages of over 10 seconds all the time: substitutions, men going down, setting up free-kicks, some throw-ins, corners, goal-kicks. just because the clock keeps running doesn't mean it isn't a stoppage. this extra minute after the goal is scored would be literally nothing and would only happen if the ref wasn't sure about the goal and thought there might be something wrong - it would not happen every time!

manodelrey said:
And I assume you are referring to the counter attack goal and then going to video. You think anyone in their right mind would allow the referee to overturn a scored goal on a counter for a video replay? That is just asking for even more controversy with even more problems to enjoy.
yes they would allow the referee to overturn the goal if the replays showed the goal was unlawful because that is the correct decision! if anything this reduces controversy because it gives officials extra technology to do their job

manodelrey said:
And aside from the obvious waiting for 5 minutes after a goal is scored to check, how far back to you check to see if something is correct? 5 minutes could have passed since the call in question, the game has developed completely different and you want to negate the entire 5 minutes through replay.
the ref would ask the referee to go back to the incident leading up to the goal that could be contentious. this is not the referee going to a video ref for every goal just saying 'check if anything is wrong'.

manodelrey said:
Plus the consideration of bribery and match fixing is all too real, how often will video replay be used as a cover to fix games? Giving more power to the referee isn't a good idea and isn't what the match is about. The only use of technology that makes sense is goal line technology and when the go pro style camera's get small enough to the point that every official can wear them during matches. That way you can properly review what has been seen and heard by officials to further judge their actions. Players get fined for diving with constant reviews, why wouldn't you hold ref's accountable in that regard with proper technology?
we have to trust our referees to ref the game properly. refs could already realistically be bribed on any decision they make, so shall we say that refs can no longer give throw-ins anymore because its a potential bribery avenue? of course not. the referees currently have all the power regarding decision making and officiating in the game, that is the point of referees! saying giving the refs power is 'not what the game is about is a mental statement. refs should not be help accountable with fines for poor decisions because we do not want referees being scared to make decisions for fear of being fined. we do want players who dive to get fined because we do not want players to dive.

manodelrey said:
Oh and that was reviewed too, they still made a bad call despite everyone knowing the correct call.
lol so because sometimes a video ref gets it wrong too means we should not get it at all? video refereeing leads to more correct decisions happening in sports where it is utilised. of course sometimes people get it wrong because that is human error, but video refs get it wrong a lot less than on-field refs due to the technology.

everyone can rest assured that no video replay will be used because it will not work with the game. The amount of gray area up for interpretation is too much for any replay to change

After the success that was the goal line technology I really wish it will be rolled out/mandatory in every other competition or at least to make financial sense in each premier/first division league. My only gripe is the offside rule and how many goals are regularly wasted/allowed because of a faulty call, it is beyond established now that a line man can either:

A) Have visibility problems (too many players, etc.)
B) Play is too fast to make an accurate decision

A simple fifth/sixth/video official sitting behind a monitor with all the latest software drawing parallel lines and all that jazz, watching the match and can be called upon within seconds to give a sound assessment should solve this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34220482

"Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea has signed a new-four year contract with the club."

Well that's an unexpected turn of events
That would probably save them at least 10 points in the EPL. DDG is a great goalkeeper and he probably wanted to go to Euros (which we wouldn't be able to if they leave him with the reserves all season).

Not happy that this happens right before they were to face Liverpool (both team were crap so I had some hope Liverpool could sneak a win) . :-(

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
this whole david de gea saga is ridiculously dodgy, i'd imagine man u told him that he wouldn't play if he didn't sign and that would jeapordise his spot in the euros squad. now they've got him for another 4 years so will either keep him or sell him to madrid for double.

all i can say is LOL

i pray we didn't blackmail him into staying but either way it's so nice to see someone stick a middle finger back to madrid and even better that it's united

this whole david de gea saga is ridiculously dodgy, i'd imagine man u told him that he wouldn't play if he didn't sign and that would jeapordise his spot in the euros squad. now they've got him for another 4 years so will either keep him or sell him to madrid for double.
That is exactly what happened. I thought it would have been a year extension though. United used the fact that its a major tournament year to get De Gea to sign a new deal

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Wow, a Naismith hat trick......missed the game due to work but fuck me, how many losses will it take for Mourinho to drop Ivanovic. And that's just the tip of a massive ice berg.

ss234

bop.
Man United probably put a release clause in his contract similar to what happened with Delph earlier this year. At least that way they get some form of payment. It works well for De Gea too - he gets a massive pay increase for a year and he won't have to suffer too much fan abuse.

And yeah Chelsea were abysmal vs. Everton, they look nothing like last season. Attack wise they created nothing apart from Matic's ridiculous goal and defensively they were very open. Idk what's going on there but something is def wrong, if they keep playing like this then they'll have difficulty finishing top four.

Wow, a Naismith hat trick......missed the game due to work but fuck me, how many losses will it take for Mourinho to drop Ivanovic. And that's just the tip of a massive ice berg.
As many games as it took for Rodgers to drop Lovren, which is to say "never"

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
mata not there to take the penalty .cry, also martial is so fun to watch.

my favorite moment was definitely the foul he drew by wrapping his arm around the defender right in the line of sight of the referee. It was so veteran and natural. He looks like whatever the case, it won't be the 'physicality' of the pl that stops him.

Last edited:
Only hype my ass...bloody brilliant match, heck even Liverpool's sole moment under the spotlight was brilliant. Moar of this plz. (watching Real/Barca scoring 5-0's gets boring after a while)

Edit: Even though Blind personally brought wanton destruction upon Man U/Hollands defenses for a while, all is forgiven tonight.

Van Gaal: "I think Liverpool is a fantastic club because I have won every game against Liverpool." Hahahaha
LvG well played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)