Unpopular opinions

Words change their meanings all the time*. The concept of what a "video game" is has naturally shifted as the genre has developed. Nobody playing Pac-Man in a 1982 arcade could have foreseen what the video game landscape would look like in 2015.

Let's also not concern ourselves with what is and isn't a video game. All that can do is stifle the creativity of those who want to experiment with the medium.

*For example, today the word "computer" means something with a quad-core processor. In the 1970s it was something you had to program yourself from scratch. In the 1870s it was what we would now call a statistician, ie one who computed things. Does this mean that the new Samsung laptop is not a computer?
I'm well aware of that. I found it particularly helpful to define the term because it brought out the reasons we enjoy the franchise to begin with (ie the reasons you listed). Those reasons beg the question again - is the main game something that needs to be challenging? Why is everyone focused on the definition and not the question it asks? If challenge isn't part of how we define our experience with Pokémon then why do we want it to be difficult? If we take my definition seriously then we can agree that the 'game' aspect of the series happens in battles against one another, which is plenty challenging and incorporates all of the elements you listed. We can also see the main adventure portion as a stepping stone to the competition part of the game. If we look at it from the other definitions people brought up, those that do not include competition and challenge, well, they don't include challenge so either way the game succeeds without challenge being integral to its success.

I honestly hope no one thinks I don't consider Pokémon a game. I feel you guys are misunderstanding what I'm doing here.

It's a game if it most reasonable people will agree its a game.
It's been made too easy if a large proportion of the player base complain that it is too easy and nobody is saying the opposite.
Apart from being a very bad argument (there is a lot I could pick apart within that first statement) all I really have to say regarding this is that if you think it's a stupid discussion don't participate. I don't think those of who have necessarily think it is (see quote below) even if they think my argument is bad. Done!

"What exactly is a game?"
This is very interesting. What defines a game? I was thinking and trying to come up with boundaries to define it, but in the end, there are so many different types of games, that this will be very difficult to define. There are genres, with different games being played for different reasons and purposes.

Last edited:
I'm well aware of that. I found it particularly helpful to define the term because it brought out the reasons we enjoy the franchise to begin with (ie the reasons you listed). Those reasons beg the question again - is the main game something that needs to be challenging? Why is everyone focused on the definition and not the question it asks? If challenge isn't part of how we define our experience with Pokémon then why do we want it to be difficult? If we take my definition seriously then we can agree that the 'game' aspect of the series happens in battles against one another, which is plenty challenging and incorporates all of the elements you listed. We can also see the main adventure portion as a stepping stone to the competition part of the game. If we look at it from the other definitions people brought up, those that do not include competition and challenge, well, they don't include challenge so either way the game succeeds without challenge being integral to its success.

I honestly hope no one thinks I don't consider Pokémon a game. I feel you guys are misunderstanding what I'm doing here.

Apart from being a very bad argument (there is a lot I could pick apart within that first statement) all I really have to say regarding this is that if you think it's a stupid discussion don't participate. I don't think those of who have necessarily think it is (see quote below) even if they think my argument is bad. Done!
I don't really understand what you mean with the last sentence that refers to my post, but I'd just like to reassure you that I don't think I'm misunderstanding you, and I'm well aware of the fact that you do consider Pokémon to be a game (otherwise you wouldn't be here on Smogon in the first place :b).

It's hard to explain the effect your initial post had on me, the one that sparked the discussion, but I will try to do it anyway. Contrast is very important, because it makes us more aware of who we are and what we want, think or do. Thanks to this contrast, even if it is hypothetical, we can create these new personal definitions for what gaming means to us, and become more aware in general. What your post did, is give me a feeling of contrast, even though I knew it was just theoretical. That way I was inspired to learn more about what gaming means to me personally, and how I could try to apply that a universal/more objective definition.

The lack of challenge in Pokémon games does not bother me at all, and I actually only enjoy the games more now that I have quit playing competitively (but still love Smogon because of the substance and level of discussions and communication etc.). Obviously, that means that I play Pokemon for different reasons from challenge, but still consider it and treat it like a game. It's not that I'm not unfamiliar with competitiveness or challenges either, and I can appreciate them all the same.

Before I become obsessed with Pokemon (once I started playing Pokemon 5 years ago, I never really got around to playing other video games anymore), I actually played a variety of different games and genres, one of which was Demon's Souls, a game (or franchise if you count Dark Souls as part of the same line) notorious for being challenging. I loved that game intensively and even picked up the competitive aspect of it for a while. Yet I have never played a game or had a reason for playing (the challenge) so very different from Pokemon and why I am playing these games now. There are lots of different reasons for playing a game, and I feel the challenge part is just one reason for it, and not required for me to perceive it as a game.

