Unpopular opinions

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
A lot of people claim that PBR's redeeming quality was being able to do random battles online in Gen IV, but let me remind you that even that was poorly executed. There were absolutely no rules and structure to the online system like our current Battle Spot has.

"Want to try out a cool competitive OU team? Too bad, because we allow anyone to use a team of 6 Arceus if they want, and you can't change those rules to allow or disallow Ubers."

"Do you care about fighting a fair game? Sucks to be you, because our servers have virtually no hack check protocols in place. Those Arceus were all legitimately caught at Route 201 in a Master Ball."

"Oh, did me mention our online functions don't even work anymore? But don't worry, you can still get a surfing Pikachu as a consolation prize for buying the game. It even comes with the incredibly good Hardy nature."

tl;dr: Like Kurona said, Battle Revolution was just plain bad, no ifs or buts. Though for what it's worth, it had a colosseum that supported Little Cup rules; that's something we need in the handheld games, especially now that super training exists.

What annoys me about PBR is that the battles take tooooo long. That was the main reason I disliked Diamond and Pearl. In the time I one shot a random Bidoof with any Pokemon, I swept an entire team in Emerald. But PBR takes the cake in that perspective.
Even the rental options are pathetic. You can only choose 2 teams (excluding the fact that you might use your DS to use your own copies of Pokemon) and you are not able to unlock any further mons to use.

That is what I liked about the Stadium games, you had a wide array of Pokemon. Even if most of them aren't as viable because you would like to teach something like Flamethrower to your Charizard instead of Ember, you still can build a solid team with what it is given.
There are even formats in Stadium 2, where you could use different sets of Pokemon fitting that said format (the Little Cub etc) and unlock even Pokemon you can't use on your own game at that time (unless you have taken part back then in certain events or use certain gliches) like Celebi or Mew.

I suppose since it is getting a lot of love here this will count as an unpopular opinion...

Pokémon Battle Revolution is, by a long shot, the worst Pokémon Game ever made.

It's not even about it not being a 'true sequel' or whatever to the Shadow Pokémon games. Even though Colosseum is my favourite game in the series (I unfortunately have not been able to play XD due to it's atrocious prices on the secondary market; a fate it shares with Ike's two Fire Emblem games), to judge PBR on that merit or to want it as a true sequel or what have you would be unfair as despite being on a home console and being made by the same company, that's not what it sets out to do.

Instead, I'll judge it by it's own qualities or complete lack thereof. As noted above, PBR iis a very, very, very lazy game. Let's go over the good qualities first - it did introduce Trainer Customization years before XY would do it properly, it did let you see your entire team in 3D and due to the different backgrounds, animations and the aforementioned Trainer Customization; it did look much nicer than DP's wi-fi. The game also gave you access to items, Surfing Pikachu, as well as Magmortar and Electivire which are notable because DP's way of obtaining them is one of the most asinine ways a Pokémon game could let you get one of it's brand new Pokémon.

If you managed to read that there should be a little problem if you look hard enough. These are all nice qualities; all nice little details... but they're just that. Details. Every good thing about this game is not from a gameplay standpoint, not from a story standpoint; not from any standpoint other than Details and possibly music (Mysterial or whatever he's called does have a kickass theme). Trainer Customization is cool but it's hardly a massive selling point. Wi-Fi already existed in the DS games so it's not exactly a major draw. Aside from that it... looks nice? And if you're buying the game for a Surfing Pikachu and easier access to certain items it's at that point you have to step back and realize "holy shit, I'm into Pokémon way too deep".

So what's so wrong with the gameplay? If those are the only good things about the game then what's so bad about this game's gameplay that you can't list a good thing about it? ... the fact that, as I've noted before, there is no gameplay. When you sell a game for full retail price alongside titles like Super Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, that is a very serious problem. "But Kurona!" I hear you yell. "It does have gameplay! The Colosseum Mode!" ... if I were to count that as 'gameplay', I would seriously have to lower my standards. A long, tedious amount of battles in a row, with no break, with no overworld exploration, with no actual adventure or semblance of a story in-between which, if you don't connect your own copy of DP you get handed a choice of two teams of shitty mid-evolutions is what we call 'gameplay'? If Game Freak were to take Pokémon Emerald, strip the game of everything but the Battle Frontier and hand you a tenth of the Pokédex for you to choose your team from, it would have a tremendous amount of gameplay more than this full-retail price Nintendo Wii game. The Colosseum Mode exists purely for you to get Poké Coupons to spend on items. If you somehow got any enjoyment out of it, I commend you, because I certainly don't have any fond memories of it aside from Mysterio or whoever's theme.

