Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Since the Eevee and the Ralts family get Hyper Voice via Move Tutor I wouldn't consider it too odd getting it since a lot of Pokemon can learn Hyper Voice that way.

What I would like to know how the Ralts family, Mr. Mime, Cleffa, Togetic, Mismagius, and Meowstic are able to use Magical Leaf. Sure they could use their powers to lift leaves up, but if there's no leaves around how does it create them? Are they just made of energy?
Yes. They draw upon the power of the land to generate "grass energy" to make the leaves. Much like Flash Cannon is a beam of "steel energy"

Maybe it's because I've been watching a Kingdom Hearts 2 LP, but this makes Dusknoir look like a concept for a heartless.

What I'm wondering is what defines a Pokemon getting Hyper Voice.

I can accept something like Exploud, where Sound is its thing, or Salamence, which is huge and intimidating and probably has a loud roar. However, two of the Pokemon most famous in the competitive game right now are Sylveon and Gardevoir. Nothing about Eevee (the form that gets the move first) seems like it's particularly cacophonic or ridiculously loud in any way, and Ralts in most depictions seems more like it tries to come off as non-threatening (Growl's original name was something like that) or escape battles (Teleport), so being able to shout so loud it functions as an injuring defense mechanism seems weird.

Gardevoir only makes it stranger because the point of it is to look elegant. I could understand something like Disarming Voice or Sing, things that feel hypnotic or manipulative like a Siren's Song, but Hyper Voice, the only correlation I could make would be if Gardevoir could hit a high note like an Opera singer.
Because it is a Tutor move, I imagine they go through voice lessons until they can damage the foe. I mean, they are called TUTORS, so they are teaching and training the Pokemon to use that move.

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Why does Zangoose not learn Cut?
it's literally all about cutting things, and this cannot be denied. I mean, the thing learns X-Scissor, Swords dance, SLASH, and Hone Claws in its level-up pool, AND has big ol' cuttin' claws. Half of its Pokedex entries mention its claws being used as weapons in some degree.
It's like Gen I lickitung, but GF hasn't adjusted this issue for 3 whole generations.

Why does Zangoose not learn Cut?
it's literally all about cutting things, and this cannot be denied. I mean, the thing learns X-Scissor, Swords dance, SLASH, and Hone Claws in its level-up pool, AND has big ol' cuttin' claws. Half of its Pokedex entries mention its claws being used as weapons in some degree.
It's like Gen I lickitung, but GF hasn't adjusted this issue for 3 whole generations.
Because it doesn't have scissors. *ba dum tss*

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Because it doesn't have scissors. *ba dum tss*
Joke kind of doesn't work when one of the noted moves it can learn is X-Scissor (Scissor Cross in Japanese). :P

As for why, maybe its because its TOO good at cutting things. Cut sounds like a move that does a quick, precise swipe; cutting through an obstacle like a tree or giving the opponent a paper cut like wound. But look like Zangoose's claws, do those claws look like they'll just give you a small slice? No, it's going to leave you with a huge gash! Slash, Fury Cutter, X-Scissor (not to mention Fury Swipes, Metal Claw, Night Slash, and Razor Wind as Egg Moves), that's Zangoose's style! Sure it gets Scratch but hey, they could be it just gently wiping against the opponent. When it's going in to cut something, it's going in to tear it apart!

Though with that all said you'd think it would have the Abilities Hyper Cutter or Tough Claws (heck, Super Luck would also make sense with many of the slash moves having increased critical hit ratios).

Though with that all said you'd think it would have the Abilities Hyper Cutter or Tough Claws (heck, Super Luck would also make sense with many of the slash moves having increased critical hit ratios).

