CAP 3D Modeling Project

Hi Birkal, I'm fairly new to the project so I don't speak with the full authority of the group, but I believe that was the intention of DJTHED. We are just waiting on some model sheets from yilx, then I believe we were going to start working on it. (Would like someone senior to me to confirm but DJTHED isn't on until later tonight and everyone else shows up too randomly for me to know their schedule.)

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Sorry about the misunderstanding! But I was and still am aware the model is still in QC (hence why I haven't changed it to 'complete' in the spreadsheet), but I wanted to just get the rigging done as it wouldn't have taken that long. I should have been more clear about that, and if I had to do it all over again after the model gets QC'd, then I will. I only did it just in case it didn't need any or much more QC so that we'd be a step ahead. I won't jump the gun next time though, sorry!

I did include a .dae since .obj doesn't allow the exporting of armatures (though I would have included a .obj instead if I hadn't done any rigging), and for as far as I know, the .dae format is just as universal as .obj nowadays, so I didn't think that would be a problem.

Ugh, yeah I also forgot about the image size rule completely. I did decrease the image resolution of those gifs in my last post though, but I now understand that they aren't necessary. I never intended to have them replace a model file, but I hadn't uploaded any model files to publicly show until now was because I was still actively working on it. Again, sorry about that! :s

Anyway, I'll eagerly await for further QC posts about the model and improve the model accordingly until we all reach the agreement that it's done!
Phew I'm so glad my message got out to you!

Also, can someone tell me what's going on here?

(tagging DJTHED Golui KrazyCake)

Aww, DJTHED I was just starting modeling Kitsunoh too :P Oh well, There is plenty of other caps to try and model...
Qxc4eva ( is there anything else I can type that's easier to remember?) This is the closest thing I can give you to an explanation.

P.S. Yveltal hasn't even logged in in 10 days.... This normal for him?

Golui

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ǝuᴉɟ sᴉ ƃuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ
Phew I'm so glad my message got out to you!

Also, can someone tell me what's going on here?

-snip-
I decided to take on Fidgit as well. Modeling it as we speak, will have a first rough draft of the wireframe later today. We talked it over with DJTHED and Quan on PS! and decided that having two potential wireframes (None of them being official yet, of course! As per our rules ;) ) would be beneficial.

EDIT:

Alright, so here is my take on the Fidgit wireframe:

It is, of course, still a work in progress. I'm actually quite happy with how it is looking so far. There are, however, two things I would like to point out.
  • The polycount is crazy. I tried my best to make it as little as possible and I managed to get it down to 10,010 Verts / 19,984 Triangles. It is not ideal, but when you consider we have 8 legs, all of which need to have a fairly detailed hand, it all begins to make sense.
  • The way the limbs are attached to its body is rather well... ugly. I used the 'body slot' approach, because the forearms (?) are only 4 vertices, which are rotated 45° in relation to the body topology. You'll see what I mean once you see the model up close. If anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears (Well, more like eyes, I guess).
And here are the model files. Quick rundown of the .blend; First layer has the first attempt at the main body, the second layer has the leg, the third layer has the adjusted body, the fourth layer is the composite layer. Objects in there are linked to those from layers 2 and 3 (For quick editing). Layer 5 has the final model.

Once again, I'm not trying to override KrazyCake. I'm simply submitting my own wireframe, since we haven't seen anything from them yet. If it comes down to it, I suppose we will simply pick one of the two.

DJTHED, Could you please change it on the progress spreadsheet to "KrazyCake/Golui" to avoid further confusion?

Tagging Quanyails QxC4eva as well.

Last edited:
Golui did you try segmenting Fidgit's limbs? I thought the elbow joint was just a ball with sticks poking out of it, instead of having limbs organically connected like the way you have them.

Golui

Golui did you try segmenting Fidgit's limbs? I thought the elbow joint was just a ball with sticks poking out of it, instead of having limbs organically connected like the way you have them.
I thought that too, initially. But then I looked at some art:

According to this, they are all interlocking. So that's what I did. Of course, I can change that, but I'd rather not.

