Unpopular opinions

I guess I'm the only guy here that likes the Anime as it is, focused more on casual exposition and Pokémon of the day than on the plot.
That's what I'm saying with my post. It's fine the way it is ESPECIALLY if you consider each region like an episode of the Simpsons where time and causality and junk do not apply. Changing things will just like...complicate things too much and it will just feel SO off that it will be offputting.

I did kind of just say it on the Pokémon Z thread; but screw it, I'll say it here too - I actually much prefer having this longer period of time between main games that we're experiencing right now. I'd much prefer it if there were a couple years between each main game (though that will never ever be their schedule) so that way I wouldn't have to scrabble together enough money for them at a moment's notice and Game Freak could focus on making each game much better; and then in-between we could have all these nice little spin-offs... honestly the period between ORAS and probably-Z-or-X2Y2 has been my favourite time for Pokémon aside from the whiny fans complaining about Z on every video the Pokémon youtube company puts out (I mean, seriously? Pokken and 20th anniversary event mons and all you can think about is a rehashed XY...) because it lets me think of it as something other than a franchise which just puts out the same minorly altered game every two seconds to squeeze as much money out of you as possible. I've actually been having fun with the series because I'm allowed to take things slow and not have to buy the next game as soon as I've finished the last and I can actually enjoy other things like Smash and Transformers and... life. I can actually look forward and get more excited for a new game rather than just "oh, the new pokemon is coming out".
Codraroll I'll give you this one tell us why it'd be absolutely horrible business-wise for game freak to only release games every two years

No, Codra, this requires a larger post outside of "This is Smogon".
One of the most fun things about being a fan is to analyze things. We devote our brain power to it because we love it. Is there a point where we have to cite the MST3K Mantra? Yes, especially in separating game mechanics from "reality" and remembering that the anime is a cartoon and the fact that Team Rocket can survive blasting off is due to it being slapstick. Was the intent of anyone over at Game Freak for us to dig as deep as we have? Not likely, but that doesn't mean it is wrong. We are all having fun. I feel the same way about people complaining about competitive players. We are having fun without hurting others, so stop complaining at us.
Pokemon is supposed to mainly be spontaneous, in my opinion...mainly. And competitively analysing pokemon hurts me.

I think that pokemon needs to get a cool announcer voice like Halo or Counter Strike. This would be extremely funny and impractical, but for one game, I'd just like to see it feature just so that I can make fun of it and laugh hard...

I think that pokemon needs to get a cool announcer voice like Halo or Counter Strike. This would be extremely funny and impractical, but for one game, I'd just like to see it feature just so that I can make fun of it and laugh hard...
Ever played Stadium? There you go.

On that note, I'd really like, if they ever did another Stadium game, to be able to make IV/EV spreads and whatnot. The Gen VI/probably VII metagame is so wickedly diverse, and it'd be really cool to capture that on console. (Though isn't GameFreak still refusing to acknowledge IVs?)

Ever played Stadium? There you go.

On that note, I'd really like, if they ever did another Stadium game, to be able to make IV/EV spreads and whatnot. The Gen VI/probably VII metagame is so wickedly diverse, and it'd be really cool to capture that on console. (Though isn't GameFreak still refusing to acknowledge IVs?)
That's an old game...I don't have a Nintendo 64...

Pokemon Battle Revolution was a good game....

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It wasn't a 3rd Shadow Pokemon game or Pokemon Collosuem 3
Pretty much this. Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness are a blast to play and easily among the franchise's best singleplayer games, so when people heard about Battle Revolution I assume they got excited it would follow suit with its own campaign. It didn't and people were disappointed, especially since PBR wasn't that good.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Codraroll I'll give you this one tell us why it'd be absolutely horrible business-wise for game freak to only release games every two years
Well... strictly speaking, it's only bad for business in the sense that they have the means to release a game quickly (updating the Kalos games in a year would be a trivial matter considering they built Hoenn from scratch in a similar time frame), there is obviously consumer demand for games so often (ever since BW, we've got one game every year, and ever since ORAS, the Internet has been screaming for Z), and that the studio's primary expenses - staff wages - remains relatively unchanged regardless if they cut a game out of schedule or not. By not releasing games, they're practically turning down money.

