No Guard Galaxy

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I quoted that portion because I happened to notice it and thought it was funny. But as a side note, the XY dex doesn't even mention SubSeed as an option. In general, SubSeed has been considered an unviable strategy on any Pokemon for the past two generations. It requires half your moveset and is very easy to counter. Even Whimsicott, who you think would be the best user, benefits more from all its other sets. The only reason it kind of works here is because it can sleep something first in order to not get annihilated while setting seeds, but there are still way too many answers to it.

I realize I just got through saying "we should not judge viability based on standard," but nothing about SubSeed itself has changed other than Leech Seed rising to perfect accuracy.
Not trying to invalidate any points, but if you read the second sentence of OO on the Whimsi analysis which is under construction atm you will see that it is there (second sentence means it's good when compared to the rest of OO, as it is mostly listed in order of viability). SubSeed isn't exactly a great option, but to dismiss it is a little rash considering that Whimsi is argubly the second best SubSeeder in standard (only behind Breloom).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/whimsicott-qc-2-3-written-up.3541088/#post-6301611

Anyway, IMO the best way to use Whimsi in this meta is to go with a pivot set similar to the one listed in the analysis which I happened to link above. U-Turn+Grass Whistle / Encore+Moonblast / Giga Drain / Encore+Stun Spore / Encore is more consistent for Whimsi than SubSeeding. Before the inevitable chorus of "why is Grass Whistle only a slash" I'm going to say RN that Grass Whistle is far from mandatory on Whimsi. Generally speaking, you should be using Encore much more than you should use Grass Whistle. The reason I say this is because the utility it provides is still the primary focus of its game, and you should only use Grass Whistle if Whimsi lures a major threat to your team (e.g. if your team is weak to Tran). The key issue with it gaining Grass Whistle to use is that it generates a minor case of 4mss and forces you to think much more about your team's needs. If your team struggles with setup, Encore should be used. If your team struggles with fast attackers, Stun Spore should be used. If your team struggles v.s. Sableye etc. then Moonblast should be used. [insert Water/Ground/Rock-type here]? Giga Drain. I think that Whimsi has been viewed rather two-dimensionally recently, with a huge level of hype surrounding SubSeed. Hell, I was pro ban until yesterday when I realised that SubSeed struggles relative to the meta. If you are using Whimsi, you need to think about more than "lets go with the grass whistle and the substitute and the leech seed and the blahblahblah" because that is a two-dimensional, predictable mindset that can be easily beaten. Lum Crobat is a pretty good answer to it on VoltTurn, and there are plenty of other ways to beat it pretty easily (a favorite of mine on tailwind is Lum Aurorus).

Speaking of Tailwind, it is actually pretty good in the meta ATM. With lots of good users like Whimsi getting buffs (Grass Whistle+Encore+Tailwind+U-turn/Memento is a fun set). Not much else to say than try it cause its fun AF.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've seen the Mag talk and I've tried it, and I've had a lot of success with a mixed scarf set. It takes good advantage of its benchmark+good mixed attacking stats (83 lets it outpace M-Beedrill when fully invested and also allows it to outpace Modest Clawitzer under tailwind (Clawitzer greatly benefits from the improved viability of Tailwind stategies due to Whimsi's buff)). This is what I've been running:

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Iron Tail

The EVs allow it to OHKO pre-mega Diancie with Iron Tail 100% of the time after rocks, and the rest of the coverage is pretty self-explanitory. Diancie is one of the better answers to Mag, so it makes good use of Iron Tail. It has a number of other options it can over Iron Tail tho, such as HP Ice, Psychic and a few other things.

