No Guard Galaxy

First of all, no we shouldn't complex ban Grass whistle, there's only one real good abuser of it, and it's Whimsicott.

Alright let me go over this in separate paragraphs:

Is Cotton easy to handle and counter? The subject of Magic bounce was brought up, but in reality that's flawed. Neither of the Magic bouncers are counters too Whimsicott, as if you didn't notice, it's stabs are super effective against both of them.

4 SpA Whimsicott Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 134-162 (55.6 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 112+ SpD Mega Sableye: 122-146 (40.1 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you're really in need of beating it, shift some EVs around to beat both of them with one moveslot

180 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 112+ SpD Mega Sableye: 152-180 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

180 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 105-124 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO

So that's sure as hell not reliable. I've seen a plethora of Sleep users being chosen to check it, even unreasonable things like Lum Berry Tornadus-Therian to catch it off guard and that is just ridiculous. Whimsicott is scary enough behind a sub that teams will dedicate entire team slots/move slots and item slots just to check it, like Sleep talk, Lum berry and insomnia. The effect this pokemon has on the metagame is unhealthy

Grass whistle isn't the problem, Whimsicott is.

The problem is the combination of subseed. Prankster subseed with the combination of Grass Whistle and subseed you're almost guaranteed a substitue. Which creates an endless chain of sub + leech seed which widdles the opponent immensely, and it's just such a fucking pain. It's god damn annoying and a menace to face that centralises the metagame
Espeon and Xatu aren't weak to its STABs. Both of them are decently Specially bulky, have reliable recovery, and will frankly treat Whimsicott as a free setup opportunity. Xatu isn't even weak to U-Turn. Furthermore, switching into Whimsicott while it's trying to put something to Sleep will leave Whimsicott itself asleep.

And do people seriously just not run Roar or Whirlwind? Because it shoves Whimsicott out, Substitute or no. I've also found U-Turn pairs laugh at Whimsicott -it puts a Leech Seed out, they U-Turn out. Repeat until Whimsicott is dead. You can also do this with Volt Switch pairs, but it resists that, so it's not so hot.

I don't particularly mind if Whimsicott gets a ban or not, but getting a cotton check/counter as a starting point of my teams is starting to be a pain.

The problem is the combination of subseed. Prankster subseed with the combination of Grass Whistle and subseed you're almost guaranteed a substitue. Which creates an endless chain of sub + leech seed which widdles the opponent immensely, and it's just such a fucking pain. It's god damn annoying and a menace to face that centralises the metagame
If being able to reliably put one Pokemon to sleep and then set up a sub is what makes Whimsicott unhealthy for the metagame, then Whimsicott is unhealthy for the metagame. There are ways to stop Grass Whistle, but few enough that it would be considered overcentralizing.

However, if the problem with Whimsicott is the ability to put one Pokemon to sleep, set up a sub, and then subseed an opposing team to death, then I'd say there are enough ways to deal with it that it wouldn't be considered overcentralizing. Taunt, sound moves, Infiltrator, Ferrothorn, Liquid Ooze Tentacruel, Magic Guard, and U-turn pairs are all perfectly viable ways to deal with any Whimsicott. And if the problem is Grass Whistle + Leech Seed + Substitute, then any Whimsicott set that would qualify as problematic would only be able to have one move to deal with its other potential counters: Moonblast for Mega Sableye, Giga Drain for Mega Diancie, Hurricane for Grass/Poison types.

Last edited:
Why is Taunt being brought up as an option to deal with Whimsicott? Is this assuming you've already foddered something to Grass Whistle? Because the list of Pokemon that don't get instantly put to Sleep (basically Vital Spirit and Magic Bounce, not counting Lum or Chesto because that only works once) that also learn Taunt that AREN'T 2HKOd by Moonblast is comprised of Magmortar and Electivire. Maybe I'm missing how this would go down, can someone explain it to me?

