5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yep, it's a common thing. It's significantly improved by playing on an older system (pre DSi); even more modern systems (3DS, maybe others) can also get the joy of VFrame changes, which adds another degree of fun to guessing what seed you're hitting.

I think people tend to search for their most common one when performing searches, and then just keep trying until you get that one on your target seed. You can then change which one you believe is the "most common" (some people find this changes when they start holding buttons down to hit the seeds), rather than spending the time performing additional calibration time on something which may change.

Well, that makes sense, given that I'm using the same DS lite for all my RNG. I've noticed no changes in the most 'common', keypresses or no. On BW2 my three most common RNG types are stationary capture, hidden grotto, and ID abuse, and I've never noticed keypresses making any significant difference. I simply only pick seeds on the dominant timers and when checking adjacent seeds, very rarely land on anything other than the other dominant timers when missing my seed. It seems to be consistent against multiple saves. Is this something VFrame affects, then?

Last edited:

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I don't know if this is the right place for this but...

PPRNG 1.15 (Mac)

Generation 4 -> Seed Inspector

It doesn't calculate shininess based on the TID / SID given, it only calculates as though your TID and SID were both zero (aka, 16u and 16l xor with themselves to give a number under 8, pretty obvious from a quick glance at the screenshot I uploaded).

Generation 4 -> Seed Searcher works as normal, as does TID Searcher.

Attachments

I have a question about Dream Radar RNG. If my game behaves as if Memory Link has been completed without having it completed, would completing Memory Link change anything? If it doesn't change anything, would it be better just to complete Memory Link so I know to use the -1 offset?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I have a question about Dream Radar RNG. If my game behaves as if Memory Link has been completed without having it completed, would completing Memory Link change anything? If it doesn't change anything, would it be better just to complete Memory Link so I know to use the -1 offset?
Completing it shouldn't change anything so I'd go ahead and do the memory link. To your point, doing it would ensure you use the -1 offset instead of being in a state where you think it could switch to behaving differently (if switching back is even a thing).

I was looking elsewhere for guide(s) on calibration in BW2 (since I've had issues trying to calibrate in the past). I came across a guide which, while I was looking at it, stated that Kyurem's chamber, in BW2, has random PID advancements. Could this be the culprit of my issues with past calibration (I was using Kyurem as a stationary legendary to calibrate so I could easily check IVs)?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I was looking elsewhere for guide(s) on calibration in BW2 (since I've had issues trying to calibrate in the past). I came across a guide which, while I was looking at it, stated that Kyurem's chamber, in BW2, has random PID advancements. Could this be the culprit of my issues with past calibration (I was using Kyurem as a stationary legendary to calibrate so I could easily check IVs)?
NPCs (i.e. random PID advances) don't interfere with calibration, so I doubt that was the issue. You may find at times that the calibration process can be a bit shaky (i.e. you do the same thing but sometimes results don't show up), so it's best to keep trying and make sure you're inputting the info correctly. Trying different times may also help.

NPCs (i.e. random PID advances) don't interfere with calibration, so I doubt that was the issue. You may find at times that the calibration process can be a bit shaky (i.e. you do the same thing but sometimes results don't show up), so it's best to keep trying and make sure you're inputting the info correctly. Trying different times may also help.
How many calibrations do you recommend doing? So far I've done 6 and got different Timer0's with each one (I realize that's fairly normal for BW2, but I'm wondering what I should shoot for in terms of number of calibrations).

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
How many calibrations do you recommend doing? So far I've done 6 and got different Timer0's with each one (I realize that's fairly normal for BW2, but I'm wondering what I should shoot for in terms of number of calibrations).
For BW2, 15-20+ probably, but it's really until you're confident you found your most-common Timer0. It's annoying now, but it's worth the effort in the long run.

You also have the option of using Unova Link calibration if the IV method really isn't working for you (in terms of producing any valid results; it wouldn't change the number of trails you have to do). If the IV method is still working fine for you, I'd stick it out.

Hi!
I have 2 questions pertaining to gen 5 RNG abuse that someone can hopefully help address.
I believe both are true, but I'd love some confirmation before I get going.

1) If I RNG something in BW just for IVs, assuming I did it correctly, If I trade it over to BW2 will the same IVs that I RNG'd carry over?

2) Assuming the above is true, If I RNG something to be shiny using the TID/SID from my BW2 game on my BW game, and then trade over the resulting egg to BW2, will it be shiny?
I apologize if thats not clear. I will be RNG'ing on my BW game, but for shininess I will be using the BW2 TID/SID.

Thank you for your time!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hi!
I have 2 questions pertaining to gen 5 RNG abuse that someone can hopefully help address.
I believe both are true, but I'd love some confirmation before I get going.

