Metagame NP: RU Stage 12: Wrecking Ball (see post 65 and 66)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
The CB set or the boosting sets do not hinder any one playstyle in the tier. Each playstyle has viable ways of checking those sets therefore those sets do not contribute to the overall broken-ness of tyrantrum.
This is simply not true. Yes, each playstyle can check it.
huh?!?!?

Also, I dont THINK that CB tyrant isn't between meh and broken I KNOW it isn't between meh and broken. Ik you keep saying well no that might not be the case because "oh well you think ur going into ur scarf ttrum counter and end up getting 2hkod." This isn't going to be the case all the time though. You have to take into consideration team preview and picking out choice mons. If ur opponent doesn't neccessarily have some of the fastest mons surrounding ttrum or you don't see any other mon that is viable with a scarf, then yeah no shit it's probably scarfed. If you see an obvious scarfer or are able to pick out ur opps scarfer during the beginning of a battle, then its probs band or a boosting set. Now, that is a lot easier said than done but you still have to take into account for those things.

You also are in no position to call somebody "close minded" about a suspect. The mindset players should be having when they go into a suspect is indeed to be open minded and then narrow their thoughts down to what they think about the mon during and after they achieve reqs. If a person thinks that "hey I really don't think the other sets besides scarf play a role in ttrum being broken" that is completely fine. You can't call someone close minded for saying that because that is their opinion. If somebody says "hey I think the scarf set is probably broken and then the other sets are just icing on top of the cake" then that is fine as well. You shouldn't call any person close minded for stating their opinions because not only do you come off as an ass, but it's just blatantly ignorant because people are allowed to have opinions in suspects.

You clearly have your opinions, I clearly have mine, We are both stubborn as fuck. I say we call it a day. The back and forth between us isn't really healthy argument anymore and we don't need to be cluttering up the thread.

Hey guys just thought I should weigh in on this discussion. Yes, I am pro ban on Ttrum. Being a player who mainly plays offense, I can attest to how restricting it is on offensive teambuilding. There are few checks to it, especially the scarf set which I will be discussing. The reason is that you don't have a mon that can pivot into it. For example, eviolite Magneton can beat it when it's locked into Head Smash or Outrage, but can't tank EQ or Superpower. And Seismitoad can't take two Outrages from it. It's just so absurd. Am I saying that we need something that can beat all aspects of it? No of course not. But there is no effective way of beating it without slowing the pace of your team, and thus ruining the whole point of running offense.

However, stall teams do have their checks to Ttrum, and the main set they need to be worried about is probably the band set, as that can rip holes in their teams. But they still lose to certain aspects of it like Bronzong (Ttrum w/out Crunch) and Alomomola (However Banded Head Smash does over half).

So I guess all-in-all, Tyrantrum needs to be banned. It not only makes it really hard to teambuild offensively, but also restricts defensive teams as well

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aighte, since we're almost done with this suspect round and drops are coming down at the end of the week, I want to take some time to discuss some hidden gems (other than Zebstrika) that I've had a fair amount of fun with near the end of this round:

Vileplume (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonblast
- Synthesis

Vileplume is something I think everyone recognizes as having a pretty strong niche currently, but it seriously has such an amazingly solid matchup on p. much every Fighting-type in the tier aside from Gallade when it runs Moonblast. I mean, a Poison-type with reliable recovery and access to a strong Fairy-type move is fucking amazing. It beats Scrafty and Hitmonlee outright and can also do a decent job of checking Flygon if it lacks Fire Blast. Vileplume's high base 110 Special Attack also ensures that Mega Abomasnow doesn't have a free switch-in, which is something quite a few defensive Pokemon struggle with doing. And Effect Spore is Effect Spore. It's totally hilarious to watch it activate and put that Tyrantrum to sleep when you barely live its Head Smash. Ah, so satisfying indeed.... Vileplume tends to struggle badly with Steel-types, especially Durant and Escavalier. Physically defensive Emboar and Alomomola are options for this, especially the former with its 4x Bug resistance. Psychic-types can also be problematic, so using the likes of Spiritomb, Houndoom, and Drapion can be helpful as well.

