[Online Competition] Festive Feud

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

What better way to spread holiday cheer than with Pokémon battles in the Festive Feud Online Competition! In this competition, your team must consist of selected red, green, and white Pokémon, celebrating the colors of the season. Download a complete list of eligible Pokémon. Everyone who completes at least three battles in the Festive Feud will receive a Delibird that knows the move Happy Hour, a rare move that increases your reward for winning a battle. Delibird is also holding a Relic Gold, a valuable item that previously hasn’t been available in Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

All battles are Triple Battles played in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. You may not bring in Pokémon from earlier games via Poké Transporter. All Pokémon above and below Lv. 50 will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the match.

Registration for the Festive Feud Online Competition begins Thursday, December 3, 2015, at 00:00 UTC. You’ll need a Pokémon Trainer Club account and your own copy of the Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire video game with a party of eligible Pokémon. And you’ll need to read and accept the regulations before the battle period begins on December 11 at 00:00 UTC.

For more information on the Festive Feud Online Competition, keep checking Pokemon.com and the Pokémon Global Link!
Summary:
  • Triple battle competition
  • Only red, white, and green pokemon are allowed! (Complete list here)
  • 10 battles per day
  • Normal battle spot rules otherwise (item clause, no legendaries, etc)
  • Pentagon is required
  • Prize for completing at least 3 battles is a special Delibird that knows Happy Hour and Present and is holding Relic Gold.
  • Registration period: Dec 3-10
  • Competition period: Dec 11-13

Notable pokemon:
Red:
(all formes)
White:

Green:

Last edited:
Notable Pokemon:

Charizard, Scizor, Porygon2, Blaziken, Medicham, Camerupt, Latias, Rotom, Scolipede, Krookodile, Scrafty, Bisharp, Talonflame, Venusaur, Politoad, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Ludicolo, Breloom, Serperior, Whimsicott, Smeargle, Gardevoir, Abomasnow, Togekiss, Gallade, Amoonguss, Jellicent, Volcarona, Meowstic

Allowed mega pokemon:

Venusaur, Tyranitar, Sceptile, Charizard, Scizor, Blaziken, Medicham, Camerupt, Gardevoir, Gallade, Abomasnow, Latias

• All weather setters are available

• Flying moves can target any Pokemon in triples, so Talonflame is highly viable. It's countered by Rotom and Tyranitar, though.

• I suppose that all Rotom formes are allowed?

• Redirection is in form of Volcarona, Togekiss and Amoongus

• Meowstic has prankster screens, very good in triples

• Pulse moves (Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse ) can target any pokemon on the field.

• Intimidate: Scrafty, Krookodile

I really like this idea. Many popular VGC pokemon are banned, so I anticipate many creative teams. Also, triples hasn't been a Online competition format for a long time

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol is "relic gold" seriously an item that's coded into the game...wtf Game Freak

Someone should use Sudowoodo This comp looks super cool! It's interesting, because a lot of the powerhouses of VGC 15 will still be here, but there won't be as much to deal with them. Charizard will probably be suuuper good here, considering a vast majority of these mons are Ice and Grass.

Does anyone know what Relic Gold is? Because if it's something stupid I probably won't play, considering I'm bad at Triples, I don't have time, and I'm Jewish.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
relic gold is the thing that you can get in the underwater ruins in BW2 and the karate dude buys for a lot of cash. I imagine it's just a selling item in ORAS as well

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Charizard will probably be suuuper good here, considering a vast majority of these mons are Ice and Grass.
We've also got tyranitar, politoed, virizion (checks it at least) and rotom-heat. But yes, char-Y will be very good here

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gardevoir + Quick Guard seems very nice here, as it can fire off Hyper Voices against a lot of the format (Scrafty, Krookodile, Latias, Tyranitar, Sceptile and so on) and can be protected against the two big threats to it, which are Talonflame and Scizor. There isn't much in this format in the way of Wide Guard (the best options probably being Parasect or Gallade) so it's fairly difficult to block repeated Hyper Voices as well.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Mega Gardevoir + Quick Guard seems very nice here, as it can fire off Hyper Voices against a lot of the format (Scrafty, Krookodile, Latias, Tyranitar, Sceptile and so on) and can be protected against the two big threats to it, which are Talonflame and Scizor. There isn't much in this format in the way of Wide Guard (the best options probably being Parasect or Gallade) so it's fairly difficult to block repeated Hyper Voices as well.
List of eligible fully evolved pokemon that can learn Wide Guard:
Kingler
Throh
Crustle
Parasect
Gallade
Torterra
Regigigas

and ones that can learn Quick Guard:

Chesnaught
Sceptile
Hawlucha
Scizor
Virizion
Talonflame
Bisharp
Gallade
Meowstic
Pangoro
Zangoose
Medicham

Not much in the way of wide guard but at least quick guard has a lot of options.

