Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These new games better include Mega Solrock & Mega Lunatone dammit, Solrock is my favorite pokemon and it needs a buff so I can use it outside of PU. It would be a disgrace not to make those two mega, considering the game titles are SUN and MOON.

Anyway I'm excited to see what new trailers will have in store concerning gameplay and backstory! :D
Even though its an odd numbered generation, I really hope GF brings back cross gen evolutions instead...
Unless they rethink the whole"1 mega per team" restriction, more megas don't really sound all that fun.

Yeah. While Megas are a good addition, they can get tiresome. Often, it can function as a legendary on a team. I am of the side that loves all cross-gen evolutions. ALL of them. I want more. Forever and always. I get that people whine that their favorites are "ruined" by evolutions, but whatever. People always freaking whine about something or another. Can't please everyone.

I would find it a massive tail between the legs move to not ever do cross-gen evolutions again due to fear of backlash.

Even though its an odd numbered generation, I really hope GF brings back cross gen evolutions instead...
Unless they rethink the whole"1 mega per team" restriction, more megas don't really sound all that fun.
At this point, trying to predict Gamefreak is becoming pointless, so don't let "odd generations have no cross-gen evolutions" hold back your dreams. After all, Gen 6 was even and only had Sylveon (and a boatload of megas).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Apparently there's a stream going on on Twitch where they're going to talk about the future of the franchise. No idea if it means new info or just a reiteration of yesterday.

http://www.twitch.tv/pokemon

EDIT: Just caught the tail end of it. All I know for sure is that JWittz was on, the hostess thinks GO is the most anticipated game of the year (rolf), you can watch all of the movies on Twitch now(?), and they played yesterday's trailer again at the end.

Last edited:
Thinking back to the rumors after xy came out, and before oras was announced, that xy were to be the last pokemon games due to a declining fan base, and the initial fanbase growing out of pokemon, I definitely think Sun and Moon will either be a curveball to bring things around, or the last pokemon games. Either way, our idea of an 'orthodox pokemon game' will almost definitely not match what we see in Sun and Moon. I can see the games being based in a region quite different from the other regions we've seen, perhaps somewhere crazy like a space station near the sun/moon, or at least a way to travel to and from outer space similarly to the delta episode, which could possibly explain the odd vehicles we saw in the trailer, maybe built for interstellar exploration. Or maybe the sun and moon play an integral part in the plans of Team rocket (team sun and team moon?), perhaps having some super special awesome secret weapon powered by the sun or moon. With each generation, we see more and more variation from what we're used to, and I feel like Sun and Moon will be the most remarkably different games we've seen.

Err...where did those rumors come from? I sure as shinola never heard that. Either way, it's inaccurate. It's getting more and new fans all the time. The main series has ALWAYS sold like hotcakes. No exception. At this point, it is Nintendo's biggest cash cow after Mario. Why would they stop making themselves mountains of money?

Hell, the super bowl ad and the Direct were spelling it out that there are fans of ALL ages. And that it is going stronger than ever.

Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?

I am not seeing these "declining fan base" or "last game" perspectives at all. Do you know the hell I went through to get a 20th Anniversary 3DS today or how futile my attempts to find a Mew doll in Gamestops located in ALL of southern California were? Hell, Pokemon cards are popular again and people in my age-group (early to mid-twenties) LOVE Pokemon. If Pokemon somehow dies, it would be purely because of marketing and not fan interest.

Pokemon - much like Super Mario, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, LoZ, Kirby, Mega Man, act does not exist in linear universe nor even one single universe anymore. They're gonna keep making games as long as it is profitable which doesn't seem to be changing, and the revelation of a different universe is only the beginning. Smogon is a very minuscule part of the Pokemon community as strange as that seems. Most people don't care to become heavily-invested in battling. Out of the many Poke-fans I know irl I'm the only one who frequents Smogon.

Btw Karxrida among non-3DS owners / smart phone owners Pokemon GO is very much anticipated. A lot of people I know are hyped even though I don't really care for it.

Well the series has had declining sales each main game; but that just goes hand-in-hand with Nintendo itself having declining sales each console.

Well the series has had declining sales each main game; but that just goes hand-in-hand with Nintendo itself having declining sales each console.
Exactly, and unless someone wants to argue that Pokemon isn't one of the most successful titles for the system it's not an argument. Handhelds have to compete with mobile gaming now so if there is a reason they stop making handheld Pokemon games it's because Nintendo stopped making handheld systems. Everyone wants a PS4/XboxOne because they can be family entertainment systems and they have their phones if they want to play mobile games. Hell, I see 7 and 8 year olds with phones and they don't even care about owning a DS.

Which goes hand-in-hand with every gaming system having declining sales (honestly this is the first year where I'm not impressed by ANY of the home console game selections). Mobile phones and more affordable gaming computers are cutting into their profits.

