Unpopular opinions

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What Is A Fairy:
Game Freak does need to figure out what makes a Fairy Pokemon a Fairy Pokemon. We have Pokemon that look like they would be classified as Fairies but aren't and Pokemon who don't look anything close to a Fairy being a Fairy-type. It's the same situation as Dragon-types if you think about it.

As for them making more traditional fey Pokemon instead of the modern day version of fairies, I think that depends all on the fairy the Pokemon is based on. As stage7_4 pointed out they're willing to do non-modern Fairy representation, they just need the reason to do it. Now the easiest reason would be using the mythology of the real world location that the region is based on. If you want Fairies than probably Scottish and Irish is the region you want next. Though there are plenty of fairies to go around.

Watch Your Yokai:
I think Cresselia~~ is saying Yokai Watch can't really base their creatures off anything like Pokemon can as Yokai Watch uses traditional Yokai for their monsters... well, used to. The 3rd Yokai Watch game is taking place in the US and the "Yokai" they've shown for that game are not traditional Yokai monsters but rather based on US pop culture. So it looks like Yokai Watch is expanding their sources to at least other mythologies and pop culture... BUT that doesn't include animals, concepts, and objects.

This Isn't Even My Final Formes:
Perfect Zygarde is cool, though I'm still more interested whether there will be more Formes. You don't introduce a 10%, 50%, 100% gimmick without their being at least some more forms, right?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Kurona, post: 6442505, member: 229673"]Literally every generation introduces a ton of Pokémon based on Japanese mythological and traditional staples tho????

Also am I the only one who actually shitting loves complete zygarde like omg it's so feckin' cool stop the pre-release kneejerk hate ;;
But pokemon never advertised themselves as yokai, nor has marketed itself with a tradition or historical theme. POkemon is sci-fi in genre. The yokai in Pokemon are hardly recognizable, plus they are conceived as living beings.
Meanwhile, yokai watch doesnt even change much from the traditions, every yokai behaves exactly like tradition, and they are expilicitly said to be dead beings.

Just because Pokemon is INSPIRED by traditional yokai doesnt mean Pokrmon are yokai, which is very unlike Yokai Watch in the first place.
Yokai Watch is not inspired by yokai, yokai is yokai.

Last edited:
I'm saying it's an open topic based on how they handle the fey creatures they've turned into Pokemon so far. Snubbull and Granbull are based on a celtic creature known to the English as the Black Shuck. It's Irish name translates to "dog fairy", is described to be about the size of a young bull(...dog! hah!) and is a harbinger of death, according to lore. Even Mr. Mime, another european-inspired monster, probably got passed as a part-Fairy type because of the pantomime theme, playing on the concept of "stage magic". Klefki is based on a pagan legend about fairies stealing small items, typically keys.

There are a ton of western creatures that are easily recognized as fairies (many of the Fairy-types so far visually follow a fairytale-style design likened to Europe), but there are also many eastern creatures they've yet to touch on that would/could make some great additions to the type. I think they could bear to create a thematic balance.

It's not just fairies though, which I kinda feel bad to pick on since this is it's first generation. There are a lot of archetypes that for whatever reason have yet to be broken or have enough exceptions in my eyes.

For one we still lack a decent special-attack for rock types. Power gem is the closest but almost mockingly limited in distribution. We also don't have many rock types specializing in SpAtk. Omastar, Diancie, and Aurorus come close, but (due to lack of Power Gem equivalents) rely more on their secondary types. And physical Diamond Storm was mean. Special Dark and Special Steel would almost be this case, if it weren't for how reliable/widely distributed Flash Cannon and Dark Pulse are. Special Fighting is weird, as there is a lot of focus-miss but they've been giving Aura Sphere to more 'mons lately. But the only notable special fighting types that I can think of are Lucario and three of the Muskadeers, which almost all have mixed-set stats.