Last edited:

QxC4eva

DJTHED Golui Quanyails KrazyCake

Guys. It really sucks we don't have proper leadership right now, so I can't blame anyone for the drama that's been going on lately. KrazyCake was the first one who made a reservation for Fidgit, so if anyone else also wants to make a model for Fidgit, the first person you should notify is KrazyCake. There's no rule saying you have to do that but it really is common sense if you think about it, or rather "treat others the way you would want to be treated." How would you feel if someone comes along and shows a WIP of a model you reserved, without even telling you they're going to do it? I think upset is the correct word! I would certainly be upset if someone suddenly posts an animated 3d render of Tomohawk!

"Reserve" - the act of retaining or securing something for oneself. What's the point of us having reservations if anyone can just come along, cross out your name and take over the work for it? We might as well scrap the whole system entirely and turn this all into a model making contest. Seriously guys it's a collaborative project, please show us some respect for the other collaborators. Don't use the fact you're so good at modelling as a tool to trample over our newcomers.

DJTHED, Golui and Quanyails - I read through the PS chat log where you decided to put Golui's name on the spreadsheet (thanks Golui for sending that to me). I don't mind having more people work on more wireframes, but Golui's "reservation" is not valid until Krazy is told about it and is happy. What I see here is clearly a lack of communication, and guess what that leads to. Yeah, a world of misunderstanding and hurt feelings. I urge everyone from now on to post all our intents here before going ahead with them. It doesn't matter if there was an agreement elsewhere - be it the IRC, PS! room or private message - post it in this thread too so we all know what's going on.

As for what should happen with Fidgit, I think we ought to give KrazyCake another week or two to see what he can come up with, and decide what to do from there. How does that sound?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't be upset if someone else posted a model; rather, I'd be thankful that we've made progress! This is a community effort foremost, after all. Sure, we might have some wasted work, but that's really better than having a reservation leading to busy times and subsequent delays. Also, there's no rule that says that an alternative model inexorably replaces the original reservation. Nothing's stopping the original person who reserved the design to continue the work!

What I had discussed on PS! was working on a separate Fidgit model, so that we would have two potential models in parallel. Any implication of 'removing' a reservation was not intended.

Hi guys I was very hurt that I was removed because this was the first time I had ever contributed to this thread

and the thing that saddend me most is that no one asked me first

Golui

Hi guys I was very hurt that I was removed because this was the first time I had ever contributed to this thread

and the thing that saddend me most is that no one asked me first
Sorry! The removal was a misunderstanding. You are still assigned to the model, if you want, that is.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Whaaaat a mess. Sorry KrazyCake, Golui said that he'd be working on a Fidget model, though he didn't realize it had already been reserved until I told him about it. Though since in your latest post you had said you were waiting on a model sheet and Golui was just going to start without one, I just did that without thinking much of it. That's entirely on me and I apologize! D:

Hi Birkal, I'm fairly new to the project so I don't speak with the full authority of the group, but I believe that was the intention of DJTHED. We are just waiting on some model sheets from yilx, then I believe we were going to start working on it. (Would like someone senior to me to confirm but DJTHED isn't on until later tonight and everyone else shows up too randomly for me to know their schedule.)
Yes. DougJustDoug plans to start a separate thread for modeling CAP 21. And yes we are also waiting on model sheets.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm really not sure if this is what you guys are looking for, but I hope it's useful.

As a general guideline, please stick to the proportions of my original submission more, they are probably off in more ways than one in this... sorry :(

QxC4eva

I'm really not sure if this is what you guys are looking for, but I hope it's useful.

As a general guideline, please stick to the proportions of my original submission more, they are probably off in more ways than one in this... sorry :(
Thanks for that it certainly helps! I was wondering - how many skulls are there on the pot? And how many holes/eyes/whatever they are does the lid have? Is he a mermaid? :D

With both pics I wanted to spark people's imagination in uses for the big needle, which is the centerpeice of the design. I envisioned Voodoom using his own heart as kindof "a scabbard" for the needle, and it would pull the needle out to use it as a magic wand (shown above) or as a sword. I noticed a comment that noobiess should not model the full needle all the way through the interior of the body. However, I could imagine special move animations where it pulls the needle out, so perhaps the full needle model is a good thing? I don't know, so I'll leave it to those of you more familiar with how such things are done.
I think we need a different rig for a scene where he pulls out the pin. But don't worry it's possible for sure:) The problem is when it's stuck to him, the pin is part of the model but the moment it's pulled out and gets waved around, it's a prop. I never rigged in Blender before so I dunno how hard it's to transition a skinned object into a child-of constrained one (even in Maya it needs a few lines of code), so I think the easiest way is to just make a new rig for a scene like that. Another way is to always treat the pin as a prop, but it can end up sliding around and limit the torso movement. Up to you noobiess!