We talked about this in the rankings group, and all of us agreed that at the time being, there is no need for a whimsi ban. The problem with whimsi is that yes its awesome to sleep a mon early on in the game, and prankster allows you to do that as priority, but there are plenty of Pokemon that after a sleep, fucking stop whimsi cold, wether that is gardevoir and sylveon (sound moves), tran with taunt, grass types including mega venusaur and a plethora of other mons. Whimsi is also relatively frail, and although it has nice resistances, it would be 3ohkod by most resisted stabs after rocks switch ins, meaning it isnt the blanket check to the offensive meta like many make it out to be. IMO whimsi is more of a frustrating mon to face rather than anything else, and I would even rather see a tornadus-therian ban (not saying it needs it tho) than a whimsicott ban. I would far rather use mega venu as a sleeper, as its bulky as shit and checks so much of the good things in the meta atm, has a far more expansive, useful move pool which includes grass whistle and greater offensive presence, as well as not losing half its usefulness after putting a mon to sleep. We need to stop whinging about whimsi, we know its good and the VR team decided we will put it in S (although are considering A+) but none of us agree with a whimsi ban, and for the time being, regardless of your stance on whimsi, you will have to put up with it.

Not only is it not broken, it's trolled by Gorgeist-Super, packing Insomnia. And on that note, if there's ever an ubers version, people will thank mega Mewtwo y for having that ability.

So now that we are (FINALLY!!!) past the Whimsicott discussion, let's talk about other stuff pertaining to the metagame.

How are people liking Durant? I've seen a whole lot of scarf ones but they don't seem particularly threatening. I'm considering getting one and I'd like to go CB. Has anyone had success with CB Durant or is scarf its best set? (I would be surprised)

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Life Orb Durant has been the most threatening variant I've seen so far. It rips apart a lot of very bulky Pokemon, and its Stone Edges are NASTY.
Durant is actually incredibly difficult to counter even on stall. I've been using Skarmory as a counter so far, but the only thing it can really do is switch in and take a hit, allowing Durant to just hit and pivot into something for free while Skarmory is forced to roost. Also Stone Edge basically puts you at the mercy of a 1/8 chance if rocks are up. Doublade is a solid counter to Durant that don't run Crunch (I've never seen one, but I can't exactly rule it out), but I'm not exactly sure how viable that would be in this metagame (especially with its super useful ability). Its insanely high speed makes it all the more difficult, outspeeding Keldeo which would otherwise be a pretty solid check.

Reactions: EV
Doublade is a solid counter to Durant that don't run Crunch (I've never seen one, but I can't exactly rule it out), but I'm not exactly sure how viable that would be in this metagame (especially with its super useful ability).
Given Doublade's general lack of low-accuracy moves to abuse its ability with in the first place, I would argue that the changed ruleset of this metagame actually favors it, as it is no longer peculiar in its inability to take advantage of stuff like Fire Blast misses. What's really keeping it down is probably its low Special bulk in a meta that seems to be carrying a lot of powerful Special attacks that it doesn't resist.

Life Orb Durant is much more threatening than Scarf Durant, but Scarf Durant is incredibly splashable as a revenge killer on basically any and every offensive team.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We got a new viability ranking list available for No Guard Galaxy! Huge shoutouts to Chopin Alkaninoff, ChucklePackage, jacksoras, and SpartanMalice for working on this, you guys are awesome!

S rank

Whimsicott
Tornadus-Therian

A+

Mega Charizard X
Durant
Mew
Gengar
Keldeo
Weavile
Heatran
Mega Metagross
Garchomp
Mega Altaria

A

Mega Ampharos
Mega Venusaur
Mega Charizard Y
Mega Scizor
Starmie
Mega Lopunny
Talonflame
Raikou
Excadrill
Zapdos
Rotom-Wash

A-

Tyranitar
Latios
Mega Manectric
Politoed
Magnezone
Mega Gyarados
Manaphy
Mega Gardevoir
Bisharp
Dragonite
Landorus-Therian
Clefable

B+

Mega Sceptile
Latias
Kingdra
Mamoswine
Chansey
Hoopa-U
Chandelure
Kabutops

B

Crobat
Conkeldurr
Porygon-Z
Hippowdon
Jirachi
Mismagius

B-

Rotom-Heat
Breloom
Victini
Volcarona
Goodra

C+

Ninetales
Venusaur
Rotom-Fridge

C

Regice
Magmortar

C-

Mega Absol

Agree with what you see, or do you think things need to move around on the list? Discuss!