My guess is those were Zangoose's original abilities, and it they got replaced with Immunity and Toixc Boost once it's rivalry with Serviper started. Generations of the most valued and respected Zangoose being the ones who could do the best against Serviper's poison meant the species probably bred out all the Hyper Cutter or Tough Claws in favor of Immunity and Toixc Boost. A pity really, considering they lost out on arguably much better abilities overall, but that's war for you, dumb and costly.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
My guess is those were Zangoose's original abilities, and it they got replaced with Immunity and Toixc Boost once it's rivalry with Serviper started. Generations of the most valued and respected Zangoose being the ones who could do the best against Serviper's poison meant the species probably bred out all the Hyper Cutter or Tough Claws in favor of Immunity and Toixc Boost. A pity really, considering they lost out on much arguably abilities overall, but that's war for you, dumb and costly.
They probably would have better spent their time trying to breed to become part Steel-type and kept the Abilities. :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Double Fighting weakness? Ew.

(And then Seviper gets a Fighting-type signature move, watch.)
You mean just like Durant somehow evolving to become Bug/Steel to defend against their natural predator... who is a Fire-type.

Zangoose would probably want to become Ground/Steel if they wanted to be the perfect Seviper killing machines (maybe its Mega Evolution?). :P

Getting back on topic.

Always thought the Ralts family should have access to Recover, just seems it would fit them.

Sableye probably doesn't learn Power Gem because it would just end up eating the gems it created, rather than use them for fighting. That would be a pretty handy food source though, you've got to admit.
Actually, scratch that, Sableye actually does learn Power Gem. Maybe it can only use it when it's not hungry or something. What I'd be interested in knowing instead is what realistically happens when Power Gem is used on Sableye. As we're speaking of recovery, it might just heal it!

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually, scratch that, Sableye actually does learn Power Gem. Maybe it can only use it when it's not hungry or something. What I'd be interested in knowing instead is what realistically happens when Power Gem is used on Sableye. As we're speaking of recovery, it might just heal it!
Well Power Gem aren't the gems themselves. Here's Power Gem's description:

The user attacks with a ray of light that sparkles as if it were made of gemstones.
Instead of Power Gem you should be wondering about Diamond Storm.

You mean just like Durant somehow evolving to become Bug/Steel to defend against their natural predator... who is a Fire-type.
I always assumed it was the opposite, that Heatmor developed Fire typing because it needed to get inside Durant's Shell.

For other movepool oddities, what exactly defines a Pokemon getting Extremespeed? Quick Attack already gets some odd distribution, but Extremespeed is even weirder. No Pokemon besides Deoxys and Arceus get the move and have over Base 100 Speed.

Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I always assumed it was the opposite, that Heatmor developed Fire typing because it needed to get inside Durant's Shell.

For other movepool oddities, what exactly defines a Pokemon getting Extremespeed? Quick Attack already gets some odd distribution, but Extremespeed is even weirder. No Pokemon besides Deoxys and Arceus get the move and have over Base 100 Speed.
Durant Dex:

They attack in groups, covering themselves in steel armor to protect themselves from Heatmor.
Now I suppose it could have been a chain of evolution. proto-Heatmor evolved to proto-Durant, proto-Durant became part Steel-type to protect themselves, and proto-Heatmor became Fire-type to eat Durant. Dutants now employ a team strategy to drive away Heatmor but who knows whether further down the road they'll change more or its now Heatmor's turn to avoid the Swarm. Would be funny if Durant gets a Mega Evolution first getting the Heat Proof Ability and later Heatmor getting a Mega Evolution with the Mold Breaker Ability.

As for Extreme Speed, it was originally Arcanine's Signature Move to go along with its Pokedex description of it running so agile and gracefully it was like it had wings. However still I can think a bunch of Pokemon that fits that description (the Ponyta family for example) and even for some of the Pokemon that learn it I question a bit (Rayquaza, fine. Deoxys, I guess fine? Don't see it being graceful though. Lucario, once again okay but graceful? Togekiss, fine. Arcues, can't complain here. Zygarde? The ground snake? Was this suppose to be a hint it had other Formes or something?).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Durant Dex:

Now I suppose it could have been a chain of evolution. proto-Heatmor evolved to proto-Durant, proto-Durant became part Steel-type to protect themselves, and proto-Heatmor became Fire-type to eat Durant. Dutants now employ a team strategy to drive away Heatmor but who knows whether further down the road they'll change more or its now Heatmor's turn to avoid the Swarm. Would be funny if Durant gets a Mega Evolution first getting the Heat Proof Ability and later Heatmor getting a Mega Evolution with the Mold Breaker Ability.
Maybe even flash fire or other ability that nullifies fire moves.

