No Guard Galaxy

This is a stupid and insignificant question, but how does Mold Breaker work in this meta? It would seem to bypass the opponent's No Guard and allow you to miss, but then you yourself also have No Guard.

tysequaine

80% sexy, 20% disgusting
This is a stupid and insignificant question, but how does Mold Breaker work in this meta? It would seem to bypass the opponent's No Guard and allow you to miss, but then you yourself also have No Guard.
From what I've read of the thread, it doesn't seem to be as much an addition of the No Guard ability as it is a removal of the accuracy check in general, so it shouldn't matter either way. Otherwise yeah, the Mold Breaker would also have No Guard so it breaking the opponent's No Guard doesn't really matter.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 208 HP / 220 Def / 8 SpA / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Grass Whistle
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast/Giga Drain

This pokemon (Whimsicott) can be major threat since grass whistle can put the target to sleep thanx to Valmanway it will not miss since it can't miss then this pokemon can be used as a finisher by putting the target to sleep also that ability and speed really makes it a good mon.Encore is the next useful move which really helps whimsicott to tackle defensive flying mons by putting encore while it is using roost and then whistle and leech seed also watch out for fire mons which really reks so it is advised to have heatran with it which can get more heat power :afrostar: and then using back to the opp.'s mon with magma storm or fire blast.Leftovers is used alongside Giga Drain to retain some defensive pressure, despite this being an offensive set.Also if you think that you have a grass mon with it or any grass move and still there is any weakness of fairy move you may just simple use moonblast over giga drain.Both are good so you have to think according to your team.
Usage tips
Switch Whimsicott in on a setup sweeper or support move user where Encore can be used. Revenge kill Dragon-, Water-, and Ground-types.Prankster + encore and all is just awesome and awesome!
Major threats

Fre-type pokemons , steel type pokemons and also Talonflame! with its Gale wings. also watch out for others priorities and grass immuners eg- ferrothorn which really pisses ._.

IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS POKEMON THEN YOU ARE A GENIUS :)

This pokemon is really good also a threat to the tier .-. there are many sets which supports team by setting rocks and webs also by nuzzling (paralyzing) the target and then you may set wutever you want and what I see was not u.u but this may be like a joke for some and really good for some so I am just sharing this what I saw is that this pokemon cannot learn just 1 move with less accuracy but two which are really good.and the moves are Zap cannon and Inferno. As I said that this may be a joke for you since it SpA is not too high but why do you care just beliece that you will get hax and will paralyze the target for more time :p and will change into next pokemon for setting rocks , spikes or webs.The 2 sets which are usable are:-
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Explosion

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature :p sorry forgot one*
- Inferno
- Zap Cannon
- Trick
- U-turn

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of my thoughts on newly usable awesome moves.

Zap Cannon: I can already see Raikou being the top user, and being really awesome with Zap Cannon. Jolteon gives it competition, but it's only benefit is being 15 points faster. But I still think Raikou will come out on top. Raikou is stronger and quite a bit thicker, with Aura Sphere coverage, ESpeed, and Calm Mind. Eelektross is way slower and weaker, Mega Amp is stronger (tho specs or CM Raikou gets close) and has dragon STAB coverage, but I still think Raikou's speed and Aura Sphere will bring it out on top.

Inferno: MegaZardY is without a doubt the strongest, with Chandelure coming in second. ZardY has the best movepool and stats, I'd put it as the best user of the move. If you already have a mega though and still want an Inferno user, it's down to Typhlosion, Chandy, and Victini. Typhlosion is faster yet weaker than Chandy, isn't pursuit weak, but Chandy has energy ball and ghost typing. Victini is stronger physically so I wouldn't consider it unless a mixed attacker.

Dynamic Punch: Iron Fist Conkeldurr has the strongest hit with the move, if you don't want a different type other than fighting, iron fist golurk has a strong one also. Medicham likes it although it's much weaker than HJK, Electivire enjoys the strong coverage. Conkeldurr is probably the best though. Poor, poor Machamp.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 208 HP / 220 Def / 8 SpA / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Grass Whistle
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast/Giga Drain

This pokemon (Whimsicott) can be major threat since grass whistle can put the target to sleep thanx to Valmanway it will not miss since it can't miss then this pokemon can be used as a finisher by putting the target to sleep also that ability and speed really makes it a good mon.Encore is the next useful move which really helps whimsicott to tackle defensive flying mons by putting encore while it is using roost and then whistle and leech seed also watch out for fire mons which really reks so it is advised to have heatran with it which can get more heat power :afrostar: and then using back to the opp.'s mon with magma storm or fire blast.Leftovers is used alongside Giga Drain to retain some defensive pressure, despite this being an offensive set.Also if you think that you have a grass mon with it or any grass move and still there is any weakness of fairy move you may just simple use moonblast over giga drain.Both are good so you have to think according to your team.
Usage tips
Switch Whimsicott in on a setup sweeper or support move user where Encore can be used. Revenge kill Dragon-, Water-, and Ground-types.Prankster + encore and all is just awesome and awesome!
Major threats

Fre-type pokemons , steel type pokemons and also Talonflame! with its Gale wings. also watch out for others priorities and grass immuners eg- ferrothorn which really pisses ._.

