Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My main gripe with Skarmory is just how passive it is. It's not so much the really low damage ouptut that's a problem (although not being able to 2HKO Kyu-B with an SE STAB, or 2HKO MZam is pretty annoying), but a general lack of a safe, spammable moves which makes it pretty easy to take advantage of and prevents it from outlasting its checks. Like, if you compare it to stuff like Ferrothorn or Heatran it's nowhere near as annoying for certain teams to deal with since it doesn't have that one spammable move that can just easily cripple its checks, I find it a more like Hippowdon in the sense that it's a sitting duck in a lot of situations, and there just isn't anything this easy to take advantage of in A+, no matter how good the utility it provides is.

Sylveon is pretty terrible tbh, in a metagame where fairies are so prepared for Specs is just not good, Cleric's even worse, really the only set worth running is CM+BP and even then it suffers competition. Should drop.

Dragalge I'm hesistant to move down since I find TSpikes to be really good and Dragalge to be a great user of them, and it also has a really good typing which lets it check a bunch of dangerous stuff and is actually quite strong, however it is really team-specific and doesn't fit that well outside of a specific team build so I guess it could drop.

Amoonguss can probably move to B for being pretty good on stall and, unlike other B rank stallmons Chansey and Quagsire, actually fitting on other playstyles like sand. Also it's one of the better answers to Serperior so there's that too.

Scizor I'm kinda neutral on but slightly leaning towards it moving up. It is definitely way more splashable than anything in B rank, but it's really not that great at what it does. Kinda the opposite of most B+ ranks honestly, which are typically really good at their jobs but only fit on certain teams or fall completely flat against certain matchups.
Band is defenitely its best set and can wear down usual Scizor checks pretty well while providing really valuable resistsances for more offensive teams, but it's really easy to wear down in return and cannot consistently check Fairies, meaining it only really works as a Fairy check on offensive teams that can prevent said Fairies from switching in repeatidely. There are still other sets like Lefties and LO SD though, they aren't as good but can work on certain teams which prefer to run another Mega than Scizor and they aren't too bad at what they do. I'm not sold on this thing, but I do think it's better than pretty much everything in B rank currently, and I can see it in the same rank as stuff like Diggersby (do people still use this thing?) and Mamoswine.

I can't really see Manetcric move up on the basis that it isn't really consistent against multiple playstyles, it can put in a huge amout of work vs a lot of offensive teams, but it can also really struggle vs bulkier builds and it's not necessarily a safe Pokemon to use, or one that can really outclast its checks that easily. Sure, you can run Toxic to cripple bulky Grounds that wall you, in fact it's a pretty good option on it, but the loss of a powerful STAB really hurts a lot of the time. The rise in usage of CM Raikou doesn't really help its case either. I find it more comparable to MGardevoir than, say, MLopunny or MZam when it comes to how much threat it poses to different types of teams, and although it has added defensive utility when compared to these Pokemon, it's more easily forced out and thus needs to find a lot more opportunities to come in, which really compromises its ability to check things.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I was kinda throwing around ideas for potential moves with the rest of the team, mostly based on theorymon. One I can back up with actual experience now that I've used it is Mega Aggron for C rank (possibly C+?)

Now obviously this isn't an amazing Pokemon or anything, but I feel like C- is being very unfair to it, I really don't think it should be ranked below Mega Latios or Mega Absol for instance (which should probably drop anyway tbh). I won't deny that it faces serious competition from the vastly superior Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross, but it has a handful of advatages over both of them, unlike Metagross it has a Drak neutrality, and can thus counter Weavile and Bisharp, and unlike Scizor, it can eat up Fire coverage from Latis / Clefable / Altaria , enabling it to switch into them more easily. It also has much, much higher phys def which enables it to more easily take on dangerous stuff like Azumarill, Talonflame if running Rock Slide, heck it can even 1v1 Adamant LO Sand Rush Excadrill withut any defense EVs, that's how ridiculously bulky it is. Obviously, it's pretty much never going to be at full so that probably isn't happening, and the lack of recovery outside of Rest is a pretty big problem (if it got Slack Off it would be up in the A ranks probably lol), but the fact that it can 1v1 a pretty impressive portion of a tier makes it surpsingly good, not on balance or stall but rather on offense.