1) If I RNG something in BW just for IVs, assuming I did it correctly, If I trade it over to BW2 will the same IVs that I RNG'd carry over?

2) Assuming the above is true, If I RNG something to be shiny using the TID/SID from my BW2 game on my BW game, and then trade over the resulting egg to BW2, will it be shiny?
I apologize if thats not clear. I will be RNG'ing on my BW game, but for shininess I will be using the BW2 TID/SID.

Thank you for your time!
1) Yes, the IVs (and PID) are fixed once you pick up the egg from the daycare man. So trading it won't have any affect.

2) Also yes!

:)

So after a five year hiatus from RNG in Gen IV, I'm back to RNG, but this time in Gen V (for the first time). The issue I seem to be having whenever I aim for a seed is that my Timer0 is always off. I'm running Black 2 on a DSi, and I'm going anywhere from 1677 to 167B. It's never consistent and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I actually have an easier time hitting seeds in Gen IV, and I was under the assumption that Gen V RNG isn't quite as difficult, but so far I have not hit the same seed once. My seconds are always correct, but Timer0 is not. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm looking to hit 167B, but so far I've done ten different RNG results, each which resulted in completely different IVs.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So after a five year hiatus from RNG in Gen IV, I'm back to RNG, but this time in Gen V (for the first time). The issue I seem to be having whenever I aim for a seed is that my Timer0 is always off. I'm running Black 2 on a DSi, and I'm going anywhere from 1677 to 167B. It's never consistent and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I actually have an easier time hitting seeds in Gen IV, and I was under the assumption that Gen V RNG isn't quite as difficult, but so far I have not hit the same seed once. My seconds are always correct, but Timer0 is not. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm looking to hit 167B, but so far I've done ten different RNG results, each which resulted in completely different IVs.
Yeah, that's a common issue for Gen V RNG.

The Timer0 is out of your control; the way people tend to do it is to perform the calibration multiple times, find the Timer0 which occurs the most (you may start to get an idea of this from the results you've already collected trying to hit the seed).

If it's any consolation, doing it on a DSi typically only gives around 3-8 Timer0s the console randomly switches between. Other consoles (3DS, etc.) tend to have 10+, and can vary on VCount as well :/.

Best advice I can give is to keep trying for the seed you're after now, keeping track of what Timer0 you hit each time, until you get your Pokémon. Then on subsequent searches, you can use this information to choose the Timer0 which occurs most frequently for you. [As an additional note, some people find different Timer0s occur at differing frequencies depending on the number of buttons pressed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯].

Yeah, that's a common issue for Gen V RNG.

The Timer0 is out of your control; the way people tend to do it is to perform the calibration multiple times, find the Timer0 which occurs the most (you may start to get an idea of this from the results you've already collected trying to hit the seed).

If it's any consolation, doing it on a DSi typically only gives around 3-8 Timer0s the console randomly switches between. Other consoles (3DS, etc.) tend to have 10+, and can vary on VCount as well :/.

Best advice I can give is to keep trying for the seed you're after now, keeping track of what Timer0 you hit each time, until you get your Pokémon. Then on subsequent searches, you can use this information to choose the Timer0 which occurs most frequently for you. [As an additional note, some people find different Timer0s occur at differing frequencies depending on the number of buttons pressed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯].
Very interesting, thank you.com. I was able to hit my target seed once with 167B, fortunately. Of course this is more for experimentation purposes than anything, and I'm aiming to consistently hit that same seed. It's a shame to hear we have no control over it. I'll continue with testing to see if, perhaps, I need to re-calibrate. I hadn't anticipated this whole Timer0 nonsense. :p

Very interesting, thank you.com. I was able to hit my target seed once with 167B, fortunately. Of course this is more for experimentation purposes than anything, and I'm aiming to consistently hit that same seed. It's a shame to hear we have no control over it. I'll continue with testing to see if, perhaps, I need to re-calibrate. I hadn't anticipated this whole Timer0 nonsense. :p
My original DS lite only hits 4 different Timer0s in B2. I have found GEN V RNG super easy on a DS Lite noticeably more than any other system.

My original DS lite only hits 4 different Timer0s in B2. I have found GEN V RNG super easy on a DS Lite noticeably more than any other system.
One problem I'm encountering more than anything now isn't hitting my desired seed (I solved that after numerous trial and error), but it's getting the desired nature with my Synchronizer. I'm going after Mesprit in Black 2, and I've hit my seed at least 10 times, but they have all been the Serious nature, and not Timid (my Synchronizer). I had this problem last night with trying to get Zekrom with an Adamant nature. I feel as if I'm having terrible luck or it's somehow fixed and that Synchronizers don't work the way they used to.

