Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

in yellow, for the item duplication glitch, does missingno still leave lasting effects(messing up hall of fame data & glitched inventory) if you dont catch it, or does encountering it in general permanently mess up the data?

Yo, the PC is there for a reason brah. If you see a space man, you park it man!
But the PC also has limits, right? Is it enough to store all the TMs? And what I meant with 'keeping the TMs available' is the fact that you actually lose them upon use. Are you really going to Missingno-glitch all 50(?) of them?

You could probably afford pick and choose the TMs that you need. Like, is there a value in cloning Bide or Dragon Rage? Some TMs can be bought in game, either in the Celadon Department Store, or in the game corner, albeit granted, the Game Corner TMs might be clone-worthy if they have value. Many TMs, such as Toxic, Swords Dance, and Substitute, have direct counterparts in the present generations, with very little fallout, if any, in what pokémon could learn them. Lapras and Solar Beam might be a noticeable exception to this. If you really wanted to clone all fifty TMs though, you could; the PC has fifty storage places, so it would be possible, you would just effectively lose your PC in the process.

If you opted for this route, it would probably be better to trim your game play as much as possible, though. Skip getting Flash, the Item Finder, and the Exp. All, use the pokedoll on Marowak's ghost to ignore the Lift Key and Silph Scope, things like that, because the bag only has twenty openings, and there are a few required "Key Items" (Poké Flute, Key Card, HM01-HM04, and so on) in the game that eat those spots up.

Alternatively, you could just spread the TMs out over a few games, if you wanted.

You could probably afford pick and choose the TMs that you need. Like, is there a value in cloning Bide or Dragon Rage? Some TMs can be bought in game, either in the Celadon Department Store, or in the game corner, albeit granted, the Game Corner TMs might be clone-worthy if they have value. Many TMs, such as Toxic, Swords Dance, and Substitute, have direct counterparts in the present generations, with very little fallout, if any, in what pokémon could learn them. Lapras and Solar Beam might be a noticeable exception to this. If you really wanted to clone all fifty TMs though, you could; the PC has fifty storage places, so it would be possible, you would just effectively lose your PC in the process.

If you opted for this route, it would probably be better to trim your game play as much as possible, though. Skip getting Flash, the Item Finder, and the Exp. All, use the pokedoll on Marowak's ghost to ignore the Lift Key and Silph Scope, things like that, because the bag only has twenty openings, and there are a few required "Key Items" (Poké Flute, Key Card, HM01-HM04, and so on) in the game that eat those spots up.

Alternatively, you could just spread the TMs out over a few games, if you wanted.
Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to skip getting unnecessary HMs, the Item Finder, and such.

So, after the direct. I think I asked someone this before but maybe I forgot to follow it up.

What Pokemon-specific moves can only be attained in RBY that aren't on newer gens?
Here's a full list:

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur get Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, and Bide.

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard get Leer, Rage, Take Down, Submission, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Submission, Rage, Reflect, and Bide. Blastoise (but not Squirtle/Wartortle) also gets Fissure.

Caterpie/Metapod don't get anything, but Butterfree alone gets Razor Wind, Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, and Psywave.

Weedle/Kakuna don't get anything, but Beedrill alone gets Take Down, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot get Razor Wind, Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Rattata/Raticate get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Spearow/Fearow get Take Down, Rage, and Bide.

Ekans/Arbok get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Pikachu/Raichu get Take Down, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Reflect, and Skull Bash.

Sandshrew/Sandslash get Take Down, Submission, Rage, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Nidoran-F/Nidorina/Nidoqueen get Tackle, Rage, Reflect, and Bide. Nidorina/Nidoqueen (but not Nidoran-F) also get Horn Drill, Bubble Beam, and Water Gun. Nidoqueen alone also gets Pay Day, Submission, and Fissure.

Nidoran-M/Nidorino/Nidoking get Tackle, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Nidorino/Nidoking (but not Nidoran-M) also get Bubble Beam and Water Gun. Nidoking alone also gets Pay Day, Submission, and Fissure.

Clefairy/Clefable get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Vulpix/Ninetales get Take Down, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Zubat/Golbat get Razor Wind, Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, and Bide.

Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume get Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Paras/Parasect get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Venonat/Venomoth get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Psywave. Venomoth (but not Venonat) also gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, and Teleport.

Diglett/Dugtrio get Take Down, Rage, and Bide.

Meowth/Persian get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Psyduck/Golduck get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Mankey/Primeape get Take Down, Pay Day, Submission, Bide, and Skull Bash. Mankey also gets Rage (Primeape already got it).

Growlithe/Arcanine get Rage, Dragon Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Arcanine (but not Growlithe) also gets Teleport.

Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath get Take Down, Rage, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave. Poliwhirl/Poliwrath (but not Poliwag) also get Fissure. Poliwhirl also gets Submission (Poliwrath already got it). And Poliwag/Poliwhirl also get Amnesia (Poliwrath can't learn it in RBY).

Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam get Take Down, Submission, Rage, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack. Kadabra/Alakazam (but not Abra) also get Dig.

Machop/Machoke/Machamp get Take Down, Rage, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel get Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, and Bide.

Tentacool/Tentacruel get Water Gun, Take Down, Rage, Mega Drain, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Geodude/Graveler/Golem get Harden, Take Down, Submission, Rage, Fissure, and Bide.

Ponyta/Rapidash get Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Slowpoke/Slowbro get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Pay Day, Rage, Fissure, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack. Slowbro (but not Slowpoke) also gets Submission.

Magnemite/Magneton get Take Down, Rage, Teleport, and Bide.

Farfetch'd gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Rage, and Skull Bash.

Doduo/Dodrio get Whirlwind, Take Down, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Doduo also gets Tri Attack (Dodrio already got it).

