CAP 21 CaP 21 - Part 13 - Flavour Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the current tide, I think I'll jump onto the winning horse that is Liquid Ooze. It's among the most useless yet appropriate ability on the list, and probably deserves to win.

I could probably argue that Overcoat should be allowed, but meh, it looks like a waste of time by now. Liquid Ooze is the better option.

mmm no mention for Rattled? Crucibelle is the shy type and all, I could picture is hiding in her pot, afraid and shy.

Cute in a way imo
The problem is that Rattled is too good an ability, and the goal here is to pick an useless ability that fits with Cruci's characteristics, an ability no competitive player would ever pick over Regenerator or Mold Breaker. Rattled is far too good an ability for this purpose.

Weak Armor, Gooey, and Liquid Ooze are the abilites that I would mostly support.

Weak Armor: Crucibelle is pokemon that can be easily taken down without setting up. If it can survive a switch in physical attack then Weak Armor would be the perfect ability to help Cruci set up its speed easier.
Gooey: Crucibelle is already as fast as it needs to be so slowing a foe would not make the most sense. However Gooey does make sense when you think about Crucibelle and its form. Crucibelle is a pokemon made entirely out of poison so would it not make sense if it was a gooey in general.

Liquid Ooze: Again Crucibelle is made mainly out of poison. When we consider Tentacruel has Liquid Ooze, so it would make sense that Crucibelle has it right?
Good ideas, but 1 problem (maybe more)
Gooey is Goodra's signature ability
if this has been said already, sorry

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Good ideas, but 1 problem (maybe more)
Gooey is Goodra's signature ability
if this has been said already, sorry
We don't give a shit about signature abilities/moves unless they are a legendaries' signature ability/move. Although I'm still against Gooey because it is too good of an ability to have on us.

Poison Point, Insomnia, Forewarn/Anticipation are my opinions. Poison Point already has had its reasoning said, Insomnia is on a lot of Pokemon and Crucibelle looks like it doesn't need to sleep too much due to immobility, and Forewarn/Anticipation to go with a cautious nature.

Some abilities that I am really liking are Liquid Ooze and Sticky Hold, because these seem to emphasize the "sludge" part of Crucibelle. Some other options that I think might be interesting are Hustle because it might be interesting as it is a fast attacker, making sense that it is hurrying around. I feel Hustle wouldn't be a problem competitively because Crucibelle has such low-accuracy STABs in the first place. Finally, Stench might be cool since it is has kind of "toxic-sludge" look like Muk, who also has the ability. I don't know if Stench is still noncompetative.

Guys, Sticky Hold and Liquid Ooze are our best choices here, for several reasons.

Sticky Hold:
1) From purely a flavor-perspective, it makes sense. Crucibelle is a gooey, sticky Pokemon, and I could see it being possessive with it's belongings, wanting to keep them secure in its pot.

2) It has absolutely ZERO chance to outclass it's primary abilities. For one, Crucibelle is most likely going to be used with it's megastone attached, making Sticky Hold absolutely useless. For two, no one in their right mind would elect to use Sticky Hold on non-mega Crucibelle over Regenerator; the pay off would be minimal, with the only positive being able to hold onto leftovers, which is still heavily outclassed by Regenerator.

Liquid Ooze:
1) Again, as far as flavor is concerned, this one is really self-explanatory. It's a Pokemon made of ooze. No-brainer.

2) Also again, this has zero chance to outperform either of it's primary abilities. Only Grass-type Pokemon will be using Giga Drain or Leech Seed against this thing, but that's a moot point, since our Poison-type STAB attacks will scare most of them off anyways. And for those that aren't scared (i.e. MegaVenusaur) having Regenerator or Mold Breaker still makes more sense.

Either way, neither of these abilities is useful enough to lend themselves to even a niche use. They fit flavor perfectly, and will never be used competitively over Crucibelle's other abilities.

I approve of Liquid Ooze, because reasons. Alternatively, I would like to suggest Clear Body, also because reasons - namely, prevention of stat reduction as well as being made of slime, though I'm not sure how Crucibelle can take advantage of that, nor am I sure of how good it would be compared to her competitive abilities.

Or, given the pot, we could go with Battle Armor or even Weak Armor, because I'm pretty sure that'd be quite a nasty spill if the pot got shattered...

Clear Body
I really doubt this. Ignoring Intimidate is actually quite a big deal as Landorus loves to switch in on it otherwise, and being able to ignore it would be a great advantage for Crucibelle. I imagine a lot of Mega Crucibelle sets would actually run this for that reason.

I really doubt this. Ignoring Intimidate is actually quite a big deal as Landorus loves to switch in on it otherwise, and being able to ignore it would be a great advantage for Crucibelle. I imagine a lot of Mega Crucibelle sets would actually run this for that reason.
I agree. Could work, but it would be very useful to avoid such things. But then again, i'd be running liquid ooze to help counter Ferrothorn and other draining move users.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
But then again, i'd be running liquid ooze to help counter Ferrothorn and other draining move users.
Magic Guard from the Mega stops Leech Seed anyway. Liquid Ooze's competitive utility is far, far less than Clear Body's, as it basically will only hurt Drain Punch and Giga Drain users a bit, and a few of the users of these moves don't particularly want to stay in on Crucibelle anyway.

I would like Liquid Ooze because it is an interesting ability and if you think about it, most of Crucibelle's material is liquid ooze. Also, Poison Point may be a good idea because even looking at the pokemon would make me feel poisoned. The spikes on the pot which develop in the mega also justify this.

Mod Edit: Removed portion that ignored how CAP does flavor abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay, so I am closing this up here, expect a poll shortly.

I have gone with the following abilities:

Shell/Battle Armour (I'll ask in the poll if it gets enough votes which people prefer)
Poison Touch
Anticipation
Forewarn
Liquid Ooze
Sticky Hold
No Flavour Ability

If the ability you championed is not here and you don't know why, please let me know. I blocked Cute Charm because it's a hax ability, and my previous post explained why some abilities were simply too good. The latter is why a few other abilities were blocked. Clear Body/Stench/Rattled are also too good because they stop Intimidate, cause a Flinch and affect speed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)