Also, Ferrothorn is a horrible stopgap. You get put to sleep and then do... Absolutely nothing while they get a free switch into whatever they want to fuck up your world. This isn't like switching Chansey in on a normal Special attacker where you get to set up Rocks, status the switch-in, pass Wishes, or drop an Aromatherapy. You're still losing a Pokemon until it wakes up.

You forgot to mention that sap sipper stops whimsicott as well. Grasswhistle, stun spore and leech seed are all grass moves. I've been using sludge bomb sap sipper goodra to check whimsicott and it did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, most other sap sipper mons aren't as viable and even goodra doesn't counter whimsicott because moonblast still hurts and it lacks reliable recovery.

Anyway, I totally agree with AlljokesAside here on banning Whimsicott. The prankster sub seed set is unstoppable and the few checks and counters it has are weak to either giga drain, moonblast or hurricane, so basically depending on what set it runs Whimsicott has no counters. Banning just grass whistle doesn't solve this

I haven't seen a single person here mention that sap sipper stops whimsicott as well. Grasswhistle, stun spore and leech seed are all grass moves. I've been using sludge bomb sap sipper goodra to check whimsicott and it did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, most other sap sipper mons aren't as viable and even goodra doesn't counter whimsicott because moonblast still hurts and it lacks reliable recovery.
Yellow Dinosaur (Goodra) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard

Goodra is by far my best answer to both Mega Ampharos and Whimsicott, and has a lot of toys to abuse the never-miss mechanic.
Sap Sipper blocks both Grasswhistle and Leech Seed. Whimsicott is OHKO'd by Sludge Bomb/Wave regardless of spread.
Blizzard is just filler. Maybe Earthquake/Dragon Tail/Iron Tail with a Mild nature to have some use off of the +1 Atk from Sap Sipper.
Seriously though, without the Whimsicott ban, every team is pretty much forced to get either a Whimsicott counter or a Whimsicott sleep fodder.

I've had some success using Magic Guard Clefable to stop the leech seed spam, but only if I offer one of my Pokemon as fodder. My Clefable does a pretty good job as a CharY bait as well, who then gets pummeled by a perfect Thunder even under the sun.

To be fair though, almost every tier has Pokémon you simply must prepare for. In OU you must prepare for Mega Metagross; in Ubers you must prepare for Primal Groudon; in STABmons you must prepare for Ursaring. I'm not for or against a Whimsicott ban, at this stage I'm playing Devil's Advocate.

To be fair though, almost every tier has Pokémon you simply must prepare for. In OU you must prepare for Mega Metagross; in Ubers you must prepare for Primal Groudon; in STABmons you must prepare for Ursaring. I'm not for or against a Whimsicott ban, at this stage I'm playing Devil's Advocate.
Those are not very good comparisons at all. Those three can't make matches an instant 6-5 from sleep, and you don't get as restricted in team-building options.
"Whimsicott counter + other mons" is not a very good mindset in making teams. And Whimsicott counters that aren't dead weight against teams with no Whimsicott boils down to Goodra and Crobat (to some extent).

I'm with you in that I'm not really for or against a Whimsicott ban. I've never lost an NGG match against Whimsicott, but so far I'm finding less and less reasons why it shouldn't be banned. If it comes to that, I'd prefer the Prankster+Whistle ban, solely because the cotton sheep will still be fun to use.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
I don't understand the hype for Whimsicott. I just think that other Sleep inducing pokemon are much better than it, such as Crobat, Mega Sceptile, Gengar, Mega Gardevoir (it can now cripple all of its checks/counters), Clefable (not fast, but Clefable is such a good Pokemon), even Chansey. All of these Pokemon have the most important thing over Whimsicott - they can actually do stuff after Sleeping. Whimsicott can only use its shitty SubSeed set, except it's an even worst version of it because it's not even running Encore. Crobat can stall break, Mega Sceptile can be a fast and dangerous threat to offensive teams, Gengar can Sub 2 attacks now that Focus Blast will never miss, Mega Gardevoir can break walls, Clefable is Clefable, and Chansey is Chansey. All of these things can actually do stuff, and the free turn that they have is actually threatening for the player. Whimsicott does nothing notable outside of sleeping 1 Pokemon. People say that Whims makes it 6-5, but it's more like Whims makes it 5-5 because you have a Whimsicott on your team.