And it's not even that that gets to me. It's the lack of value that does. I said I wouldn't judge it by the merit of Colosseum or XD, but you know what? Say you're a kid who loves Pokémon but for some reason you only have a Gamecube and no GBA. Guess what? There's these two great Pokémon games for the Gamecube on sale which give you a wide, if limited amount of Pokémon to choose from with their own unique stories, characters and overworld! If you have a GBA and RSEFRLG, then even better because you can transfer Pokémon to and from! Know what had less playability than that? Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2. But you know what? At least with those, you had fun minigames, Random Battles to play against your friend, and hell, I'll even give the mini Battle Frontier a pass here because those didn't exist in the Gameboy games and it featured characters people knew and love from said Gameboy games.
But Pokémon Battle Revolution? Guess what kids, if you want anything out of this; fucking anything, you have to buy an entirely different console and one of the DS Pokémon games if you don't have one already! Oh, and make sure to complete those first because you sure as hell are not going to be able to do a damn thing with your level 20 Luxio and Grotle. And I don't know if this was an unfortunate thing of where I was, but Battle Revolution cost MORE than your average Wii Game! When it was sold in the same shop in the pre-owned section; the section where everything's cheaper because it's pre-owned and hence was the cheapest place to get it... it cost the same price as a normal Wii game. That's my problem here. Not only does it offer no content on it's own for the price of a normal game, but if you want anything out of it, you actually have to buy a DS and a DS Pokémon Game. It's absolutely atrocious, money-grabbing and despicable. It's an accessory at best touted as being as valuable as classics like Super Mario Galaxy when really, even fucking Pokémon Ranch has more value - that at least has the decency to go under the radar, be sold for a very low price, market itself as an accessory, and give you a goddamned Mew. What does Battle Revolution give you? Oh, here's an Electivire, but hunt for a fucking code online first which we give you no direction to do.

There's nothing to be gotten out of Battle Revolution. It's not what one can call a game, not what one can call value for money and not what one can call fair in any way. It's just a shitty simulator.
I don't think this is an unpopular opinion I think most people genuinely think this. It was a 3D Nintendo wii console game what did you expect?

Pokemon Ranch-what do we think about it, surely it is a worse game. And if PBR was the worst pokemon game that wouldn't matter because even the worst pokemon game is good if you put it up against some games...

"It's just a shitty simulator" can be used to for alot of games....

Hurrah for optimism!

Last edited:
I don't think this is an unpopular opinion I think most people genuinely think this. It was a 3D Nintendo wii console game what did you expect?
Considering that the 3D console games up until that point had been growing in content, a hell of a lot more than what we got. Why is this an excuse to make a full-retail game with no content?

Pokemon Ranch-what do we think about it, surely it is a worse game. And if PBR was the worst pokemon game that wouldn't matter because even the worst pokemon game is good if you put it up against some games...!
Ranch, again, at least cost very little and had an actual use that DP couldn't serve (though the fact it's Platinum upgrade was Japan-exclusive and it's completely incompatible with HGSS still grates). Hell, there was even a fun little Nintendogs-esque interaction with your Pokémon. For it's price it's a fun and useful little thing.

Well, actually, Battle Revolution is worse than every other game I own imo - Wii or otherwise. ... well, alright, I own Shadow the Hedgehog. I'll give PBR that. It's better than Shadow the Hedgehog; I think that's the best thing I've ever said about it and the best thing that can be said about it.

Considering that the 3D console games up until that point had been growing in content, a hell of a lot more than what we got. Why is this an excuse to make a full-retail game with no content?

Ranch, again, at least cost very little and had an actual use that DP couldn't serve (though the fact it's Platinum upgrade was Japan-exclusive and it's completely incompatible with HGSS still grates). Hell, there was even a fun little Nintendogs-esque interaction with your Pokémon. For it's price it's a fun and useful little thing.

Well, actually, Battle Revolution is worse than every other game I own imo - Wii or otherwise. ... well, alright, I own Shadow the Hedgehog. I'll give PBR that. It's better than Shadow the Hedgehog; I think that's the best thing I've ever said about it and the best thing that can be said about it.
What was Ranch's use? I got it and the only think I ever did was drag and drop awfully graphically made pokemon and dugtrio alway jumped up without any legs XD. Let's try not to be so serious about pokemon the Nintendo wii wasn't the best console...

What was Ranch's use? I got it and the only think I ever did was drag and drop awfully graphically made pokemon and dugtrio alway jumped up without any legs XD. Let's try not to be so serious about pokemon the Nintendo wii wasn't the best console...
It served as a mass Pokemon storage system akin to a much lesser, but fancier, degree with Pokemon Box for Gen III and Pokemon Bank for Gen VI. The only problem was that it tied it to a single game and didn't get updated to allow the future games to use it.

Plus, you totally forgot two of my favorite Pokemon sidegames: Pokepark 1 & 2.

