Project The Next Best Thing - ORAS OU Edition V3 - FINISHED

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
The winner for Week 1 is Future Sight Slowking by Albacore, you will be added to the Hall of Fame.

The Pokemon for Week 2 is Victini!

Victini has a simply put, a amazing movepool, and decent stats. So lets get creative on new/innovative movesets! Victini was used in V2 but was never finished, so lets finish it!​

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Victini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Glaciate
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Trick / Thunder / Grass Knot / Focus Blast

Basically just crushes physically bulky Pokemon like Hippo, Lando-T and Chomp which typically switch in on it, and has the advantage over Mix Ebelt/LO of great immediate power with no drawbacks, and also giving it the option to run Trick to screw over random stuff like Heatran and Chansey. Grass Knot isn't really necessary here since Blue Flare 2HKOs even the most specially bulky Hippowdon variants, though it is nice if you want to hit Slowbro. Thunder hits the combination of SpD Talonflame and Waters in general (particularly Gyarados), while Focus Blast 2HOs Heatran.

A few calcs :

252 SpA Choice Specs Victini Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 235-277 (55.9 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Victini Glaciate vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 142-168 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Victini Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Rotom-W: 172-204 (56.7 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Victini Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 177-208 (60.8 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Victini @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Glaciate/Energy Ball
- V-create
- Bolt Strike

So Victini hits hard as shit. I added WoW to bait shit like gchomp, hippo, gliscor, lando-t, azu,T-tar, etc. Glaciate is for stuff like lando-t, gchomp, gliscor, and slow down mons that outspeed victini like starmie, keldeo, manaphy, tornadus-t, etc. If u don't feel like using glaciate u can use energy ball for rotom-w because after rocks energy ball 2hkos it. V-create hits like a truck on hippo and has a 94.1% chance to 2hko hippo after rocks on physically defensive set.

Ooh ooh how's this! Trick room power up punch!

Victini @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Power-Up Punch

Ok so the general idea of this is that if you have a victini on the field VS let's say a celebi, and they have a heatran in the back - more likely than not they're going heatran. No ones gonna let that celebi take a v-create to the face or even a U-turn, common choice scarf move. So you PuP the heatran on the switch, and then a +1 bolt strike kills with the power up punch damage + stealth rocks! This set also allows you to set up TR - which doesn't seem like it'd be that beneficial looking at victini's base 100 speed but then you remember V-create lowers speed. The main reason people switch out when they're using a victini is BECAUSE of the speed drops, but this set allows you to stay in and actually get "quicker" with the drops!

WORK-UPtini

Victini @ Life Orb
EVs: 208 Atk / 124 SAtk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Work-up
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Focus Blast

General ideas: This surprising set works using Victini's typing, movepool and the usual speed (mine Victini is slower) to force the opponent to an initial switch out in order to set up to boost both offensive stats and to prevent the -1 Atk from incoming Intimidate users which ruins our plan and may force us to switch-out. I think that V-create is mandatory because is the only reason to use Victini (bar Victory Star's accuracy boosted Focus Blast) because its high base power makes up for Victini's great but unfocused 100 base stats all around. Bolt Strike is here to hit some bulky waters whereas Focus Blast is for coverage (towards Tyranitar and Heatran) and becomes a little more reliable (77% chance of hitting isn't much more than 70% but this move is still used because has a huuuge damage output). Work-Up makes up for the loss of the 4^ coverage move (Grass Knot or Glaciate) to rectify the already big 4MSS this pokemon has.

EV spread: customizable but i'm trying to find an EV spread avoiding useless coinflips from others base 100 speed with a Jolly nature and full EVs investment maximizing offences. Some calcs without rocks up:
+1 208+ Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 330-390 (87.9 - 103.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO (guaranteed after Stealth Rock)
+1 208+ Atk Life Orb Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 335-395 (85 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 208+ Atk Life Orb Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 320-377 (79.2 - 93.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 124- SpA Life Orb Victini Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 250-294 (64.9 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 124- SpA Life Orb Victini Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 325-385 (100.6 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 124- SpA Life Orb Victini Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 390-463 (114.3 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With 176 EVs in speed Victini reaches 280 (tying with Diggersby and Feraligatr (both base 78 with a +Spe nature plus 252 Evs).

