Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How do Pokemon that learn Metronome actually use the moves? So I checked the Bulbapedia page for Metronome and I learned for the first time that a shitload of Pokemon can actually learn metronome from tutor/hm. The pokemon that naturally learn Metronome are all, or at least used to be, normal types so I'm guessing they use their "normal" (lmao) powers of being able to use many elements. Question is, how is geodude, machop and many other pokemon able to use every move in existence?
You wiggle your fingers of course. Like this:

I think the idea behind it is that the Pokemon puts itself in a trance and lets is subconscious take over and do a random move, and the rest is mind over matter. Or magic, magic works too.

Pikachu31511 said:
I think the idea behind it is that the Pokemon puts itself in a trance and lets is subconscious take over and do a random move, and the rest is mind over matter. Or magic, magic works too.
Ah yes magic, the possible answer to every question in this thread. Yeah it's probably Mew's memory deep inside em

How do Pokemon that learn Metronome actually use the moves? So I checked the Bulbapedia page for Metronome and I learned for the first time that a shitload of Pokemon can actually learn metronome from tutor/hm. The pokemon that naturally learn Metronome are all, or at least used to be, normal types so I'm guessing they use their "normal" (lmao) powers of being able to use many elements. Question is, how is geodude, machop and many other pokemon able to use every move in existence?
The moving of fingers is some sort of spell which makes the user be possessed by a crazy demon and invokes a random move to be used by the user. One day, Arceus decided to reveal himself, and took control of a Togepi that used Metronome, forcing that Togepi to use Judgment and revealing Arceus' secret power (AFAIK this was how Arceus was discovered, don't lynch me if it's false)

While looking through the Serebii dex for possible VGC 2016 strategies, I came across an interesting detail: Mew can learn Nasty Plot, while Mewtwo can't. Now, my first impression was, of course, "WTF TrollFreak? You give it to the innocent, fun-loving mew but not its vicious clone?"

But then, I thought about it a bit. The move description for Nasty Plot is as follows: "The user stimulates its brain by thinking bad thoughts. It sharply raises SAtk." The key is that it stimulates the user's brain. Mew, being as friendly as it is, doesn't normally think bad thoughts, so when it uses Nasty Plot it actually does activate a part of its brain that's not normally used. Mewtwo, on the other hand, frequently thinks nasty things anyway, so that part of its brain is already stimulated (which could also, at least partially, explain Mewtwo's naturally much higher SAtk). It's not that Mewtwo can't use Nasty Plot; it's that using it would simply have no effect.

Incidentally, this also explains why Lucario, Pichu, Slowking, and Togekiss get it, but Gengar doesn't.

While looking through the Serebii dex for possible VGC 2016 strategies, I came across an interesting detail: Mew can learn Nasty Plot, while Mewtwo can't. Now, my first impression was, of course, "WTF TrollFreak? You give it to the innocent, fun-loving mew but not its vicious clone?"

But then, I thought about it a bit. The move description for Nasty Plot is as follows: "The user stimulates its brain by thinking bad thoughts. It sharply raises SAtk." The key is that it stimulates the user's brain. Mew, being as friendly as it is, doesn't normally think bad thoughts, so when it uses Nasty Plot it actually does activate a part of its brain that's not normally used. Mewtwo, on the other hand, frequently thinks nasty things anyway, so that part of its brain is already stimulated (which could also, at least partially, explain Mewtwo's naturally much higher SAtk). It's not that Mewtwo can't use Nasty Plot; it's that using it would simply have no effect.

Incidentally, this also explains why Lucario, Pichu, Slowking, and Togekiss get it, but Gengar doesn't.
True... but then in that case how do Houndoom, Shiftry, Darkrai and the like get it?

The problem I have with that explanation is that there are still many Pokemon that get the move like Thundurus and Spiritomb that are mischievous and actually think those kinds of things often or constantly.
Then explain Mewtwo and Gengar not being able to learn it. :P

Maybe for Pokemon like Thundurus, Spiritomb, Darkrai, etc., Nasty Plot just gets them pumped up for battle instead of unlocking a dormant part of their brain.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Maybe it's not that Mewtwo or Gengar won't have an effect of thinking bad thoughts but its not in their nature to.