Let's try not to be so serious about pokemon the Nintendo wii wasn't the best console...
Both Super Mario Galaxy games, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Sonic Colours, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption... there's a ton of great games on there; it's not exactly a bad console. And again, there is absolutely no reason for Battle Revolution to have less content than the goddamn N64 games. Sorry to keep replying but the excuses you're giving for Battle Revolution just seem very... well... don't work.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Kurona you forgot to mention Super Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and the New Play Control! versions of Pikmin and Pikmin 2.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Wii "won" its console generation.
Yeah, the Wii was a massive success for Nintendo and was consider a game changer for consoles due to its motion controls (that worked fairly well) and bringing in more of the family to gaming. They also remembered to release it with games, that helped too *coughWiiUcough*.

Anyway, my opinion on Battle Revolution is pretty much the same as all the complaints. Honestly I think they should have continued with the Colosseum series or if they wanted to just do a 3D battle simulator take notes from Stadium and make it a budget title. You just can't sell a Pokemon game on graphics if it essentially plays the same as the handheld, there has to be something more like a story, mini-games, heck just a hub world for us to explore and maybe fill it with secrets and mystery. And you gotta offer a significant amount of Pokemon with something special about them after XD: Gale of Darkness had all Shadow Pokemon know a move they normally don't learn (or have a Move Tutor which teaches Pokemon moves they normally don't learn).

Kurona you forgot to mention Super Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Xenoblade Chronicles, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and the New Play Control! versions of Pikmin and Pikmin 2.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Wii "won" its console generation.
The Wii won in terms of exclusive games (like most Nintendo consoles) but one of the other two (which one depends on your location) won the console generation because those two were actually powerful enough to actually HAVE non-exclusive games (both games on each other's systems and games on the PC)... The Wii actually prolonged the PS2's lifespan because they were able to cheaply port Wii games to the PS2.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Wii won in terms of exclusive games (like most Nintendo consoles) but one of the other two (which one depends on your location) won the console generation because those two were actually powerful enough to actually HAVE non-exclusive games (both games on each other's systems and games on the PC)... The Wii actually prolonged the PS2's lifespan because they were able to cheaply port Wii games to the PS2.
I think the XBox 360 "won" the last generation, I remember mainly because I remember when details of XBox One's early strictness people were going on about how Microsoft thinks they can do what they want with the new XBox since they beat the PS3 (which if you remember cost I think around 500-600 dollars, that really didn't help it). If I also recall the Wii was jokingly called the "Mario/Nintendo Playing Machine" since you mainly got it for its exclusives; honestly Nintendo didn't really "compete" as yet another joke I remember with the Wii is that while you're buying your XBox 360 or PS3 you also pick up a Wii since it was cheap.

(That was a look inside how the mind of Pikachu315111 works)

Hmm, I should bring up another unpopular opinion. While I know not a lot of people don't really care about(myself included), I do think they shouldn't have removed Contests for Gen V & XY if they didn't have anything to appropriately replace them.
What I mean is what additional feature did we get in Gen V that "replaced" Pokemon Contests? That would be the Musicals, and honestly they weren't that impressive (accept for some novelty value like a gentleman Snivy or 4 Wailord show). You got no Ribbons, no items, only reason to do the Musicals is for the heck of it (which is okay if that's what your into, but a little incentive to do so wouldn't hurt either). Honestly I think they could have combined the Musicals as a part of Pokemon Contests, it would have been a natural extension and maybe provided a way for players who didn't do say well in the Appeal Round to make up for it in the "Musical Round". Now to be fair BW2 brought us PokeStar Studios which became one of my favorite things to do, but that was an addition afterwards and Musicals still existed so it still wasn't really a replacement.
XY doesn't have anything that is like Contests/Musicals/PokeStar Studios. Closest I can think is the Trainer PR Videos which doesn't count as that's something for the trainer and not the Pokemon.
Now yes, they brought back the Contests back for ORAS and did a good job with them... but now what? Will they dump them or bring them over to XY2/Z? If they do what about next Gen? It'll presumably be on a new handheld which means Gen IV remakes would be possible. Would they keep Contests until then or dump them, bring them back for just the remake, and forget them once again afterwards?

Yeah, Battle Revolution was a severe letdown. It had so much potential in the things it did have, but kept tripping up. I remember playing the copy my local game shop had for Pokémon tournaments (so we could all see our matches), and the fact that the rental Pokémon sucked so hard confused me as I remember the fact that Stadium had 149 Pokémon to rent (missing only Mewtwo and Mew), and Stadium 2 had 246 (missing only Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Celebi). Plus all you did was battle. That's it. And while that is my favorite thing to do in Pokémon, something else to hold my attention is always nice (mini games) as well as something to really strive for (Gym Leader Castle and the story modes of the Gamecube games are far better at making you want to complete it than just beating all the Colosseums in Battle Revolution). I sometimes wonder if the failure of Battle Revolution is why we never saw a similar title for Generation V.

I still hope (knowing it will never happen) that we see a new console game for Generation VI, combining the best elements of Stadium, the GC games, and having new stuff that makes it appealing to those who own the games. And in HD. But if I say any more, it would be wishlisting, so I shall end this.

