Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Playing Classic as Robin reminded me how ass 4's version of the mode is. In my first 3 rounds I got 0 rewards and almost no kills because CPUs stole them from me, and sometimes they would gang up on me 5 at a time. Free-For-All 8-Player Smash is neat for parties, but being forced to deal with it in Classic is a pain when you're trying to get drops. At least the 3DS version of the game does it well with the branching paths of differing difficulties.

Also I suck with Robin.

As a Ganon main, I am really liking the buffs that he got. He feels a lot more smoother than before. The new nair gives us more setups, and Dark Dive having more knockback is great as well. I'd have preferred Ganon getting more reward off of grab like Bowser, but this is a step in the right direction.

Inb4 nair changes in the next patch.

How do you guys feel about this game's balance in singles? There are a couple of outliers (Sheik on one spectrum and Zelda on the other). But overall, I think the game is decently balanced.

Although I hate the fact that Lucas' grab got buffed while poor Samus gets nothing of the sort. :(

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Whenever I remember Corrin/Bayonetta i'm like "fuck yeah i wanna play them so bad!" then I remember I gotta wait till february and I get disappointed T_T

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How do you guys feel about this game's balance in singles? There are a couple of outliers (Sheik on one spectrum and Zelda on the other). But overall, I think the game is decently balanced.

Although I hate the fact that Lucas' grab got buffed while poor Samus gets nothing of the sort. :(
I'm 100% convinced now that Sheik is NOT broken and she actually has a bad matchup or two, with Meta knight (fuck off Mag I can literally write essays on how the mu is for his favour) being the most prominent bad mu she's got. People overhype needles. Her fair is amazing but it's just another good tool, many other characters have amazing tools as well. She's a really well balanced top tier.

Zelda is also underrated imo, like sure she's bad and shit but like, she has actual scary fucking damaging combos, amazing kill power, and some good tools. Samus is just plain bad.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire

Smash 4 is balanced extremely well imo. Sheik may be the best character overall, but she's far from broken. Even characters in the bottom dregs of the tier list are pretty threatening in their own way until you get to the highest of high-level competitive play. Zelda has that amazing up B, Jigglypuff has unparalleled aerial mobility and Rest, Mewtwo hits like a truck and has a great projectile, and so on.

I'm 100% convinced now that Sheik is NOT broken and she actually has a bad matchup or two, with Meta knight (fuck off Mag I can literally write essays on how the mu is for his favour) being the most prominent bad mu she's got. People overhype needles. Her fair is amazing but it's just another good tool, many other characters have amazing tools as well. She's a really well balanced top tier.

Zelda is also underrated imo, like sure she's bad and shit but like, she has actual scary fucking damaging combos, amazing kill power, and some good tools. Samus is just plain bad.
I never mentioned that Sheik was broken, just above the majority of the cast, although I could have worded that better.

Zelda on the other hand is pretty bleh to be honest. To my knowledge the only combo starters she has are Nair and D-tilt.(I would say D-throw, but that's only if the opponent has bad DI.)
Her kill power is amazing, but other than her Up-B, her only options for killing are Fair, Bair, Uair, and Back Throw. In regards to the three aerials, they suffer from being ridiculously hard to land and incredibly unsafe. Uair is terrible due to its startup lag, while Fair and Bair are not autocancellable from a short hop, which makes them unsafe to throw out at all unless the player knows they are going to sweetspot. Her projectiles are some of the worst in the game. Both Phantom Slash and Din's Fire is easily telegraphed and avoided without effort.

I could be wrong about any of these, I am not a Zelda main. I'd love to see me proven wrong because I want to have a Smash game where Zelda is finally good and viable.

EDIT: Focus I do agree that Smash 4 is very well balanced. Arguably the best balanced Smash has ever been bar Project M.

aVocado

@ Everstone
I never mentioned that Sheik was broken, just above the majority of the cast, although I could have worded that better.

Zelda on the other hand is pretty bleh to be honest. To my knowledge the only combo starters she has are Nair and D-tilt.(I would say D-throw, but that's only if the opponent has bad DI.)
Her kill power is amazing, but other than her Up-B, her only options for killing are Fair, Bair, Uair, and Back Throw. In regards to the three aerials, they suffer from being ridiculously hard to land and incredibly unsafe. Uair is terrible due to its startup lag, while Fair and Bair are not autocancellable from a short hop, which makes them unsafe to throw out at all unless the player knows they are going to sweetspot. Her projectiles are some of the worst in the game. Both Phantom Slash and Din's Fire is easily telegraphed and avoided without effort.

I could be wrong about any of these, I am not a Zelda main. I'd love to see me proven wrong because I want to have a Smash game where Zelda is finally good and viable.

EDIT: Focus I do agree that Smash 4 is very well balanced. Arguably the best balanced Smash has ever been bar Project M.
Yeah I often play with a few ridiculously good zelda mains who are top players in their scenes, and trust me, Zelda has combos. Dthrow > nair > fair/bair is true on some occasions I think. She always has true combos on fastfallers at low percents from grabs, uthrow usmash (does a whopping 27%), dthrow any aerial depending on DI, dtilt dsmash, jab grab, utilt nair, etc. Her dair also lasts an eternity and is amazing at edgeguarding. A good Zelda will honestly shock you, look up footage of Fairess and maXy.

Yeah I often play with a few ridiculously good zelda mains who are top players in their scenes, and trust me, Zelda has combos. Dthrow > nair > fair/bair is true on some occasions I think. She always has true combos on fastfallers at low percents from grabs, uthrow usmash (does a whopping 27%), dthrow any aerial depending on DI, dtilt dsmash, jab grab, utilt nair, etc. Her dair also lasts an eternity and is amazing at edgeguarding. A good Zelda will honestly shock you, look up footage of Fairess and maXy.
I haven't played that many Zelda's to be honest. She's admittedly a rare character to play against in my area due to there being one guy that plays her(he's considering dropping her though :( ) If she can do all of those things then she sounds like a decent character in this game.

I'm 100% convinced now that Sheik is NOT broken and she actually has a bad matchup or two, with Meta knight (fuck off Mag I can literally write essays on how the mu is for his favour) being the most prominent bad mu she's got.
do tell then, the only explanation you've ever given me is "up air combos" which work on every character bar greninja

i can see it being even maybe but definitely not in mk's favor lol

since this is a thread about competitive smash i thought it would be funny to cross out the characters you think will never be a national threat (top 32 at genesis?) in a million years

bb08M4M.jpg

these are characters I think lack the general 1v1 options to place well if you were to use them in most of your matches, no matter how far you drive a character forward(for example, Hbox with Jiggypuff)

mewtwo and charizard may be a cut above the others depending on mewtwo's buffs and yr punish game against zard

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
since this is a thread about competitive smash i thought it would be funny to cross out the characters you think will never be a national threat (top 32 at genesis?) in a million years

these are characters I think lack the general 1v1 options to place well if you were to use them in most of your matches, no matter how far you drive a character forward(for example, Hbox with Jiggypuff)

mewtwo and charizard may be a cut above the others depending on mewtwo's buffs and yr punish game against zard
How is Olimar crossed out, he's a very good character if used in the right hands, as shown by players such as Dabuz.

arent ness and captain falcon already "national threats"? they both have solid tournament records etc, afaik.
this

also falco is better than fox while kirby, shulk, and mewtwo could show up more in tournaments thanks to buffs. still to early to decide

taking a good look at the roster, i think i see Palutena as the worst character in the game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)