Unpopular opinions

Luxray: This one is mostly due to the fact that I had to let my friend down to reveal the truth about this Pokemon. When he got into competitive play, I had to sit him down (figuratively, we were talking via Skype) and tell him that Luxray was absolute ass in competitive play. He was pretty disappointed. I essentially don't like it how people like Pokemon before even looking at how they perform in battle and just expect them to be good be used they have a BA design.
Because you can't possibly like something for reasons beyond competitive merit, much less on design alone.

I sometimes do HG/SS runs with Chikorita, never evolving her at all, just because I find her cute. Granted, her team commitment consists of 1. Catch Geodude, who does most of the battle-work for half the game, 2. Cut things, 3. Flash things, 4. Use Aromatherapy when I want to save on items.

Because you can't possibly like something for reasons beyond competitive merit, much less on design alone.

I sometimes do HG/SS runs with Chikorita, never evolving her at all, just because I find her cute. Granted, her team commitment consists of 1. Catch Geodude, who does most of the battle-work for half the game, 2. Cut things, 3. Flash things, 4. Use Aromatherapy when I want to save on items.
Chikorita can actually be a half-decent wall. Unfortunately, she has the misfortune of being available in a region that does not seem to like Grass types at all.

I never, EVER said that he couldn't-or shouldn't-like Luxray. He just thought it was a really good pokemon. I Personally like some pokemon that aren't viable in OU at all, such as Cradily and Weezing. I also never said that you couldn't like a pokemon based on design. That's why I like Hydreigon. All I was pointing out was that a good design =/= Competitive merit. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why was it normal type though?
Some fans speculate that Azurill was coded using a duplicate of Cleffa's code. The job was done shoddily, or perhaps the wrong snippet of code was submitted for final publication, resulting in Azurill sharing Cleffa's typing, catch rate and gender ratio. These three characteristics make Azurill differ greatly from its evolved brethren. Azurill and Cleffa belong in the same egg group and evolve using the same method, so it might have felt natural for the designers to start with Cleffa when creating Azurill.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
I hated HGSS and I know a lot of people who love it. Its just too slow and weak for me, you didn't get any cool mons early game besides like mini Ampharos. Gen 3 master race. Also i loved DPP but apparently people think its shit.
Also I hated volturn flip because I never understood, but its actually pretty fun when you learn how to play.

While I love HG/SS, I totally get why some people think it doesn't live up to the hype. I like it for being fairly challenging (by pokemon standards), fairly lengthy, and having some freedom of choice (the Ecruteak T-split). Also all the little fun distractions (walking with a pokemon, pokathalon, Voltorb flip)

But others will be quick to point out that said challenge comes from a limited pokemon setlist and lack of easy grinding spots, the length only feels really deep in the first half, and some hate the "complete gyms in the order you want" due to walking into situations they aren't prepared for. And some just won't care for the extras when the core game is a bit flawed (stop calling me Joey!). Others still will shout "get good scrub" because despite the challenge there are a few pokemon that break the game in half (Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Scyther, and maybe Golem. And that one you are about to recommend, yes that one. The one you are about to say) making it seem easy.

Honestly, no pokemon game is perfect but each has some perfect aspect that I wish could all gather into this one perfect dream game we all have in our heads.

[GREATLY oversimplified for a point]
FR/LG: Lots of gym order freedom! But it's a little bland nowadays.
ORAS: Compelling environments! Too much water. :P
D/P/Pt: Thrilling story and challenge! So many HM's.
B/W: Story heavy, great design! Preachy.
B2/W2: Best post game! So-so in-game.
X/Y: So much variety and customization! Too easy.

I just find HG/SS as the closest to this imaginary (and probably impossible) perfect pokemon game in my head. Or at least has the best pro to con ratio for me.

Last edited:
Pokemon that are popular (at least among my friends) that I don't really like.