I think the XBox 360 "won" the last generation...

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
My criteria for winning (which I put in quotes on purpose because of the subjectivity/dubiousness of the statement) was more of a total sales perspective (which I should have mentioned). I don't have the exact number because of laziness, but I think the Wii did come out on top there.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You are right, the Wii sold the most of the three consoles between Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii last gen. The Wii sold a grand total of 101 million units (more than any Nintendo home console to date), followed by the PS3 at 86 million, then the Xbox 360 at 85 million. That being said, the Xbox 360 technically was the console of choice last gen, as it had the more convenient hardware than the PS3 and games looked better on it, which meant most of the AAA titles and all of your mainstream games of the seventh generation of video games came on both systems, and were usually better on the 360 than the PS3, and was overall the console of choice. That being said, the Xbox 360 sold slightly better than the Wii in North America (48 million 360's vs 45 million Wiis). The Wii on the other hand was much weaker but it was a nice secondary machine because it had all the wonderful exclusives (Mario, Zelda, Metroid): basically all the games Karxrida and Kurona mentioned, not to mention stuff like Mario Kart Wii and stuff like that. That being said, stuff like Other M and Skyward Sword were kind of disgraces to the Zelda and Metroid franchises... But regardless, with all of its wonderful exclusives combined with the motion controls, the Wii was a great and fun machine. The Wii wasn't really a good primary console compared to the PS3 or Xbox 360, but it was the best when it came to fun games. 360 was console of choice, PS3 was also a competitive choice for AAA games, while the Wii was there as the fun console. Incidentally, it's the same this time around: the Wii U is the premier fun console, although PS4 is now the console of choice and Xbox One is the competitor.

Pushing aside the whole console talk, and back to Battle Revolution. I think the whole thing about Battle Revolution is that calling it the worst Pokemon game ever is not an unpopular opinion at all. In fact, I just looked shit up, and almost everyone agrees that it sucks. IGN gave it a 5 (yeah I know IGN is a joke, but even they think it sucks), the average GameStop review score was a 6.8, the average Metacritic score was a 2.5/5, the almighty shitty GameSpot gave it a 5.5 as well. That's just to name a few of them (although I guess reviews were better back in the day of 2006). It got panned by the critics around the time of its release, and a lot of people gave it negativity too. As far as I know, it's very notable for its negative reception, much like Ranch and Rumble U are. And I haven't bought it, but I've watched sessions of it before and as far as I can tell, its only remotely redeeming quality is its online play with other people to battle on the big TV, but that's basically it: and now that the Wii no longer even has online service, PBR is a complete and utter waste of a game. So in short, I think most of us can agree that it sucks. Sucks pretty hard.

Just my comments on the discussion here.

You are right, the Wii sold the most of the three consoles between Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii last gen. The Wii sold a grand total of 101 million units (more than any Nintendo home console to date), followed by the PS3 at 86 million, then the Xbox 360 at 85 million. That being said, the Xbox 360 technically was the console of choice last gen, as it had the more convenient hardware than the PS3 and games looked better on it, which meant most of the AAA titles and all of your mainstream games of the seventh generation of video games came on both systems, and were usually better on the 360 than the PS3, and was overall the console of choice. That being said, the Xbox 360 sold slightly better than the Wii in North America (48 million 360's vs 45 million Wiis). The Wii on the other hand was much weaker but it was a nice secondary machine because it had all the wonderful exclusives (Mario, Zelda, Metroid): basically all the games Karxrida and Kurona mentioned, not to mention stuff like Mario Kart Wii and stuff like that. That being said, stuff like Other M and Skyward Sword were kind of disgraces to the Zelda and Metroid franchises... But regardless, with all of its wonderful exclusives combined with the motion controls, the Wii was a great and fun machine. The Wii wasn't really a good primary console compared to the PS3 or Xbox 360, but it was the best when it came to fun games. 360 was console of choice, PS3 was also a competitive choice for AAA games, while the Wii was there as the fun console. Incidentally, it's the same this time around: the Wii U is the premier fun console, although PS4 is now the console of choice and Xbox One is the competitor.

Pushing aside the whole console talk, and back to Battle Revolution. I think the whole thing about Battle Revolution is that calling it the worst Pokemon game ever is not an unpopular opinion at all. In fact, I just looked shit up, and almost everyone agrees that it sucks. IGN gave it a 5 (yeah I know IGN is a joke, but even they think it sucks), the average GameStop review score was a 6.8, the average Metacritic score was a 2.5/5, the almighty shitty GameSpot gave it a 5.5 as well. That's just to name a few of them (although I guess reviews were better back in the day of 2006). It got panned by the critics around the time of its release, and a lot of people gave it negativity too. As far as I know, it's very notable for its negative reception, much like Ranch and Rumble U are. And I haven't bought it, but I've watched sessions of it before and as far as I can tell, its only remotely redeeming quality is its online play with other people to battle on the big TV, but that's basically it: and now that the Wii no longer even has online service, PBR is a complete and utter waste of a game. So in short, I think most of us can agree that it sucks. Sucks pretty hard.