I don't understand the hype for Whimsicott. I just think that other Sleep inducing pokemon are much better than it, such as Crobat, Mega Sceptile, Gengar, Mega Gardevoir (it can now cripple all of its checks/counters), Clefable (not fast, but Clefable is such a good Pokemon), even Chansey. All of these Pokemon have the most important thing over Whimsicott - they can actually do stuff after Sleeping. Whimsicott can only use its shitty SubSeed set, except it's an even worst version of it because it's not even running Encore. Crobat can stall break, Mega Sceptile can be a fast and dangerous threat to offensive teams, Gengar can Sub 2 attacks now that Focus Blast will never miss, Mega Gardevoir can break walls, Clefable is Clefable, and Chansey is Chansey. All of these things can actually do stuff, and the free turn that they have is actually threatening for the player. Whimsicott does nothing notable outside of sleeping 1 Pokemon. People say that Whims makes it 6-5, but it's more like Whims makes it 5-5 because you have a Whimsicott on your team.
Having other viable sleep-inducers is beside the point. Red herring.

SubSeed is now almost unbreakable on teams without a dedicated Whimsicott counter. Watch AllJokesAside's replays. You don't even need Encore. The old SubSeed set requires you to predict when to switch into a setup move. This one needs no prediction and just fires off a whistle.

1. Whimsicott vs your Pokemon not called Goodra
2. Whimsicott Grass Whistle, your Pokemon is now asleep
3. Whimsicott Subs, you switch out (waiting it out is not an option because of Prankster substitutes)
4. Whimsicott Leech Seed, you break the sub, Leech Seed drains HP
5-A. Whimsicott Subs, you break the sub, Leech Seed drains HP
5-B. Whimsicott Subs, you switch out, go back to step 4.

The only way that this could fail is if Whimsicott is against a Grass-type, and even then it's now probably asleep (it's not immune to whistle). Whimsicott just safely subs anyway and fires off some attacks while you slumber, or switches to the extremely common Inferno users.

Like I said, I've never lost to a Whimsicott, primarily because I always have some way to deal with it. But it's getting painful to look at some teams with a Whimsicott counter that becomes dead weight because I never use the sheep. You can't blame them because Whimsicott is that bad. It feels like I'm winning unfairly.
Granted, there are always troublesome Pokemon in any metagame, but you're never limited to just one or two specific counters (that are still usable outside of countering).
Not everyone is willing to build around Goodra or Lum Berry Crobat.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Having other viable sleep-inducers is beside the point. Red herring.
I said there are other viable sleep-inducers that are better than Whimsicott, which I still haven't seen any indication that this isn't true. How is that a Red Herring? How can Whimsicott be broken but not the other, better sleep abusers like Mega Sceptile, who directly outclasses it if its running SubSeed (which isn't even a good set). The chart that you posted about Whims basically applies to Mega Sceptile, except replace all instances of "prankster" with "ludicrous speed". Hell, SubSeed isn't even the best Whimsicott set - the U-Turn set seems much better.