Yup, this thing actually serves as an neat tank on offensive teams. It can check really dangerous things for offense such as Altaria, Weavile, Bisharp, Azumarill, kinda Torn-T too. All the while, it provides SR support (which can be really hard to fit on offense), and since it can force out a lot of the tier it's actually quite good at getting them up. It can also run TWave Support, though it has a hard time fitting it since you probably want Heavy Slam / EQ / Rock Slide. Also hits pretty damn hard with max offensive investement.
It kinda reminds me of AV Conkeldurr in the sense that it's a slow anti-offense tank, except it trades a mega slot, priority, a main STAB which gives it its health back and Guts with significantly higher bulk combined with Filter, making it a lot harder to check if healthy and enabling it to 1v1 a wider range of threats, a much better defensive typing which lets it switch into a higher number of dangerous Pokemon, and an actual support movepool.
It still has a lot of pretty crippling flaws like its terrible speed combined with lack of priority making it a tad passive even for something that hits this hard, and that combined with its lack of recovery makes it unable to check more than one thing per team : it kinda has to pick and choose what it wants to kill since it'll only really be able to get rid of one thing per battle. It's also pretty useless against balanced or stall teams since it just doesn't hit hard enough to break walls, so it's exclusively an anti-offense tool. But still, it can pretty much go ahead and kill what it wants to when facing offense.

It's not a great set by any means, but it's good enough to make it C rank imo, and when you also take into account more defensive sets which can run Toxic to cripple bulky Pokemon and Rest to consistently wall things, bascially being able to bypass the offensive set's 2 main flaws, overall it definitely seems like solid C rank material to me.

Couple of replays showcasing what it can do : http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-290971874 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-290973663 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-290988550, I had a bunch more successes with it than that but forgot to save them, btw the reason Heavy Slam did so little to that Kyu-B on the 2nd replay is that it only has 40 BP vs it, so Iron Head is better vs that and a couple of things like TTar and Hippowdon as well, Heavy Slam does much more damage to stuff like Azumarill though so it's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:
Let's talk about Sylveon and its place in OU. The Choice Specs set is outclassed by Mega Gardevoir who has the ability to forego Hidden Power which is Sylveon's coverage move of choice for Focus Blast to nail steel types that want to mess with it (namely Heatran). Mega Gardevoir also sits at a higher speed tier at a decent 100 whereas Sylveon sits at base 60 speed leaving it outsped by (Mega) Scizor (who has Bullet Punch anyways), Bisharp, Hoopa-U who can Gunk Shot it for an OHKO, Excadrill, Heatran, and so on. Sylveon tends to carry Baton Pass in its 4th slot. While it's nice for momentum & predicting switches, Sylveon's too slow to execute it outright.

Sylveon also has the ability to run a Cleric set. Base 95 HP makes it serve as a solid Wish passer, but in that role, it is outclassed by Clefable who can possess Magic Guard and not get completely hampered by Toxic or run Unaware and serve as a decent check to set up sweepers. Clefable also has access to Soft-Boiled which gives it recovery without the need to use Protect. One could also make the case that Sylveon in a cleric role is outclassed by our favorite fat pink blob Chansey who has a monumental HP stat, access to Natural Cure to shrug off status, and the ability to wield Eviolite to boost its defenses to VERY annoying levels giving stall teams a sturdy specially defensive glue.

Sylveon's best set in this meta is the CM Baton Pass set. Once again, Sylveon is outclassed by Clefable who, as previously mentioned, packs Magic Guard & Unaware to either block status or ignore boosts. Soft-Boiled also comes into play here for Clefable's Magic Guard Calm Mind set as it can use a 4th move such as Thunder Wave, Knock Off, or Flamethrower/Fire Blast without it needing Wish+Protect. Sylveon can't find a spot to run Wish + Protect on its CM + BP set. It goes Hyper Voice, Calm Mind, Baton Pass, and no room to fill in both moves so Sylveon's gonna have a VERY hard time regaining HP outside of Leftovers.

For the reasons stated above, Sylveon should drop to C+ rank.

I very much agree with Sylveon drop to C+. It's completely outclassed defenisvely by Clefable, so it's only real niche is being an offensive non-mega fairy. Specs set hits hard, but is easily played around and I think its past effectiveness can be attributed more to surprise factor with people thinking you're cleric than actually being that great. CM set is okay kind of, but overall disappointing. Sylveon is a "good on paper, bad in practice" Pokémon. Lacks enough bulk to make up for not having Magic Guard like Clefable and lacks enough versatility, power, and speed to warrant not taking your mega slot with Gardevoir.