Just my comments on the discussion here.
What I've been trying to tell everyone is that saying that Battle Revolution sucks isn't an unpopular opinion, so technically I'm the only one who had the unpopular opinion here and yes, xbox 360 was the console of choice at that time because I know more people who said that xbox 360 was better. More people have said to me that the Wii was worse, to be frank.
Can we stop being negative please it's driving me crazy. I hate too much negativity.

Fun fact (last bit on the console wars): the PS3 was actually knowingly shipped broken (at the very least the first generation). If you recall, they had some super fancy processor, but the thing was the process was HUGE (as well as EXTREMELY overpowered for just video games). It was a nine core processor and it was common for a few of the processors to be broke during production (semiconductor manufacturing is a very precise art and the larger the surface area the more are there is for errors). In fact, chips that worked 100% were set aside and sold individually and the chips that had like maybe half the cores working were wired up and put inside the PS3. My professor who told us this tale theorized that the PS3 was given this processor when Sony was wondering what they could do with the half working chips.

-----

Now that that's out of the way...since we seem focused on Battle Revolution, let's try to shift gears a bit. I'm going to list EVERY single spinoff game that I played and give it like a 5 second review following the list on Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Spin-off_Pokémon_games)

Pokemon Stadium 1&2 - Since we're on PBR, imagine that game but with actual extra content besides just battling. I played the minigames MUCH more than the actual battling (aside from beating the Round 1 Gym Leader Castles and Prime Cup I did nothing else).

Hey You, Pikachu - I'll admit that I didn't play this game THAT much even though I owned it. I believe it was a bit quaint though. It was a pain in the ass to set up though and I knew that caused me to forget about it.

Pokemon Channel - Since I'm a turbonerd who loves collecting stuff, I played this game heavily because I wanted to collect the cards from every Pokemon. I also enjoyed the Pichu Brothers cartoon but wished I didn't have to watch it like 4 times over ESPECIALLY twice in Japanese.

PokePark Series - I already explained how much I loved this game. It was a wide-open sandbox styled game where you could easily be the BIGGEST jerk ever. If the developers didn't want you to quick attack and thunderbolt everything you see, they should have made EVERY Pokemon immune to it like they did the minigame leaders. I liked the Minigames of the first game (I bought it because it felt like it could be like Pokemon Stadium's minigames) but the second one really was lacking. But I turned out to have loved just exploring the area and being a total jerk to every Pokemon so it wasn't as big a deal as it could have been.

Pokemon Trading Card Game - I actually rebought this game on the Virtual Console because I had good memories of it. I still like it but I felt it was so slow until you finished the tutorial and got to the options menu and then everything got super fast. I remember wishing Gold and Silver were this fast (I got them both at the same time for Christmas). I don't have much to say about the actual gameplay because card games are card games and anything I say would be more a thing about the TCG (like how Base Set Hitmonchan is easily one of the best cards with its high health and very quick and simple first attack).

My Pokemon Ranch - I already gave my thoughts on it. It's quaint and does what it's supposed to but I wish it was compatible with more than one game per save file (that would have made trading with one DS SO much easier). I mostly just used it as simple storage. I wanted to get Mew but it was WAY too much effort to put in for it especially when the latter games came out.

Pokemon Bank - This fixed all the problems with Ranch but it feels lacking in that WISH they used battle/stat screen sprites sprites when looking at the stats of the Pokemon! Blowing up the box sprites just makes it look ugly as all high hell. And it doesn't tell me about any shinyness. The other thing I wish it did was allow me to store items so I didn't have to TRADE all my essential items from Pokemon Y to Pokemon Alpha Sapphire! But at least it's storing my living dex for me, so that's nice.

Pokemon Colosseum and XD - I lumped these together because, well, I never really played the Colosseum modes of Colosseum. Effectively they are full fledged normal Pokemon games with just the restrictions on battling and catching. I feel like they are semi-main games because they are side games with all the standard features of the main games. I loved the story and the concept even though they took my idea of making a Dark/Shadow Legendary and making him actually different colored (Except my idea was Ho-oh)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series - Again I lump these together. I understand why people like them but I have three games in the series (Blue, Explorers of the Sky, and Gates to Infinity) but I was never actually able to get into them at all. I don't know why. It's just like I have trouble keeping interest in them and always lose it by like the end of the second dungeon or so.

Pokemon Ranger 1 & 2 - Ahhh, the games that gave me wrist cramps and screwed up my the touch screen. I liked them but they got too hard for me at certain times (those damn Grimers in the first one and that Rhyperior boss in the second one) that given all the other problems I just shelved them. I definitely liked the second one better since I DIDN'T have to do it in one continuous line, but eh, I just didn't play it.

