For the Non-Americans out there

I never said stereotypes are completely wrong, just that they aren't accurate, and that's often hard to see the truth behind them. I am sure that some republicans are as Donald Trump-like as we imagine them, but the majority of them are ordinar-ish people. Or at least that's what I think. And hope.
What I'm saying is that enough (just enough, not a lot or even a few) are accurate for people to assume that all follow the stereotypes. The overwhelming majority of perfectly reasonable and completely standard, but enough enforcement and enough examples will make it seem that a trend is truth.

For some people here in Italy America is great and all, a land of money and opportunities and all that but for a bigger part of the population in Italy and Europe probably it is seen as a declining western power with fat violent citizens that take too much pride in their land. The fact that we get a shitload of US TV shows for free also reinforces the idea that Americans are superficial (and sometimes violent) fatasses. My personal view is that I simply like Europe more but more for a history/landscape kind of view since I don't really believe in the people being much different from any other western country (idk I just have the idea that European are more educated in some way might be TV shows fault).

Obama is viewed neutrally/positively here but as far as I am concerned that has been the case for any other US president and most foreign politicians including Putin.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
basically what galbia said. USA for some us, Argentinians, is the land of opportunities and cheap stuff. we mostly travel there to buy things that we can't a) get because of importation, or b) afford because of, guess what... importation. but to the more patriotic people or more poor social classes (which means the majority of people), it's the land of "people that think they're always right and that they're the land of freedom, when in reality, they just start meaningless wars for $$$".

they especially think that american culture is ingraining into our culture every day more. you'll see signs with english words rather than spanish, or just little things like that that make people go nuts.

I personally think it's economically more stable than any country in SA, but it should be treated as any other country in the world. I'm big into cultures, but we should all be treated the same. every country has its ups and downs after all.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Woah, slow the fuck down Mr. Vegemite. This is just objectively untrue. Philadelphia Cheesesteaks, Buffalo Wings, Eggs Benedict, Nachos... not to mention the melting pot of foods invented by immigrants like General's Chicken, the New York Pizza, etc. You could live in any city in this massive country and have access to food from all over the world too.

How do you think we got so fat?
i mean just so you know i do agree with what you're saying (and i see what you're implying), but it bothered me when you said nachos were from the US when really nachos are from mexico

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
i mean just so you know i do agree with what you're saying (and i see what you're implying), but it bothered me when you said nachos were from the US when really nachos are from mexico
My mistake, I think I read something inaccurate about that earlier this year.
Edit: Yes, I read the story with all the right details except that it neglected to say they were made just outside of Eagle Pass, as opposed to in Eagle Pass. The difference being kind of important.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Australian here. There are typically 3 types of American that I've had experience with (direct or indirect)

The government: the general consensus here is that your government thinks the sun shines out of it's ass because you're big and powerful. There are exceptions to this (Obama is pretty well liked here), but the general consensus is that your government has a "america is the best at everything in the world, everyone needs to adapt to be like us" attitude.

People that I've met (the majority): Most of the american people I've met in real life are dead set legends. Most of them are very open minded and easy going, although this could have something to do with them being travelers. I'm a huge fan of american sports, so we instantly bond on that topic alone. They also love to party (again, probably more so because they're in a different country) and are always down for a good time.

People on the internet: This group is a mixed bag. Some of the americans I've encountered, and most of the Americans on these forums, are pretty cool. On some other forums however (and occasionally, in real life) there are Americans that are stubborn, backwards (no, just because it's the second amendment doesn't make the right to bear arms a good law. It's fucking stupid.) and think that the whole world should be Americanized. Again, this is a vocal minority, but it's this minority that gives your country a bad name around the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)