5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Well, it seems I'm having a bit of trouble here again with Chatot cries. In the main window of RNGReporter, I see my seed and frame that I land on, and I begin to start using Chatot cries to advance the frame. Only thing is, I see two different methods. One is called Chatot, the other is called Chatot Pitch. Which is the one I'm supposed to pay attention to?
Honestly, I'm not too sure. I can't hear the pitches myself because of bad hearing lol. But honestly, as you can see in the window, just advance twice and initiate the battle and you should get a Timid Mesprit if you hit your Timer0.

I'm guessing that you'll want to listen to the second column if you want to hear the difference.

Honestly, I'm not too sure. I can't hear the pitches myself because of bad hearing lol. But honestly, as you can see in the window, just advance twice and initiate the battle and you should get a Timid Mesprit if you hit your Timer0.

I'm guessing that you'll want to listen to the second column if you want to hear the difference.
Alright, I've been watching both columns and trying to see if either of them have a rhythm yet, but just now started. So far no luck yet. I wonder why there are two columns for Chatot cries?

Alright, I've been watching both columns and trying to see if either of them have a rhythm yet, but just now started. So far no luck yet. I wonder why there are two columns for Chatot cries?
It's my first seeing it. I have 9.96.6 BETA and it's just the Chatot Pitch column.

Are you going for a shiny btw or is it just 5iv (or 6iv) with the right nature? If it's the latter, then just advance two and grab your price. ;)

It's my first seeing it. I have 9.96.6 BETA and it's just the Chatot Pitch column.

Are you going for a shiny btw or is it just 5iv (or 6iv) with the right nature? If it's the latter, then just advance two and grab your price. ;)
Likewise, I'm also using 9.96.6 BETA. I'm simply going for 31/x/31/31/31/31. The problem is, I can never tell if I hit the right seed with the correct Timer0 since I'm using Black 2. It fluctuates quite a bit. As a result, I'm trying to do a few Chatot cries to make sure I'm on the right seed.

Likewise, I'm also using 9.96.6 BETA. I'm simply going for 31/x/31/31/31/31. The problem is, I can never tell if I hit the right seed with the correct Timer0 since I'm using Black 2. It fluctuates quite a bit. As a result, I'm trying to do a few Chatot cries to make sure I'm on the right seed.
Fair enough. Timer0's in B2W2 are terrible. Honestly, non-shiny is, in a way, tougher than shiny because you won't know what you hit until you catch the bugger. I was RNGing a Zekrom a few weeks ago and it took me forever since I wouldn't know wether I hid my Seed until I caught it and naturally, the Timer0's were off very often. There's really three things you can do:
1) Just go for it and advance twice and catch Mesprit. Hope you got a good catcher. ;) (I didn't. :/);
2) Listen with Chatot pitches;
3) Get someone with Final Gambit to check HP, that's a lot of work though.

Fair enough. Timer0's in B2W2 are terrible. Honestly, non-shiny is, in a way, tougher than shiny because you won't know what you hit until you catch the bugger. I was RNGing a Zekrom a few weeks ago and it took me forever since I wouldn't know wether I hid my Seed until I caught it and naturally, the Timer0's were off very often. There's really three things you can do:
1) Just go for it and advance twice and catch Mesprit. Hope you got a good catcher. ;) (I didn't. :/);
2) Listen with Chatot pitches;
3) Get someone with Final Gambit to check HP, that's a lot of work though.
I figured I would go with Chatot pitches, I felt that it's a good way to know if you're on the right seed and is a viable a method for seed verifying. In fact I did just that and finally caught my Timid Mesprit! Apparently the correct column was Chatot Pitch after all, not the Chatot column.

Thank you so very much for your help! Credits to you when I get my trade thread going.

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
You may have come across more of a developer version since there are so many columns (unless there's some option in the reporter I don't know of/can't find). To answer your question though, the "Chatot" column is for 4th gen games (i.e. it uses the 4th gen algorithm), whereas the "Chatot Pitch" column uses the 5th gen algorithm to determine the Chatot pitch given the number in that "RNGResult" column.

One of the primary differences is the fact that it's a 64-bit manipulation in 5th gen, wheres as it's 32-bit in 4th...
4th: ((rngResult & 0x1FFF)*100) >> 13 = pitch;
5th: ((rngResult*0x1FFF) >> 32)/82 = pitch;

(excluding some type castings)

So yeah, you'd want to use the "Chatot Pitch" column here (which you already figured out).

You can also rng the Chatot to appear in the Hidden Grotto, which would honestly probably be faster than hoping it shows up. It's not too bad of an RNG, and you don't have to worry about NPCs etc (you basically just have to hit your seed).

Congrats on the RNG though!