I was going to say the Dragalge should move down because it's so team specific, but then again Kabutops and Kingdra are also B+, and they're about as team specific as it gets. So the question in my mind becomes, "Is Dragalge's TSpikes set performing as well as Kingdra/Kabutops in rain?" In my opinion, it isn't quite that valuable, so I'm going to have to support a Dragalge drop to B.

Last edited:
Started playing this game again for better or worse :]

Anybody else feel like Slowbro-Mega is really overrated? I don't really understand when you are supposed to use it, it's a horrendous combination of opportunity cost and impossible to recover crap. I find I use regular Slowbro on teams that are pretty fast paced with Slowbro as sort of a defensive pivot, which works really well with regenerator. For example, it works pretty excellently on sand teams with junk like Excadrill, Charizard-X, and Altaria because it can come in on something strong as fuck and sort of sponge it and then switch out and do it a bunch of times. Slowbro-Mega fails because you can't use leftovers or rockey helmet (which is fucking awesome on Slowbro to mess with U-Turn Landorus etc.) Also, regenerator is basically what keeps Slowbro alive in this fast paced metagame. With possible status, hazards, sand, etc. in this metagame a Slowbro-Mega basically has to heal every other turn - which makes its excellent SpA go to waste. I just haven't felt threatened by this in a long time and have also found it much easier to break than normal Slowbro. It also means you can't use an offensive mega, hich are the cornerstone of everything except stall these days. Lastly, it simply has no place on stall b/c Sableye/Altaria/CharX/Venusaur are all much more impactful. Maybe I'm not using it right, but I think it's still quite overrated. It's not a pivot, and it takes the mega slot away.

I'd put it in like B or so, but I guess a drop to A- is a start.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This may be late but why Latias drop to A rank, that's sound so bad, first is one of the best defoggers paired with her twin Latios, had overall bulk able to check better certains mons than Latios like manaphy, torn-t, keldeo, electric types, etc, and still have the power to ensure some HKO's. It fit so well on every playstyle and can run multiple sets like bulky defogger, cm refresh and defensive bolt beam coverage, also have the one move called Healing Wish that can bring back some threat of the team for late game wich latios can't do it and had major rank.

This may be late but why Latias drop to A rank, that's sound so bad, first is one of the best defoggers paired with her twin Latios, had overall bulk able to check better certains mons than Latios like manaphy, torn-t, keldeo, electric types, etc, and still have the power to ensure some HKO's. It fit so well on every playstyle and can run multiple sets like bulky defogger, cm refresh and defensive bolt beam coverage, also have the one move called Healing Wish that can bring back some threat of the team for late game wich latios can't do it and had major rank.
I also disagree with the drop, but, Latios raw power is preferred over Latias bulk and the current meta only makes this better for Latios, also, Latias is heavily reliant on the LO to hurt something, and it cuts Latias longevity, wich is her niche over Latios.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Started playing this game again for better or worse :]

Anybody else feel like Slowbro-Mega is really overrated? I don't really understand when you are supposed to use it, it's a horrendous combination of opportunity cost and impossible to recover crap. I find I use regular Slowbro on teams that are pretty fast paced with Slowbro as sort of a defensive pivot, which works really well with regenerator. For example, it works pretty excellently on sand teams with junk like Excadrill, Charizard-X, and Altaria because it can come in on something strong as fuck and sort of sponge it and then switch out and do it a bunch of times. Slowbro-Mega fails because you can't use leftovers or rockey helmet (which is fucking awesome on Slowbro to mess with U-Turn Landorus etc.) Also, regenerator is basically what keeps Slowbro alive in this fast paced metagame. With possible status, hazards, sand, etc. in this metagame a Slowbro-Mega basically has to heal every other turn - which makes its excellent SpA go to waste. I just haven't felt threatened by this in a long time and have also found it much easier to break than normal Slowbro. It also means you can't use an offensive mega, hich are the cornerstone of everything except stall these days. Lastly, it simply has no place on stall b/c Sableye/Altaria/CharX/Venusaur are all much more impactful. Maybe I'm not using it right, but I think it's still quite overrated. It's not a pivot, and it takes the mega slot away.