And while I'm at it, krookodile and scrafty are the only two pokemon with intimidate.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Might go full crazy and run Eviolite Wingull - it's the only thing that gets both Wide Guard and Tailwind :D

e: Pyritie Medicham gets Quick Guard too fwiw

All the wide guard pokes in this tier look pretty mediocre, aside from smeargle but smeargle would usually rather be doing other things. So one of the best tools for defense in triples is pretty meh in this format, im not sure how many of these pokes will be worth the slot. Kingler could be cool with ally switch, and the ability to beat tflame.

And since nobody's listed this already i figure I will, here's some notable Snatch mons:
Talonflame, Scrafty, Reuniclus, Kecleon, Gallade, Serperior, Rotom, Krookodile, Pangoro, Gardevoir(weird move choice for gard though unless non mega, could still be useful on mega though), and theres some others that i think either arent that viable or wouldn't want to run snatch in their movesets, feel free to look into more though. For those who aren't aware, snatch is pretty great in triples cause it takes a lot of common support moves such as both Guard moves(important to allow your fake outs to go up and spread attacks to hit the opponent), Screens and Tailwind.

I think talonflame is gonna be really good here, as it always is in triples. Fairy and fire resist is nice, quick guard, snatch, tailwind, hits anywhere on field with priority. Always gonna be a solid pick. Smeargle looks great too, make sure you're prepared for sleep.

Sun and rain both look strong, ttar is solid too but unfortunately no exca to back him up. Sun and rain both have good swift swim/chloro mons in the format as well, but i dont think sun even needs to focus on chloro to be good here. Zard Y is gonna be strong and has a good matchup against Gardevoid which i think will be the other really strong mega of the format. And tr has two great megas with Camerupt and Abomasnow. Some good setters, Meowstic, jellicent, and more, i can see TR being viable for sure too.

Last edited:
So we all agree that Megazard Y is going to be good in this, but what are people's thoughts on Gardevoir? Paired with Tailwind from Talonflame and something with Snatch (for Wide Guard), Hyper Voice is going to hurt pretty much everything. Furthermore, unlike Charizard it can win against Politoed and Tyranitar.

So we all agree that Megazard Y is going to be good in this, but what are people's thoughts on Gardevoir? Paired with Tailwind from Talonflame and something with Snatch (for Wide Guard), Hyper Voice is going to hurt pretty much everything. Furthermore, unlike Charizard it can win against Politoed and Tyranitar.
I think gardevoir will be great in this, talonflame is a great partner with snatch and tailwind for sure. Not a huge amount of resists for hyper voice tbh. And luckily, all the wide guarders are pretty meh so i dont think it'll be too hard to play around them.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
11-13? I might actually be able to play in this one for once. The ruleset is really funny, I like it. I've been wanting to get into triples for a while so this seems like a fun way to start.

Definitely going to base my team around Tyranitar, and may even use Cradily. All these Pokemon look really cool though, so it'll be hard to pick.

So I tried to pick out the most notable pokemon of the notable pokemon in the OP and tried to give them each roles to give ideas of what the pokemon available can do.

Notable pokemon:
Red:
(weather, spread attacker, TW, mega)
(priority, guard breaker, QG, TW, mega)
(tr setter, tr tank)
(fast strong attacker, mega)
(fake out, guard breaker, QG, mega)
(tr abuser, spread attacker, mega)
(support, TW, mega)
(intimidate, spread attacker, shenanigan ability)
(fake out, intimidate, guard breaker)
(anti intimidate, priority)
(anti intimidate, flying, TW)
(priority, flying, guard breaker, TW, QG)
(guard breaker, status spreader) (all formes)
White:
(sleep, guard breaker, WG/QG, redirecton, fake out, support)
(spread attacker, support, tr, anti tr, mega)
(weather, tr abuser, spread attacker, mega)
(redirection, TW)
(QG, shenanigan ability, tr, mega)
(redirection, sleep)
(tr setter)
(redirection, spread attacker)
(tr setter, QG, fake out, guard breaker, support)
Green:
(weather abuser, sleep, mega)
(weather, support)
(weather, spread attacker, mega)
(QG, shenanigan ability, mega)
(fake out, weather abuser)
(sleep, guard breaker, priority)
(tr tank, shenanigan ability)
(tr setter)
(fast strong attacker, guard breaker)
(TW, support)
(tr setter, tr abuser)
(TW, flying)

mega=doesn't mean it will always be mega, just a possibility

guard breaker=feint/snatch

QG=quick guard

WG=wide guard

tr=trick room

flying=flying type moves hit any side of the field regardless of position so they have a nice advantage in triples

shenanigan ability=can be used to support a team or activated by a teammate to give boosts