IF YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS POKEMON THEN YOU ARE A GENIUS :)

This pokemon is really good also a threat to the tier .-. there are many sets which supports team by setting rocks and webs also by nuzzling (paralyzing) the target and then you may set wutever you want and what I see was not u.u but this may be like a joke for some and really good for some so I am just sharing this what I saw is that this pokemon cannot learn just 1 move with less accuracy but two which are really good.and the moves are Zap cannon and Inferno. As I said that this may be a joke for you since it SpA is not too high but why do you care just beliece that you will get hax and will paralyze the target for more time :p and will change into next pokemon for setting rocks , spikes or webs.The 2 sets which are usable are:-
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Explosion

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
- Inferno
- Zap Cannon
- Trick
- U-turn
only nineties kids remember smeargle, fuck i'm old, dae hate that popular crap???

In all seriousness, Smeargle actually seems mediocre here. Thoughts:
  • Sticky Webs seems supbar, as Zap Cannon exists as exceptionally effective speed control. At least use Shuckle so Taunt doesn't melt you.
  • Many sleep move users are faster and/or bulkier than Smeargle and just as reliable. Mew gets Stealth Rock, Zap Cannon, Hypnosis, and Explosion to do mostly the same thing but better.
  • Smeargle is pitifully weak, and even powerful moves mean that it is nigh-obligated to switch out immediately. It can't even OHKO double weaknesses. For that matter, given their pitiful PPs, it would be better off just carrying Nuzzle and Will-O-Wisp.
  • Victini gets Inferno, Trick, and U-Turn for a Scarf set while being better in every way except lacking Zap Cannon. Mew gets Zap Cannon, U-Turn, and Trick, not to mention anything else in its bottomless pit of a movepool.
  • You can either paralyze or burn a foe, not both, so being able to do both on one set is not actually a drastic increase in your status spreading abilities, especially if you are locked into a move.
tl;dr smeargle is even more outclassed here than in standard, almost definitely don't use it.

Some of my thoughts on newly usable awesome moves.

Zap Cannon: I can already see Raikou being the top user, and being really awesome with Zap Cannon. Jolteon gives it competition, but it's only benefit is being 15 points faster. But I still think Raikou will come out on top. Raikou is stronger and quite a bit thicker, with Aura Sphere coverage, ESpeed, and Calm Mind. Eelektross is way slower and weaker, Mega Amp is stronger (tho specs or CM Raikou gets close) and has dragon STAB coverage, but I still think Raikou's speed and Aura Sphere will bring it out on top.

Inferno: MegaZardY is without a doubt the strongest, with Chandelure coming in second. ZardY has the best movepool and stats, I'd put it as the best user of the move. If you already have a mega though and still want an Inferno user, it's down to Typhlosion, Chandy, and Victini. Typhlosion is faster yet weaker than Chandy, isn't pursuit weak, but Chandy has energy ball and ghost typing. Victini is stronger physically so I wouldn't consider it unless a mixed attacker.

Dynamic Punch: Iron Fist Conkeldurr has the strongest hit with the move, if you don't want a different type other than fighting, iron fist golurk has a strong one also. Medicham likes it although it's much weaker than HJK, Electivire enjoys the strong coverage. Conkeldurr is probably the best though. Poor, poor Machamp.
Aura Spere is crap on Raikou

Aura Spere is crap on Raikou
Aura Sphere is only "crap" on it in most cases since it requires a Rash nature, but I would say that it's worth running here since Zap Cannon also requires a Rash nature. Scarf sets can also offset the speed drop and Specs/Zap Plate are really strong with Rash, so I think Zap Cannon and Aura Sphere could be worth running on it here.

I haven't even played a game in NGG yet though, so don't take my word for it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aura Sphere is only "crap" on it in most cases since it requires a Rash nature, but I would say that it's worth running here since Zap Cannon also requires a Rash nature. Scarf sets can also offset the speed drop and Specs/Zap Plate are really strong with Rash, so I think Zap Cannon and Aura Sphere could be worth running on it here.

I haven't even played a game in NGG yet though, so don't take my word for it.
Or you could just run Thunder, which is still a 30% chance anyway and has 10 more BP. Definitely better than a rash nature for the sake of a mostly redundant move.