I'd put it in like B or so, but I guess a drop to A- is a start.
You're seriously underrating this beast haha
First off, you mention that using megabro means you can't use an offensive mega, which isn't true. Offensive mega slowbro is a pretty awesome set itself, you oughta give it a try :] It's especially fun to watch rotom-w take 60% from psychic as they come in, thinking they're a switch in

But the main strength of mega slowbro is its defense. We all know that mega slowbro is used mainly because of its cm set. Lets take a step back and ask ourselves: how do you even beat calm mind users?
Well there are a few ways:
1. Unaware CM clef: pretty much the best and most reliable way; you ignore their boosts and they can't ignore yours.
2. CM psyshock mons: you boost your sdef but they can't boost their def, meaning you win against cm suicune/clefable pretty much
3. Stored Power CM: Mega lati's the only one that does this, but it literally beats clefable 1v1 so its pretty disgusting.
4. Haze/Clear smog: pretty much limited to tentacruel/amoonguss, but amoonguss is a very very solid answer to clefable and suicune.
5. Taunt: the user of taunt has to be bulky enough to take some boosted hits, but it's a valid option to atleast stop cm users.
6. Physical Pressure: Last but not least, the most common and probably the most effective way to save yourself from cm users are just smacking them with powerful physical attacks.
7. Phazing: roar/whirlwind, but that requires taking a boosted hit. However, suicune can cm AND roar, making it pretty unique and pretty gud.
8. Critical Hits: ecks dee

Every CM mon suffers from atleast 4 of these problems, and pretty much every one of them suffers from #6 (and the last one :P). Pretty much everything except mega slowbro.
SO some people invest sdef into megabro; i think that's dumb. The reason to use mega slowbro is because physical pressure is not an option against it. (Unless you have pin missile mega hera)
You may think that regular slowbro CM is better because it does the "same thing" and doesn't take up a mega slot; it's not true at all.
Bisharp will easily provide enough damage to the point where any other physical attacker can pick off slowbro, but Adamant LO bish knock off does 35%-42% to mega bro. The same applies to weavile, char-x, lando-t, any other relevant physical attacker. They will not be able to break through you before you beat them down with boosted scalds, which is completely untrue in regular slowbro's case.

Besides, you don't even have to mega evolve immediately. You CAN stay regular slowbro and take advantage of regenerator to your heart's desire until you're ready to set up, and after you mega, option #6 against cm users (which is the only one most offense carry) is no longer an option. If anything, its far far better in this fast-paced meta because fast-paced teams rely on option #6 to break cm users. Once that's no longer available to them, they just lose. And by just lose i'm not kidding, i've lead mega bro and started cm'ing turn one and just won games 6-0.

Last edited:

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I also disagree with the drop, but, Latios raw power is preferred over Latias bulk and the current meta only makes this better for Latios, also, Latias is heavily reliant on the LO to hurt something, and it cuts Latias longevity, wich is her niche over Latios.
yeah but still A rank was acceptable, i think A- is way too low for a good mon overall , able to fit in every playstyle, great utility and solid answer for A threats even some of S threats !

yeah but still A rank was acceptable, i think A- is way too low for a good mon overall , able to fit in every playstyle, great utility and solid answer for A threats even some of S threats !
The thing about Latias is that while it is good, you ultimately are forced to weigh it against Latios, who right now performs similarly while providing more offensive pressure, which is more valuable right now. It's like Latios vs. Mega Latios on a smaller scale - a good mon vs. a good mon that does almost the exact same thing at a higher cost. Yes, it may be a good Pokémon in a vacuum, but in my opinion the ability to use Healing Wish and a bit more bulk does not keep Latias on par with Latios right now.

If Latias does not measure up to the other A threats, then it should drop to A-. That is the case in the current metagame, and the rankings simply reflect Latias's current presence in the metagame.

Backing up the Mega Aggron to C nomination, as it's really interesting how this thing can take out so many dangerous physical threats. As said, though, it's rather limited in its use (and not splashable because of that) and other Mega Evolutions usually do the job (a lot) better, so C is a good rank to start out with for the time being.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
The thing about Latias is that while it is good, you ultimately are forced to weigh it against Latios, who right now performs similarly while providing more offensive pressure, which is more valuable right now. It's like Latios vs. Mega Latios on a smaller scale - a good mon vs. a good mon that does almost the exact same thing at a higher cost. Yes, it may be a good Pokémon in a vacuum, but in my opinion the ability to use Healing Wish and a bit more bulk does not keep Latias on par with Latios right now.
yeah i never compare Latias with Latios because Latios have more power clearly, but i mean it's not a big difference in term of ranking being Latios A+ and Latias now A-, i just think is a good mon to keep in the A rank !