400 ATTACK BLISSEY (Hariyama) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 112 Def / 136 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge

Assault Vest Hariyama is really fun to use right now. It beats Mega Abomasnow, Houndoom, Mega Glalie, and Mega Camerupt without many issues. Its gargantuan HP also lets it take at least one of most neutral hits in a tight spot on either side of the spectrum. (usually at least 2 from the special side) Not much wants to switch into the combination of Close Combat, Knock Off, and Heavy Slam either, thus making it a nice offensive pivot for balance and bulky offense teams. Sadly, Hariyama can't learn Drain Punch, so a choice of Ice Punch and Stone Edge comes down to which mon you want to surprise; Flygon or Fletchinder. Fletchinder is easier to wear down, but harder to counter while Flygon is the reverse of that; hard to wear down but easier to check. The main turn off to Hariyama as an Assault Vest user is its complete vulnerability to Psychic-type attackers, such as Meloetta, Sigilyph, and Delphox. This can be easily mitigated by utilizing Pursuit Houndoom as these Psychic-types are forced to use their Psychic-type STABs or risk being KOed by Knock Off.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Can I just ask, should we vote based on this meta, or the meta of tomorrow with aggron and sharpedo and the like?

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
It's not like anything that could potentially drop overwhelmingly hurts or benefits Tyrantrum to begin with.

Anyways, something I really noticed in this meta is how terrible so many special walls (I think?) are - most suck momentum AND have no reliable recovery or are like AV King with only a few exceptions (Amoonguss, Spdef Mola, AV Esca I guess?, mixed def Togetic is usable enough). So lately I've been using this set.

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 SpD / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

I know CM + Spdef seems a little redundant, but I've always been a fan of using defensive boosting moves to improve defenses rather than as a pure stallbreaker. I found King to be so incredibly weak to many common special attackers even with max spdef investment, assuming no CM, so it helps me surprise and seriously dent, or outright win, against scary special attackers who I often felt came in on King (Jolteon, Tangrowth, Clawitzer, Exploud). It's not a perfect set, and it definitely loses to some stuff King doesn't want to be losing to (Lee, Emboar, Viriz kind of), but I found it to be really effective alongside offensive Tangrowth and adamant Mega Steelix, because of how that core can be easily worn down by paired special attackers.

I also think that using two strong special attackers together is incredibly strong right now because people are relying more on resists for special attackers than spdef mons, which can lead to them becoming overwhelming. LO Tangrowth + anything special is especially strong imo because Tang really messes with the few spdef mon being used right now, all of whom hate soaking a knock off or taking a leaf storm to the face, especially the ones reliant on AV, and it's excellent phys bulk + regenerator lets it stay a threat through the whole match.

With Megas now being tiered separately from the base forms, the following Pokemon have dropped to RU:

Ampharos
Absol
Aggron
Blastoise
Aerodactyl
Medicham
Sharpedo

Last edited:
This is awesome. We have the true Archeops that people wanted. We have another great Fighting type that can actually combat Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. We got psuedo-Yanmega back (Sharpedo). Aggron is back in RU. And Blastoise finally makes his turn back in RU in a tier desperately needing more hazard clearers.

Let's fucking go.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
This is awesome. We have the true Archeops that people wanted. We have another great Fighting type that can actually combat Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. We got psuedo-Yanmega back (Sharpedo). Aggron is back in RU. And Blastoise finally makes his turn back in RU in a tier desperately needing more hazard clearers.

Let's fucking go.
Don't ever say that accursed name again

But yeah I wouldn't nessecarly say that we are that desperate for hazards removers, since most the other hazard removers do have other purpose (Togetic can functon as a good wall/cleric, Hitmonlee is a great offensive mon in general, and flygon is just amazing in general). Although Blastoise will most likely still be a viable asset in the tier.

