Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Is torch really that good of a card to make auto include? It seems that a lot of games it's just a deal 3 damage for 3 mana, yeah spell synergy and all that, but 3 mana deal 3 damage feels bad man. Yes it gives you a discounted fireball in your deck but at least in the current state of hs where games are decided by around turn 6-7. You have like, 4 turns to try and draw that card which isn't really that great of a chance.

Looks better in slower control matchups or freeze mage, but it looks meh otherwise

Is torch really that good of a card to make auto include? It seems that a lot of games it's just a deal 3 damage for 3 mana, yeah spell synergy and all that, but 3 mana deal 3 damage feels bad man. Yes it gives you a discounted fireball in your deck but at least in the current state of hs where games are decided by around turn 6-7. You have like, 4 turns to try and draw that card which isn't really that great of a chance.

Looks better in slower control matchups or freeze mage, but it looks meh otherwise
Valid points, but here are my thoughts:

Against fast decks Tempo Mage wants to play like a control deck. Against slow decks Tempo Mage wants to play like a fast deck. In the first scenario 3 mana deal 3 is still usable, if you can answer a Knife Juggler or Darnassus Aspirant for example like that you're in decent shape (much better than if you had an Arcane Intellect for example in that same slot). In the second scenario you're far more likely to last long enough to draw the 3 mana Fireball which gives your deck wayyyyy more reach which is very strong and arguably still better than what AI offers.

Wouldn't go THAT far :P

I feel like part of Ysera's strength is her excellent stat distribution which blows away that of a 7/8. And then you're getting yourself a 10 mana card that you might not want to play at any point since you're only ever playing your 9/7/8 in control mirrors and you'll probably need to keep removing your opponent's stuff every turn rather than ignoring it in favor of a bunch of 3/3s or whatnot. And then there's the fact that control mirrors only happen in like 10% of ladder games nowadays lol :(
Eh, a 4/12 is about as good as a 7/8 in a deck with a lot of BGH targets anyway. Used to be that 4/12 was good because priest can't interact with it but shrink cabal has been a niche option and now Entomb is an even better one which affects both equally. More health is fine for trading with mid drops, but the 7/8 contests stuff like antonidas and the main body of doctor boom, does better against any 5 health minion, and is more relevant when 2/3 of the drawn cards can push for serious damage. Lines up worse against handlock for sure, getting through taunts, giant shadowflame or even trade, etc, but the ysera usually gets silenced and helps less anyway. You also wanted ysera to stick for multiple turns to draw more cards and 12 heath gives you the best shot at that, 7/8 has no such motivation and instead deals more damage to minions that trade with it.

The avenging wrath choice lets you clear, and the worst card, the buff spell can be like pyroblast to be played on the last turn of the game anyway. I think the ability to choose between diverse and strong options is worth 10 mana, and I hope it sees play because it will make the game more interesting.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
ngl, Golden Monkey is ass. The amount of time it takes for that effect to pull off and also the fact that the Legendaries you get are entirely at the mercy of RNG makes this something I would only play in a casual game with friends. Or in Arena (maybe).

Also Sir Finley Mrrglton is literally the best named card in this set. lol

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys I'm just now coming back to Hearthstone after about a year and a half break and I used to be a pretty casual player still trying to learn the game but dropped out cuz it was too imbalanced with broken shit and whatnot, but I can't deny it was fun as fuck so I wanna give it another shot.

A couple things though. Are there any good hearthstone streams to keep an eye out on? tournaments?

and how the fuck do u pronounce hearthstone? is it pronounced like heart but with a th sound at the end and then stone? or herthstone like "earth" ?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
It is pronounced "Harth" stone. Just like you would with "heart" as you said but with a th sound at the end.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overall most of the cards this set disappoint me. Torch can replace a Fireball in tempo mage, Bron is good depending on how double targeted battlecries work, and Entomb is just another Priest removal spell (which they didn't need). The Rogue 3/4, while on paper is good, probably won't see play given that Rogue can't really support a DR deck (what are you going to do? Cold Blood an Egg?). I also don't see the new Paladin 4 drop to actually be used. It's a worse Aldor, and what 4 drop are you actually going to cut for it? The four mana slot for Paladin is fucking stacked.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
warlock / shaman only have 1 more class exclusive way to activate egg than rogue does (the most popular way being for the same mana cost to boot) and they seem to activate it just fine.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
warlock / shaman only have 1 more class exclusive way to activate egg than rogue does (the most popular way being for the same mana cost to boot) and they seem to activate it just fine.
They're not punished since the follow up plays can work out (Void Terror / Reincarnate). Modern Shaman dropped Egg for Creeper anyway for Flame Totem value.