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Mega Medicham needs to at least be ranked in A-, maybe even A. High Jump Kick not missing any more really helps it, and also Zen Headbutt too. One of the best balance breakers in the meta, and has nice Bullet Punch for Whimsicott. Needs to at least be ranked imo.

Dugtrio needs to be ranked. Being an uncounterable revenge-killer... damn. Heatran, T-Tar, or just Chandelure or whatever weakened mon that can still destroy half your team. Dugtrio comes in and makes sure it doesn't escape. It even has Sucker Punch for the few things faster than it.

It does one thing, and one thing only, but it's pretty damn good at it.

Also, Magmortar is better than its C rank gives it credit for. It not only stops sleep, but it is a check to numerous other dangerous threats as well, like Magnezone and T-Tar.

Dugtrio can be somewhere around in the C ranks, and to be honest, medicham hasn't really been buffed in the sense of move accuracy, but rather the complete and utter lack of sableye (mega) in this meta, and as such a- seems suitable.

Last edited:
Magmortar DOES check Magnezone and Tyranitar in that is cannot switch in but OHKOs the both of them.

A refresher: A counter switches in and wins 100% of the time, no matter what the opposing Pokemon has. A check may not be able to switch in, but given a free switch (either on the revenge or a predicted safe move, such as HP Fire on Magnezone or Stealth Rock on Tyranitar) it will win 100% of the time once it is in.

I'm probably just repeating other people's arguments at this point, but I don't see why Whimsicott is ranked S. I haven't played this meta yet but i have seen replays of it, and it just seems, well, underwhelming - especially for a Pokemon that's in freaking S rank!
Let's see what Pokemon require to be placed in the pivotal S rank:
"Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits."
Let's look at a Pokemon that is always consistently high in most viability rankings - Thundurus-I. Thundy is very good because he is quite unpredictable and has fantastic offensive presence - and prankster to boot. Whimsicott on the other hand is a different story. I will admit Whimsicott does do it's job extremely well, but that's about where the good news ends. Whimsicott does not have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits. It has basically no offensive presence, is incredibly predictable and has little utility outside of putting something to sleep, in fact it's actually worse off since (once something is put to sleep) it essentially only has 3 moves instead of 4. It's walled by grass types, magic bounce, sap sippers, checked by lum berry, sound moves, most special attackers, taunt, regen cores, infiltrator, it has no room for reliable recovery so it's easily worn down, and the list goes on. Whimsicott does not have "low risk involved and high reward exerted" due to what i said in the previous part. An S ranked mon should not have all these flaws.
Some say it's a good check to setup sweepers (which it is), but why not just use something like Talonflame or Ditto or even Unawares to check setup, and instead give sleep moves to other offensive mons like Gengar or Mega Altaria? Sure Whimsicott has the fastest priority, but at least other mons like Mega Sceptile or even Crobat can put things to sleep and actually DO anything.

Of course I'm not saying Whimsicott is bad or outclassed, it just doesn't seems as horrible as everyone is making it out to be :P

Magmortar DOES check Magnezone and Tyranitar in that is cannot switch in but OHKOs the both of them.

A refresher: A counter switches in and wins 100% of the time, no matter what the opposing Pokemon has. A check may not be able to switch in, but given a free switch (either on the revenge or a predicted safe move, such as HP Fire on Magnezone or Stealth Rock on Tyranitar) it will win 100% of the time once it is in.
Check actually is a pokemon that can switch in once and KO / force out, a pokemon that can cant switch in but can KO isnt a check