One problem I'm encountering more than anything now isn't hitting my desired seed (I solved that after numerous trial and error), but it's getting the desired nature with my Synchronizer. I'm going after Mesprit in Black 2, and I've hit my seed at least 10 times, but they have all been the Serious nature, and not Timid (my Synchronizer). I had this problem last night with trying to get Zekrom with an Adamant nature. I feel as if I'm having terrible luck or it's somehow fixed and that Synchronizers don't work the way they used to.
You probably need to advance a couple of frames to hit a synchable nature (or the nature without synching, both work). Plug your Seed in the main window of the RNGReporter and fill in the Method and Encounter type, have "Black White 2?" checked, click "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame", then hit "Generate". There's a good chance the first Serious nature you'll see in the list is the one you're hitting. If you're unsure, you can always advance one frame, then check the Mesprit's nature (unless of course it's a synchable nature in which case you should just catch it lol). This process is a lot more annoying if you're doing them in noisey areas, but I believe Mesprit is in a quiet area, so you should be good.

Synchronize generally always works the way you're used to. In any order circumstance, you'd get about a 50/50 chance for the right nature, but since you're RNGing, the nature is "fixed". By that I mean that some frames will NEVER synch and some frames WILL synch if you use a Synchronizer.
Hope that helps.

You probably need to advance a couple of frames to hit a synchable nature (or the nature without synching, both work). Plug your Seed in the main window of the RNGReporter and fill in the Method and Encounter type, have "Black White 2?" checked, click "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame", then hit "Generate". There's a good chance the first Serious nature you'll see in the list is the one you're hitting. If you're unsure, you can always advance one frame, then check the Mesprit's nature (unless of course it's a synchable nature in which case you should just catch it lol). This process is a lot more annoying if you're doing them in noisey areas, but I believe Mesprit is in a quiet area, so you should be good.

Synchronize generally always works the way you're used to. In any order circumstance, you'd get about a 50/50 chance for the right nature, but since you're RNGing, the nature is "fixed". By that I mean that some frames will NEVER synch and some frames WILL synch if you use a Synchronizer.
Hope that helps.
Thanks a ton for your help, I do appreciate it. I found exactly what you were talking about - it turns out the starting frame was of the Serious nature. Problem solved! However, I'm still new to this generation, and the only real question I have is advancing the frame, that's something I still don't know how to do (I don't have a Chatot yet, so just a heads up).

Thanks a ton for your help, I do appreciate it. I found exactly what you were talking about - it turns out the starting frame was of the Serious nature. Problem solved! However, I'm still new to this generation, and the only real question I have is advancing the frame, that's something I still don't know how to do (I don't have a Chatot yet, so just a heads up).
Hm...You should definitely get a Chatot, that will make everything a LOT easier. In fact, get two. Very useful for high frames.

Anyway, if you can't get Chatot atm, there's another way to advances frames. Every time you save the game, you advance the frame by one. So, in your case, if your Initial PIDRNG Frame is say 41 and it's Serious, then maybe frame 45 is Synchable. So, just save 4 times, then start the battle. :)

But please, get Chatots! It will save you a lot of time. Especially in noisey areas where moving NPCs will screw you over badly (you can't rely on saving there).

Hm...You should definitely get a Chatot, that will make everything a LOT easier. In fact, get two. Very useful for high frames.

Anyway, if you can't get Chatot atm, there's another way to advances frames. Every time you save the game, you advance the frame by one. So, in your case, if your Initial PIDRNG Frame is say 41 and it's Serious, then maybe frame 45 is Synchable. So, just save 4 times, then start the battle. :)

But please, get Chatots! It will save you a lot of time. Especially in noisey areas where moving NPCs will screw you over badly (you can't rely on saving there).
Understood. At least I can do saving in the meantime. I just went to route 18 where the Chatot might be in the hidden grotto, turns out it was a Repel. If only you could still trade online in Gen V!

Understood. At least I can do saving in the meantime. I just went to route 18 where the Chatot might be in the hidden grotto, turns out it was a Repel. If only you could still trade online in Gen V!
If you have any game of gen 4, you can easily catch them there and send it over. ;) Otherwise, you can grab the Repel in the Hidden Grotto, save outside and activate a Max Repel. Grotto's can generate after 256 steps so just keep trying lol. If you have it, you can use the Hidden Grotto Power from the Entralink to increase your chances of generating the HG.

Well, it seems I'm having a bit of trouble here again with Chatot cries. In the main window of RNGReporter, I see my seed and frame that I land on, and I begin to start using Chatot cries to advance the frame. Only thing is, I see two different methods. One is called Chatot, the other is called Chatot Pitch. Which is the one I'm supposed to pay attention to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)