On the reverse side, physical electric is still pretty shallow (plenty of representation with Electivire, Zebstrika, Luxray, Zekrom... but lacking reliable moves. Wild charge has recoil, and Bolt Strike/Fusion Bolt are Zekrom's signatures). Physical Fire, Ice, and Ghost aren't much better either, maybe worse in Ghost's case. Physcial fairy was almost this case, but Play Rough went to just the appropriate mon's.

There are also a few type combos yet to be introduced. Grass combos are odd. We only just got ghost/grass (and we got two of them!), but I'd like to see Grass/Fire or Grass/Elec. But maybe I've been playing too much Plants vs. Zombies.

I can see why Gamefreak is slow to implement new types though, because to do it thoughtlessly can create gamebreakers in seconds (giving M-Lopunny fighting/normal with scrappy made it pretty boss, especially that perfect 2-move coverage). I think this was why water-dragon is really limited (even if the reason got less important due to fairy), and why steel got a nerf before ghost-steel appeared (not that it helped).

But then I look at water types that get almost everything they could ever want and just wonder. Scald, Surf, Hydro Pump, Waterfall, and about every type combo possible except Water/Normal (with Water/Fire on it's way).

Meanwhile poor Poison just moans in the corner and dreams of getting a legendary, while Dark sympathizes with dreams of a gym.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
While I'd like to see more Special Rock-type moves, they're the exception not the rule for Rock-types. Rock-type is a very physical type, almost as much a Fighting-types. That's because the basics of Rock-type moves is "throw a rock at it", and since a rock is something physical it does physical damage. For the few Special Rock-type moves they don't follow that logic. Ancient Power is calling forth energy the Pokemon species had within it during the prehistoric ages (and as the Fossil Pokemon have shown prehistoric = rock) and Power Gem is converting the light glimmering off the gem into an energy blast. Fighting-types at least have the "ki" concept they can use or punching so hard you create a shockwave. But Rock-types? Very limited in Special-type move choice. Also not helping Rock-types is that Power Gem is for Pokemon of a specific design so not all Rock-types can learn it, only Pokemon with gems on their bodies... except Diancie because reasons.

Honestly all types fall into a certain category, pretty much the category they were put into between Gen I and Gen III (except for Ghost and Dark which had most of their moves switch categories). I'd say Fairy probably would have been Special back in the day, proof at Play Rough being the only Fairy-type Physical Move (which Xerneas doesn't get because who would want to use a Physical/Mixed Xerneas set...). However all each types need is a good move or two for the other category that most Pokemon can learn (which is Power Gem's problem in my opinion).

As for type combos, do you want them to introduce all possible type combos all at once? That would feel forced and somewhat limiting, in addition it'll take away a surprise when a new type combo is finally done. There has to be some surprises and they do make sure there are new type combos each gen because they make for good advertising Pokemon.

Water looks to have everything because that's just the result of there being so many Water-types. Our planet is 70% water and that's reflected in Pokemon. Unfair, maybe, but that's just how things are. Some types lean toward Physical, other lean toward Special, and there are some which gets the best of both worlds. And Pokemon who don't follow the rules of their types either get something special, gotta adapt a gimmick, or be left forgotten hoping they get something in a future generation to lift them up.

Strange they haven't done a Dark-type Gym yet, this is going to sound odd but just because its called Evil-type in Japan doesn't mean they need to be villains. Evil-type just refers to their fighting style, not that they're monsters who will steal all your money and kick your puppy. As for Legendary Poison-type, it would probably have to be a representation of a destructive force or maybe a disease which I can understand why they wouldn't want to get a jump on.

Not really, toxins can also alter/block certain biological process, some dissolve tissue other block the interaction of an element with another, then there are the ones that subtract an element before they form as in blood dilution. If they wanted to pull a stretch they could make a poison type either a being born from the need of order or the result of a cataclysm.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thinking about it now they should never have bothered with Ice Type, it's basically just frozen water anyway.

Ground is just broken up Rock too...