I have had experience with both latios and Latias, and I have to say I almost never found an opportunity to use healing wish, nor where the extra bulk really mattered. With latios it was simple, Draco meteor and switch out. To me, latioses extra power is more valuable than the bulk. Somewhere between A and A- is where I'd put latias, leaning more towards A-. Also Amoonguss should go up. Regenerator, being great on stall, and its bulk and spore all warrant B. I find it comparable to tangrowth, maybe even better than due to its overall bulk, who is in b rank.

Last edited:
The move to drop Latias has just been made; would it not be a smarter idea to end the discussion, use a couple weeks of testing to see if DennisEG's "bulky defogger, cm refresh and defensive bolt beam coverage" hold enough merit to keep it at A Rank, and then address it from there? The VR team just came to a decision on it, and there was already extensive discussion on it. Just let the discussion on Latias die down for now.

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
I have had experience with both latios and Latias, and I have to say I almost never found an opportunity to use healing wish, nor where the extra bulk really mattered. With latios it was simple, Draco meteor and switch out. To me, latioses extra power is more valuable than the bulk. Somewhere between A and A- is where I'd put latias, leaning more towards A-. Also Amoonguss should go up. Regenerator, being great on stall, and its bulk and spore all warrant B. I find it comparable to tangrowth, maybe even better than due to its overall bulk, who is in b rank.
Unlike Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, Tangrowth is hurt by special attacks for the most part, and is crippled to an extent by a burn. I do not see Defensive Latias used often, so I'd assume that Life Orb Latias is standard. But Latios's bulk is good enough for the most part, so LO Latias is outclassed by Latios generally.
Tbh Dragalge has always been over-rated anyway. It's basically the only viable TSpikes user but just that single trait shouldn't make it the savior of hazard stack. Imo its kinda outclassed by Spikes users since the effect is more immediate in making the opposition softer. Think Klefki or Skarmory. They're much more splashable, Klefki being really valuable to Offense unlike Dragalge who pretty much forces you to run slower builds and really team specific. So yeah. Drop it.
Dragalge is overrated, but Dragalge hits HAARRD. HARD. HARD. A base Special Attack of 97 may seem pretty measly, but it gets Adaptability, coupled with decent offensive typing, and a workable special coverage movepool that are rare for Dragon and Poison types like Focus Blast, Scald, and Hydro Pump. Dragalge can actually function as a halfway decent wallbreaker with Specs Adaptability Draco Meteor, decently damaging even the likes of Mega Venusaur, Tyranitar, and others. Dragalge's movepool also allows it to snipe things in OU that think that it can take it on, like Excadrill and Tyranitar, who will both die to the respective coverage move. Dragalge is overrated, and should be dropped, but it is nothing short of a decent threat and (halfway) wallbreaker.

I agree that Zapdos is a pretty shitty defogger, however we shouldn't forget that Defog isn't it's only set. SubToxic is probably its best set, since it can really do a number on slower teams, and can cripple a bunch of checks to it, notably Electric and Ground types (http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-290743754 replay here of it putting in work, it's not the best showcase of its abilities but it's literally the first battle I got and the opposing team was just unable to deal with it and i'm too busy/lazy to battle even more).

However, that particular set has probably gotten worse recently for various reasons. M, much like Togekiss and Mew which were discussed earlier in this thread, it really doesn't appreciate the rise of faster balance teams and the demise of slow passive ones, and suffers competetion from Kyurem which, while definitely inferior defensively, has way better coverage, and most importantly, has 101 HP Subs, enabling it to much more reliably beat Chansey (though Zapdos does beat TWave variants and can break past Toxic variants if it predicts correctly). In fact, while it is pretty good at screwing over slower teams, there still are a ton of things in this tier which can pretty much do that but with added benefits, not just Kyurem and the previously mentioned Togekiss and Mew but also Manaphy, Jirachi, Hoopa-U, Gliscor, all of which are either a better defensively or a better at that particular job, which usually gives them an edge over Zapdos. When you compare it to these other options, Zapdos really doesn't provide too much outside of countering Torn-T and some Scizor sets, so the competition is definitely very fierce. For instance, that team I just used on the replay doesn't really fear Torn-T or Scizor too much, and would probably work even better with something like Jirachi or Manaphy or Hoopa-U>Zapdos, and would have been just as annoying, if not more annoying for the opposing team to deal with than the Zapdos variant. Also, getting completely shut down by Excadrill, one of the biggest thretas in the tier, can't possibly be a good thing.