Don't ever say that accursed name again

But yeah I wouldn't nessecarly say that we are that desperate for hazards removers, since most the other hazard removers do have other purpose (Togetic can functon as a good wall/cleric, Hitmonlee is a great offensive mon in general, and flygon is just amazing in general). Although Blastoise will most likely still be a viable asset in the tier.
Although Flygon is great at hazard removal, the other two you mentioned, Togetic and Hitmonlee, are not that great at clearing hazards, honestly. Although Togetic is bulky and all, the fact that it is such a momentum drag and that it losses a quarter of its health to SR is a pretty big buzzkill. Hitmonlee on the otherhand pretty much eats itself when it uses Rapid Spin, as the Life Orb recoil and its overall frailty pretty much beg that your opponent might predict an HJK switchin. I'd go as far as saying that stuff such as Sucker Punch (which can snipe psychics pretty well) or Double Edge (nails aromatisse) are much better options. Now if you're referring to just their other roles other than hazard removal, sorry if I sound as if I'm jumping at ya. I'm just saying that something that has better tools for hazard removal is something I'm pretty sure quite some people were hoping for.

I don't really believe that Blastoise will be all that great of a hazard remover in RU. While it can beat most if not all Rockers it however has a problem beating any of the spin-blockers in the tier. Without full SpA invest and Life Orb most of the ghosts in the tier beat it 1v1; Mega-Banette can just D-Bond, Gourgiest-Super and Jellicent can just eat any of it's moves and can ware it down, heck even Trevenant can OHKO it.
Edit: I'm not actually saying that Offensive LO is a good set it's just the only way I foresaw it doing any damage/beating out Ghost types. Also I forgot about foresight.

Maybe I'm underestimating it but personally I'd say that Aerodactyl will be the better Hazard Remover with a Bulky Defog set.

Last edited:
I don't really believe that Blastoise will be all that great of a hazard remover in RU. While it can beat most if not all Rockers it however has a problem beating any of the spin-blockers in the tier. Without full SpA invest and Life Orb most of the ghosts in the tier beat it 1v1; Mega-Banette can just D-Bond, Gourgiest-Super and Jellicent can just eat any of it's moves and can ware it down, heck even Trevenant can OHKO it.
Do realize that Blastoise can at least Toxic poison Mega Banette, Jellicent, and Gourgeist (nette might be able to fire out a faster taunt, not sure as of this edit). Mono Water typing is still a great defensive typing too, so it's a stretch to say that Blastoise won't be a good hazard remover.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aggron and Absol look like they will be pretty decent in RU. Although, the question remains as to whether they'll be as good in this gen's RU as they were in BW2 RU (and as far as I'm concerned, they were both great in BW2 RU). Assuming Tyrantrum gets axed, Aggron will probably be pretty decent in this metagame like it was back in BW2, although not quite as good. Its CB set would be pretty deadly, as Aggron can use a bone-crushingly powerful Head Smash like it did in BW2, and Heavy Slam is also good for dealing with Aromatisse and Togetic, both of which get utterly smashed by the power of it. Aggron can also run quite a few coverage options such as Aqua Tail to hit Rhyperior really hard, or Fire Punch to hit Bronzong and Escavalier hard. It has a lot of physical bulk too so it could take a hit or two to fire Head Smash and bomb stuff. Big problem with it is that it's slow as molasses and is unable to take most special attacks in the tier, not to mention its weaknesses are incredibly exploitable. Luckily it's fast enough to at least outpace some of the defensive Pokemon in the tier like Aromatisse and Slowking. Basically Aggron will be a bit like Exploud: it's very difficult to get into the battle, but once you get it in safely, Aggron will be dishing out a lot of pain, and it'll probably get at least one kill per game, if not more. It'll be pretty good in my opinion, but one needs to be wary that it's pretty damn easy to revenge kill considering it's so slow and has so many weaknesses.