Thing is, the Pokémon games have high replayability, but many people do not want to replay them. After investing dozens of hours raising your Pokémon, collecting items and filling the Poké Dex, you do not want to throw it all away, which is required to start a new game. Trading it over to another game is a huge hassle, and stuff like Secret Bases, Maison trophies or Pokédex entries cannot be traded over. You're still undoing hours of work by restarting your game. Still, many of us play Pokémon for the progression alone, starting as an inexperienced kid from a sleepy village building progress until we're the champion of the region. That feeling of progression is an essential part of the Pokémon experience, but it can only be experienced once in a playthrough. The demand for that progression, along with the negative impacts of starting over and the fact that exploration is usually way more fun the first time, means that fans will crave new games to play instead of starting over their old ones. That's why we're so worked up over Z not being released, and why many of us would buy it without question even though it's 90 % the same as the games we've already played to the point of boredom. Financially, it makes sense to release a game every year, which is just enough time for fans to complete the old game, get tired of the post-game (which is usually stripped of features so the next game will look even better by comparison) and engage in hefty speculation up until the release of the new game. Take too long, and fans will complete the games, wonder "now what?" and maybe engage in some other franchise which delivers a similar thrill. When the games eventually do get announced, their interest might have waned to the point that they don't bother to buy it, or at least puts it on hold for a while.

That being said, there is an extra element to it too. Namely, Game Freak's dependence on Nintendo's handheld consoles. If the 3DS's projected remaining life span is too short to accomodate another Pokémon generation, they have to somehow keep Gen VI relevant all the way until the next console is released and Gen VII can take over. Release the last Gen VI game too soon, and the waiting time for the next game might be so long as to risk pushing Pokémon out of relevance. To shorten the post-gen-VI-gap, it makes sense that the last Gen VI game is postponed, leaving another gap in the middle of the generation instead of a huge one after it. It is a pet theory of mine that the pre-Z gap was not originally planned to be that long, that ORAS was not designed with such longevity in mind (the lack of a Battle Frontier was a conscious choice, seeing as they left a model of it in-game) and this is why we're so impatient for Z. ORAS could not keep us thrilled for long enough to cover the gap; it was designed to be fun for only as long as it would take Game Freak to release the next game.

That, or they're testing and seeing whether the spin-off games perform better in the absence of a new main series title on the market. With a shorter and less intensive development cycle, and being comparatively independent on the "generation" format, spin-offs put less strain on the studio while also being easier to plan for. Main series games come in large, unwieldy, costly chunks (generations) that have to be developed for the same console and released over several years, spin-offs are stand-alone and can be made platform-independent if need be. We've been bombarded with spin-offs this past year, most of which have failed to capture the thrill of a main series game. They aren't as engaging as a full-fledged Pokémon adventure, despite having Pokémon in them. The brand alone isn't synonymous with a fun and engaging gameplay experience, and it seems obvious Pokémon will have to rely on the main series games in the future too. Hopefully, this two-year gap is either a mistake due to unforeseen circumstances, or a one-off failed experiment.

(P.S.: I left out issues already covered in the "longevity of Pokémon" threads such as content crunch or platform migrations. They're not that relevant to this issue).

I like the part where Ash is so put off by it, that he can only just stutter Regice's name over and over. Then Regice is like "Yeah kid, that's my name, don't wear it out."
More like: "Exterminaaate!!!"

No emotion. No heed for mercy. Just "Seek and destroy!!!"

If Nintendo ever got the opportunity to remove two Pokémon, they'd remove Raichu twice. It overshadows the franchise mascot, and for gameplay purposes reduces it into a transitional stage. It makes Pikachu the weaker option in its evolutionary family (though Light Ball is a pretty obvious attempt to remedy that). It prevents Pikachu from getting Mega Evolutions under the current lore and mechanics (because you know they'd give Pikachu multiple ones if the option was available for it). Whenever they try to do something unique to Pikachu, they have to manually add a mechanic that prevents it from evolving into Raichu. As long as Raichu exists, we will always have in mind that Pikachu is not the peak of its evolutionary family.

I'm a fan of Raichu and like it better than Pikachu, so I'd be really sad to see it go (not that I think it will), but it seems pretty obvious that Game Freak regrets the decision to give Pikachu an evolution.
It's their own damned fault for not having Ash's Pikachu evolve. By the time he learned Thunder, he had already reached his plateau for the most part. You'd think that they could just make a Mega Raichu to make an excuse, and get it over with, but nooooo! I sometimes wish they'd just go the same route as Adventures, have Ash win the league, and introduce a new character, with a new Pikachu, if they are so damned insistent! Gen V would have been the perfect opportunity.

New opinion: we really don't want any more regular evolutions to old pokemon.

Eevee aside, GF has only done this twice, and while Gen 2 was fine (and even necessary for some pokemon) Gen 4 was... mixed.