SubSeed is now almost unbreakable on teams without a dedicated Whimsicott counter. Watch AllJokesAside's replays. You don't even need Encore. The old SubSeed set requires you to predict when to switch into a setup move. This one needs no prediction and just fires off a whistle.
Things that can break SubSeed:
  • Mutli-Hit moves from the likes of Mega Heracross, Cloyster, Mamoswine if it chooses to run Icicle Spear, and Cincinno - Cincinno being a stretch, but it could be viable since it has access to Sing
  • Roar / Whirlwind from Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Skarmoy, Mega Aggron, Mega Latias, Empoleon, Heatran,
  • Other Sing / Grass Whistle users such as Mega Sceptile, Chansey, Clefable, Meloetta, and Mega Venusaur
  • Sound-based moves, which I think the only abusers are Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and sometimes Mega Altaria
  • Taunt users, while they have to take a Leech Seed, can shut down Whimsicott very easily. Pokemon such as Talonflame, Heatran, Crobat,
  • Encore is a lot less common, but things like Politoed and Mega Alakazam like to use it.
  • Any Grass-type - Ferrothorn in particular uses Whimsicott as set-up fodder and cannot be touched outside of HP Fire which doesn't even OHKO
  • Magic Bounce shuts down SubSeed
  • Rapid Spinners can spin away Leech Seed. Forretress notably can set-up hazards on Whims
There's probably other things that I am overlooking here, but whatever. Whims is complete set-up fodder for hazard (Skarm sets up all over Whims and then blows it away) and other things like CM users with a recovery move (Mega Sableye only really cares if you're packing Moonblast, Mega Latias doesn't care that much for Moonblast, Clefable really doesn't care all that much, ect) and both Soundproof and Sap Sipper don't particularly care, although I will admit that most aren't that viable outside of like Goodra. Also SubSeed itself isn't particularly threatening - very annoying, but not that threatening.

As a side note, running Lum is not just for Whimsicott - it could also be for the plethora of other status that are being spread around with moves such as Zap Cannon, Inferno, Dynamic Punch, and every other sleep abuser

You can even remove Goodra with Dugtrio if you want to build around Whimsicott.

Gourgeist is also a sleep counter btw, but the problem is that most sleep inducers outside of Whimsifluffball can hit it SE.

Also, things like Skarmory and Clefable just get put to sleep and then you switch or U-turn to a counter.

I've found Infiltrator Chandelure to be a particularly good way to shut down Whimsicott, as it resists both its STABs and fires off a free Inferno or get up a free sub on any subseed attempt. Scarfed variants are also great at dealing with Mew, Gengar, Starmie, Jirachi, Durant, and most physical attackers so it certainly does pull its own weight regardless of the presence of Whimsicott.

Of course, you still need to use something as sleep fodder to deal with it, but that's something that applies to a variety of Pokemon in NGG and not just Whimsicott. I won't argue against the point that subseed Whimsicott is an extremely threatening force in the metagame. I've had my unprepared teams be torn apart by it and any good NGG team absolutely does need a way to deal with it. But there are enough viable ways to do so that I can't really say it overcentralizes the metagame or restricts team-building for me.

Last edited:
Well, that's fun and all. But the metagame is stupidly centralised around this Cotton-ball-of-death. The fact that you either give it a free sub seed, or it u-turns into a counter is just horribly hard to build around. Yes, you have some underrated threats that can counter it, like Goodra, Gourgeist ect. But these pokemon are so close to useless in the actual metagame, this isn't Whimsicott being uncounterable, it's Whimsicott being Centralising.

To add to The Reptile's list of things that screw over the Whimsicott sub-seed set.

-Infiltrators of any sort, since they ignore the Substitute with everything they do.

-U-Turn pairs: after something has taken the Sleep, Whimsicott is basically helpless against this, and can't get back the HP it's spending on Substitutes like it wants to. If it switches, you are of course U-Turning out to whatever can deal with what they switched in, putting Whimsicott's player into a no-win situation.

-Resttalk builds can simply soak the Sleep and use Sleep Talk.

-Perish Song bypasses the Substitute, and forces out the Sub-seed build.