Mewtwo was made to be a biological weapon, a creature which thirsts for battle and destruction. It's not doing it from malicious intent, it's just what it does naturally. Stimulate itself on bad thoughts? What's the point? It's focused on besting its opponent and the time its thinking of "bad things" it can be shredding it opponents apart (or keeping itself healthy/strong enough to battle).

Gengar is often shown to be a prankster by nature. It's too busy thinking of ways to mess with its opponents than thinking "bad things" to do to them.

Also let's take a look at Nasty Plot. The move's Japanese name is called "Sinister Plot" which explains they're not only thinking of bad thoughts but I get a sense of there being a bit more complexity to it. Looking through all the Pokemon that learn it they're Pokemon are are often presented with strong willingness and cunning rather then outright maliciousness or having bad behavior.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Maybe it's not that Mewtwo or Gengar won't have an effect of thinking bad thoughts but its not in their nature to.

Mewtwo was made to be a biological weapon, a creature which thirsts for battle and destruction. It's not doing it from malicious intent, it's just what it does naturally. Stimulate itself on bad thoughts? What's the point? It's focused on besting its opponent and the time its thinking of "bad things" it can be shredding it opponents apart (or keeping itself healthy/strong enough to battle).

Gengar is often shown to be a prankster by nature. It's too busy thinking of ways to mess with its opponents than thinking "bad things" to do to them.

Also let's take a look at Nasty Plot. The move's Japanese name is called "Sinister Plot" which explains they're not only thinking of bad thoughts but I get a sense of there being a bit more complexity to it. Looking through all the Pokemon that learn it they're Pokemon are are often presented with strong willingness and cunning rather then outright maliciousness or having bad behavior.
"Sinister plot" is considered to be clever, strategy based, useful and often important throughout history.
I portray it as thinking of a plan, that's why the SA stat will rise.

It still kind of bothers me that Nasty Plot is so much rarer than Swords Dance, from a practical point of view (admittedly, the things that learn Swords Dance naturally mostly make sense, but damn near everything learns it by TM. It's up there with Earthquake in "the things that learn this naturally make sense, but everything else gets it too because *shrugs*". Not as bad as Toxic, though).

Or Mewtwo is constantly already using Nasty Plot in battle, hence the higher special attack. And now I get the feeling that Nasty Plot might also work by honing the part of the brain that is better on tactical thinking, finding weak spots with which to bash, or finding an opportune time in which to strike, in which the opponent's defenses drop for just that split second, allowing for greater damage.
That, or it is simply a lesser Force Rage without the negative backlash effects.

Well, that would be pretty scary. If I saw that happen, I'd probably leave too. Although then I'd feel bad for the poor sap that gets sent out next...

Except that Pokémon like Muk who don't mind stenches probably wouldn't mind it at all. In fact, it might even like it.

Last edited:
It still kind of bothers me that Nasty Plot is so much rarer than Swords Dance, from a practical point of view (admittedly, the things that learn Swords Dance naturally mostly make sense, but damn near everything learns it by TM. It's up there with Earthquake in "the things that learn this naturally make sense, but everything else gets it too because *shrugs*". Not as bad as Toxic, though).
Toxic is relatively easy to explain, actually: every Pokemon is somewhat poisonous.

I said it would be easy to explain, not that you would like the explanation.

Except that Pokémon like Muk who don't mind stenches probably wouldn't mind it at all. In fact, it might even like it.
True. Maybe they're just respectful and realize they're supposed leave, and do so.

Just that you're bashing each others' skulls in doesn't mean you can't be a gentleman about it, man.

It got it due to winning a popularity poll in Japan on "who is the best legendary" and gave it that special move as an event. I'm going to ignore "movepool oddity" for this due to two things: One, it's an event move. Two, rule of fucking awesome
In-universe, it's easy to explain as well: A Victini taught it to them through some sort of off-screen training sequence before you got it.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I was looking at Bulbapedia's Iron Tail entry and found something interesting. Now we all make fun of Primeape learning it despite not having a tail... but its far from the exception.

First off, Aron can learn it from level up.

Second, from breeding both Nidorans, Rhyhorn, & Goomy get it (and this is not mentioning the Pokemon who have short tails). Though to be fair those Pokemon do evolve to ones with long tails so in order for their later evolutions to have it they need to learn it (which is why Aron still stands out as Lairon and Aggron also learn it from level-up so it doesn't need to).