I don't think much changes for Raikou outside of using Thunder>T-Bolt and having a better matchup v.s. the meta due to its typing making it both resistant to Flash Cannon and immune to paralysis. I could see its AV set being pretty big for its ability to pivot through M-Amphy reliably (forces a stalemate v.s. it every time it comes in; if paired with Wish/Healing Wish it could prove a good pivot).

Another interesting addition is Lanturn. Its access to Volt Absorb, Volt Switch and a bolstered Thunder, as well as Heal Bell to support its allies and Scald to burn anything that Thunder doesn't paralyze, it could prove a valuable asset to a large number of balanced and bulky offensive teams.

Or you could just run Thunder, which is still a 30% chance anyway and has 10 more BP. Definitely better than a rash nature for the sake of a mostly redundant move.

I don't think much changes for Raikou outside of using Thunder>T-Bolt and having a better matchup v.s. the meta due to its typing making it both resistant to Flash Cannon and immune to paralysis. I could see its AV set being pretty big for its ability to pivot through M-Amphy reliably (forces a stalemate v.s. it every time it comes in; if paired with Wish/Healing Wish it could prove a good pivot).

Another interesting addition is Lanturn. Its access to Volt Absorb, Volt Switch and a bolstered Thunder, as well as Heal Bell to support its allies and Scald to burn anything that Thunder doesn't paralyze, it could prove a valuable asset to a large number of balanced and bulky offensive teams.
Actually, Zap Cannon was buffed to 120 BP in Gen IV, so there is a very real power difference between Timid Thunder and Rash Zap Cannon.

EDIT: Anyway, now that I've had some games on the ladder, Mega Ampharos in Trick Room is freakish. There's not a lot of Pokemon that comfortably take Zap Cannons. Incidentally, it's great for taking Zap Cannons. Now I just gotta figure out how to properly pass it Wishes.

EDIT 2: Sleep spam is stupid.

Last edited:
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Explosion

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
- Inferno
- Zap Cannon
- Trick
- U-turn
As stated earlier, Sing/Grasswhistle are better in this meta because they bypass subs and don't worry about missing.
Also, please do yourself a favor and use something other than Smeargle. There isn't any reason to not use one of the many other mons that can abuse moves like Inferno, Zap Cannon, Sing, etc.

I want to say that Espeon has been hilariously good - you switch in on a Whimsicott Grasswhistle, bounce it back, set up a Calm Mind and/or Substitute, Baton Pass it to Tornadus-T or Zard Y, and proceed to wreak havoc. Granted, I'm fairly certain that once the ladder has been up for a few days, people will catch onto this and play around it, but I'm abusing it until people start countering it.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I want to say that Espeon has been hilariously good - you switch in on a Whimsicott Grasswhistle, bounce it back, set up a Calm Mind and/or Substitute, Baton Pass it to Tornadus-T or Zard Y, and proceed to wreak havoc. Granted, I'm fairly certain that once the ladder has been up for a few days, people will catch onto this and play around it, but I'm abusing it until people start countering it.
Quick question, but why would you use Espeon as your Whimsi check instead Xatu (who isn't weak to U-Turn and has enough open moveslots to run a healing move (iirc the only set this thing runs is Thunder Wave+Roost+U-Turn+Night Shade w/ lefties/helmet) - allowing it to come in repeatedly to check it)?

Speaking of ways of beating Whimsi, Goodra is a hard counter to this thing, taking next to nothing from Moonblast from non-LO variants (0 SpA Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 80-96 (20.9 - 25.1%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO), being immune to Grass Whistle due to Sap Sipper and OHKOing with Fire Blast after rocks (252+ SpA Goodra Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 296-350 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock) or Sludge Bomb/Wave without rocks (do I even need to calc a 4x hit when Fire Blast did that much?).
Actually, Zap Cannon was buffed to 120 BP in Gen IV, so there is a very real power difference between Timid Thunder and Rash Zap Cannon.
I didn't know that. Still, I don't think that the extra 1.2x boost in BP ((120/110)*1.1=1.2 (before STAB); ((120*1.5)/(110*1.5))*1.1=1.2 (after STAB)) and a 100% paralysis rate over what is already a reasonably high paralysis rate anyway (I think its safe to say that Scald and Focus Miss have proven that a 30% chance ≅ a 100% chance anyway) is really worth sacrificing what is easily one of the best speed tiers in the game (which is an especially good one when you consider it can't be paralysed while everything faster (and viable) before items barring M-Man and I guess M-Zam that has traced from a pre-mega Lopunny that it doubled into (does that even count?) can be para'd, making it the second best permanent speed tier in the format assuming noone uses String Shot or something).

Fire Ant (Durant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Yellow Dinosaur (Goodra) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard

Aqua Genie (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Capybara (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Thunderbird (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Rush
- Return
- Sing
- Dragon Dance

Doom Monkey (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

My team performed pretty well against a couple of offensive and balanced teams.