Pikachu: Okay, I'm sure a lot of people can back me up when I say I don't like pikachu. Still, there are a lot of people that love pikachu and I am determined to stomp out their hopes and dreams (okay, that's a bit much, but I really hate pikachu) I mean, I just thought that some of my best bros would be with me on this one, but they all love pikachu. Oh, well. This probably stems from my hatred of the Pokemon anime.

Lucario: Like pikachu, this one has a root in my friends. When I was a kid, they were talking about how strong Lucario was all the time and how it was a legendary. Now, I was stupid kid back then, but I wasn't that stupid. I kept trying to tell them that Lucario wasn't a legendary, but they wouldn't listen. So yeah. I hate Lucario.

Luxray: This one is mostly due to the fact that I had to let my friend down to reveal the truth about this Pokemon. When he got into competitive play, I had to sit him down (figuratively, we were talking via Skype) and tell him that Luxray was absolute ass in competitive play. He was pretty disappointed. I essentially don't like it how people like Pokemon before even looking at how they perform in battle and just expect them to be good be used they have a BA design.

Outta time, gotta go.
His fault for even evolving it when shinx is the best.

Ash's pikachu should evolve into a Raichu. Raichu should then be given a mega evolution and Ash should work with this. However, if Ash continues with a pikachu, then he should remain the same strength and this should never be reset.

Reactions: JES
Ash's pikachu should evolve into a Raichu. Raichu should then be given a mega evolution and Ash should work with this. However, if Ash continues with a pikachu, then he should remain the same strength and this should never be reset.
Not entirely sure how unpopular this is... it's less people not wanting it and more or less just realizing "yeah this is never gonna happen". I'll try and save you a Codraroll essay on this by summing it up as Pikachu is the series mascot, Raichu just is nowhere near as recognizable.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'll try and save you a Codraroll essay on this by summing it up as...
Nice try, but I'm not repelled that easily.

Pikachu being the mascot and easily recognisable face of Pokémon is one important aspect, true, but also keep in mind that the primary purpose of the Anime is not to recount the thrilling adventures of a heroic and competent main character. The Anime is mostly there to advertise the games. It shows off the world of Pokémon, presents its concepts, creatures and moves. Occasionally it also displays some legit useful tips and tricks, but mostly it's there to guide kids into the games.

For that to happen without too much spoon-feeding, the characters on the show have to learn stuff as they travel, similar to how a kid learns the basics of Pokémon as he watches the show. Every new Pokémon has to be presented as something new and wondrous, along the lines of "Oh, look, a Squibble!", because the Pokémon is new to the viewer. Whenever Ash and his friends encounter something new, their reactions have to match those of the viewer. What is that thing? What does it do? What moves does it know? How strong is it, in what situation? Ash and his friends find out over the course of the episode, and the viewer learns something new. It doesn't matter if Ash has seen the Pokémon before, or even had it in his possession for hundreds of episodes. It's new to the viewers, ergo it has to be new to Ash.

That all means that Ash must never be allowed to build any experience. The Anime "resets" periodically, so that new viewers can tune in and learn everything from the beginning. And so must Ash, because if he reacts with "eh, seen it before" they can't dump exposition. If Pikachu swept the floor with everything it encountered, new Pokémon would feel weak and useless by comparison.

There's also the aspect of selling merchandise. Cute and beady-eyed first-stage Pokémon can easily be turned into adorable plushies, hence why the main characters always acquire a few of them and never evolve them. Evolution functionally removes a character from the show and replaces it with a new one, meaning that once that cute, squeaky, beady-eyed thing evolves, it'll never come back. Instead you've got something that's two metres tall, full of spikes and speaks in a deep bass growl. It might sell merchandise too, of course, but those beady-eyed plushies are suddenly not relevant any more.