Team support: this Victini greatly appreciates speed control such as every pokemon with this speed tier and hazards removal (in particular Stealth Rock which handles Victini alone after a V-Create which forces us to switch). Beware of Toxic and Thunder Wave which can be really annoying because a Work-Up user wants to stay in the battlefield as long as possibile and Ice coverage from the other team members helps a lot to deal with some Victini's checks.

Last edited:
Crit-tini
Victini @ Scope Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Blue Flare
- Focus Blast
- Glaciate/Thunder/Flame Charge

After a FE + Scope lens Victini will hit critical hits 100% of the time, which will help Victini make the most off its high base power STAB fire move. A physical or Special set can be used, but I think the Special one is the better of the two. Although V-create is a much stronger move, it does not offer Victini any staying power and without defensive investments you can't afford to switch him and set up too many times. Blue Flare is the next strongest move and it also offers a decent 20% chance to burn. Fire STAB will be the main move you will be using on this set so the other two moves should help you deal with fire resistances. Focus blast helps against heatran, t-tar and other rock types, glaciate helps against dragons and ground types and using it on a switch can ensure you outspeed, and Thunder deals with water types. Flame charge is another option that can help Victini outspeed any potential threats. This may seem gimmicky but I've tried a focus energy set with Hydreigon and it is pretty useful, it definitely catches people off guard.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Crit-tini
Victini @ Scope Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Energy
- Blue Flare
- Focus Blast
- Glaciate/Thunder/Flame Charge

After a FE + Scope lens Victini will hit critical hits 100% of the time, which will help Victini make the most off its high base power STAB fire move. A physical or Special set can be used, but I think the Special one is the better of the two. Although V-create is a much stronger move, it does not offer Victini any staying power and without defensive investments you can't afford to switch him and set up too many times. Blue Flare is the next strongest move and it also offers a decent 20% chance to burn. Fire STAB will be the main move you will be using on this set so the other two moves should help you deal with fire resistances. Focus blast helps against heatran, t-tar and other rock types, glaciate helps against dragons and ground types and using it on a switch can ensure you outspeed, and Thunder deals with water types. Flame charge is another option that can help Victini outspeed any potential threats. This may seem gimmicky but I've tried a focus energy set with Hydreigon and it is pretty useful, it definitely catches people off guard.
The problem with focus energy is that you can accomplish almost the same thing without using a turn with life orb (or another boosting move + the ability to run an item. Does it get work up? Idk). Kingdra is lovely because of sniper making crits stronger than even +2 and offering infinite Draco meteors. At least use overheat to take advantage of the crit, but meh overall :o

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Voting time! Choices:

Albacore's Specs Victini
FrozenCold's LO Mixed Victini
FootHead58's Trick Room PuP Victini
nameless90's Work Up Victini
KidMagic's Anti-Lead Victini
felix's Crit-tini

Remember to bold your vote!

(My vote goes to the set I think is more interesting -bar mine, obvious!- because is not forced to use only one move at time due to a Choice item and has a move -Magic Coat- which is nice with all status moves and hazards around despite being weak to Water, Earth, Rock, Ghost and Dark)

KidMagic's Anti-Lead Victini

Last edited:
I normally don't look at this thread, but i want people to know that Albacore's Specs Victini is definitely the best and something I want to try to build with myself (I like the LO Wisp Victini as well tho :p). KidMagic's Anti-Lead Victini is creative, but overall not as effective as it may seem (mainly because tankchomp can tank too much :o also i think the set overall could have been improved since it is an anti-lead.

Reactions: TPP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)