I mean sure we got good ones like Roserade, Magnazone, Dusknoir, Mamoswine, Gallade, Mismagius, Weavile, Froslass, Togekiss, Honchkrow, and Electivire,

But we also got Probopass, Rhypherior, Magmortar, and Electivire.

Gliscor lies in limbo between the two.

...okay so maybe I'm just really hard on Gen 4 but Rhypherior annoys me! How could they take a classic like this:

Free hugs for everybody!

And turn it into this:

Don't worry, the Doctor says it's not contagious.
But we do! I mean you don't.! I mean don't tell me what I want, and what I don't!!! Gee, I've been playing way too much Destroy All Humans, and hanging out with Crypto way too long!

But I agree with you on Rhyperior. At least he has one of the coolest sounding signature moves in the game! Until the translators went and changed the name to the lame-sounding Rock Wrecker. Rock Cannon 4 life!!

And I like Gliscor. Okay, so maybe he wasn't really good until he got Poison Heal!

You are not alone, the little key thief is adorable.
And also not only has a kickass ability, but a very good defensive typing! Immunity to Poison and Dragon! When I finally get to breeding a proper set, there is going to have loads of fun to be had!!! Maybe I'll save him for my playthrough of Z (assuming Game Freak doesn't mess up, and abandon Kalos altogether in favor of Gen 7).

Last edited:
I've said so before and I'll say it again, poor Raichu needs a new PR agent. While Pikachu gets more svelt every generation:
2016 (best to ignore this last one, he's back on the sweets).

Raichu stays pretty plump and derpy:
upload_2016-2-9_21-13-46.jpeg
upload_2016-2-9_21-14-19.jpeg
upload_2016-2-9_21-14-29.png
upload_2016-2-9_21-14-43.jpeg

Another thing is that the animators keep forgetting that, being based on the Kangaroo Rat, it should be walking and jumping on the tips of it's feet.
upload_2016-2-9_21-16-19.jpeg

Instead they keep animating it more like a human, giving the appearance of clown shoes.
upload_2016-2-9_21-23-5.jpeg
upload_2016-2-9_21-23-23.jpeg

In my opinion there shouldn't me a Mega Flygon and I don't say that because I hate Flygon (I actually like it) or want others to be annoyed, but I feel that we got way too many Mega Dragons (and Psychics) Types and if Flygon would get a Mega too that would mean that all Hoenn Dragon Pokemon have a mega and that feels wierd IMO.

Last edited:
Overabundance of dragons is to be expected, they've reversed policies from "super rare" (Gen1/2) to "can't shake a stick without hitting six" (Gen3 and beyond). And it's to the point where people start to just assume dragons (a lot of people though Yveltal was going to be Dragon/Dark before the reveal).

To be expected, dragons are always popular.

And poor poison just cries in the corner with only three megas by technicality (Venasaur, Gengar, Beedrill) and no legendaries.

Well I mean, if you're making a new type, it just makes sense to make a legendary or two with the type to draw more attention with it. It's what I'd do, anyway.
True but don't you think that the types before it should at least have one legendary? I think pokemon companies favor dragons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
True but don't you think that the types before it should at least have one legendary? I think pokemon companies favor dragons.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

When making a Legendary I don't they're looking at the type but rather theme. They assign the type (and Ability and stats) after thinking up what this Legendary is about.

Now the thing about a Poison-type is that it'll probably be for a creature that represents a force of destruction (as in physical like pollution), loss (as in theoretical, like bad luck), or decomposition (if they want something that's more natural).

I mean maybe, but... you're talking about 17 types before Fairies throughout five gens - considering many legendaries in groups share typings in some way (whether it be the Pixies all being mono-psychic, the birds having an additional Flying-type etc.), it's unlikely you'll cover all outside of Arceus. Especially when unless you're specifically trying to promote something - like, say, the Fairy-type - it's very likely the concepts of the Legendaries come first before deciding "we should cover every type".

breh

強いだね
Pokemon Battle Revolution was a good game....
Late on this, but PBR is an incredibly, incredibly lazy game. I remember it fondly, but I can't really call it well made. I don't think it's actually possible to beat the game without having Diamond and Pearl since you are literally up against an uber rain team with your team of rental pokemon with (I believe) random natures and half-randomized movesets. The only reason it wasn't total garbage was because it had random wifi.

I suppose since it is getting a lot of love here this will count as an unpopular opinion...

Pokémon Battle Revolution is, by a long shot, the worst Pokémon Game ever made.