I'm probably just repeating other people's arguments at this point, but I don't see why Whimsicott is ranked S. I haven't played this meta yet but i have seen replays of it, and it just seems, well, underwhelming - especially for a Pokemon that's in freaking S rank!
Let's see what Pokemon require to be placed in the pivotal S rank:
"Reserved for Pokemon that are amazing in the metagame. These Pokemon are usually able to perform a variety of roles effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits."
Let's look at a Pokemon that is always consistently high in most viability rankings - Thundurus-I. Thundy is very good because he is quite unpredictable and has fantastic offensive presence - and prankster to boot. Whimsicott on the other hand is a different story. I will admit Whimsicott does do it's job extremely well, but that's about where the good news ends. Whimsicott does not have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits. It has basically no offensive presence, is incredibly predictable and has little utility outside of putting something to sleep, in fact it's actually worse off since (once something is put to sleep) it essentially only has 3 moves instead of 4. It's walled by grass types, magic bounce, sap sippers, checked by lum berry, sound moves, most special attackers, taunt, regen cores, infiltrator, it has no room for reliable recovery so it's easily worn down, and the list goes on. Whimsicott does not have "low risk involved and high reward exerted" due to what i said in the previous part. An S ranked mon should not have all these flaws.
Some say it's a good check to setup sweepers (which it is), but why not just use something like Talonflame or Ditto or even Unawares to check setup, and instead give sleep moves to other offensive mons like Gengar or Mega Altaria? Sure Whimsicott has the fastest priority, but at least other mons like Mega Sceptile or even Crobat can put things to sleep and actually DO anything.

Of course I'm not saying Whimsicott is bad or outclassed, it just doesn't seems as horrible as everyone is making it out to be :P
Might not be broken but still very metagame defining, sleep is the meta. Whimsicott is also unpredictable, you're not even sure it'll be running Prankster. And come on, Whimsicott isn't walled by anything, you can tweak it moveset to virtually handle anything. Moonblast, Hurricane, Giga drain, Encore, Taunt, U-turn, Leech seed, Substitute combined with Grass whistle with tons of item options; Life orb, Leech seed, Lum ect should ensure that nothing wants to really switch in. Tbh I still want a suspect test, but not a quickban. Even if it's nothing new, it's still really restricting too teambuilding.

Durant should be S

You know why, scarf set tears apart everything. LO breaks walls for days, too lazy to type it all out, we all know it'll move up there regardless.

Might not be broken but still very metagame defining, sleep is the meta. Whimsicott is also unpredictable, you're not even sure it'll be running Prankster. And come on, Whimsicott isn't walled by anything, you can tweak it moveset to virtually handle anything. Moonblast, Hurricane, Giga drain, Encore, Taunt, U-turn, Leech seed, Substitute combined with Grass whistle with tons of item options; Life orb, Leech seed, Lum ect should ensure that nothing wants to really switch in. Tbh I still want a suspect test, but not a quickban. Even if it's nothing new, it's still really restricting too teambuilding.

Durant should be S

You know why, scarf set tears apart everything. LO breaks walls for days, too lazy to type it all out, we all know it'll move up there regardless.
Check actually is a pokemon that can switch in once and KO / force out, a Pokemon that can cant switch in but can KO isnt a check
Actually no, a true check is a Pokemon that, when given a free switch-in (via volturn or double switching etc) and has full HP, will beat that Pokemon 100% of the time without factoring hax. For example Talonflame is an offensive check to Mega Pinsir due to brave burd outspeeding and OHKO'ing 100% of the time, but cannot switch in safely because a return would steamroll over Talonburd. A true counter is a Pokemon that, when at full HP or less, can switch in and win 100% of the time without factoring hax. For example a Chansey is a defensive counter to, well, pretty much every special attacker besides Keldeo and maybe Serperior.

Speaking of which, add Serperior to the Viability Rankings, leaf storm no longer missing is huge for serp.

EDIT: lol don't know why i replied to aja my post had nothing to do with his xD

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Prettier Viability Rankings

S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are at the top of the No Guard Galaxy metagame. These Pokemon are able to perform a variety of roles very effectively, or can just do one extremely well. Their use has low risk involved and high reward exerted. Pokemon in this rank have very few flaws that are patched up by numerous positive traits.

S Rank

Whimsicott
Tornadus-Therian

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are fantastic in the No Guard Galaxy metagame, and can sweep, support, or wall significant portions of the metagame. These Pokemon require less support than most others to be used effectively and have few flaws that can easily be overlooked when compared to their positive traits.