Absol seems like kind of a mixed bag. It got individual benefits from the transition from BW to XY/ORAS, such as new moves for it to use as an attacker such as Play Rough and Knock Off, but at the same time, the metagame itself is quite different from before. That being said, however, it'll still do what it used to do back then, basically being a Dark-type wallbreaker and revenge killer, and a good one at that. It has Sucker Punch, which is a good thing to have considering it can revenge kill a number of common Pokemon such as Delphox, Accelgor, Sigilyph, Meloetta, and more. It also has access to Knock Off as a far more powerful and annoying STAB move as it can hit slower Pokemon harder now with STAB, allowing it to hit stuff like Slowking and Bronzong hard or any other slow mons, and also knock off items, which is great too. Play Rough is also useful to basically hit Scrafty and Fighting-types hard, and the last moveslot is basically up to you: Absol can run Fire Blast there which allows it to hit Tangrowth and Mega Steelix somewhat hard (like it did back in BW2, although just with Steelix), or it can run Pursuit which allows it to trap stuff. Better yet, it can also run SD which allows it to be a great sweeper and late-game cleaner with +2 Sucker Punch hitting stuff hard (think of it as a bit like Bisharp in OU tbh). With LO it hits pretty hard while having good offensive utility since it has priority, good power to wallbreak, and coverage. Only problems with it are that Hitmonlee is gonna be incredibly good in this metagame and that sucks for it. Aromatisse and Togetic, two Fairy-types, are also an issue for it since they exist and can wall Absol assuming you don't run something like Iron Tail. Sucker Punch is also kinda unreliable and can be used to one's advantage by setting up Sub or something. I think Absol has a lot of potential to be good, but not as good as it was in BW2 RU.

Aerodactyl was good in BW2 RU because it was fast as hell and had a good offensive movepool allowing it to perform pretty well against offensive teams. It'll have plenty of merit because it resists Fletchinder's Acrobatics and can revenge it, while it has plenty of coverage as it has a strong Stone Edge and Aerial Ace to work with, which can both hit certain Pokemon hard. It also has okay coverage as it can run Aqua Tail to hit Rhyperior hard or run Fire Blast to hit Mega Steelix and Tangrowth. It outpaces practically everything except Accelgor and Jolteon meaning it can be a great revenge killer, not to mention it has good resists meaning it can check stuff like Emboar and Fletchinder.

Blastoise sounds decent because it's a bulky spinner that can probably act a bit like a Water-type Hitmontop. It has a good matchup against every Rocks setter in RU as it has a good typing and bulk to stand against all of them, and Scald is a very spammable move that can also spread burns which is nice as usual. With a defensive set it can run Foresight to spin on Ghost-types if you want, or you can just poison them with Toxic. I guess an offensive set sounds okay to use LO Dark Pulse to hit Ghost-types but I don't know if that's even plausible. It can burn shit, and it can run Roar or Dragon Tail, and combine these and you can wear a lot of stuff down through phazing and spreading burns. This also is workable against Ghost-types too. Rapid Spin will probably be its big draw though, as well as its ability to phaze, as otherwise you might as well be using Slowking or Clawitzer tbh.

Medicham and Sharpedo were here before so I'm sure most people will know how they're gonna do in this meta, and lol Ampharos will suck ass, it'll end up in PU in two months most likely.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think Aerodactyl is the most exciting drop. Previously there were very few options to outspeed Sigilyph, Durant and Virizion and all three of them were extremely oppressive to defensively oriented teams.

Blastoise + Alomomola dual bulky water cores on stall seem to be a very real possibility. Hitmontop offered very little defensively; the most important 'mon it checked was Sneasel, which Alomomola is already capable of taking on. Blastoise can still take on Rhyperior and Mega Steelix while having a much better matchup against Mega Camerupt and generally being more threatening due to Scald.

Sharpedo has been quite effective so far ESPECIALLY with spikes support. Ice Beam can also wreck some weakened checks/counters like virizion etc etc.... overall very impressed.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Edit: I'm not actually saying that Offensive LO is a good set it's just the only way I foresaw it doing any damage/beating out Ghost types. Also I forgot about foresight.

Maybe I'm underestimating it but personally I'd say that Aerodactyl will be the better Hazard Remover with a Bulky Defog set.
Blastoise can pressure the spinblockers with Toxic + Dark Pulse so it won't really struggle much (also Trevenant is barely even a teambuilding threat to consider). Blastoise has a strong niche in forcing out pretty much every Stealth Rocker in the tier, as well as some Spikes setters in Qwilfish and Omastar, most of them it does so better than Flygon, using its combination of bulk, typing (no exploitable 4x weaknesses), and Water STAB to swiftly dispatch most Stealth Rockers more quickly than Flygon can.