Third and finally, here are Pokemon who can get it from Move Tutor (many who also got it from TM when it was one): Blissey, Pupitar, & Chimchar (that flame is not a tail, it's just a flame coming from its behind). And once again, a ton of Pokemon with small to almost non-existent tails also get it (and some whom I'll argue don't really have a tail just back decorations like Altaria and Sneasel family).

I was looking at Bulbapedia's Iron Tail entry and found something interesting. Now we all make fun of Primeape learning it despite not having a tail... but its far from the exception.

First off, Aron can learn it from level up.

Second, from breeding both Nidorans, Rhyhorn, & Goomy get it (and this is not mentioning the Pokemon who have short tails). Though to be fair those Pokemon do evolve to ones with long tails so in order for their later evolutions to have it they need to learn it (which is why Aron still stands out as Lairon and Aggron also learn it from level-up so it doesn't need to).

Third and finally, here are Pokemon who can get it from Move Tutor (many who also got it from TM when it was one): Blissey, Pupitar, & Chimchar (that flame is not a tail, it's just a flame coming from its behind). And once again, a ton of Pokemon with small to almost non-existent tails also get it (and some whom I'll argue don't really have a tail just back decorations like Altaria and Sneasel family).
noun
  1. 1.
    the hindmost part of an animal, especially when prolonged beyond the rest of the body, such as the flexible extension of the backbone in a vertebrate, the feathers at the hind end of a bird, or a terminal appendage in an insect.
Especially when prolonged beyond the body, but not necessarily so. A tail could just be the hindmost part of the body.

My idea for Nasty Plot was the Pokemon kind of switches gears from restrained/with-rules fighting to more pragmatic and unconcerned fighting. Your Dog might rough-house (which is the best I can equate Battles to because "cock-fighting" analogies are a different can of worms), but if it becomes convinced to it can cause really brutal injuries to an enemy. Nasty Plot leads the Pokemon to start fighting "dirty" in a sense (similar to how Dark Types are thought of as underhanded techniques), going for weaker points to hit the opponent harder or things they know would cause such: imagine fighting Kangaskhan, they aim for the baby knowing the mother will cover it at her own safety's expense.

This would explain partially why the move is so rare and not a TM. Swords Dance involves the Pokemon assuming a stance, it's something physical, whereas Nasty Plot requires them to let go of certain mental inhibitions to fight unrestrained. It also explains why some Pokemon only learn it through Egg Moves; Babies are impressionable, so they learn to fight that way before maturing and realizing it's not "appropriate" fighting.

To explain the egregious examples, Gengar is naturally a prankster, but would never outright try to (severely) harm its opponent in a serious manner rather than a slapstick one. Mewtwo, depending on ho feral vs salient it is, is either always in that mode (and thus gains nothing from the move) or is too honorable to fight that way (perhaps in part because it knows it's stronger than most opponents as is). The explanation for feral Mewtwo might also explain particularly vicious Pokemon like Hydreigon, which is strong but almost fights with mindless ferocity.

Toxic is relatively easy to explain, actually: every Pokemon is somewhat poisonous.

I said it would be easy to explain, not that you would like the explanation.
Maybe it's not that all pokemon are poisonous but all pokemon are able to poison other creatures..

Humans can "poison" each other without external aids.. fecal matter/ vomit near orifices or wounds would make you really sick... maybe when a pokemon uses toxic that isn't a poison type it flicks fecal matter at the opponent...

I just took pokemon to a place didn't I..

How come Malamar can learn flamethrower, i know it is cool because it can take down bug types but seriously...
Why can a bunch of pokemon like snorlax learn the move self destruct, how would that work? I mean, i know how it works on material pokemon like electrode but think about it...
Also, why is lick a ghost type move?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
How come Malamar can learn flamethrower, i know it is cool because it can take down bug types but seriously...
Why can a bunch of pokemon like snorlax learn the move self destruct, how would that work? I mean, i know how it works on material pokemon like electrode but think about it...
Also, why is lick a ghost type move?
1. Maybe since it can illuminate itself combines with spraying ink it can combine the two and light up the ink making a Flamethrower.
2. Well for Snorlax maybe it mixes certain chemicals in it body which results it releasing all its energy in an explosion. As for other Pokemon, you're gonna have to list which ones you think is odd as they're quite a bit.
3. It was sort of the Signature Move of the Gastly family in Gen I (though not completely as for some reason Jynx also learned it... and before you ask Lickitung didn't get it till Gen II). I guess also its maybe a creepy thing to do yet not really malicious thus Ghost-type instead of Dark.