A+ Rank

Mega Charizard X
Durant
Mew
Gengar
Keldeo
Weavile
Heatran
Mega Metagross
Garchomp
Mega Altaria

A Rank

Mega Ampharos
Mega Venusaur
Mega Charizard Y
Mega Scizor
Starmie
Mega Lopunny
Talonflame
Raikou
Excadrill
Zapdos
Rotom-Wash

A- Rank

Tyranitar
Latios
Mega Manectric
Politoed
Magnezone
Mega Gyarados
Manaphy
Mega Gardevoir
Bisharp
Dragonite
Landorus-Therian
Clefable

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the No Guard Galaxy metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

B+ Rank

Mega Sceptile
Latias
Kingdra
Mamoswine
Chansey
Hoopa-Unbound
Chandelure
Kabutops

B Rank

Crobat
Conkeldurr
Porygon-Z
Hippowdon
Jirachi
Mismagius

B- Rank

Rotom-Heat
Breloom
Victini
Volcarona
Goodra

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are mediocre in the No Guard Galaxy metagame, but have just as many notable flaws that prevent them from being effective. Pokemon in the C tier often require significant support to be effective. Pokemon from this rank tend to face a lot of competition with the more commonly used Pokemon. These Pokemon exert a below average presence in the current metagame.

C+ Rank

Ninetales
Venusaur
Rotom-Fridge

C Rank

Regice
Magmortar

C- Rank

Mega Absol

''CONCLUSION REACHED'' POKEMON: Pokemon in this list have reached a conclusive ideal ranking, so unless the metagame changes towards them or there is something about them that hasn't been said, discussion about them is disallowed.
  • None
BLACKLISTED POKEMON: Pokemon that are not only unviable in No Guard Galaxy, but also make the thread shitty whenever they are brought up because most people that argue about them getting ranked are inexperienced players using bad arguments.
  • None
Rules:
  • Post Intelligently. Your argument should consist of the pokemon's effectiveness relative to the tier's threats, and how it fits into a certain ranking.
  • NO flaming over rankings.
  • Usage/how common something is should not be used in your argument. Viability rankings isn't what mons are the most used, its what's the most effective.

Valmanway feel free to edit your post with this version, as it obviously looks much better and is more official. It's also easier to keep up with when things aren't cluttered together.

Now for some noms:

Durant to S-rank

Durant is the definition of metagame defining. Scarf Durant is splashable on almost any offensive team, and is the best revenge killer in the tier, and durant runs several other sets, each of which are nearly uncounterable. It has just the coverage it needs, usually running crunch/superpower or stone edge for coverage, and can beat a vast majority of the metagame. Its extreme power, good defensive typing, and splashability on almost any team makes it a shoe-in for S-rank.

Goodra to B+ Rank

Goodra counters one of the tier's most broken and overused strategies - grass type sleep moves - and manages to counter about 90% of the special attacking metagame. On balanced/bulky offense, this is a go-to mon that beats a large portion of the special-attacking metagame while maintaining a threatening offensive presence to deter setup and free switches to physical attackers. This tank is criminally underrated rn and should be moved up accordingly.

Magmortar to B Rank

I know for a fact that not many people have used this and they are missing out. Vital Spirit makes it the ultimate sleep counter, and it counters / hard checks all of the grass types in this tier, including Mega Venusaur (it typically runs psychic). Specs means it OHKOs almost all of them, and nothing wants to switch into its fire blasts. This is also very underrated for offense, providing a hard-hitter that stops one of offense's biggest problems.

I'm in complete agreement with I like donkeys that Whimsicott should drop down to A or A-. There are sooo many things that it can literally do nothing to, and has to U-Turn out (grass types, immune to sleep, sap sipper) and even at that, are we really saying "Because it can put something to sleep and uTurn out it is S Rank?" That seems like a weird and terrible reason, especially considering that by then the min has already woken or will wake up the next turn anyway. Please don't give it S just because a few people really wanted to ban it.

Durant, in my opinion, should stay A or A+. My team never has problems with it, so I know it s both counter-able and revenge killable. My core of Slowbro+Zapdos can counter Durant like no other, it's Scarf set has to choose either X-Scissor for Slowbro or StoneEdge for Zapdos, and whichever it picks the other can take with ease. Even so, it can't OHKO them with the right move anyway.