But I digress, honestly Pokemon will probably never die. The only way it'll die is if the series stops making profits which I find it hard to believe that it will happen.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Btw Karxrida among non-3DS owners / smart phone owners Pokemon GO is very much anticipated. A lot of people I know are hyped even though I don't really care for it.
Maybe it's personal experience bias, but I haven't seen any of this hype for GO on the other forums I visit nor my friend groups. I find it hard to believe it is more anticipated than a whole new Gen at this point.

Plus, prices of everything increasing each generation, and all things money are just complete crap, globally.

I swear, I will rage if mobile "gaming" (I mean that as condescendingly as possible) kills Pokémon or Nintendo handhelds, in general.

And yes. The fact that consoles just aren't particularly impressive these days doesn't help. And over saturation with certain genres.

Reactions: JES
There's no reason to believe these will be the last games...

Since Pokémon is on its 20th anniversary, you're getting really the first opportunity for parents to say to their kids "I grew up with this" and hand it down.

I have a 5 year old who (even though she can't read yet) wants to play the games so badly. She loves the cards, and has almost all the eeveelution plushes. If gamefreak plays their cards right, this is the jump point for another 20 years of pokemon.

Maybe it's personal experience bias, but I haven't seen any of this hype for GO on the other forums I visit nor my friend groups. I find it hard to believe it is more anticipated than a whole new Gen at this point.
Could be it. Majority of people who are excited for it don't really play games outside of mobile ones anyway.

There's no reason to believe these will be the last games...

Since Pokémon is on its 20th anniversary, you're getting really the first opportunity for parents to say to their kids "I grew up with this" and hand it down.

I have a 5 year old who (even though she can't read yet) wants to play the games so badly. She loves the cards, and has almost all the eeveelution plushes. If gamefreak plays their cards right, this is the jump point for another 20 years of pokemon.
At this point, I see the franchise the same way I see The Muppets.

A world was created and established, and it's just grown from there. Colorful, fun, full of imagination. Appealing to many different types of people. Plus, both regularly add new characters to add new life and expand their respective worlds.

I agree with many of you: Pokémon doesn't seem like it is going anywhere any time soon.
They did that once. It wasn't pleasant. Stupid Primals.
Also, that seems like a narrow viewpoint. For starters, it keeps things a bit balanced, especially since that +100 BST boost is rather high. The one per team restriction and Mega Stone requirement keeps them from being broken inherently. Also, there is a bit of excitement trying to figure out the opponent's Mega. For instance, I have a team that has four possible Megas: Alakazam, Heracross, Sableye, and Swampert. That bit of uncertainty can always spice up a match.
Some times, restrictions can make things more fun than complete anarchy.

Pokemon? Ending? Nonsense. It shall be eternal and everlasting.
I agree with many of you: Pokémon doesn't seem like it is going anywhere any time soon.

For instance, I have a team that has four possible Megas: Alakazam, Heracross, Sableye, and Swampert. That bit of uncertainty can always spice up a match.
I'd risk say your mega is either Heracross or Alakazam. :P

Anyways, I'm really excited about these games. And praised be the sun my brothers!

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
So, let's talk about Pokémon species for a bit.

There are 3 Pokémon who are classified as the "Sun Pokémon": Espeon, Sunflora, and Volcarona. If I remember correctly, the Pokédex even said that Volcarona used to substitute for the Sun.

Now, no Pokémon is classified as the "Moon Pokémon". Umbreon comes close as the Moonlight Pokémon, as Cresselia who is the Crescent Pokémon.

On the other hand, Lunatone and Solrock are known as the Meteorite Pokémon. Hm…

Also, that seems like a narrow viewpoint. For starters, it keeps things a bit balanced, especially since that +100 BST boost is rather high. The one per team restriction and Mega Stone requirement keeps them from being broken inherently. Also, there is a bit of excitement trying to figure out the opponent's Mega. For instance, I have a team that has four possible Megas: Alakazam, Heracross, Sableye, and Swampert. That bit of uncertainty can always spice up a match.
True, but the restrictions do hurt some megas more than others.
It would be nice if they could create tiers for megas; something something stronger keystone, can use one A rank or 2 B rank megas at the same time. I'm dreaming here, but whatever...
And speaking of megas, I wonder if we'll see some new take on the system; maybe something like Ash-Greninja?

I could see fusions becoming a thing. Not that I have an opinion regarding that yet.

But, arguably, forme changes were testing grounds for Megas. One critter functions a certain way. Then, attach an item or whatnot, and you essentially have a new creature. Fusions started with Kyurem and the splicers. Mayhaps that was a test, too?

I just love that a new battle mechanic is added every generation. It is one of my favorite aspects of the franchise. How the celestial bodies/the curious crystals/weird comet Pokéball might tie into the new mechanic intrigues me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)