1. Maybe since it can illuminate itself combines with spraying ink it can combine the two and light up the ink making a Flamethrower.
2. Well for Snorlax maybe it mixes certain chemicals in it body which results it releasing all its energy in an explosion. As for other Pokemon, you're gonna have to list which ones you think is odd as they're quite a bit.
3. It was sort of the Signature Move of the Gastly family in Gen I (though not completely as for some reason Jynx also learned it... and before you ask Lickitung didn't get it till Gen II). I guess also its maybe a creepy thing to do yet not really malicious thus Ghost-type instead of Dark.
1. Good thinking.
2. For some reason, pokemon like munchlax, sudowoodo, ghastly, golem etc can learn them. I know that electrode is suppossed to represent a bomb but why are there lots of spherical/circular pokemon e.g. golem and weezling which can learn selfdestruct.
3. Why did lickitung not recieve lick until gen 2? Licking is practically what it does, if you haven't seen the anime....

Well for Snorlax maybe it mixes certain chemicals in it body which results it releasing all its energy in an explosion.
Quite possible. If you remember the video of the exploding sperm whale in the Faroe Islands, the build-up of gases within its body caused it to simply explode. Perhaps the staggering amount of food Snorlax eats allows it to catalyse these chemical reactions, allowing it to blow up of its own volition.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Think it's odd Lickitung couldn't learn Lick until Gen II? How about an on-going strange absence of a move a Pokemon should know.

Sneasel, in addition to being based on a weasel, is based on a yokai called a Kamaitachi. A Kamaitachi is a sickle carrying creature, usually depicted as weasel-like, who travels in a gust of wind which blows past people as it cuts them with painless slashes. Now for the most part it receives plenty of cutting/slashing move. BUT if you were to look up "Kamaitachi" on Bulbapedia you'll be directly taken to the Razor Wind entry. This is because Razor Wind's Japanese name is "Kamaitachi" and is too based on the concept of the yokai.

Sneasel can't learn Razor Wind.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not a movepool oddity, but no where else this really fits:

Shedinja, 1 HP. Alright, so what's the point of it having 45 Defense and 30 Special Defense? Even if it had more HP that still wouldn't really protect it from being OHKO. And is Wonder Room really that much of a concern (and it would still cripple it as it'll now have a pathetic Attack stat)? I say make its defensive stats also 1 and distribute that extra 73 someplace it can use it like Speed or more Attack. Maybe something to consider for Mega Shedinja.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not a movepool oddity, but no where else this really fits:

Shedinja, 1 HP. Alright, so what's the point of it having 45 Defense and 30 Special Defense? Even if it had more HP that still wouldn't really protect it from being OHKO. And is Wonder Room really that much of a concern (and it would still cripple it as it'll now have a pathetic Attack stat)? I say make its defensive stats also 1 and distribute that extra 73 someplace it can use it like Speed or more Attack. Maybe something to consider for Mega Shedinja.
The defenses actually matter for Substitutes it receives from Baton Pass.

Still worthless 99.99% of the time.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Shedinja's defenses also come in use with screwing over Pokemon with Download, which I guess is handy if you really fear Porygon-Z.....

Also, Scarf Final Gambit Shedinja master race.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The defenses actually matter for Substitutes it receives from Baton Pass.

Still worthless 99.99% of the time.
I guess, though it's not doing the Substitute any favors already who'll probably be knocked out with one hit.

Shedinja's defenses also come in use with screwing over Pokemon with Download, which I guess is handy if you really fear Porygon-Z.....

Also, Scarf Final Gambit Shedinja master race.
Download will just increase Special Attack if both defense stats are equal which for Shedinja it would do anyway unless you specifically worked on making Shedinja's Defense higher (and if so you missed the point of Shedinja).

Life Orb Shedinjia with Final Gambit, Endure, Rest, & Bide too OP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)