And getting into what y'all have been talking about with the Fairy thing, they should have been called 'Magic' type or something, as that would have made it easier to give less whimsical mons the typing... But I guess that would conflict with the Psychic niche?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not really, toxins can also alter/block certain biological process, some dissolve tissue other block the interaction of an element with another, then there are the ones that subtract an element before they form as in blood dilution. If they wanted to pull a stretch they could make a poison type either a being born from the need of order or the result of a cataclysm.
Breaking down biological processes goes with "destructive force", if you want to specifically know what I was thinking I was thinking about a being that represents (natural) decomposition. Of course after thinking that I then though it would probably end up a giant mushroom and we already have several mushroom Pokemon (plus do you want a Legendary who's able to learn Spore? Darkrai's Dark Void at least has an 80% Accuracy). Also being a result of a cataclysm sounds too much of it being a result of *dramatic pause* MAN *Dun dun DUN!*... and I'm kind of getting tired of that aesop. If anything I'm going to assume the first Poison Legendary would be based on a mythical creature who also just so happen to be poisonous (maybe to have it able to counter another Legendary).

Thinking about it now they should never have bothered with Ice Type, it's basically just frozen water anyway.

Ground is just broken up Rock too...

And getting into what y'all have been talking about with the Fairy thing, they should have been called 'Magic' type or something, as that would have made it easier to give less whimsical mons the typing... But I guess that would conflict with the Psychic niche?
Actually most RPGs would have an Ice element but not a Water, like Final Fantasy. Ice could also just be considered the "Cold" element, not everything that has to do with the Ice-type is frozen water (like some Ice-type moves is a cold blistering wind or auroras).

Ground is more than just broken up rocks (sand is broken up rocks). Ground, specifically soil, is a mixture of minerals and organic matter, thus how plants are able to grow in it. Many "element" philosophies actually list "Earth" as an element as it covers both Ground (soil) and Rock. Also once again context is in order, a Ground-type and Rock-type Pokemon are distinctly two different creatures though they share some common weaknesses and super effective damage.

But I do agree with you on the "Fairy" point, they do seem more like a "Magic" type than strictly Fairies. They might have gone with "Fairy" to maybe give some definition for themselves to work within. Finally I don't think it would have crossed with Psychic as the reasons many magic things were listed as Psychic-type was because there was no "Magic-type"; but now there is.

Many "element" philosophies actually list "Earth" as an element as it covers both Ground (soil) and Rock.

It had to be done.

WATER!
EARTH!
FIRE!
AIR!

Anyway, on topic...

I have to say I prefer Fairy to Magic anyway. Lots of other games have a Magic, Magician, etc, class. Pokemon gave us Psychic instead. Instead of giving us a Magic type, they gave us Fairy. Just because the name is Fairy doesn't mean they can't have something magically based too.

I'm actually pretty let down by the lack of dual-type move. Pre-XY, Game Freak announced that they will introduce such moves, which opens up so many possibilities. However, the only dual-type move we get is Flying Press which is a signature move and it wasn't even that great. Even Volcanion's Steam Eruption is pure Water instead of Water / Fire.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm actually pretty let down by the lack of dual-type move. Pre-XY, Game Freak announced that they will introduce such moves, which opens up so many possibilities. However, the only dual-type move we get is Flying Press which is a signature move and it wasn't even that great. Even Volcanion's Steam Eruption is pure Water instead of Water / Fire.
Dual-Type moves, if ever allowed to rise to prominence, would make this game reaaaaaalalalalslerlerglerglegrtlgbrtlbrtbrtblly complicated bro, it's already a big hasslehoff just figuring out what flying press does or doesn't hit hard imo

Water looks to have everything because that's just the result of there being so many Water-types. Our planet is 70% water and that's reflected in Pokemon. Unfair, maybe, but that's just how things are.
While I agree with or understand most of your argument, I need to point out the fallacy in this line of thinking. Since pokemon is a fictional universe, "reflecting on reality" is all deliberate on Gamefreak's part. They aren't forced to follow it, they just choose to. If they wanted less water and flying types, or more type balance, they'd do it. Plain and simple. While they have their reasons not to (as I said, type combos can get out of hand if haphazardly implemented), "reflecting on reality" is a pretty lazy reason.