Blastoise does have Foresight for guaranteed spin, but I feel Hitmontop is more suited for that as it can afford to be more passive, since it actually can check some dangerous threats like Scrafty, Absol, Escavalier, and whatnot. Blastoise on the other hand offers a better offensive presence as a bulky hazard remover with a set like Rapid Spin / Scald / Toxic / Dark Pulse while possessing respectable enough bulk to take on most hazard setters with ease; in fact pretty much the only notable hazard setters Blastoise would struggle to spin against are Encore + Final Gambit Accelgor, Freeze-Dry Mega Glalie, and Roselia, end list (well probably Cradily but those don't really have room for SR).

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, so I finally have been able to play around with most of the new drops, and here's what I think will be their best sets / roles. Feel free to discuss, agree, disagree, etc.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Double-Edge / Ice Punch

Choice Band Aggron has the potential to 2HKO virtually every Pokemon in the tier with Head Smash alone. The very few exceptions are dealt with by Heavy Slam and Low Kick. Double-Edge provides Aggron with a no-risk move that still has a lot of power behind it (move that is stable and has 100% accuracy) However, if more defensive variants of Torterra start to crop up, you can use Ice Punch to blow them back. The EV spreads depend on what you want Aggron to do outside of smash stuff. The first spread is enough to outspeed Alomomola and 2HKO it with Head Smash. However, max Speed can be used if you want to outspeed Seismitoad and Blastoise (228 is needed for blaster, but you may as well max out Speed at that point) Overall, I see Aggron being a B+ / A rank threat in RU. It decimates slower teams and does have some resistances to work with vs. offensive teams, but it's weak to a lot of common offensive types and its lackluster Special Defense is worrysome. Other sets to consider are Rock Polish and Magnet Rise.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Sharpedo is probably the most dangerous drop we got. With a set of H-Pump, Crunch, and Ice Beam, Sharpedo is able to decimate many offensive teams. Hdro Pump allows Sharpedo to do more work against bulkier teams as Mega Steelix and Aggron are hit way harder than they are by Waterfall. Crunch is still used as most targets have lower Defense, especially Meloetta. Ice Beam blasts Tangrowth and Flygon for OHKOs and reliably 2HKOes Virizion. Protect guarantees a Speed Boost to facilitate a late-game sweep. Shark is likely going to be A+ / S rank as it will likely define hyper offense. A physical set of Waterfall, Crunch, and Zen Headbutt can be used, but losing out on Mega Steelix and Tangrowth hurts and you need some passive damage on Aggron as well. Dark Pulse is usable over Crunch if defensive Calm Mind variants of Meloetta and Slowking are more worrysome for your team.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Dark Pulse / Foresight

Blastoise is a much-needed addition to the tier. With a great defensive typing and access to Rapid Spin, Blastoise gives the tier a reliable bulky spinner that can pressure most rock setters and spinblockers. Scald is Scald and Rapid Spin does what you need it to do. Toxic pressures Ghosts and passive damage is great for any team. Dark Pulse and Foresight help with Ghost-types. Dark Pulse allows Blastoise to remove Ghosts on its own while Foresight lets it spin immediately. Both can work, but it generally depends on how desperately you need hazards off the field for your team to function. (2+ mons weak to rocks generally means Foresight is best) The EVs max out physical bulk as most SR users hit from the physical side. Blastoise will likely be B+. It's great at what it does and will likely be one of the mainstays on balance / bulky offense teams, but stiff competition from Slowking and Alomomola will generally keep it out of any team not needing spin support. A more offensive set of Scald, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse / Foresight, and Rapid Spin might be feasible to keep Blastoise from being switch fodder for every Grass-type ever.

Absol @ Life Orb / Black Glasses
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe OR 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Adamant OR Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Tail / Fire Blast / Play Rough