Pokemon Rumble - I'm going to list all 4 of these separately because I felt they were all different enough to warrant it. The first game was a very simple one. I actually loved the concept of a "Beat-em up" Pokemon game and loved this game. I liked the easy to do multiplayer too. I didn't like that there were only the first and fourth generation in it so you could find Gallade but neither Ralts nor Kirlia in it for instance.

Pokemon Rumble Blast - So, let's take the first game and expand it out to a full game. I actually liked the story and how far you liked traveled in the game and everything. I liked the non-Pokemon final boss and everything. It was honestly the game I played the most for the 3DS before Fire Emblem came out and it really solidified the system for me.

Pokemon Rumble U - I wished I played the game first before I invested in the NFC figures. I hated the camera angle and the motion blur/lens flare. I hated that they changed everything from exploring a world to all Battle Royale things. I hated that all the Pokemon things became capsules and so you got random Pokemon at the end of it. It really REALLY turned me off.

Pokemon Rumble World - Even though this was initially free-to-play, learning that if you got 3000 gems (and that the cheapest way to get it costs about $30) opens up the entire game wide open giving you both more gems and items to reduce gem costs a lot made me want to play it. I actually loved it and the cute little plot with the king's missions were just adorable. I actually played this game a WHOLE lot and got all the Pokemon except for some of the bosses. I recommend ANYONE to give it a shot. THIS is the real successor to the Pokemon Rumble games - not Rumble U. If you don't pay any money, it feels like a slow moving playable demo.

Pokemon Trozei - Ahh, the game where I learned not to just buy any random Pokemon spinoff. I just don't like puzzle games that much and this one was honestly just not that interesting for me. It gave me like a couple hours of interest but ehh...I lost interest.

Super Smash Bros. Series - Bulbapedia lists these as spinoffs, but ehhh...I don't call them spinoffs. They're all great games and I don't think I need to explain more for something I don't call spinoffs.

Pokemon Snap - BEST. SPINOFF. EVER. What really helped this game was that it was such an odd but fun gimmick paired with the oddity of the developers in the first generation. Everything in this game felt MUCH more cartoony than later spinoffs. How Pokemon react when hit by a pester ball or apple was one of the best. Same with the dancing Snorlax. It felt...so cartoony that it was just hilarious. Honestly a sequel game will be disappointing unless they keep the same level of cartoony Pokemon that we haven't seen since like the first two generations.

Pokemon Dash - Ehh...mediocre racing game. Learning that you could upload your Pokemon teams and play them made me a little more excited, but it was extremely disappointing in how it rendered the Pokemon and that you had to use the balloon for everything.

Pokemon Battle Revolution - Honestly, we talked about it already so I don't want to talk too much. Just ehh... I played it for the Pikachu, Electivire, and Magmortar. It would have been great if it wasn't for Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2 having a LOT more content besides battling much earlier on. I DID prefer the colosseum battling of PBR over the stadium battling of Stadium since there were no level restrictions for any of the levels. But like...Stadium had minigames and the gym leader castle that was SO much better. And whoops, I talked about it too much now.

Pokemon Conquest - Another of my favorite spinoff games. It took my favorite series Pokemon and Fire Emblem and combined them together. It also had like most, if not all, of my favorite Pokemon in it. You won't like this game if you didn't like Fire Emblem, so I know this game is not for everyone. But if you do love those games, this game is a good combination of them.

Pokedex 3D - I wasted money to buy the pro version. I had a red 3DS so it was a good half of my Pokemon professor outfit too. It was fine, I guess. I don't regret buying it and wasting time. I wish it had an upgrade for Gen VI. I actually used it a few times to figure out level up moves and junk. But the Pro version's main use for me was actually learning how to say their names. That's a pro I guess?

Pokemon Dream Radar - It was only worth it if you had Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 of course. I'm certain most of us just wanted the HA Legendaries. I had all the Gen IV games so getting Regenerator Ho-oh and Multiscale Lugia was certainly worth it along with the others... I wouldn't recommend it for the gameplay AT ALL. It was only to get the Pokemon for the main games and then being put away after you get one or so of each.

Pokemon Shuffle - Ahh, I disliked this game. I actually was fine with the puzzle game aspect of it, but the game got a huge difficulty spike that I felt they put in JUST so that you could be forced to pay jewels. I only wanted to catch Mew and Rotom which I did. I then stopped after losing to Mega Gengar like a dozen times and haven't picked it up since

Fun fact (last bit on the console wars): the PS3 was actually knowingly shipped broken (at the very least the first generation). If you recall, they had some super fancy processor, but the thing was the process was HUGE (as well as EXTREMELY overpowered for just video games). It was a nine core processor and it was common for a few of the processors to be broke during production (semiconductor manufacturing is a very precise art and the larger the surface area the more are there is for errors). In fact, chips that worked 100% were set aside and sold individually and the chips that had like maybe half the cores working were wired up and put inside the PS3. My professor who told us this tale theorized that the PS3 was given this processor when Sony was wondering what they could do with the half working chips.