I personally wasn't satisfied with OD's definitions, so I made my own. After all I agree, words and definitions change. Language is fluid, and it evolves continuously. If something doesn't exist the way you feel it should, you can create your own version of it. So I did, I created my own definition in my last post in this thread. For me gaming is an interactive activity that one engages in for amusement. So now I'm pretty content about how I feel about gaming. My perception has cleared up, and that's why I liked this discussion.

I don't really understand what you mean with the last sentence that refers to my post, but I'd just like to reassure you that I don't think I'm misunderstanding you, and I'm well aware of the fact that you do consider Pokémon to be a game (otherwise you wouldn't be here on Smogon in the first place :b).
I can't respond to your whole post now but will edit this later when I can. For now I just wanted to say that this:

"What exactly is a game?"
This is very interesting. What defines a game? I was thinking and trying to come up with boundaries to define it, but in the end, there are so many different types of games, that this will be very difficult to define. There are genres, with different games being played for different reasons and purposes.
was only included as part of my response to D_what's post because it supported my claim that this isn't an unworthy discussion to be having. He disregarded the whole thing in an extremely simplistic argument to try and shut it down. I felt that the majority of responses I got, including yours, were positive and I felt his sarcasm was unwarranted, that's all. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

A lot of people seem to preceive Pokémon as "just a game," I see. I on the other hand, comprehend it as a full-fledged world with both scientific and fantastical potential, if not necessarily both. I think about the flavor more than the gameplay, although I avoid integrating either.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
more unpopular opinions: If I was offered a choice between Undertale and every main series Pokemon game ever released I would choose Undertale

..or get the games, sell them, then buy multiple copies of Undertale to distribute around the world

Same applies for Bastion

I REALLY LIKE STEALTH ROCKS IMPACT ON THE METAGAME

so shoot me! :P
((also I know it's wrong but omitting the apostrophe in stealth rocks looks really weird :| ))
"Stealth Rocks' impact on the Metagame."
Doesn't look weird to me. Also, if you don't like how it looks, word it differently:
"I REALLY LIKE THE IMPACT OF STEALTH ROCKS ON THE METAGAME"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
more unpopular opinions: If I was offered a choice between Undertale and every main series Pokemon game ever released I would choose Undertale

..or get the games, sell them, then buy multiple copies of Undertale to distribute around the world

Same applies for Bastion
Comparing apples to oranges there, buddy. Or rather maybe a batch of strawberries (Pokemon) to an apple (Undertale) and to an orange (Bastion).

[quote="-NLMRY-, post: 652]
Apart from being a very bad argument (there is a lot I could pick apart within that first statement) all I really have to say regarding this is that if you think it's a stupid discussion don't participate. I don't think those of who have necessarily think it is (see quote below) even if they think my argument is bad. Done![/quote]

Oh sorry man, no offence meant, "done" really signalled the end of my thought processes on it as opposed to a pseudo "/thread". Semantics are important, but my brain is wired for the practicalities - obviously majority rule is a ridiculously abusable clause in a lot of important arguments, but when it comes to defining what is and isn't a game I'll always fall back to " if people play it then = ". It's a personal viewpoint rather than some sort of implied be-all end-all argument-closing debate winner. I should have been clearer :V

Definitely no sarcasm either I was pretty srs :V

Edit: aaaaah formatting

Oh sorry man, no offence meant, "done" really signalled the end of my thought processes on it as opposed to a pseudo "/thread". Semantics are important, but my brain is wired for the practicalities - obviously majority rule is a ridiculously abusable clause in a lot of important arguments, but when it comes to defining what is and isn't a game I'll always fall back to " if people play it then = ". It's a personal viewpoint rather than some sort of implied be-all end-all argument-closing debate winner. I should have been clearer :V

Definitely no sarcasm either I was pretty srs :V

Edit: aaaaah formatting
Well then I apologize for my interpretation of your post. It's very hard to convey intent through text, as I'm sure you know, but maybe I overreacted. Thanks for your clarification.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shiny Pokemon: While I can see some appeal in Shiny Pokemon I don't go out of my way to find them. Sure I would maybe try increasing my chances of finding one like with the Shiny Charm, Masuda Method, and PokeRadar but I don't usually Shiny hunt or when I do it isn't long (mostly because I get frustrated with my PokeRadar chain keep breaking).

But as Karxrida said many Shiny Pokemon are bland or their color scheme really doesn't work. However that was back when they needed to store a different sprite for the Shiny Pokemon. However now that we moved to 3D models changing a Pokemon's color is as simple as a few tweaks (look at Super Smash Bros. and the first Pokemon Stadium for example). I think maybe it won't hurt to change how a Shiny Pokemon works and allow for multiple kinds of Shiny Pokemon. Like their can be ones which are darker or lighter shade to their original counterparts, ones which take on the coloration of another member of their evolution line/Pokemon family that the species is closely related to, ones which are just a different color just because, etc..

