Metagame NP: RU Stage 11: Dernière Danse (Medicham up to OU and Abomasnow and Slowking back in RU!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I think it's notable that all the potential suspects are things that kind of destroy Balance and not really offense/stall, which is a pretty big break from most suspects we've had to my knowledge.

Tyrantrum - I think this is probably the closest to broken but I'm not sure if it's actually broken. Nothing switches into the band set reliably (and it comes in on quite a bit, especially with cool partners like Rotom-C/Flygon making voltturn easy), scarf sets are amazingly good against offensive teams, and Dragon Dance/Rock Polish sets, in my opinion, kind of suck (maybe not Life Orb variants but eh). People were regularly talking about Tyantrum being broken before webs were in the tier, and I think it's gotten much worse with the rise of semi-reliable webs, Fletchinder being a huge part of many teams to revenge things, etc. In my opinion it's the best offensive mon in the tier and is only really held back by Megalix/Rhyperior meaning I can't just click Head Smash from turn 1. Still not a fan of suspecting it right now.

Also Jolteon doesn't outspeed scarf Tyrantrum.

Scrafty - It has pretty absurd bulk honestly, it can set up easily in the face of some otherwise pretty strong attackers if it gets in on them, and Shed Skin is incredibly annoying for bulkier builds trying to keep it down. At the same time, it's just not all that strong post-set up and the common scarfs in the tier, minus Rotom-C (scarf rotom kind of sucks btw) can easily revenge it at +1. At the same time, it can easily Knock Off anything trying to hard switch into it which can make it very 50/50 reliant to handle. It's also pretty pitifully weak and slow at +1/+1, and "letting" it get to +2 is usually your fault, but I think it's good enough at creating mindgames that that's only visible in hindsight. Band and Bulk Up are both very viable sets that enhance the mind game aspect, and I don't think a post about suspecting it, in favor or against, can get away without mentioning those even if Bulk Up is "bad" because it enhances the complex mind game aspect any given Scrafty set can use. Not in favor of a suspect even, it's just a very versatile mon and Shed Skin + Berry DD can't be treated as the only threat it brings.

Sigilyph - It's nice to see this beast mentioned, in my opinion, because it's not a recognizably broken threat but it *does* eat through a lot of stall and balance teams with the right set, and it's nice and unique speed tier (97) means it's not going to be complete dead weight against offense. Life Orb 3 attacks can break a lot of teams, Flame Orb CM is nasty if most of your team is slower or Flying Weak (Stone Edge Viriz misses the kill), which sort of fits a lot of balance builds at the moment. Focus Sash checks essentially everything *once*. At the same time, I think Sigilyph is super manage-able, but once again I don't think we can dismiss it by being lol Sigilyph.

Mega Glalie - It's really annoying to play against this. Spikes/Freeze Dry/Double Edge/Ice Shard is just one of the best sets in this meta for creating, and then taking advantage of, free turns. I don't think it's broken, just incredibly annoying. Also Freeze Dry always freezes my Jellicent. I don't think it's ban worthy, especially when it kind of eats itself trying to kill stuff, but it can be hard to check and is pretty good at creating pathways for team members to sweep.

Last edited:
Reactions: rau

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I was talking about what Kingler12345's said, but in all fairness HP Ice Jolt doesn't even consistently KO uninvested Tyrantrum with rocks up.

252 SpA Life Orb Jolteon Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyrantrum: 234-276 (76.4 - 90.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

phantom

Banned deucer.
I brought up Sigilyph and Glalie half-jokingly in the council PM, I didn't think you guys would take it seriously. >_>

I think it's notable that all the suspects are things that kind of destroy Balance and not really offense/stall, which is a pretty big break from most suspects we've had to my knowledge.
Just to interject a bit, Tyrantrum threatens offense way more than it does balance/stall because its CB set can be maneuvered around decently for slow teams due to the cornucopia of defensive Rock resists, whereas you need a slow, fat Rock resist on offense because just any won't do as evidenced by the fact that both offensive Flygon and Virizion are 2HKOed by a Scarf Head Smash. The primary Rock resists in the tier that can swap into a Scarf Head Smash and aren't 2HKOed by a non-Outrage coverage move are slow as dirt and mostly balance/stall mons. Scarf Tyrantrum forces offensive teams to inherently shift to a more slower, defensive state. I wouldn't say it's broken, but it's pretty unhealthy for the metagame and I wouldn't mind seeing it suspected as a result.

Don't know if I can take a Mega-Glalie/Siglyph suggestion too seriously. Both are really awesome Pokemon to use, and can give teams a difficult time, especially because they have little variations to their sets that can throw an opponent off, but that leads to more fun in using them. Both are fast and can hit hard, but there are stops to them in the tier, and Sigilyph doesn't like to have to make a wrong prediction or encounter something resisting it's moves if at all possible, otherwise it spells very bad for it. Both are very potent Pokemon to use, but I don't see them being overly unhealthy as the tier currently is, as you can generally find an answer to use against them on most offensive and balanced teams. Sigilyph is like one of the ultimate answers against any form of stall, and is just another very good Mon to try against other styles with variations.

As for the other two, I can see Tyrantrum or Scrafty going for a suspect. Tyrantrum kind of reminds me of Gen 5 Aggron in the tier somewhat. The only difference is obviously typing and the dinosaur having a better speed and less Defense with 11 more to the attack stat. Outside steel, ground, and some fighting types, you aren't going to find a defensive Pokemon that won't be at least 2HKOed. Takes a resist to do that, and Choice Scarf variants are pretty nasty against balanced and HO styles as well. Smeargle in the tier gives it a good partner to use webs with so that CB can be even more effective. One of the sets I like using is the Dance Claws consisting of Dragon Dance, Hone Claws, Head Smash, and EQ with a Lum, let's me try to use Tyrantrum to be effective against most all styles if I can force an opening against certain Pokemon who can't really do much back or force a switch. Just an all around threat that I wouldn't be opposed to seeing, though would think the meta should settle a bit now that Moth is gone.

As for Scrafty, it's natural bulk is just kind of stupid, and having to try and stare down either DD or Bulk Up sets and not necessarily knowing is just annoying. If it's BU, gotta get the phaze/force out going, trick it a choice item, or scare it from the special side if possible or just overwhelm it with a super effective physical move generally before it gets too many set ups. DD is just kind of hard to answer with balanced or offensive teams if it gets a free turn, which isn't actually too hard though not having to deal with investment or stat boosts to the defense means it's at least easier to take down. DD Scrafty at +1 is still fairly slow, so any good Offensive Scarf usually doesn't have a problem if you go to it immediately hoping it uses the turn to set up, as well it does have to pick what it sets up on and generally that would like to be a Psychic or Ghost or something weak and defensive that usually tries to status, since Shed Skin let's it bypass that quickly if you are lucky. Think is just a more wait and see how versatile or difficult it might be to handle, but there are some fairly general and common answers to it.

I know that this sounds like a bad idea, but RestTalk CM Slowking sounds like an interesting Pokemon for RU to play around with. It functions both as Defensive pivot, status absorber, and late-game sweeper. By analysis, Slowking meshes defensively well with Steelix. I don't know how Alomomola will be affected with the inclusion of Slowking. They both have roughly the same niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)