Absol I feel is in a reel awkward position. I feel its best set will capitalize on the offensive pressure it causes with its combination of Dark-type STABs. Sucker Punch and Pursuit put most offensive Pokemon in a 50 / 50 situation while Knock Off gives Absol a consistent move to use against bulkier teams. The last moveslot deals with specific threats. Iron Tail drills Fairy-type switch-ins, such as Granbull and Aromatisse. Fire Blast ensures Mega Steelix takes a heavy amount of damage from switching into Absol, which could help a teammate sweep later. Play Rough OHKOes Scrafty and also deals with Hariyama. EVs max out Attack and Speed with the extra and nature depending on Absol's coverage move. Adamant with Iron Tail or Play Rough and Naughty with Fire Blast. Absol will likely sit around B+. A Pokemon that heavily pressures offensive mons with its combination of Dark-type STABs, but lacking much outside of that due to extreme frailty. A Choice Scarf set consisting of Knock Off, Iron Tail, Play Rough, and Superpower might be usable to more consistently revenge kill offensive threats. Absol's lack of bulk makes a Swords Dance set really difficult to pull off, but you might be able to catch an opponent switching out.

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Eartquake
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail / Fire Blast

Aerodactyl graces the tier with a staggering base 130 Speed and solid base 105 Attack. Add in some solid physical moves and Aerodactyl gives us something the tier has lacked for a long time; a fast, non-Scarf late-game cleaner that hits from the physical side. Stone Edge and Earthquake have great neutral coverage together and hit many Pokemon for heavy damage. Aerial Ace seems odd, but it makes sure that Virizion and Scrafty don't stand a chance. Aqua Tail does a ton to Rhyperior wile Fire Blast can catch Mega Steelix and Bronzong for heavier damage than EQ. It also ensures Aerodactyl can revenge kill Durant without prior damage if necessary. EVs simply maximize Attack and Speed. Use Naive if you choose Fire Blast. Unnerve is a cute ability to make sure you don't lose to Endure + Reversal Hitmonlee or some random resist berry. It's not like Aero is getting any mileage out of Rock Head or Pressure with this set anyway. Aerodactyl seems like a solid A rank mon. Great late-game cleaner that can double as a revenge killer of many unboosted threats, but it will need some help weakening defensive cores before it can reliably clean. And with its weakness to Ice, that won't help it a lot with multiple Ice Shard users in the tier. A Specially Defensive set might be feasible with something like Taunt, Roost, Rock Slide, and EQ as Aero's defensive typing is pretty underrated.

I don't see Sceptile, Ampharos, and Pinsir having a major impact in RU. Sceptile and Pinsir might have small niches tho. And I think everybody remembers what Medicham does after its stint in RU for a few months earlier this year. Should be a solid mon.

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Eartquake
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail / Fire Blast

Aerodactyl graces the tier with a staggering base 130 Speed and solid base 105 Attack. Add in some solid physical moves and Aerodactyl gives us something the tier has lacked for a long time; a fast, non-Scarf late-game cleaner that hits from the physical side. Stone Edge and Earthquake have great neutral coverage together and hit many Pokemon for heavy damage. Aerial Ace seems odd, but it makes sure that Virizion and Scrafty don't stand a chance. Aqua Tail does a ton to Rhyperior wile Fire Blast can catch Mega Steelix and Bronzong for heavier damage than EQ. It also ensures Aerodactyl can revenge kill Durant without prior damage if necessary. EVs simply maximize Attack and Speed. Use Naive if you choose Fire Blast. Unnerve is a cute ability to make sure you don't lose to Endure + Reversal Hitmonlee or some random resist berry. It's not like Aero is getting any mileage out of Rock Head or Pressure with this set anyway. Aerodactyl seems like a solid A rank mon. Great late-game cleaner that can double as a revenge killer of many unboosted threats, but it will need some help weakening defensive cores before it can reliably clean. And with its weakness to Ice, that won't help it a lot with multiple Ice Shard users in the tier. A Specially Defensive set might be feasible with something like Taunt, Roost, Rock Slide, and EQ as Aero's defensive typing is pretty underrated.
Another option for Aerodactyl is a lead with Stealth Rock and Taunt which I've been using and it's been pulling its weight mighty fine. Accelgor leads get a Spike up vs it, but everything else is slower so the fast Taunt is super useful. And idk how common Custap is in RU in general (haven't seen any yet at least) but Unnerve would also stop opposing suicide leads from activating it if they are carrying it.

And yeah agreeing that Sharpedo is incredible so far!