Right now my current project is a shiny Uxie, but I noticed that I'm having an increasingly difficult time trying to RNG this one as opposed to the others, and I'm not sure why. I've tried at least 50 different times to locate identical Chatot pitches, and nothing is matching up. Do NPCs advance the frames while you're doing Chatot pitches? I always look ahead a few frames in the case that they've advanced the frame before I get to the menu, but I can locate no identical Chatot pitch pattern.

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Right now my current project is a shiny Uxie, but I noticed that I'm having an increasingly difficult time trying to RNG this one as opposed to the others, and I'm not sure why. I've tried at least 50 different times to locate identical Chatot pitches, and nothing is matching up. Do NPCs advance the frames while you're doing Chatot pitches? I always look ahead a few frames in the case that they've advanced the frame before I get to the menu, but I can locate no identical Chatot pitch pattern.
NPCs can't advance your frame while chattering. What do you get if you capture OT without any advancements?

If I don't do any advances and hit my timer0 correctly, I'll get the spread I want which is great. But I can't find a recognizable pattern when I do hit my seed. I figure that the NPCs advance the frames so radically that the correct Chatot pitches are somewhere down the list, and I just can't find the pattern, which would explain so much seeing as Uxie is in such a populated area.

Edit: I was right. I just hit my seed twice, and both times the Chatot pitches were completely different from one another (which is what I wanted to find out when hitting my seed). I guess my only now is to hope I hit my seed and scroll through Chatot pitches until I find my pattern.

Edit 2: Hit my seeds a couple more times, found my pattern. Unfortunately, before I was able to "talk to" Uxie, some of the nearby NPCs advanced the frames both times, so I missed my shiny opportunity. It's really a tough one. Maybe I'll try saving at different intervals to see if I can find a time where the NPCs won't advance frames too much, hit my seed again, and "talk to" Uxie until it's shiny.

Last edited:
I only recently started Pokémon White and in the meantime I've been reading up on its RNG abuse. Question:
Since PID and IV spreads are seemingly unlinked (unlike Gen IV) does that theoretically mean you can shiny any IV spread without being forced to restart your game and RNG abuse your ID/SID combo like in Gen IV?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I only recently started Pokémon White and in the meantime I've been reading up on its RNG abuse. Question:
Since PID and IV spreads are seemingly unlinked (unlike Gen IV) does that theoretically mean you can shiny any IV spread without being forced to restart your game and RNG abuse your ID/SID combo like in Gen IV?
Yeah ID abuse isn't nearly as necessary in gen V. It's helpful for getting a shiny starter, unique IDs, or (since you're using White) for roamer abuse (i.e. you can make a frame you know you can hit shiny). It may take a little longer to find, say, seeds/frames for hex flawless shinies without ID abuse, but if you search long enough you'll find definitely them.

so tl;dr: yes

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Does Unova Link Calibration work in RNG Reporter 9.96.6 BETA?
There are mixed reports of it working (i.e. sometimes results don't show up or it'll go from 2 -> 0 possibilities), but people have had success with it. I'd say it's worth a shot, but if you are struggling with it just switch to the standard IV method.

Okay, I'm trying to RNG a Clefairy in the Hidden Grotto. I know that all the grottoes listed here prior to Giant Chasm are full. There was a hidden item inside the Giant Chasm grotto, so I took it, used a Max Repel, and then saved (without taking any steps). Upon loading the game at the correct time, I walk until the repel expires, then for at least 6 more steps, exit the grotto, and re-enter. There is always nothing there, though. If I weren't hitting my seed because of Timer0 troll (which is quite likely since this is B2 and I'm on a DSi), wouldn't there sometimes be something there? Am I doing something wrong?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Okay, I'm trying to RNG a Clefairy in the Hidden Grotto. I know that all the grottoes listed here prior to Giant Chasm are full. There was a hidden item inside the Giant Chasm grotto, so I took it, used a Max Repel, and then saved (without taking any steps). Upon loading the game at the correct time, I walk until the repel expires, then for at least 6 more steps, exit the grotto, and re-enter. There is always nothing there, though. If I weren't hitting my seed because of Timer0 troll (which is quite likely since this is B2 and I'm on a DSi), wouldn't there sometimes be something there? Am I doing something wrong?
Make sure you also don't have any Pokemon in the daycare as that will mess with your frame. The odds of the grotto filling under normal circumstances is like 5% iirc, so it's not too surprising nothing would show up if you didn't hit your proper seed/frame. It's probably just Timer0 trolling.

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Ok so I'm going to give a Shiny Roamer another shot in BW. The seed I found for Tornadus is in August, which will be Winter ingame. So the onsite guide lists that the starting frame with snow is around 260-300. Is that the frame I'm on at the time when I regain control over my character? Or is this the frame before the roamer flies in and it starts to rain?