So yeah, if you want any sort of story out of the Anime, well, you're not in its target demographic. It's mostly a marketing tool, there to sell the rest of the franchise and explain its contents. Something that everybody can tune in to and watch without having played the games, but which crosses over just enough of the games that viewers will eventually want their own Pokémon experience. The Anime, despite being about a trainer who beats all eight Gyms and eventually participates in the Pokémon League, really only covers the first third or so of a Pokémon game. It only gives occasional glimpses of strong, fully-evolved Pokémon, hinting of their awesome power but never fully featuring them. Not only does this give the perception that they're really strong and awesome by setting the overall power level of the Anime to NFE levels, it also teases viewers that they can play with the strongest Pokémon only by buying the games.

TL;DR - the Anime is a commercial/tutorial aimed at little kids. Once you've played the game even halfway through, you're not in its intended audience any more.

Unpopular opinion: I believe that either they should stick 100% with the current anime formula or 100% reboot it from scratch. I don't think the current anime could ever be "saved" and I think any attempts at doing so will just make it worse ESPECIALLY for those that remember the old one. If they want to change something (get rid of Ash, have a Pikachu that actually evolves, change the general group dynamics), they should just scrap the old anime and start with a new one in a new PokeUniverse.

I also do like how Ash really isn't given a break and never won a real championship (aside from Orange Islands but that was only really one opponent). It provides him with the motivation to start anew and continue onwards in a new region. While I don't like him depositing all his Pokemon, I do like it as a method of introducing new Pokemon and making them big players in the anime by having an incentive for Ash to catch it too (Ash rarely catches Pokemon when he has a full team)

If they DO plan on rebooting it though or at least ending the series, I think the current series should end with Ash finally winning a damn championship. Or, even better, if they have an off-year from the main-series games, have Ash return and win the Indigo League. That's how I feel the series should end. It's sort of the sign that he's actually matured enough to be a Pokemon Master. Any sort of immediate cutting of the series before Ash's first championship win really kind of sours the whole arching goals of Ash and makes at least the constant touting of his goals rather pointless if they do plan on just ending it with...nothing.

EDIT: One more thing...that's completely different. I missed most of Sinnoh so I don't know if it happened there, but I like how in Kalos, outside of Gen VI Pokemon, it's Serena doing most of the PokeDex scanning since she's a complete newbie unlike Ash who met most of them and might only need a refresher if it's been too long.

Not entirely sure how unpopular this is... it's less people not wanting it and more or less just realizing "yeah this is never gonna happen". I'll try and save you a Codraroll essay on this by summing it up as Pikachu is the series mascot, Raichu just is nowhere near as recognizable.
That a good thing or a bad thing?

And I know it's unpopular because no one liked it and the other posts by other people are liked.

Nice try, but I'm not repelled that easily.

Pikachu being the mascot and easily recognisable face of Pokémon is one important aspect, true, but also keep in mind that the primary purpose of the Anime is not to recount the thrilling adventures of a heroic and competent main character. The Anime is mostly there to advertise the games. It shows off the world of Pokémon, presents its concepts, creatures and moves. Occasionally it also displays some legit useful tips and tricks, but mostly it's there to guide kids into the games.

For that to happen without too much spoon-feeding, the characters on the show have to learn stuff as they travel, similar to how a kid learns the basics of Pokémon as he watches the show. Every new Pokémon has to be presented as something new and wondrous, along the lines of "Oh, look, a Squibble!", because the Pokémon is new to the viewer. Whenever Ash and his friends encounter something new, their reactions have to match those of the viewer. What is that thing? What does it do? What moves does it know? How strong is it, in what situation? Ash and his friends find out over the course of the episode, and the viewer learns something new. It doesn't matter if Ash has seen the Pokémon before, or even had it in his possession for hundreds of episodes. It's new to the viewers, ergo it has to be new to Ash.

That all means that Ash must never be allowed to build any experience. The Anime "resets" periodically, so that new viewers can tune in and learn everything from the beginning. And so must Ash, because if he reacts with "eh, seen it before" they can't dump exposition. If Pikachu swept the floor with everything it encountered, new Pokémon would feel weak and useless by comparison.