Sorry to be a nag, I see this come up a lot on topics with more weight (like racial diversity in fantasy settings. "Because it's realistic" doesn't work when you have DRAGONS) and it's a bit of a sore spot.

Same goes for move archtypes, if they wanted a rock-special move they wouldn't have to get that creative and are not entitled to follow the rules set out for them because they make the rules themselves. They could pull a Steven Universe laser light cannon and call it rock-special without batting an eye. Plus all these moves are subject to a lot of interpretation. If we played it all strict, wouldn't all water moves be physical? Fluids are physical matter after all.

But you are correct in that it really just takes one good move to change an archtype. Burn used to be an unreliable status effect, but Will-o-wisp changed all that, and the metagame accordingly. I'd imagine just one freeze inducing move could do the same for that status.

I'd imagine a benevolent poison legendary to be along your lines, either naturally poisonous (like some sort of cryptid myth like the Mothman or Mothra) or an avatar of decay or change, like a seasonal legendary of Autumn. Another idea I had when I was young was that if Missingno was ever official it would be steel/poison or elec/poison since it's a glitch in the system (although bug type might be more appropriate).

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly all types fall into a certain category, pretty much the category they were put into between Gen I and Gen III (except for Ghost and Dark which had most of their moves switch categories).
To be more specific: every attacking Dark-type move introduced before Generation IV was changed from Special to Physical in Generation IV. Dark Pulse was the only Special Dark-type move in Generation IV and it was introduced in that generation.

To be on-topic: I don't like how the Fairy-type was executed. I mean, sure, it gave a well-needed offensive nerf to Dragon, and buffed Poison (both offensively and defensively) and Steel (offensively) but it gave Dark an unneeded nerf. Sure, Knock Off got a huge buff, but it's really easy to play around (Mega Evolutions etc.) Okay, sure, maybe it'd be hard to buff Dark without also making Tyranitar even more of a titan (but personally I think the weather nerf was enough) but Tyranitar is the exception, not the rule, regarding Dark-types. There had to have been a way to give Dragons the nerf they needed without giving a type that was average at best an undeserved nerf.

This is basically just another example of what everyone already knew - Game Freak has been shitting on the Dark type ever since it was introduced (Steel and Fairy both got gyms in the generations they were introduced in yet Dark has yet to have one, and they also made it primarily composed of physical attackers but a Special type)

brightobject

there like moonlight
Game Freak has been shitting on the Dark type ever since it was introduced (Steel and Fairy both got gyms in the generations they were introduced in yet Dark has yet to have one, and they also made it primarily composed of physical attackers but a Special type)
knock off

also you seem rather biased since you named yourself after a dark type

dark as a type might be a bit weaker than it was yeah, but no one cares because there are so many good dark types running around like ttar, bisharp, hydreigon, mega sable, weav, scrafty, mandibuzz, mega gyar / mega ttar, mega sharpedo, hoopa-u, and greninja (yveltal and darkrai and arceus - dark if you count ubers), if anything I'd be more worried about how ice-types are doing lol

EDIT: I was talking about the knock off buff guys and gals, as stage 7_4 said that's the only thing that allowed it to become so centralising anyway

Last edited:
This is basically just another example of what everyone already knew - Game Freak has been shitting on the Dark type ever since it was introduced (Steel and Fairy both got gyms in the generations they were introduced in yet Dark has yet to have one, and they also made it primarily composed of physical attackers but a Special type)
How so? I mean the gym thing is a point but it's kinda separate from battle performance.

Dark certainly had a lackluster opening number in Gen2, but then again so did Steel. Gen3 brought more dark types and despite the Gen4 phys/special split most Dark types benefited from it (and Dark Pulse pretty much covered all special wants). It also solidified as the confusion-fu type with Sucker Punch being the best priority move outside of extreme speed or Scizor's Bullet Punch. Yeah, Gen6 fairy types was a bummer but it did get the Knock off buff which is arguably more metagame centralizing and the benefit of the steel nerf.