Well, that's fun and all. But the metagame is stupidly centralised around this Cotton-ball-of-death. The fact that you either give it a free sub seed, or it u-turns into a counter is just horribly hard to build around. Yes, you have some underrated threats that can counter it, like Goodra, Gourgeist ect. But these pokemon are so close to useless in the actual metagame, this isn't Whimsicott being uncounterable, it's Whimsicott being Centralising.
Please stop ignoring the trillion ways you can effortlessly bypass the Subseed build. Please stop pretending Whimsicott is uniquely capable with Sleep+U-Turn: there are infinitely superior Pokemon out there for doing that, which nobody is crying foul about, not even you. Don't pretend Whimsicott is the only Pokemon capable of both ends of things: Jumpluff can do it, with Infiltrator-backed Sleep Powder only functioning worse against Grass types, whom hard-wall a Subseed build anyway. (And Jumpluff can run with STAB Aerial Ace or Acrobatics to punch out Grass types, giving it an advantage there) And don't say something to the effect of "but Jumpluff is shitty and unviable", that's just bullshit. Jumpluff has more Speed, more bulk, a more useful attacking STAB to go with Subseed shenanigans, and even its typing isn't necessarily worse or less useful than Whimsicott's. All Whimsicott has over it, definitively, is Prankster (Which is largely irrelevant to the Subseed shenanigans at their nutty Speed tiers) and more in its offensive stats.

It's only centralizing if you stick your fingers in your ears and ignore all the things that ruin Whimsicott's day. The list is long, and includes many things that are plenty viable anyway. Sap Sipper, Soundproof, and Vital Spirit/Insomnia choices are just the few things that take Whimsicott from "OK" to "Actively a liability on your team". They are not the only things that cause it major problems.

And if you're fixated on the idea that oh no it can put something to Sleep, well, there's tons of things that can put problems to Sleep, many of which are actually, you know, threatening. Nobody's pushing for Mega Sceptile to be banned, and it's way more threatening as a Subseed abuser.

Whimsicott is annoying and, like Shedinja, can cause enormous problems for certain teams that might be viable if it didn't exist, but honestly probably wouldn't be viable anyway.

You can even remove Goodra with Dugtrio if you want to build around Whimsicott.

Gourgeist is also a sleep counter btw, but the problem is that most sleep inducers outside of Whimsifluffball can hit it SE.

Also, things like Skarmory and Clefable just get put to sleep and then you switch or U-turn to a counter.
You switched in Skarmory or Clefable into Whimsicott before it put something to Sleep, why?

Whimsicott doesn't get to choose what it puts to Sleep. Its opponent does. If you're letting your Whimsicott check/counter get to put to Sleep by Whimsicott, then you shouldn't be surprised when Whimsicott is a problem for you. It's not like Whimsicott is so threatening you don't want to switch non-counters into it. Even things weak to Moon Blast don't take that much damage from it.

Because Espeon and Xatu are literally garbage Ghoul, and the fact that you have to resort to using them shows how stupidly centralising they are. And I personally run taunt with support sufficient enough that I can handle both Diancie and Mega Sableye, it's been putting in insane amount of work
Who said you have to "resort to them"? My point is that you're misrepresenting the situation to play up Whimsicott's threat level by leaving out options that are problems for it, which is in line with your later post that continues to pretend there's only a handful of things that give Whimsicott trouble/allow teams to beat Whimsicott reliably, which is complete and utter bullshit.

If you think Whimsicott is hot stuff, that's fine, whatever. But you're actively misrepresenting the difficulty in dealing with it, and I don't care if you're right about Whimsicott being banworthy or not: excluding facts to support your argument is bullshit, regardless of whether your position is correct or not.

---

But seriously, can we get Dynamic Punch banned already? The majority of my losses have revolved around Dynamic Punch Confusion hax, and I'm tired of it.

Last edited:
To add to The Reptile's list of things that screw over the Whimsicott sub-seed set.

-Infiltrators of any sort, since they ignore the Substitute with everything they do.

-U-Turn pairs: after something has taken the Sleep, Whimsicott is basically helpless against this, and can't get back the HP it's spending on Substitutes like it wants to. If it switches, you are of course U-Turning out to whatever can deal with what they switched in, putting Whimsicott's player into a no-win situation.

-Resttalk builds can simply soak the Sleep and use Sleep Talk.