edit:

I now see what you're saying but the fact is modern tempo rogue doesn't really work with DR. It need faster aggressive minions, not zoo-esque. Those are more battlecry and charge rather than deathrattle.

edit 2:

two ways to activate egg is way better than one

Last edited:

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I know two is better than one (though one could argue Oil is also an activator), but a new, more zergish Rogue deck will probably have no problems activating an egg.

Matthew

If someone comes up with a strong t1/2 zoo rogue I might eat my hat.

As for the meta presently I'm loving Rogue that's just cleaning up the ladder and control Priest (not Dragon) is crushing it as well. Been seeing far more Patron Warriors and Freeze Mage, perhaps the meta is slowing down?

If someone comes up with a strong t1/2 zoo rogue I might eat my hat.

As for the meta presently I'm loving Rogue that's just cleaning up the ladder and control Priest (not Dragon) is crushing it as well. Been seeing far more Patron Warriors and Freeze Mage, perhaps the meta is slowing down?
Last month I had a lot of success with regular control priest once I hit legend, got close to top 100 before I hit a huge run of bad luck. This month I'm a lot less motivated to play cause I played against enough secret pally for two seasons. If the meta's slowing down, though maybe I'll try it. If rogue's good again maybe it's time to learn that as well.

My feeling on a lot of LoE cards is "Gee I'm glad this exists but it's not something we need right now". People can run entomb in the priest decks but this is not even close to the meta for it. Rafaam has the niche of an aggressive Ysera but no one wants to run that. The Golden Monkey legendary basically wins against only fatigue decks that don't expect that many threats but the meta will never be that slow. The deathrattle rogue card and the 3/4 monkey make sense in their classes and are on the way to new archetpyes but the rest of the deck just isn't there yet. Reno can win the freeze mage mirror, but is that matchup more important on ladder than the hunter one?

So I decided to have bit fun and make a inspire mage deck. Its surprisingly decent and can handle a lot of decks if used correctly. You could easily replace a lot of those cards such as flamestrike since you already should be clearing a lot. I would have a frost giant(or 2) in there but I don't have any. Tournament medic is also a good 4 drop if you replace something of your liking, although I would only put it in if you plan on running giants as well. Please let me know if you use it and if you make any changes, I'm trying to make this a real deck! cheers
EDIT: If you're ever about to play some hs and have me added feel free to hop in my discord: https://discord.gg/0b3CQuMssmD9ngw0
My bnet: Coolbiz#1538

I've been toying around with Ancient Shade in Zoo. People have been way too quick to dismiss Ancient Shade because of its 4 health and vulnerability to BGH, but it fits perfectly in a deck that is focused on trading up and maintaining board control. If the opponent BGHs Ancient Shade, it's not even a big tempo swing because they have to drop it on 4 or 5, which really fucks with the curve. Yes, your Shade dies, but their turn 4 or 5 play is going to die to your 1 or 2 drop or even just a spider token. They also won't have that BGH for Dr. Boom later on. The 4 health is bad against pretty much just Eviscerate and Frostbolt because if your opponent wants to Truesilver or Death's Bite it, they're eating 7, which is kind of the point. Eviscerates and Frostbolts also rarely last to turn 4/5 because the opponent wants to spend those early removal spells on Imp Gang Boss and Knife Juggler.

Running Ancient Shade over Shredder means the rest of your early game really has to stick and the opponent's minions really have to die, so I'm running double Power Overwhelming and a Void Terror to go along with it and a Zombie Chow + a Loatheb to make sure the board sticks later on.

Loving LoE so far in general though, best adventure by far with the most viable group of cards that are definitely the most versatile. Stoked for murloc week, I think Everyfin is Awesome is gonna be sick.

worgen warrior is actually a competitive thing, it just fell out completely when patron warrior became a thing because it did the same control until you burst them out thing better. kolento lost to worgen warrior in top 4 of blizzcon 2014.

it's probably good again. this meta is predominantly aggro/reno bullshit. classically bad against paladin but what can you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)