I'd say poor bug-type suffered from Fairy more, another resistance added to the pile. And just after Gen5 started to rescue the type.

But you are correct in that it really just takes one good move to change an archtype. Burn used to be an unreliable status effect, but Will-o-wisp changed all that, and the metagame accordingly. I'd imagine just one freeze inducing move could do the same for that status.
Arceus, please no. Remember how the original Japanese games had a 30% freeze chance on Blizzard? And remember how there was no roll for thawing in Gen I? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a repeat of that.

knock off
Knock Off existed in Gen III, although it was piss-weak.

Poison takes itself a while back in myths, I'm a bit thorn between the eagle and Scorpio constellation and it's role with Chronos, as it pretty much saved the day, spiders are said to have influenced the lifespans of heroes in African myths, bee poison actually helps people with some cardiovascular issues in their regeneration, and again scorpion poison is actually a good alcohol diluting substance in case you suffer liver failure given its properties, poison is not always perceived negatively. Let's not forget that biological poison is based on enzymes and life as we know it is to a big extent based on those using sugar structures as fuel. So poison being a part of the life order is quite a small stretch.

On the whole ice type thingy, fairies in some myths are said to handle winter poorly outside of those specialized and that sudden temperature changes where one of their few weakness in some works of fiction, ice resistance to fairy could have been a great thing to do, but nope just fire, steel and poison wich are indeed more prominent as fairy resistances and weaknesses.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
knock off

also you seem rather biased since you named yourself after a dark type

dark as a type might be a bit weaker than it was yeah, but no one cares because there are so many good dark types running around like ttar, bisharp, hydreigon, mega sable, weav, scrafty, mandibuzz, mega gyar / mega ttar, mega sharpedo, hoopa-u, and greninja (yveltal and darkrai and arceus - dark if you count ubers), if anything I'd be more worried about how ice-types are doing lol

EDIT: I was talking about the knock off buff guys and gals, as stage 7_4 said that's the only thing that allowed it to become so centralising anyway
Please. Dark-types have never had problems with Steel-types; virtually all of them have Fighting and/or Fire coverage or even pre-XY certain ones (Sharpedo) could at least hit neutral w/ STAB. Steel nerf did fuckall to buff Dark.

Also, you can't honestly consider Knock Off enough a buff when they also introduced basically a full-stop to it and Trick in Mega Evolutions. Even then, I consider it a buff to a move, not a type; the buff still applies in a non-STAB context.

Last edited:
Please. Dark-types have never had problems with Steel-types; virtually all of them have Fighting and/or Fire coverage or even pre-XY certain ones (Sharpedo) could at least hit neutral w/ STAB. Steel nerf did fuckall to buff Dark.

Also, you can't honestly consider Knock Off enough a buff when they also introduced basically a full-stop to it and Trick in Mega Evolutions.
Except only a select few megas exist, and a handful of those (Latis, Alakazam, Gengar, Mewtwo Y, Banette, Metagross) still have to worry about an incoming SE hit of decent power even if they can't lose their stone. The vast majority of Pokemon still have the ability to lose their items, and the ability to do so while dealing actually decent damage is huge. That's a buff, not only to the Dark type itself that now has things like Bisharp, Crawdaunt, and (from ORAS) Weavile to do that with STAB, but to many other mons that can now get by Ghosts or just serve a general utility role with that moveslot.

Also, you can't honestly consider Knock Off enough a buff when they also introduced basically a full-stop to it and Trick in Mega Evolutions. Even then, I consider it a buff to a move, not a type; the buff still applies in a non-STAB context.
Wrong on two accounts. Yeah having a coverage move for steel is one thing, but being able to handle it with your STAB moves alone is a big deal (it's part of the reason M-Lopunny is so deadly, perfect coverage with STABs alone means it has two free moveslots). So yes, the Steel nerf is a buff to Dark (and Ghost).

Also, you only ever get one Mega, so you still have five 'mons where there item can be a liability if they don't resist dark. And just switching your Mega into oncoming knock-offs isn't that easy either, since most Megas are pretty easy to pick out of the team preview maneuvering them around just to stop Knock Off or trick isn't that simple.