-Perish Song bypasses the Substitute, and forces out the Sub-seed build.

Please stop ignoring the trillion ways you can effortlessly bypass the Subseed build. Please stop pretending Whimsicott is uniquely capable with Sleep+U-Turn: there are infinitely superior Pokemon out there for doing that, which nobody is crying foul about, not even you. Don't pretend Whimsicott is the only Pokemon capable of both ends of things: Jumpluff can do it, with Infiltrator-backed Sleep Powder only functioning worse against Grass types, whom hard-wall a Subseed build anyway. (And Jumpluff can run with STAB Aerial Ace or Acrobatics to punch out Grass types, giving it an advantage there) And don't say something to the effect of "but Jumpluff is shitty and unviable", that's just bullshit. Jumpluff has more Speed, more bulk, a more useful attacking STAB to go with Subseed shenanigans, and even its typing isn't necessarily worse or less useful than Whimsicott's. All Whimsicott has over it, definitively, is Prankster (Which is largely irrelevant to the Subseed shenanigans at their nutty Speed tiers) and more in its offensive stats.

It's only centralizing if you stick your fingers in your ears and ignore all the things that ruin Whimsicott's day. The list is long, and includes many things that are plenty viable anyway. Sap Sipper, Soundproof, and Vital Spirit/Insomnia choices are just the few things that take Whimsicott from "OK" to "Actively a liability on your team". They are not the only things that cause it major problems.

And if you're fixated on the idea that oh no it can put something to Sleep, well, there's tons of things that can put problems to Sleep, many of which are actually, you know, threatening. Nobody's pushing for Mega Sceptile to be banned, and it's way more threatening as a Subseed abuser.

Whimsicott is annoying and, like Shedinja, can cause enormous problems for certain teams that might be viable if it didn't exist, but honestly probably wouldn't be viable anyway.

You switched in Skarmory or Clefable into Whimsicott before it put something to Sleep, why?

Whimsicott doesn't get to choose what it puts to Sleep. Its opponent does. If you're letting your Whimsicott check/counter get to put to Sleep by Whimsicott, then you shouldn't be surprised when Whimsicott is a problem for you. It's not like Whimsicott is so threatening you don't want to switch non-counters into it. Even things weak to Moon Blast don't take that much damage from it.

Who said you have to "resort to them"? My point is that you're misrepresenting the situation to play up Whimsicott's threat level by leaving out options that are problems for it, which is in line with your later post that continues to pretend there's only a handful of things that give Whimsicott trouble/allow teams to beat Whimsicott reliably, which is complete and utter bullshit.

If you think Whimsicott is hot stuff, that's fine, whatever. But you're actively misrepresenting the difficulty in dealing with it, and I don't care if you're right about Whimsicott being banworthy or not: excluding facts to support your argument is bullshit, regardless of whether your position is correct or not.

---

But seriously, can we get Dynamic Punch banned already? The majority of my losses have revolved around Dynamic Punch Confusion hax, and I'm tired of it.
No, I've already said that it isn't hard to deal with if you really wanted too. Assault vest Sap sipper Goodra is a complete counter, unfortunately Sap Sipper goodra is a god damn gimmick, and so is most of these other "counters". I'm saying it's centralising too the point where you have to use these things, or random Lum berries/Sleep talks just to handle it.

Also woo, Dpunch is gone, Whimsicott next?

I don't understand why people complain about Whimsicott putting something to sleep while many things like Mega Altaria with Sing can also put something to Sleep, THEN actually set up Dragon Dance and sweep. Gengar can also put you to sleep, set up sub and something will die unless you bring a bulky poke Specially, unlike Whimsicott who can only stall it with SubSeed. Why? Because Shadow Ball + Focus Blast provides perfect coverage. Everything with Sleep can cripple its counters and checks, not just Whimsicott.