Some people had been talking about how Zygarde form/ Mega Zygarde can have an ability to do with inverse battles. I'd say I really want this to be true.
Think about using Durant, Abomasnow, etc.

I'm curious as to why Lucario is capable of learning Blaze Kick, yet somehow not Fire Punch. Bear in mind that it can learn the other two elemental punches. Perhaps only its legs can create enough friction to generate fire while kicking, while its fists are not fast enough while punching?
This is a very good point. I thought maybe those triangles coming out of it's hands might be made of metal, and thus didn't respond well to being set on fire, but Mega Lucario has them on it's legs too. I'm stumped.​

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm curious as to why Lucario is capable of learning Blaze Kick, yet somehow not Fire Punch. Bear in mind that it can learn the other two elemental punches. Perhaps only its legs can create enough friction to generate fire while kicking, while its fists are not fast enough while punching?
Maybe it scrapes its foot against the floor and lights it that way, like a match. That way it only needs to keep its foot alight as soon as it launches the attack which would just be a second or two. It can probably also do it fast enough with its feet than with its fist (and would be harder to see coming). And if you're wondering how scraping its foot on the ground lights it on fire, it is part Steel so it probably create sparks which is what lights its foot on fire temporarily.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't think so. Matches use chemicals that trigger a ignition via friction, and are made of wood besides.
Well I said like a match. As I said below in my mind when it uses Blaze Kick, just before it does the kick, it scrapes its foot against the ground creating sparks. The sparks temporarily lights it foot on fire which it then uses to do the kick. As soon as it's done with the kick the fire goes out either due to the motion of the kick or there's nothing on the foot for the fire to fuel itself on. And since it was only on fire for a second or two it would leave no lasting damage on Lucario.

I never understood why Zangoose can't learn Cut, despite having very sharp claws.
I don't understand Eelektross' moveset in general...how does it learn all these weird moves like Grass Knot and Flamethrower?

EDIT: Apparently I was late to the Zangoose pointout. Oops!...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well I said like a match. As I said below in my mind when it uses Blaze Kick, just before it does the kick, it scrapes its foot against the ground creating sparks. The sparks temporarily lights it foot on fire which it then uses to do the kick. As soon as it's done with the kick the fire goes out either due to the motion of the kick or there's nothing on the foot for the fire to fuel itself on. And since it was only on fire for a second or two it would leave no lasting damage on Lucario.
I honestly think this is a massive stretch as it shouldn't be able to work on just any surface like grass or dirt, plus it doesn't work as an explanation for Fire Punch on other mons.

I've always felt like the puches were just some weird magic or ki or whatnot that most things with arms could tap into.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't understand Eelektross' moveset in general...how does it learn all these weird moves like Grass Knot and Flamethrower?
I exclude TM moves since a lot of the time a Pokemon learns them either because it matches their Type or just to add some coverage. Like how can Normal-types learn so many of the elemental TMs?

I honestly think this is a massive stretch as it shouldn't be able to work on just any surface like grass or dirt, plus it doesn't work as an explanation for Fire Punch on other mons.

I've always felt like the punches were just some weird magic or ki or whatnot that most things with arms could tap into.
Well fine, how about we go the meta direction then? Being a Steel-type obviously it would be odd for it to learn a move that would logically hurt it like Fire Punch, BUT since it can breed with the Torchic family, notably Blaziken, and Blaze Kick has a higher power than Fire Punch they decided to give it that as a bonus. That way if you want a Fire-type move on Lucario for whatever reason you have an option unnatural as it seems. So in-universe it could be a genetic thing, the legs of Riolu hatched from a Blaziken father is able to withstand fire so can use Blaze Kick.

I saw the punches as the Pokemon just surrounding their fists with that element they just so happen able to call. There's some logic behind it like a Pokemon won't draw in an element that would naturally hurt them normally (a Water-type drawing in electricity, a Ground-type drawing in ice) but as long as its type can stand it they can summon that element punch if trained to (there are exceptions but exceptions prove the rule).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)