-----

Now that that's out of the way...since we seem focused on Battle Revolution, let's try to shift gears a bit. I'm going to list EVERY single spinoff game that I played and give it like a 5 second review following the list on Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Spin-off_Pokémon_games)

Pokemon Stadium 1&2 - Since we're on PBR, imagine that game but with actual extra content besides just battling. I played the minigames MUCH more than the actual battling (aside from beating the Round 1 Gym Leader Castles and Prime Cup I did nothing else).

Hey You, Pikachu - I'll admit that I didn't play this game THAT much even though I owned it. I believe it was a bit quaint though. It was a pain in the ass to set up though and I knew that caused me to forget about it.

Pokemon Channel - Since I'm a turbonerd who loves collecting stuff, I played this game heavily because I wanted to collect the cards from every Pokemon. I also enjoyed the Pichu Brothers cartoon but wished I didn't have to watch it like 4 times over ESPECIALLY twice in Japanese.

PokePark Series - I already explained how much I loved this game. It was a wide-open sandbox styled game where you could easily be the BIGGEST jerk ever. If the developers didn't want you to quick attack and thunderbolt everything you see, they should have made EVERY Pokemon immune to it like they did the minigame leaders. I liked the Minigames of the first game (I bought it because it felt like it could be like Pokemon Stadium's minigames) but the second one really was lacking. But I turned out to have loved just exploring the area and being a total jerk to every Pokemon so it wasn't as big a deal as it could have been.

Pokemon Trading Card Game - I actually rebought this game on the Virtual Console because I had good memories of it. I still like it but I felt it was so slow until you finished the tutorial and got to the options menu and then everything got super fast. I remember wishing Gold and Silver were this fast (I got them both at the same time for Christmas). I don't have much to say about the actual gameplay because card games are card games and anything I say would be more a thing about the TCG (like how Base Set Hitmonchan is easily one of the best cards with its high health and very quick and simple first attack).

My Pokemon Ranch - I already gave my thoughts on it. It's quaint and does what it's supposed to but I wish it was compatible with more than one game per save file (that would have made trading with one DS SO much easier). I mostly just used it as simple storage. I wanted to get Mew but it was WAY too much effort to put in for it especially when the latter games came out.

Pokemon Bank - This fixed all the problems with Ranch but it feels lacking in that WISH they used battle/stat screen sprites sprites when looking at the stats of the Pokemon! Blowing up the box sprites just makes it look ugly as all high hell. And it doesn't tell me about any shinyness. The other thing I wish it did was allow me to store items so I didn't have to TRADE all my essential items from Pokemon Y to Pokemon Alpha Sapphire! But at least it's storing my living dex for me, so that's nice.

Pokemon Colosseum and XD - I lumped these together because, well, I never really played the Colosseum modes of Colosseum. Effectively they are full fledged normal Pokemon games with just the restrictions on battling and catching. I feel like they are semi-main games because they are side games with all the standard features of the main games. I loved the story and the concept even though they took my idea of making a Dark/Shadow Legendary and making him actually different colored (Except my idea was Ho-oh)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series - Again I lump these together. I understand why people like them but I have three games in the series (Blue, Explorers of the Sky, and Gates to Infinity) but I was never actually able to get into them at all. I don't know why. It's just like I have trouble keeping interest in them and always lose it by like the end of the second dungeon or so.

Pokemon Ranger 1 & 2 - Ahhh, the games that gave me wrist cramps and screwed up my the touch screen. I liked them but they got too hard for me at certain times (those damn Grimers in the first one and that Rhyperior boss in the second one) that given all the other problems I just shelved them. I definitely liked the second one better since I DIDN'T have to do it in one continuous line, but eh, I just didn't play it.

Pokemon Rumble - I'm going to list all 4 of these separately because I felt they were all different enough to warrant it. The first game was a very simple one. I actually loved the concept of a "Beat-em up" Pokemon game and loved this game. I liked the easy to do multiplayer too. I didn't like that there were only the first and fourth generation in it so you could find Gallade but neither Ralts nor Kirlia in it for instance.

Pokemon Rumble Blast - So, let's take the first game and expand it out to a full game. I actually liked the story and how far you liked traveled in the game and everything. I liked the non-Pokemon final boss and everything. It was honestly the game I played the most for the 3DS before Fire Emblem came out and it really solidified the system for me.

Pokemon Rumble U - I wished I played the game first before I invested in the NFC figures. I hated the camera angle and the motion blur/lens flare. I hated that they changed everything from exploring a world to all Battle Royale things. I hated that all the Pokemon things became capsules and so you got random Pokemon at the end of it. It really REALLY turned me off.