I can see Zapdos dropping for these reasons but even so, it should be judged for its SubToxic set primarily since that's the set that's keeping it B rank in the first place.
Man i totally agree its a real shame how zapdos is criminally underrated. It has great typing, great ability and decent movepool coupled with very nice all-round stats. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-291146438 - built a team this evening and thats the first game i played, pp stalled out a lando-t stone-edge and stuck toxic on 3 mons and turned a fairly even-game into an easy win for me. It's not a terrible defogger either just better mons out there but honestly its one of the few options stall teams have for countering flying types. Its spd set is also really cool and can wall gengar along-side other threatening mons, great utility mon and always pulls work.

1. Unaware CM clef: pretty much the best and most reliable way; you ignore their boosts and they can't ignore yours.
2. CM psyshock mons: you boost your sdef but they can't boost their def, meaning you win against cm suicune/clefable pretty much
3. Stored Power CM: Mega lati's the only one that does this, but it literally beats clefable 1v1 so its pretty disgusting.
4. Haze/Clear smog: pretty much limited to tentacruel/amoonguss, but amoonguss is a very very solid answer to clefable and suicune.
5. Taunt: the user of taunt has to be bulky enough to take some boosted hits, but it's a valid option to atleast stop cm users.
6. Physical Pressure: Last but not least, the most common and probably the most effective way to save yourself from cm users are just smacking them with powerful physical attacks.
7. Critical Hits: ecks dee
Option #8: Status, which is a big problem for Mega Slowbro unless it's CroBro which I've found to be mediocre generally as it's unreliable and you might as well run Suicune at that point. If your CM user is hit with a Toxic or in many cases a Burn also, they can't sustain a sweep if they cant handle the status.

metagame hella unfavorable for mega bro imo. i find that 'crobro' is hella lame.. at least cune doesn't take up a mega slot and has a less vulnerable typing. rest+slack is interesting but tbh rest is only circumventing one issue w. crobro in status being p commonplace. one of the most common sr'rs on balance, heatran, almost always runs tox which is p gay considering slowbro can't check a fire.. regardless, a common trend as of late from what i've noticed is that teams are opting for more offensively inclined manaphy checks (serperior, thundurus, manectric) instead of ferrothorn due to being dicked by scald from tg+rest which gives slowbro one less set up opportunity as well along w. more hurdles. vs the standard offensive/balanced matchup, barring a rare few, i always feel as though i'd rather have a reg slowbro and a diff mega; opportunity cost is a real bitch in this case since slowbro is top tier anyway. def rate mega bro a- and bro a to show this disparity

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The thing about status being a problem to bro is that 90% of all mega slowbro teams run a cleric, so status isn't exactly the biggest problem as you can wait to start setting up until most mons that commonly run toxic are gone, and start cming up, and if you catch a random toxic, then you can switch out and kill said mon, heal bell up bro, and proceed to sweep with bro without further problems.

The thing about status being a problem to bro is that 90% of all mega slowbro teams run a cleric, so status isn't exactly the biggest problem as you can wait to start setting up until most mons that commonly run toxic are gone, and start cming up, and if you catch a random toxic, then you can switch out and kill said mon, heal bell up bro, and proceed to sweep with bro without further problems.
That's not necessarily a super easy thing to do. Of course all mons need team support, but I think with MegaBro as a wincon you're setting yourself back a bit in having to keep it status free with a devoted cleric. Heal Bell is tough to fit on a team right now. I also feel that by the time you manage to weaken stuff down and get rid of essentially every mon that might have status moves you've already broken down so much of the team is it even that great to set up and sweep with MegaBro? Like I feel another mon would've been more helpful/efficient. I'd liken MegaBro to Mega Latias honestly and give it A- since it has a bit more going for it than she does but honestly is a really high opportunity cost over another more self-sufficient mega.