So about the inside part of the pin, I think just add extra edge loops but don't delete the faces. The edge loops allow the pin to (secretly) bend instead of sliding along the skin when you move his torso. If you get what I mean :P

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for that it certainly helps! I was wondering - how many skulls are there on the pot? And how many holes/eyes/whatever they are does the lid have? Is he a mermaid? :D
There are 6 skulls on the pot in total. He/she was originally based on an endolith like shuckle. The lid has one central hole for the base form.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yilx -- thank you so much for making some model sheets for your awesome design!

To everyone else, I am working behind the scenes now to get a dedicated thread made to kick off the CAP 21 modeling effort. But, we are trying to figure out exactly how we want to structure the process this time. We are aware of the urgency to get moving with it, so please bear with us as we sort it out. In the meantime, let's not use this thread for any further posting regarding CAP 21, and save it for the upcoming dedicated thread.

Hi noobiess I have an idea for Voodoom the needle going through its heart should be separate from the model so that in the animation you have the choice too make it hold the needle and use is like a sword/saber

And as for the progress on Fidgit i will have a model up soon:P

I know a lot of things are going on at once, so I hate to be a bother.... But since Yveltal is busy, can someone with more experience than me, like Quanyails cause I remember you offered, make me a model sheet for Collosoil, I really want to get started but I don't want to halfass a model together that no one can agree on. I'd prefer if we could all agree when I start to ensure that the only things that need fixing is my own mistakes... Again sorry if I've sounded pushy.

Yilx -- thank you so much for making some model sheets for your awesome design!

To everyone else, I am working behind the scenes now to get a dedicated thread made to kick off the CAP 21 modeling effort. But, we are trying to figure out exactly how we want to structure the process this time. We are aware of the urgency to get moving with it, so please bear with us as we sort it out. In the meantime, let's not use this thread for any further posting regarding CAP 21, and save it for the upcoming dedicated thread.
So where's the dedicated thread?
I decided to take on Fidgit as well. Modeling it as we speak, will have a first rough draft of the wireframe later today. We talked it over with DJTHED and Quan on PS! and decided that having two potential wireframes (None of them being official yet, of course! As per our rules ;) ) would be beneficial.

EDIT:

Alright, so here is my take on the Fidgit wireframe:

It is, of course, still a work in progress. I'm actually quite happy with how it is looking so far. There are, however, two things I would like to point out.
  • The polycount is crazy. I tried my best to make it as little as possible and I managed to get it down to 10,010 Verts / 19,984 Triangles. It is not ideal, but when you consider we have 8 legs, all of which need to have a fairly detailed hand, it all begins to make sense.
  • The way the limbs are attached to its body is rather well... ugly. I used the 'body slot' approach, because the forearms (?) are only 4 vertices, which are rotated 45° in relation to the body topology. You'll see what I mean once you see the model up close. If anyone has any better ideas, I'm all ears (Well, more like eyes, I guess).
And here are the model files. Quick rundown of the .blend; First layer has the first attempt at the main body, the second layer has the leg, the third layer has the adjusted body, the fourth layer is the composite layer. Objects in there are linked to those from layers 2 and 3 (For quick editing). Layer 5 has the final model.

Once again, I'm not trying to override KrazyCake. I'm simply submitting my own wireframe, since we haven't seen anything from them yet. If it comes down to it, I suppose we will simply pick one of the two.

DJTHED, Could you please change it on the progress spreadsheet to "KrazyCake/Golui" to avoid further confusion?

Tagging Quanyails QxC4eva as well.
Hmm... looks OK so far, but it looks too much like the limbs are organically connected. Remember, Fidgit is based off Tinker toys. If you could make it look like the arms are inserted into holes in the elbows or something, that'd be great.