Hope this helps someone out :) Sorry it's kinda messy, I might fix it up later. I probably missed some stuff as well, i'll change things if anyone wants me to.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know the wide guard selection is desperate in this metagame, but here are two struggle-meal tier Wide Guarders I'm considering to test out!

Throh

This is the closest thing we'd be getting to Hariyama. The support movepool isn't nearly as good as Hariyama's thanks to the lack of Fake Out, but hey Throh has good bulk at least! In fact, you can EV it to survive a Mega Charizard-Y Overheat in the sun! Hell, even Mega Gardevoir Psyshock only has like a 48% chance to OHKO Specially Defensive Throh o_O. Still though, Throh's support movepool leaves a lot to be desired, but Wide Guard and Helping Hand might be enough to pull it through.. Here's the moveset I'm thinking for it.

Throh @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Helping Hand
- Protect
- Storm Throw / Superpower

Regigigas

YEAH I JUST WENT THERE, MERRY FREAKING CHRISTMAS YOU FILTHY PIECE OF TRASH!

Not getting Protect sucks, and so does Slow Start... but I have to admit, its the bulkiest Wide Guard mon allowed, which means I might have to give it a shot. It also isn't weak to Fairy or Fire, which sounds pretty handy in this metagame! I'm imagining a set like this

Regigigas @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Slow Start
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Return

Toterra was also brought up on IRC, but I haven't thought too much about that thing yet!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Regigigas

YEAH I JUST WENT THERE, MERRY FREAKING CHRISTMAS YOU FILTHY PIECE OF TRASH!

Not getting Protect sucks, and so does Slow Start... but I have to admit, its the bulkiest Wide Guard mon allowed, which means I might have to give it a shot. It also isn't weak to Fairy or Fire, which sounds pretty handy in this metagame! I'm imagining a set like this

Regigigas @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Slow Start
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Return
Preeeeeeeetty sure regigigas is included in the typical list of banned legendaries.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn Tmon beat me to mentioning Regigigas! I've always kinda liked him (some of you on PS! would know I've thought about trying him in BSS and that I rave about him in randbats) and since he actually has some kinda niche here (bulky Wide Guarder) it seems as though this could be the one and only chance to try him out (and he is super christmasy!). The moveset Tmon posted is the exact same I would have done, but is SpD the best nature? It prob is, I'm just worried I won't be able to track down a Careful one around here, so may have to SR for it I guess..

Preeeeeeeetty sure regigigas is included in the typical list of banned legendaries.
He's usable in every Battle Spot format (evidenced by his usage stats on the PGL) so yeah...

Might go full crazy and run Eviolite Wingull - it's the only thing that gets both Wide Guard and Tailwind :D
pleassssseeeeeeee

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn Tmon beat me to mentioning Regigigas! I've always kinda liked him (some of you on PS! would know I've thought about trying him in BSS and that I rave about him in randbats) and since he actually has some kinda niche here (bulky Wide Guarder) it seems as though this could be the one and only chance to try him out (and he is super christmasy!). The moveset Tmon posted is the exact same I would have done, but is SpD the best nature? It prob is, I'm just worried I won't be able to track down a Careful one around here, so may have to SR for it I guess..

He's usable in every Battle Spot format (evidenced by his usage stats on the PGL) so yeah...

pleassssseeeeeeee
Honestly I'm just going with Careful because I wanna take Charizard's Overheat as well as possible, there might actually be a better spread out there!

Anyone know if the reward will be a code that can be redeemed for the Delibird (like the PGL events)? Or is it automatically given somehow? O.o

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Anyone know if the reward will be a code that can be redeemed for the Delibird (like the PGL events)? Or is it automatically given somehow? O.o
If it's like previous battle spot competition rewards, after the competition is over there will eventually be an announcement on the PGL saying the reward is now available. You log in to the site, go to a specific page they link to, and then you'll get a code. Then you enter that code into your game through the mystery gift system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)