252 Atk Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 236-282 (59.8 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Zapdos: 306-362 (79.8 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Which means that if you mess up predicting, just switch to the other and force it out or destroy it with FireBlast or HeatWave. They both have reliable recovery and are great at sticking around for a long time.

That said, I nominate Slowbro for A- Rank, as he can take hits from and KO many high ranked mons (MegaGross, MegaLopunny, Durant, Talonflame, Garchomp, Keldeo, Excadrill, Dragonite, etc.). His movepool is vast enough that he has options to KO these things, abusing 100% acc Blizzard and FireBlast, and with the usual Scald and Psyshock. Regenerator + Slack off ensures that Slowbro will be around for the long haul and he can pair up with special walls to make a great core.

I'd nominate Tyrantrum to B-. I've been using it to moderate success on the ladder. An unboosted Head Smash hits harder than Life Orb Durant's STABs:

252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 147-174 (40.3 - 47.8%)

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 142-168 (39 - 46.1%)

With a Dragon Dance or Choice Scarf, it outspeeds and OHKOs a huge number of things. It is certainly held back by its lack of special Bulk and weakness to priority, but with proper team support in the form of Light Screen, Webs, or Tail Wind, the payout is phenomenal.

I'm also surprised that Breloom is ranked B-. On the few teams I've seen using it, I've never seen it do much of anything. What do people use it for?

I'm in complete agreement with I like donkeys that Whimsicott should drop down to A or A-. There are sooo many things that it can literally do nothing to, and has to U-Turn out (grass types, immune to sleep, sap sipper) and even at that, are we really saying "Because it can put something to sleep and uTurn out it is S Rank?" That seems like a weird and terrible reason, especially considering that by then the min has already woken or will wake up the next turn anyway. Please don't give it S just because a few people really wanted to ban it.

Durant, in my opinion, should stay A or A+. My team never has problems with it, so I know it s both counter-able and revenge killable. My core of Slowbro+Zapdos can counter Durant like no other, it's Scarf set has to choose either X-Scissor for Slowbro or StoneEdge for Zapdos, and whichever it picks the other can take with ease. Even so, it can't OHKO them with the right move anyway.

252 Atk Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 236-282 (59.8 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Zapdos: 306-362 (79.8 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Which means that if you mess up predicting, just switch to the other and force it out or destroy it with FireBlast or HeatWave. They both have reliable recovery and are great at sticking around for a long time.

That said, I nominate Slowbro for A- Rank, as he can take hits from and KO many high ranked mons (MegaGross, MegaLopunny, Durant, Talonflame, Garchomp, Keldeo, Excadrill, Dragonite, etc.). His movepool is vast enough that he has options to KO these things, abusing 100% acc Blizzard and FireBlast, and with the usual Scald and Psyshock. Regenerator + Slack off ensures that Slowbro will be around for the long haul and he can pair up with special walls to make a great core.
Although I do agree with most of what you said, I'd like to stop you at Durant. That core does seem good on paper, but it straight up loses to LO and rock polish sets. For example check out these calcs.

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Zapdos: 398-471 (103.9 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Zapdos gets trashed by stone edge, oh no better switch in my Slowbro to take the hit...

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 129-152 (32.7 - 38.5%) -- 3.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 307-367 (77.9 - 93.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Even after leftovers recovery, X-Scissor a guaranteed OHKO after stone edge.

And don't even get me started on the rock polish sets...

252+ Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 338-400 (85.7 - 101.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Jesus Christ settle down Durant :o

I think Durant is fine in S rank. It can perform a variety of roles extremely well (LO, scarf, RP) and thus is a dominating force in NGG.

Please don't give it S just because a few people really wanted to ban it.
Please don't simplify it's viability down to "It puts something to sleep and then u-turns", that's bullshit and you should know better. It provides amazing support and is very easy to just splash on your team just to really fucking bug your opponent

Anyways, yeah, Durant is a solid S pokemon. That thing hits like a fucking truck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)