Thought i might as well post my two cents on this mon

Defensive Set
Unlike most other electric types not counting the rare Rotom-Fan and Lanturn, Ampharos has capabilities to run an defensive set and run lefties. Magneton has to run Eviolite to even live anything, while Eelektross has run an Assault Vest. And to be completely honest, it's defensive stats of 90/85/90 aren't really bad at all. Access to Heal Bell is really the deal-breaker with this mon. Paired with electric's good defensive typing (only weak to Ground), it can do pretty well. It also is a decent Fletch check!
Ampharos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Volt Switch/Focus Blast

Ampharos can also run Dual Screens, although I haven't checked out that set yet. Don't know if it's any good, just thought I should mention it.
Ampharos @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Offensive
However when it comes to Ampharos offensively, nothing really standout comes to mind. Magneton already has a slower Volt Switch that also has Analytic behind it, Jolteon has a really good speed stat, and Eelektross has no weaknesses and a much better movepool. Why use Ampharos then? Focus Blast. Focus Blast allows Amph to nail Mlix and other assorted Rock/Steel types in the tier, allowing Ampharos to run any other Hidden Power that doesn't necessarily have hit those mons. What sets would you use then? The main sets that should be used are Specs and an Offensive Tank w/ Heal Bell. Specs allows Ampharos to hit pretty hard, while also maintaining the critical slow Volt Switch.
Ampharos @ Choice Specs
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice/Signal Beam
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

Ampharos @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice/Signal Beam/Heal Bell
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast/Heal Bell

The Ev's on both of these sets are to outspeed base 65's such as Mola.
TL;DR
While it may be exciting to see Ampharos in RU, don't get too excited. It's outclassed by Magneton as a slow Volt Switch user, outclassed by Eelektross via coverage moves, and outclassed by Jolteon via speed. However, it does have the second-highest Spa Atk of any electric type in RU. Also, it has a niche by having access to the ever-so-great Focus Blast, which prevents Mlix from walling it completely, and lifting the reliance of Hidden Power off of it's shoulders. Ampharos also has a niche of having a decent defensive movepool that contains Heal Bell and Dual Screens. So the big question remains, should I use Ampharos? Well, the answer to that is a little complex. It isn't a mon that can be slapped onto any team. Support is key, and it's very helpful to have something like Alomomola and Aromatisse there to be able to Wish pass to it as Ampharos has no reliable recovery. But it isn't a bad mon, and shouldn't be overlooked by any means.

Last edited:
Another option for Aerodactyl is a lead with Stealth Rock and Taunt which I've been using and it's been pulling its weight mighty fine. Accelgor leads get a Spike up vs it, but everything else is slower so the fast Taunt is super useful. And idk how common Custap is in RU in general (haven't seen any yet at least) but Unnerve would also stop opposing suicide leads from activating it if they are carrying it.

And yeah agreeing that Sharpedo is incredible so far!
Archeops does the lead set better :P (apparently according to eonX)

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Couple pointers i guess
Ampharos is a solid b ranked mon(not good, not bad) from what i've seen, you guys exagerate things way too much everytime a change on the meta happens(either something is completely useless, or its the second coming of Jesus Christ)
Vivid Bit (Ampharos) @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt/heal bell
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This prevents anything from vs-blocking you while being a lot stronger than eelektross, having heal bell if you wish to run that and being much faster(doesn't really matter a lot outside of like, regular abomasnow i guess)
Is it better than eelektross? No.
But don't make super generalized posts abouts stuff when the meta has been out for a day lol

phantom

Banned deucer.
Cut it out with the Ampharos discussion, this is getting stupid.

There's no reason to use Ampharos over Eelektross aside from Heal Bell, and even then, the only reason Eelektross gets its use is because of the Ground immune, which makes it one of the few Pokemon in the tier that can switch into both of Mega Steelix's STABs; in fact, the Ground immune is the main reason why Eelektross has switch-in oppertunites in the first place. Ampharos having more special attack sounds nice at first, until you take into account that the reason why Eelektross can pose as a threat to begin with is because of its coverage, not so much its raw special attack stat. You're basically taking all the good reasons to use Eelektross (ground immune, high special bulk, great coverage) and throwing it all away in exchange for Heal Bell when you decide to use Ampharos. Like come on, I shouldn't even have to explain this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)