Heck, if they do that they can even make Shiny hunting easier since people would probably be looking for a specific Shiny instead of just a Shiny (or collect all the Shiny version of a Pokemon...).

Shiny Pokemon used to seem like a 'big important thing' back when I couldn't get them, but I never had the patience for Masuda Method, and when I finally learned RNG and I... noticed that I didn't actually like how most of them were coloured. In addition, it didn't matter anymore now that I could get them. The rarity and chance aspect with random encounters, where you cannot predict which ones and when you encounter them, are a vital part of what made it feel 'magical'. I searched for some shinies which had a colouration that I liked, but out of the 720 Pokemon currently in existence, I only actually liked maybe 10 or 15 shinies, and in 100% of the cases I preferred the normal colouration. I think I will pick up Masuda Method solely for shiny Premier Ball Greninja, but other than that, no, I won't bother, and I can't see the hype going on with shinies on other parts of the internet.

Shiny Pokemon used to seem like a 'big important thing' back when I couldn't get them, but I never had the patience for Masuda Method, and when I finally learned RNG and I... noticed that I didn't actually like how most of them were coloured. In addition, it didn't matter anymore now that I could get them. The rarity and chance aspect with random encounters, where you cannot predict which ones and when you encounter them, are a vital part of what made it feel 'magical'. I searched for some shinies which had a colouration that I liked, but out of the 720 Pokemon currently in existence, I only actually liked maybe 10 or 15 shinies, and in 100% of the cases I preferred the normal colouration. I think I will pick up Masuda Method solely for shiny Premier Ball Greninja, but other than that, no, I won't bother, and I can't see the hype going on with shinies on other parts of the internet.
I think it's ironic that some of the best looking shinies are starters, which are very hard to get shinies of without breeding. Notably Froakie line, Charmander line, and Fennekin line.

Hot pink,barf green, purple or gold are the only shiny Pokémon I feel are worth of breeding for the jokes you can associate on them, well at least that's my opinion since I loathe the black color or pale blue/red palettes on shiny Pokémon.

Hot pink,barf green, purple or gold are the only shiny Pokémon I feel are worth of breeding for the jokes you can associate on them, well at least that's my opinion since I loathe the black color or pale blue/red palettes on shiny Pokémon.
I remember the first time I Mega Evolved my Shiny Garchomp I had back from an online trade in Diamond. It was in a Multi-Battle with my friends and lo-and-behold a Big Purple Dragon!

Forgive me, but...
I actually liked Pokestar Studios.
It was a nice change of pace from wandering around Team Plasma's ship over and over again, and it even taught you some neat battle strategies, if I remember correctly. Of course, they seem pretty dumbed down compared to Smogon's strategies, but remember: this is a game targeted for kids, who may have never played a Pokemon game before. The forced battle beforehand was unnecessary and boring, but how else would you introduce Pokestar Studios? And to all the Pokestar Studio haters out there...

It's optional.

You don't have to make movies if you don't want to. I just think it was a unique aspect that is underappreciated sometimes. It attracted a different audience to the game.

The musicals, though, they were total crap. Nobody likes them.

Forgive me, but...
It was a nice change of pace from wandering around Team Plasma's ship over and over again, and it even taught you some neat battle strategies, if I remember correctly. Of course, they seem pretty dumbed down compared to Smogon's strategies, but remember: this is a game targeted for kids, who may have never played a Pokemon game before. The forced battle beforehand was unnecessary and boring, but how else would you introduce Pokestar Studios? And to all the Pokestar Studio haters out there...

It's optional.

You don't have to make movies if you don't want to. I just think it was a unique aspect that is underappreciated sometimes. It attracted a different audience to the game.

Also, if you complete a movie with one of your own Pokémon, they get a cool battle animation when they are sent in. I had my entire Sandstorm team set up like that.
The musicals do suck, though. There wasn't really any gameplay, nor rewards. It was really just a waste of space.

Pokestar was fun, though it's something I've only been able to do once on my first play through since it's a bit long. It was a very good addition to B2/W2 though, many of the movies were hilarious.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Forgive me, but...

It's optional.

My biggest gripe with Pokestar Studios was the forced tutorial, which really kills the momentum of a playthrough. The forced save also dashed my hopes of completing a nuzlocke run without having to erase my main file (I was planning to just keep the 3DS in sleep mode when I wasn't playing).

Beyond that, I agree Pokestar Studios was a fun time killer. I found it more entertaining than contests tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)