As for SubSeed, there are a ton of ways to deal with it, like Ghoul King mentioned. I've been using either Talonflame or Mega Venusaur to deal with it, as well as bring my own sleep abuser (no, not Whimsicott) and I'd say my team does pretty well. Of course I have to fodder one poke to sleep or bring Lum Berry, but my poke with a Sleep move can also put opponent's poke to Sleep, so that's not a problem.

I still haven't find Whimsicott broken. It IS annoying, but you have a ton of ways to deal with it. As for sleep, other pokes can abuse that AND actually do something than just SubSeed stalling. Sleep in general is powerful (be thankful there is a Sleep Clause for this).

I don't understand why people complain about Whimsicott putting something to sleep while many things like Mega Altaria with Sing can also put something to Sleep, THEN actually set up Dragon Dance and sweep. Gengar can also put you to sleep, set up sub and something will die unless you bring a bulky poke Specially, unlike Whimsicott who can only stall it with SubSeed. Why? Because Shadow Ball + Focus Blast provides perfect coverage. Everything with Sleep can cripple its counters and checks, not just Whimsicott.

As for SubSeed, there are a ton of ways to deal with it, like Ghoul King mentioned. I've been using either Talonflame or Mega Venusaur to deal with it, as well as bring my own sleep abuser (no, not Whimsicott) and I'd say my team does pretty well. Of course I have to fodder one poke to sleep or bring Lum Berry, but my poke with a Sleep move can also put opponent's poke to Sleep, so that's not a problem.

I still haven't find Whimsicott broken. It IS annoying, but you have a ton of ways to deal with it. As for sleep, other pokes can abuse that AND actually do something than just SubSeed stalling. Sleep in general is powerful (be thankful there is a Sleep Clause for this).
You say this as if Subseed isn't killing anything, it's really difficult to prevent Whimsicott from widdling a huge part of your team just with Leech seed + the occational Moonblast.

And you know damn why we're not talking about Mega Altaria, Mega altaria already has 4mms and can't run Sing without either going mono fairy or losing roost, the first making you fodder for a fuck-ton of shit and the ladder making you just a shittier Zard X.

Gengar doesn't have priority, and it's fairly weak to priority and scarfers.

The ways to deal with Whimsicott are honestly just shitty and centralised.

It puts something to sleep, then it's essentially getting a free sub, or a leech seed, u-turn, taunt, subencore, giga drain/moonblast. Even stun spore to bait these u-turners and cripple them.

And you're listing talonflame/venusaur as counters when both of them are put to sleep. Then the sub leech seed shenanigans commences, or in the case of M-saur you either u-turn or you Hurricane it. This pokemon is centralising as shit, we've discussed this too much and i honeslty think we should quickban it

No, I've already said that it isn't hard to deal with if you really wanted too. Assault vest Sap sipper Goodra is a complete counter, unfortunately Sap Sipper goodra is a god damn gimmick, and so is most of these other "counters".
A gimmick that counters Tornadus-T, Charizard Y, Gengar, and pretty much every other special attacker in the game as well as putting a stop to the most prevalent sleep-inducer in the metagame. That's a pretty good gimmick.

canno

formerly The Reptile
No, I've already said that it isn't hard to deal with if you really wanted too. Assault vest Sap sipper Goodra is a complete counter, unfortunately Sap Sipper goodra is a god damn gimmick, and so is most of these other "counters". I'm saying it's centralising too the point where you have to use these things, or random Lum berries/Sleep talks just to handle it.
I didn't realize Skarmory, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Magic Guard Clefable, anything that uses ResTalk such as M-Amph, Talonflame, Goodra, Grass-types in general, and Magic Guard (and I'm probably forgetting some things) were all gimmicks.

Of course, you're just going to say that they're all asleep whenever they're against a Whimsicott because apparently Whimsicott can choose exactly what Pokemon it puts to sleep (but apparently not Mega Altaria, who suddenly becomes fodder if it runs Sing or Gengar, who has issues with scarfers and priority), so arguing is a bit pointless.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)