I remember I had a shiny frame of 600-700 for my previous Shiny Tornadus, but that's been a few years ago already, so I just check to make sure. :p

Current shiny frame of this seed is 776.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok so I'm going to give a Shiny Roamer another shot in BW. The seed I found for Tornadus is in August, which will be Winter ingame. So the onsite guide lists that the starting frame with snow is around 260-300. Is that the frame I'm on at the time when I regain control over my character? Or is this the frame before the roamer flies in and it starts to rain?

I remember I had a shiny frame of 600-700 for my previous Shiny Tornadus, but that's been a few years ago already, so I just check to make sure. :p

Current shiny frame of this seed is 776.
I can't actually recall the moment [I think just as it flies off, but it doesn't matter particularly...], but the "starting frame" in that context references the frame that the Tornadus will generate on if you just mash through the text/animation. Since starting frames are typically in the 40-60 region anyways; this means that, at full {A}-spamming speed, you're likely to receive ~200 random advancements.

Just started RNG abusing again after 6 years, starting with Gen III.
I want to catch a shiny Nincada for the infamous non-Poké Ball Shedinja and the best spread I could find (H-2) was 89273906 (Adamant 31/31/31/2/30/31) PID 295C8589.
Few questions:

- This spread occurs really late, should I go for a lower one?
- Is there a way to track frames in emulator?
- If I ID/SID abused for this spread, could I use the same spread for H-1 Legendaries like Rayquaza and Groudon?

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I want to catch a shiny Nincada for the infamous non-Poké Ball Shedinja and the best spread I could find (H-2) was 89273906 (Adamant 31/31/31/2/30/31) PID 295C8589.
Few questions:

- If I ID/SID abused for this spread, could I use the same spread for H-1 Legendaries like Rayquaza and Groudon?
You must ask 3rd/4th Gen RNG questions here; this one's for 5th Gen (this thread's title is self explatanory).

Few questions:

a) For Shedinja, I'd say yes, since you don't care about HP or defenses. However, most good spreads (especially for wild Pokémon) are very high like that, so if you want to catch something else other than Shedinja, you'd have to stick with that one.

b) Yes! Google for Kaphotics' Gen III Lua Scripts. (Project Pokemon has a thread with those)

c) If I'm not mistaken, (most) legendaries are Method 1 (Groudon and Rayquaza are). Still, to check this, just input your abused (or target, rather) ID and SID into RNG Reporter main window, choose Method 1, and search for your target spread, then see if it's Shiny. It will probably not be the same frame, but it will be shiny.

tl;dr - Legendaries are generated by Method 1, but if you can hit the exact same spread (same PID) using Method 1, then it will also be shiny. However, it will probably occur in the same frame

EDIT: Thanks Albus, I didn't notice it either. Apologies

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Few questions:

1. 89 million is actually very early for an essentially flawless spread. But seeing as you only care about Atk / Speed being 31 for Shedinja (and maybe Def / Sp. Def for Download), then there should be a much earlier one. If you plan on making this spread shiny so you can catch other wilds with this spread, then 89 million is not really that bad at all.
2. Lua scripts : (Here)
3. Stationaries are Method 1, not H-1. The spreads will be the same but the frames will be different. Anyway no, you won't be able to use that spread unless you get a lucky Method 2 generate (which doesn't really happen much on Emerald from my experience).

EDIT : Also to clear up confusion, this is not correct -
c) If I'm not mistaken, (most) legendaries are Method 1 (Groudon and Rayquaza are). Still, to check this, just input your abused (or target, rather) ID and SID into RNG Reporter main window, choose Method 1, and search for your target spread, then see if it's Shiny. It will probably not be the same frame, but it will be shiny.

tl;dr - Legendaries are generated by Method 1, but if you can hit the exact same spread (same PID) using Method 1, then it will also be shiny. However, it will probably occur in the same frame
The same PID (if generating by Method 1) will give a different IV spread. The last 3 IVs will be the same, but the first 3 will be different (and they are pretty awful, I just checked). You can't RNG a spread to be shiny and expect it to work across different generating methods.

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it possible to RNG the species and IVs/PID of Pokémon in the White Forest?
Yes and no. You can control the species by which trainers you have present. You can control the IVs and PID the exact way you normally would. Buuuut...
  1. There are random advancements, so you may have to do some trial and error to hit your desired frame.
  2. Sweet Scent doesn't work, so you'll have to rely on running into the grass and hoping an encounter triggers on the appropriate frame.
  3. Encounter slots don't work as expected, so if you have more than one person in there, you may have a hard time getting your Pokémon (i.e. the same frame may result in different species depending on where you are in the forest).
  4. Synchronize is random. Just because the frame you want is listed as a synchronise frame, it will still fail ~50% of the time. This means you don't need to worry about finding a synchronise + shiny frame, you only need the shininess and can hope for the Synchronise to work. It also means that just because you hit your shiny Pokémon, it may not get the nature you want. But hey, you can try again and next time you might get it.
It's not really well documented though (or at least I could never find anything on it a while back); so there will be some trial and error involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)