BUT WE ARE GETTING INTO METAGAME DISCUSSION so let's change the subject?

As Norne brought up, there really isn't anybody holding back a poison legendary other than Gamefreak themselves, it just means they need to be a little creative. Norne's examples are all great and I think this guy:

or this god

could both be inspirations for a poison legendary.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

It had to be done.

WATER!
EARTH!
FIRE!
AIR!

Though I have no idea who Avatar's analogue would be for Captain Planet. Aang in Avatar State?

Fairy Disguise: As I said, they probably chose Fairy instead of just "magic" so they have somewhat of a defined creature to go with what's Fairy-type. I think we can go with the logic "all Fairy-type have magic of some kind but not all magic has to be Fairy-type". Psychic over the years has been partly representation of mysticism and though not magic by definition it can be used as a stand in for non-Fairy-like creatures if the case presents itself.

Dual-type: Due to its complication they're not going to introduce that many. I'd like to see more, at least one per new generation, but the point of having different types and limiting your Pokemon to 4 moves is so that you have to focus on type balance. A dual-type move essentially acts as both those moves at once and though sometimes they may neutralize themselves overall you have a move with unique coverage that goes against what the game has taught you. They're exceptions, not the rule.

stage7_4:
I mention the real life connection because there's a reason for it. It's part of the element's identity. The elements of Pokemon usually follow some identity associated with that type, and that includes abundance. There's a lot of water, and that's because the Pokemon World is based on Earth. The Pokemon world is therefore also 70% water. And since there's so much water it's teaming with Pokemon, and for the most part they'll most likely be Water-types because what other types would live in water? Pokemon is trying to pass itself as a fantastical but also believable world, and that does mean following some of real nature's rule.

But nature also has exceptions to the rule, so it's not completely set in stone. Look, just focus on the types you like, don't pay attention to what they're doing with the other types. Like people who like Ground-type Pokemon got a short end of the stick this generation, but instead of complaining how Fairy-type got too much focus or how Water-types got several more Pokemon when one of those slots could have gone to them instead they should focus on what they got. Sure they only got one com mon Ground-type, but that com mon is Diggersby who's crazy powerful thanks to getting Huge Power (Huge Power STAB Earthquakes, anyone?). They also got a Legendary and though it started out lacking, said Legendary is Zygarde who is now getting a ton of new formes (many which are also probably Ground-type). Garchomp, Steelix, Swampert, and Camerupt got Mega Evolutions and the poster Ground Legendary, Groudon, got a Primal Reversion that upgrades its ability that gets rid of one of Ground-type's weaknesses and gave it a powerful Ground-type Signature Move, Precipice Blades.

As for a Rock-type Special move, it can't just be a laser labelled Rock-type without some context support it. If you REALLY need an idea for a Special Rock-type move, I have a few. First one is "Litho Sphere" (get it?) and I imagine it being a copy of Energy Ball/Shadow Ball and its pretty much the Pokemon calling forth energy the rocks have absorbed. The second is "Tectonic Wave" which is an Aura Sphere expy and uses the released energy created when the tectonic plates move. Finally there's "Geothermal" which is a Scald expy which uses the planet's inner heat energy to attack. So it's possible to make Rock-type special moves, its just very limited as I think I scrapped as much as I could. BUT we're getting into speculation/wishlisting territory so let's move on.

Dark Done Right: I do see some reasoning for the Dark-type being resisted by Fairy-types. It's a loose connection, but being tricksters by nature, Fairies easily see the ploy being presented by Dark-types thus not falling for it, making their attacks weaker as Dark-type moves rely on attacking the opponent unexpectedly.
For a long time Dark has made for a better move type than a Pokemon-type. To keep it short as I feel we're getting into competitive talk here, a lot of Dark-type moves rely on gimmicks (which explain many of their low Power, they're focusing on the trick hurting you more than sheer strength) and so have been able to make niches for themselves. This will then extend to the Dark-type Pokemon, they need to be able to deploy these tricks so a lot of things about them would be designed around that. Now this does unfortunately lead them to not measuring up as well as they could, but then again thematically they're not suppose to. You're suppose to trick your opponents with Dark-types, not have them go toe-to-toe with their Pokemon. Does this work in-game? Maybe not all the time, but that's the idea you should be following I feel. They set up and spring a trap.