Goodra is by far my best answer to both Mega Ampharos and Whimsicott, and has a lot of toys to abuse the never-miss mechanic.
Sap Sipper blocks both Grasswhistle and Leech Seed. Whimsicott is OHKO'd by Sludge Bomb/Wave regardless of spread.
Blizzard is just filler. Maybe Earthquake/Dragon Tail/Iron Tail with a Mild nature to have some use off of the +1 Atk from Sap Sipper.

As for Mega Ampharos:
All-Out Attacker
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 170-204 (44.2 - 53.1%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Mega Ampharos: 384-452 (108.4 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Specially Defensive
28 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 134-162 (34.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 284-336 (74.1 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

For my other mons, Cloud Nine Altaria is amazing. It softens Charizard's Inferno somewhat by eliminating the sun. Also: Sing. As usual, having a sleep move on something that can setup is devastating. It gets walled by Steel-types though, so I only use it late in the game.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Fire Ant (Durant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Yellow Dinosaur (Goodra) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Blizzard

Aqua Genie (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Capybara (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Thunderbird (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Rush
- Return
- Sing
- Dragon Dance

Doom Monkey (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- U-turn

My team performed pretty well against a couple of offensive and balanced teams.

Goodra is by far my best answer to both Mega Ampharos and Whimsicott, and has a lot of toys to abuse the never-miss mechanic.
Sap Sipper blocks both Grasswhistle and Leech Seed. Whimsicott is OHKO'd by Sludge Bomb/Wave regardless of spread.
Blizzard is just filler. Maybe Earthquake/Dragon Tail/Iron Tail with a Mild nature to have some use off of the +1 Atk from Sap Sipper.

As for Mega Ampharos:
All-Out Attacker
252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 170-204 (44.2 - 53.1%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Mega Ampharos: 384-452 (108.4 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Specially Defensive
28 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 134-162 (34.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Goodra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Mega Ampharos: 284-336 (74.1 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

For my other mons, Cloud Nine Altaria is amazing. It softens Charizard's Inferno somewhat by eliminating the sun. Also: Sing. As usual, having a sleep move on something that can setup is devastating. It gets walled by Steel-types though, so I only use it late in the game.
What's with Thundy's IVs?
Dragon Rush is redundant coverage on Altaria - you only hit dragons SE which Return does anyway. I'd replace it with either Earthquake for Fire/Poison/Steel (notably tran), or Roost for longetivity.

What's with Thundy's IVs?
Dragon Rush is redundant coverage on Altaria - you only hit dragons SE which Return does anyway. I'd replace it with either Earthquake for Fire/Poison/Steel (notably tran), or Roost for longetivity.
I never noticed Genie's IVs. o__o
Duly noted on the Altaria. It's pretty absurd that I run that set, given I usually go with Earthquake. Maybe the No-Guard meta has gotten into me. :P

Been playing around with a few things and found an excellent counter to Whimsicott in Soundproof Exploud. With access to Boomburst, it not only is immune to grasswhistle but is able to bypass any sub shenanigans as well. On top of that, the meta gave it excellent coverage moves in Fire Blast, Focus Blast and Blizzard.

Quick question, but why would you use Espeon as your Whimsi check instead Xatu (who isn't weak to U-Turn and has enough open moveslots to run a healing move (iirc the only set this thing runs is Thunder Wave+Roost+U-Turn+Night Shade w/ lefties/helmet) - allowing it to come in repeatedly to check it)?
Xatu only gets Baton Pass from XD, so it's illegal with Magic Bounce.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/noguardgalaxy-277049177

Can we get this stupid garbage out of the tier? Grass whistle gives it a free sub and less you're packing something dumb you wont be able to beat it. Fuck Whimsicott

EDIT:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/noguardgalaxy-277051377

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/noguardgalaxy-277060941
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/noguardgalaxy-277090574

Whimsicott is totally annoying but doesn't deserve a ban.
I find other sleep inducers harder to deal with TBH.

Martin

Xatu only gets Baton Pass from XD, so it's illegal with Magic Bounce.
It gets U-Turn through BW/BW2/XY(/ORAS?) TM though, which does Baton Pass' job around 50 times better considering the role it is trying to fill on your team due to the chip damage it puts onto your opponent. Sure, Espeon can CM pass, but considering that one a lot of Whimsi's best partners are other >110 VoltTurners which can KO Espeon after the U-Turn damage, if they expect the pretty obvious Espy switch-in (considering that there is an Espeon, it is safe to assume it is primarily there for Whimsi) and U-Turn it means that you either lose your Whimsi stop or you sacrifice a buttload of momentum just so that it doesn't die. Rocky Helmet Xatu also has a much easier time fitting onto Whimsi-weak builds anyway due to their need for something that reliably take it on repeatedly while also benefitting hugely from the Rocky Helmet "recoil" and U-Turn chip damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)