There's also the aspect of selling merchandise. Cute and beady-eyed first-stage Pokémon can easily be turned into adorable plushies, hence why the main characters always acquire a few of them and never evolve them. Evolution functionally removes a character from the show and replaces it with a new one, meaning that once that cute, squeaky, beady-eyed thing evolves, it'll never come back. Instead you've got something that's two metres tall, full of spikes and speaks in a deep bass growl. It might sell merchandise too, of course, but those beady-eyed plushies are suddenly not relevant any more.

So yeah, if you want any sort of story out of the Anime, well, you're not in its target demographic. It's mostly a marketing tool, there to sell the rest of the franchise and explain its contents. Something that everybody can tune in to and watch without having played the games, but which crosses over just enough of the games that viewers will eventually want their own Pokémon experience. The Anime, despite being about a trainer who beats all eight Gyms and eventually participates in the Pokémon League, really only covers the first third or so of a Pokémon game. It only gives occasional glimpses of strong, fully-evolved Pokémon, hinting of their awesome power but never fully featuring them. Not only does this give the perception that they're really strong and awesome by setting the overall power level of the Anime to NFE levels, it also teases viewers that they can play with the strongest Pokémon only by buying the games.

TL;DR - the Anime is a commercial/tutorial aimed at little kids. Once you've played the game even halfway through, you're not in its intended audience any more.
This reminds me of another unpopular opinion I have. Pokemon should not be analysed in this depth. It's meant to be more casual and relaxed...like fardfetch'd!

Here's a question I've had, though: why does Ash need to be so damn inexperienced?

Oh yeah...because his companions are almost always either younger than him (and thus unable, question mark, to have Pokemon of their own?) or Gym leaders, who better know what they're doing.

What bugs me is that Ash, as somebody who has succeeded in multiple regions and under multiple sets of circumstances, would make a great mentor character. The writers do a horrible job of showing it, but the kid knows his stuff. Here's your fix: new lead, Ash as the mentor character who explains everything. He'd be a lot better than Cilan, Mister "It looks like Dragon Rage scored a critical hit!". And of course, when things get dark and serious, Pikachu can still save the day.

This reminds me of another unpopular opinion I have. Pokemon should not be analysed in this depth. It's meant to be more casual and relaxed...like fardfetch'd!
Perhaps it's not meant to, but we do so anyway, because that's (part of; this is still Smogon, folks) how we enjoy Pokemon. A massive part of Pokemon's success is the appeal to multiple generations and demographics, which can only be done by multiple levels of play. Some people keep Pokemon as pets, some battle competitively, some Shiny-hunt, some breed, some world-build, et cetera.

Here's a question I've had, though: why does Ash need to be so damn inexperienced?

Oh yeah...because his companions are almost always either younger than him (and thus unable, question mark, to have Pokemon of their own?) or Gym leaders, who better know what they're doing.

What bugs me is that Ash, as somebody who has succeeded in multiple regions and under multiple sets of circumstances, would make a great mentor character. The writers do a horrible job of showing it.
I don't like this either but what also bugs me is that Ash has never even beaten the league, even though we know he has all that experience...

No, Codra, this requires a larger post outside of "This is Smogon".
One of the most fun things about being a fan is to analyze things. We devote our brain power to it because we love it. Is there a point where we have to cite the MST3K Mantra? Yes, especially in separating game mechanics from "reality" and remembering that the anime is a cartoon and the fact that Team Rocket can survive blasting off is due to it being slapstick. Was the intent of anyone over at Game Freak for us to dig as deep as we have? Not likely, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. We are all having fun. I feel the same way about people complaining about competitive players. We are having fun without hurting others, so stop complaining at us.

I don't like this either but what also bugs me is that Ash has never even beaten the league, even though we know he has all that experience...
Look at any professional athlete. Lots of people are insanely experienced and insanely good, but never win championships. Assuming you follow some sport, somewhere, you can probably think of an example, team or individual. Often it's what happens when you're a good or even great player surrounded by all-time greats.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 6)