Norne: I know there's a lot to the topic of poison, toxins, and venom and how they can be used for bad and good; but let's remember what we're talking about here. A Poison-type LEGENDARY Pokemon. Legendary Pokemon usually has some grandiose theme connected to them. It's why I mentioned it being based on some kind of "force" like decomposition, it's a part of an important system that allows for life on Earth. A bee sting having healing properties, scorpion poison diluting alcohol, I'd even say the Scorpion constellation is small stuff (if they make a Legendary based on the Scorpio constellation it'll either be able to change to the other constellations or we'll have them being Legendaries and we just complained about Legendary oversaturation). However we can talk about this subject all day and get nowhere. Fact is there is plenty of potential for a Poison-type Legendary, stinks there isn't one but that's just the theme of the game getting in the way.

What is even the case for dark-type being shit on it's literally one of the best types in the fuckin' game; Fairy resisting it was needed as much as Fairy being immune to Dragon with the buffs this gen lmao
If anything Bug and Ice have been shat on since release. Defensive ice-types and fairy resisting bug smh

Bug got a ton of cool and useful moves in Gen 4 and also has some very strong abilities almost exclusively to itself (Tinted Lens, Shield Dust, Compoundeyes). Ice is one of the most brutal offensive types in Gen 1 due to the broken freeze effect and only being resisted by water and itself (Fire only since Gen 2), next to Normal and Psychic. It's terrible to have the type, but it's really good on the offense.

Poison really is the type that gets the shaft all the time - lots of Poison-Types have crummy stats, with only dual-typed ones being strong, it's the go-to type for evil teams (next to Dark), no legendaries of that type as mentioned already and consequently, no legendary/mythical signature move of that type either (which Bug also doesn't have).

Wrong on two accounts. Yeah having a coverage move for steel is one thing, but being able to handle it with your STAB moves alone is a big deal (it's part of the reason M-Lopunny is so deadly, perfect coverage with STABs alone means it has two free moveslots). So yes, the Steel nerf is a buff to Dark (and Ghost).

Also, you only ever get one Mega, so you still have five 'mons where there item can be a liability if they don't resist dark. And just switching your Mega into oncoming knock-offs isn't that easy either, since most Megas are pretty easy to pick out of the team preview maneuvering them around just to stop Knock Off or trick isn't that simple.

BUT WE ARE GETTING INTO METAGAME DISCUSSION so let's change the subject?

As Norne brought up, there really isn't anybody holding back a poison legendary other than Gamefreak themselves, it just means they need to be a little creative. Norne's examples are all great and I think this guy:

or this god

could both be inspirations for a poison legendary.
I just wanted to comment on the manticore thing (I'm not dismissing the rest I swear) but I read somewhere that a possible reason GameFreak never makes Pokemon directly based off of a chimera, or a hippogriff, or Griffin, or a satyr or centaur is that all of those beasts look like a bunch of parts stuck together--which most Pokemon aren't. Look at Vaporeon for instance--the fish parts blend so fluidly with its mammalian parts that it looks natural (the tail is more akin to a whale or dolphin than a fish tail, the face fins look like whiskers). Eevee is similar--you can't pin its inspiration down on any one animal, just a generic cutemon mammal. Its face is too round for a Fox's, its ears don't look anything like a cat's, and it's legs are too short to be rabbit legs. Compare that to the manticore pic you posted above, where you can go "mhm, there's the lion head, and the bat wings, and yep, there's the scorpion tail" because those myth-tellers really did make a collage of animal/human traits.

This isn't my opinion, I'm complete trash at Pokemon design. The points made above came from http://www.dragonflycave.com/makefake.aspx (skip down to "Pokemon are not just Animals)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)