Like I said before, Mega Slowbro is not purely a wincon.

Mega Slowbro can be an amazing wall to the team that cripples through Thunder Wave, eats up Knock Offs, has a lot of defense with minimal defensive investment and decent spd with a lot of investment, and has calm mind to take hits easier on the special side, cripple w/ t-wave, and potentially sweep.

here's a short Pros & Cons of Slowbro vs. Mega Slowbro, using scald / slack off / thunder wave or psyshock / calm mind

Slowbro:

Pros: Regenerator (1), Leftovers (2), decent win con (3)
Cons: extremely weak to knock off (1), low SpD (2)

Mega Slowbro:

Pros: Eats up knock offs (1), more defense and much more SpD (2), good win con (3), much better at crippling with t-wave if packing it (4)
Cons: gets worn down easier (1), takes up mega slot (2)

using that set I feel like mega slowbro and slowbro pertain the same viability, sure mega slowbro doesn't have regen or lefties, but it's a better win con, eats up knocks offs much better (for example it can easily counter weavile (if mega'd) while slowbro cannot), has more defense and a LOT more SpD, and can cripple and abuse thunder wave to a better extent, but then again Slowbro does not take a mega slot and has more longevity throughout the game. On the same note, Slowbro is not necessarily mega slowbro, but mega slowbro is necessarily slowbro, meaning you don't have to mega evolve right off that bat, giving you the regen ability to sustain throughout the game, albeit not have much defense.

overall, mega slowbro loses some niches that regular slowbro has (even though it can use some temporarily) but at the same time it gains a lot, overall balancing it out. I think mega slowbro and slowbro should be in the same rank, regardless if it was A- or A, but I prefer A.

so it's just a slowbro that gives up security in regen for being a shitty weavile check.. ? it loses to sd weavile (+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 244-291 (61.9 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) with pretty minimal chip dmg given that u lose lefties and regen... i mean keldeo loses to the obscure sd + return but it generally covers weavile p well on balance given it has momentum.. mega sciz just dicks it p hard... clefable falls to sd poison jab.... but all the other common checks are just "better". opportunity cost... i mean ur 'more secure' vs some stuff w. the added stats but just use regular slowbro with a good mega and slightly altered squad; it'll be better i am certain.

using heal bell on a mega bro squad... best of luck.

so it's just a slowbro that gives up security in regen for being a shitty weavile check.. ? it loses to sd weavile (+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 244-291 (61.9 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) with pretty minimal chip dmg given that u lose lefties and regen... i mean keldeo loses to the obscure sd + return but it generally covers weavile p well on balance given it has momentum.. mega sciz just dicks it p hard... clefable falls to sd poison jab.... but all the other common checks are just "better". opportunity cost... i mean ur 'more secure' vs some stuff w. the added stats but just use regular slowbro with a good mega and slightly altered squad; it'll be better i am certain.

using heal bell on a mega bro squad... best of luck.
I never said to use mega slowbro over slowbro specifically to check weavile

I was just saying that as an example of Mega Slowbro obviously taking knock offs much better than regular slowbor, which can actually come in handy for stuff like bisharp (para / scad damage & fish for burn) or checking every single weavile except LO SD (btw, u come in on sd, mega, eat it up, t-wave, then even get icy scald damage and something like heatran can take it out after that, so technically it can at least cripple it hard) which is actually really uncommon. Sure you can use mega scizor or klefki, but other than these two it's gonna get really hard to reliably check it.

as an avid user of both slowbro and mega slowbro (literally slowbro, whether mega or not, is at least in 60% of my squads) I can testify that they are almost equally viable. A lot of people don't realize that they don't have the exact same roles, they have similar roles that are carried out and achieved differently.