It's not even about it not being a 'true sequel' or whatever to the Shadow Pokémon games. Even though Colosseum is my favourite game in the series (I unfortunately have not been able to play XD due to it's atrocious prices on the secondary market; a fate it shares with Ike's two Fire Emblem games), to judge PBR on that merit or to want it as a true sequel or what have you would be unfair as despite being on a home console and being made by the same company, that's not what it sets out to do.

Instead, I'll judge it by it's own qualities or complete lack thereof. As noted above, PBR iis a very, very, very lazy game. Let's go over the good qualities first - it did introduce Trainer Customization years before XY would do it properly, it did let you see your entire team in 3D and due to the different backgrounds, animations and the aforementioned Trainer Customization; it did look much nicer than DP's wi-fi. The game also gave you access to items, Surfing Pikachu, as well as Magmortar and Electivire which are notable because DP's way of obtaining them is one of the most asinine ways a Pokémon game could let you get one of it's brand new Pokémon.

If you managed to read that there should be a little problem if you look hard enough. These are all nice qualities; all nice little details... but they're just that. Details. Every good thing about this game is not from a gameplay standpoint, not from a story standpoint; not from any standpoint other than Details and possibly music (Mysterial or whatever he's called does have a kickass theme). Trainer Customization is cool but it's hardly a massive selling point. Wi-Fi already existed in the DS games so it's not exactly a major draw. Aside from that it... looks nice? And if you're buying the game for a Surfing Pikachu and easier access to certain items it's at that point you have to step back and realize "holy shit, I'm into Pokémon way too deep".

So what's so wrong with the gameplay? If those are the only good things about the game then what's so bad about this game's gameplay that you can't list a good thing about it? ... the fact that, as I've noted before, there is no gameplay. When you sell a game for full retail price alongside titles like Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, that is a very serious problem. "But Kurona!" I hear you yell. "It does have gameplay! The Colosseum Mode!" ... if I were to count that as 'gameplay', I would seriously have to lower my standards. A long, tedious amount of battles in a row, with no break, with no overworld exploration, with no actual adventure or semblance of a story in-between which, if you don't connect your own copy of DP you get handed a choice of two teams of shitty mid-evolutions is what we call 'gameplay'? If Game Freak were to take Pokémon Emerald, strip the game of everything but the Battle Frontier and hand you a tenth of the Pokédex for you to choose your team from, it would have a tremendous amount of gameplay more than this full-retail price Nintendo Wii game. The Colosseum Mode exists purely for you to get Poké Coupons to spend on items. If you somehow got any enjoyment out of it, I commend you, because I certainly don't have any fond memories of it aside from Mysterio or whoever's theme.

And it's not even that that gets to me. It's the lack of value that does. I said I wouldn't judge it by the merit of Colosseum or XD, but you know what? Say you're a kid who loves Pokémon but for some reason you only have a Gamecube and no GBA. Guess what? There's these two great Pokémon games for the Gamecube on sale which give you a wide, if limited amount of Pokémon to choose from with their own unique stories, characters and overworld! If you have a GBA and RSEFRLG, then even better because you can transfer Pokémon to and from! Know what had less playability than that? Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2. But you know what? At least with those, you had fun minigames, Random Battles to play against your friend, and hell, I'll even give the mini Battle Frontier a pass here because those didn't exist in the Gameboy games and it featured characters people knew and love from said Gameboy games.
But Pokémon Battle Revolution? Guess what kids, if you want anything out of this; fucking anything, you have to buy an entirely different console and one of the DS Pokémon games if you don't have one already! Oh, and make sure to complete those first because you sure as hell are not going to be able to do a damn thing with your level 20 Luxio and Grotle. And I don't know if this was an unfortunate thing of where I was, but Battle Revolution cost MORE than your average Wii Game! When it was sold in the same shop in the pre-owned section; the section where everything's cheaper because it's pre-owned and hence was the cheapest place to get it... it cost the same price as a normal Wii game. That's my problem here. Not only does it offer no content on it's own for the price of a normal game, but if you want anything out of it, you actually have to buy a DS and a DS Pokémon Game. It's absolutely atrocious, money-grabbing and despicable. It's an accessory at best touted as being as valuable as classics like Super Mario Galaxy when really, even fucking Pokémon Ranch has more value - that at least has the decency to go under the radar, be sold for a very low price, market itself as an accessory, and give you a goddamned Mew. What does Battle Revolution give you? Oh, here's an Electivire, but hunt for a fucking code online first which we give you no direction to do.

There's nothing to be gotten out of Battle Revolution. It's not what one can call a game, not what one can call value for money and not what one can call fair in any way. It's just a shitty simulator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)