Golui

So where's the dedicated thread?
Hmm... looks OK so far, but it looks too much like the limbs are organically connected. Remember, Fidgit is based off Tinker toys. If you could make it look like the arms are inserted into holes in the elbows or something, that'd be great.
Hm... The thing is, I thought that to at first too. After doing some digging though, I found art showing fidgit's limba be organically connected. I posted that a bit above in response to Yveltal. To all: Is this such a big deal? Do you want me to change it?

QxC4eva

DJTHED sorry for the hiccup, there was so much going on I didn't get time to reiview your Kitsunoh wireframe. Hope you're still interested working on it. :) Elegy had a few more drawings of Kitsunoh here:
Since they're part of the final submission I think it's safe to say they're accurate. The first picture is a proof that his mask has a narrow base - in the ref art his head probably is in a weird angle that's why it looks circular. I also agree with Golui to add a crease to the masks. Creases won't likely be noticeable in idle stance but if we ever need the model for something else it's going to look better with the creases. I asked before if our models should be minimalist or future proof, but didn't get a response so I'll just decide myself -- no minimalist!! If it's not a lot of work, why not just do it? It takes only a few minutes to add creases to the masks.

The "ears" seem to be continuous from the front of the mask, not like the other stripes coming off the back of it. What you have now means it'll have an outline separating his face and ears in the front view, which I think shouldn't be there. Maybe shift the ears more to the front?

The haze on his front paws are a bit thin compared to the ones at the back. Golui - as far as how it's set up, I think it's fine even if we want to do an effect like Gastly. If you look closely at Rapidash's flames, they have a shape to it. The texture "bulges out" near the middle and isn't totally flat. If we animate a texture on a flat quad, it's going to be really hard on the texture artist to get the bulging effect on the animation (what I imagine they have to do is project it off a 2.5D canvas or use a displacement map, so we might as well sculpt the actual mesh to make the job easier). The only hard part for using a proper mesh is it needs a cylindrical mapping to work - no problem! That can be done with a few clicks in Blender or Maya. Once the mapping works, we can animate the UV offeset and the texture can be something as simple as a fractal cloud, without any distortion or custom animation.

Now about the fur... it's better than how it was before, but still I think it looks more like an afterthought than anything. The tufts are way too small - I think they should be big enough to make a significant difference to the shape of his body. What you have is almost like a bald Kitsunoh with a few thorns sticking out. I suggest taking a look at 3D models of Flareon's tail, Entei's head, Furfrou, and Aromatisse to see how the fur is done. There might be more but I don't think there's any dog pokemon with fur on his body and legs, besides Furfrou :/

This one is optional, but it'll be nice if the legs are rounder (mostly the hind legs). Right now they're like cuboids with slightly curved edges and that looks very inorganic. You probably know it won't affect the sprite render so it's your call. :P

Proposed changes (?):

QxC4eva

Well, I said I'll try getting a Tomohawk animation for christmas but stuff happened and I didn't even start the rig yet :( The texturing is done so the eyes and camera is the only things I can animate (for now). Sorry!! But at least it's something I can show! :P Btw I actually did a proper render this time, hopefully that makes up for it. n_n;

http://i.imgur.com/ZZG1791.gifv

And here's a higher quality render:

Here's one in low res:

OKay I'll start the rigging ~soon~ :D

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
KrazyCake, how is progress on your Fidgit model? :/ I'd say (without authority) that Golui should go ahead unless you have a solid WIP.

Spoiled Rotten: Yveltal seems busy, and I'm in winter break, so I managed to get a Colossoil model sheet done. I did not model the dirt because, well, it's dirt and has no particular defined form. HeaL helped me on PS! getting the details right, although we seemed to differ on how round Colossoil's head is. The sprites interpret the front of the head as more round than rectangular, while Cartoons!'s drawings go the other direction. I think I'll leave that decision to the modeler (i.e., to not take the model sheet to a T).

Hello every one. Name is BushWhack and I am new to this site. My primary skill is Cycle Animations. I'm willing to help out however I can.

Thank you,
BushWhack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)