Also, while heal bell users in OU are scarce, Clefable is an extremely good teammate to mega slowbro especially the unaware set because it provides, heal bell support, wish support, and the ability to check many set up sweepers that can overwhelm mega slowbro (for example SpD Unaware clef can take on serp and mana, both which give mega slowbro, which can also cripple them with t-wave if it has it, a hard time)

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I never said to use mega slowbro over slowbro specifically to check weavile

I was just saying that as an example of Mega Slowbro obviously taking knock offs much better than regular slowbor, which can actually come in handy for stuff like bisharp (para / scad damage & fish for burn) or checking every single weavile except LO SD (btw, u come in on sd, mega, eat it up, t-wave, then even get icy scald damage and something like heatran can take it out after that, so technically it can at least cripple it hard) which is actually really uncommon. Sure you can use mega scizor or klefki, but other than these two it's gonna get really hard to reliably check it.

as an avid user of both slowbro and mega slowbro (literally slowbro, whether mega or not, is at least in 60% of my squads) I can testify that they are almost equally viable. A lot of people don't realize that they don't have the exact same roles, they have similar roles that are carried out and achieved differently.

Also, while heal bell users in OU are scarce, Clefable is an extremely good teammate to mega slowbro especially the unaware set because it provides, heal bell support, wish support, and the ability to check many set up sweepers that can overwhelm mega slowbro (for example SpD Unaware clef can take on serp and mana, both which give mega slowbro, which can also cripple them with t-wave if it has it, a hard time)
The point was that you come in wuth some chip damage from spikes, rocks, maybe a stray u-turn a while ago. No lefties, grounded, no regen makes it very easy to chip. Then you come in on the SD, and you probably aren't taking it too well.

Not to mention that 252/252+ is kinda meh as opposed to a more mixed spread :/

Like I said before, Mega Slowbro is not purely a wincon.

Mega Slowbro can be an amazing wall to the team that cripples through Thunder Wave, eats up Knock Offs, has a lot of defense with minimal defensive investment and decent spd with a lot of investment, and has calm mind to take hits easier on the special side, cripple w/ t-wave, and potentially sweep.

here's a short Pros & Cons of Slowbro vs. Mega Slowbro, using scald / slack off / thunder wave or psyshock / calm mind

Slowbro:

Pros: Regenerator (1), Leftovers (2), decent win con (3)
Cons: extremely weak to knock off (1), low SpD (2)

Mega Slowbro:

Pros: Eats up knock offs (1), more defense and much more SpD (2), good win con (3), much better at crippling with t-wave if packing it (4)
Cons: gets worn down easier (1), takes up mega slot (2)

using that set I feel like mega slowbro and slowbro pertain the same viability, sure mega slowbro doesn't have regen or lefties, but it's a better win con, eats up knocks offs much better (for example it can easily counter weavile (if mega'd) while slowbro cannot), has more defense and a LOT more SpD, and can cripple and abuse thunder wave to a better extent, but then again Slowbro does not take a mega slot and has more longevity throughout the game. On the same note, Slowbro is not necessarily mega slowbro, but mega slowbro is necessarily slowbro, meaning you don't have to mega evolve right off that bat, giving you the regen ability to sustain throughout the game, albeit not have much defense.

overall, mega slowbro loses some niches that regular slowbro has (even though it can use some temporarily) but at the same time it gains a lot, overall balancing it out. I think mega slowbro and slowbro should be in the same rank, regardless if it was A- or A, but I prefer A.
I mean, those pros don't outweigh those cons...

When you lack lefties and regenerator, your effective bulk goes way down despite increased stats. If you're using him primarily as a wall, you're so much better of just using regular Slowbro considering how long you'll end up waiting to Mega Evolve. I don't really understand what "better at crippling with t-wave" means, especially considering running twave on mega bro eats up a valuable moveslot. And you said it isn't solely a wincon, but then went on to describe it as essentially a wincon. Yeah, it's a wincon that can participate in the match before setting up; not a ton a mons are wincons that can't be used at all before the condition is fulfilled.

You also are really, severely underrating the value of a mega slot, which I think dice really summed up nicely. Your new found ability to tank some knock offs is vastly outweighed by the lack of another mega. Slowbro does the jobs it needs to, and benefits much more from having the support of/supporting other mons/megas than trying to overload on stats and do it all.

Ok, so now that I have some time, let's talk about MegaBro. First off, every one saying that MegaBro RestTalk set is not worthwhile when there is Suicine, that's not necessarily true. There has always been one problem when I use CroCune, which is crits, and wouldn't you know MegaBro's ability makes it so you can't get critted, as well as having better physical bulk. Second point is MegaBro beats things normal Bro can't, such as Weavile and Kyu-B, as well as having much higher Sp. Att which allows it to run a better offensive set. For these reasons MegaBro should stay at A for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)