Pokemon Rumble World - Even though this was initially free-to-play, learning that if you got 3000 gems (and that the cheapest way to get it costs about $30) opens up the entire game wide open giving you both more gems and items to reduce gem costs a lot made me want to play it. I actually loved it and the cute little plot with the king's missions were just adorable. I actually played this game a WHOLE lot and got all the Pokemon except for some of the bosses. I recommend ANYONE to give it a shot. THIS is the real successor to the Pokemon Rumble games - not Rumble U. If you don't pay any money, it feels like a slow moving playable demo.

Pokemon Trozei - Ahh, the game where I learned not to just buy any random Pokemon spinoff. I just don't like puzzle games that much and this one was honestly just not that interesting for me. It gave me like a couple hours of interest but ehh...I lost interest.

Super Smash Bros. Series - Bulbapedia lists these as spinoffs, but ehhh...I don't call them spinoffs. They're all great games and I don't think I need to explain more for something I don't call spinoffs.

Pokemon Snap - BEST. SPINOFF. EVER. What really helped this game was that it was such an odd but fun gimmick paired with the oddity of the developers in the first generation. Everything in this game felt MUCH more cartoony than later spinoffs. How Pokemon react when hit by a pester ball or apple was one of the best. Same with the dancing Snorlax. It felt...so cartoony that it was just hilarious. Honestly a sequel game will be disappointing unless they keep the same level of cartoony Pokemon that we haven't seen since like the first two generations.

Pokemon Dash - Ehh...mediocre racing game. Learning that you could upload your Pokemon teams and play them made me a little more excited, but it was extremely disappointing in how it rendered the Pokemon and that you had to use the balloon for everything.

Pokemon Battle Revolution - Honestly, we talked about it already so I don't want to talk too much. Just ehh... I played it for the Pikachu, Electivire, and Magmortar. It would have been great if it wasn't for Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2 having a LOT more content besides battling much earlier on. I DID prefer the colosseum battling of PBR over the stadium battling of Stadium since there were no level restrictions for any of the levels. But like...Stadium had minigames and the gym leader castle that was SO much better. And whoops, I talked about it too much now.

Pokemon Conquest - Another of my favorite spinoff games. It took my favorite series Pokemon and Fire Emblem and combined them together. It also had like most, if not all, of my favorite Pokemon in it. You won't like this game if you didn't like Fire Emblem, so I know this game is not for everyone. But if you do love those games, this game is a good combination of them.

Pokedex 3D - I wasted money to buy the pro version. I had a red 3DS so it was a good half of my Pokemon professor outfit too. It was fine, I guess. I don't regret buying it and wasting time. I wish it had an upgrade for Gen VI. I actually used it a few times to figure out level up moves and junk. But the Pro version's main use for me was actually learning how to say their names. That's a pro I guess?

Pokemon Dream Radar - It was only worth it if you had Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 of course. I'm certain most of us just wanted the HA Legendaries. I had all the Gen IV games so getting Regenerator Ho-oh and Multiscale Lugia was certainly worth it along with the others... I wouldn't recommend it for the gameplay AT ALL. It was only to get the Pokemon for the main games and then being put away after you get one or so of each.

Pokemon Shuffle - Ahh, I disliked this game. I actually was fine with the puzzle game aspect of it, but the game got a huge difficulty spike that I felt they put in JUST so that you could be forced to pay jewels. I only wanted to catch Mew and Rotom which I did. I then stopped after losing to Mega Gengar like a dozen times and haven't picked it up since
I agree with most of these opinions. I wasn't expecting you to come up with so much positivity with pokemon Snap but I have been reading about it and it kinda looks fun.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shouldn't unpopular opinions also include positive stuff e.g. 'I actually like this pokemon game...'
That's the catch-22 of this thread:

If your unpopular opinion is negative, you're clarifying your thoughts by "ranting" => negativity.
If your unpopular opinion is positive, the popular opinion is negative, which people will then defend => negativity.

In essence, there will be negativity no matter what you do. Might as well enjoy it.

I think I've got another opinion that might have fit this thread, but I don't think it's "unpopular" as much as "unspoken", so I put it in the "little things that you like" thread instead.

Sorry about the mess...

Ok, forget about what I said, let's take a new clean page...

All the pokemon ranger games were good and I liked the usage of bosses. I liked the plot in the first two games and Almia was probably my favourite. Garchomp is beast in this games.

Pokémon Ranger was actually my favourite spinoff if Colosseum doesn't count (Colosseum being a spinoff is probably a gray area though). I'm not sure if I've said it here before or not but yeah; it was really fun - it gave us a fast, fun and convenient new mechanic, forced us to think logically and problem solve beyond "charmander is fire which beats bulbasaur who is grass", and it came up with a new mechanic that feels like it fits Pokémon really well rather than being a random gimmick with a Pokémon skin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 9)