Seel/Dewgong get Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Rage, Bide, Skull Bash, and Strength.

Grimer/Muk get Rage, Mega Drain, and Bide.

Shellder/Cloyster get Water Gun, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, and Tri Attack.

Gastly/Haunter/Gengar get Rage, Mega Drain, Bide, and Skull Bash. Gastly/Haunter also get Thunder (Gengar already got it). Gengar (but not Gastly/Haunter) also gets Take Down and Submission.

Onix gets Take Down, Fissure, Teleport, and Bide.

Drowzee/Hypno get Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Krabby/Kingler get Take Down, Water Gun, Rage, and Skull Bash.

Voltorb/Electrode get Take Down, Teleport, Reflect, and Bide.

Exeggcute/Exeggutor get Take Down, Rage, Teleport, Bide, and Psywave. Exeggutor (but not Exeggcute) also gets Mega Drain. Exeggcute also gets Egg Bomb (Exeggutor already got it).

Cubone/Marowak get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Fissure, and Bide.

Hitmonlee gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Hitmonchan gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Lickitung gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Koffing/Weezing get Rage and Bide.

Rhyhorn/Rhydon get Leer, Rage, Fissure, Teleport, and Bide. Rhydon (but not Rhyhorn) also gets Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, and Submission.

Chansey gets Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Tangela gets Take Down, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Kangaskhan gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Horsea/Seadra get Horn Drill, Take Down, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Goldeen/Seaking get Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, and Bide.

Staryu/Starmie get Take Down, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, and Tri Attack.

Mr. Mime gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Scyther gets Take Down, Rage, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Jynx gets Thrash, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Electabuzz gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Metronome, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Magmar gets Take Down, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Metronome, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Pinsir gets Slash, Take Down, Rage, and Bide.

Tauros gets Stomp, Leer, Horn Drill, Fissure, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Magikarp doesn't get anything, but Gyarados alone gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash.

Lapras gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Rage, Solar Beam, Dragon Rage, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Ditto doesn't get anything.

Eevee/Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon get Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Eevee also gets Focus Energy (but only an unevolved Eevee, none of its evolutions learn it in RBY). Vaporeon alone also gets Mist and Bubble Beam. Flareon alone also gets Leer.

Porygon gets Take Down, Rage, Teleport, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Omanyte/Omastar get Horn Attack, Horn Drill, Take Down, Submission, Rage, Reflect, and Skull Bash. Omanyte also gets Spike Cannon (Omastar already got it).

Kabuto/Kabutops get Hydro Pump, Razor Wind, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Kabuto also gets Slash (Kabutops already got it).

Aerodactyl gets Razor Wind, Rage, Dragon Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Snorlax gets Harden, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Reflect, Bide, Skull Bash, and Psywave.

Articuno gets Peck, Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, and Bide.

Zapdos gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Moltres gets Peck, Leer, Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Take Down, Rage, Reflect, and Bide.

Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite get Horn Drill, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Rage, Reflect, Bide, and Skull Bash. Dragonite (but not Dratini/Dragonair) also gets Razor Wind.

Mewtwo gets Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Submission, Rage, Teleport, Bide, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Mew gets Razor Wind, Whirlwind, Horn Drill, Take Down, Bubble Beam, Water Gun, Pay Day, Submission, Rage, Mega Drain, Dragon Rage, Fissure, Teleport, Bide, Egg Bomb, Skull Bash, Psywave, and Tri Attack.

Why not? Contrary to popular belief, none of them are directly intrusive of the game, and by the point you start editing out the glitches it starts to not become the same game anymore and you may as well pick up FRLG. There's no real reason to edit out the glitches.
Maybe some people want to play gen 1 without glitches? FRLG is not that. I honestly would have preferred it without the glitches as it means that you actually have to put effort into your training and that I know that whenever I battle someone they didn't abuse glitches to get there.

Maybe some people want to play gen 1 without glitches? FRLG is not that. I honestly would have preferred it without the glitches as it means that you actually have to put effort into your training and that I know that whenever I battle someone they didn't abuse glitches to get there.
Then just play Gen 1 without doing any glitches. You won't run into any.

I am having a nightmare of a time finding Tauros or Chansey. Dear lord I forgot how hard they were to find. Also a few glitches are kind of needed for competitive play. Namely the Old Man glitch for multiple TM's.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also part of the original experience are the wierd and creepy conspiracy theories that parts of the game had like Lavender town...where are they again?
Elsewhere. Just like rumours of Mewthree or Pikablu or Bill's Secret Garden or that elusive Brock rematch, we've come to realize they're not part of canon in any way. That's all stuff made up by fans, in a time where extensive Pokémon fan sites weren't around to debunk them. There are still websites dedicated to fanfiction or creepypastas out there, so if you want that by all means go visit them, but don't drag it into Smogon. That's not why we are here.

I am having a nightmare of a time finding Tauros or Chansey. Dear lord I forgot how hard they were to find. Also a few glitches are kind of needed for competitive play. Namely the Old Man glitch for multiple TM's.
Not really. I actually planed out a team on Blue without needing wasting a single TM in the game. It is one of the reasons I used Golem (who learned Earthquake naturally) over Rhydon (who needs a TM in Generation I). And it was normal, ordinary, and just as competitively viable as any other RBY OU team.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
in yellow, for the item duplication glitch, does missingno still leave lasting effects(messing up hall of fame data & glitched inventory) if you dont catch it, or does encountering it in general permanently mess up the data?
Yellow Missingno causes more problems than RB Missingno due to an invalid sprite pointer. It will usually freeze the game upon encounter and, if you get a battle without the game freezing, it will cause the walking sprites bug when defeated. I've seen the encounter pulled off without freezing the game on a cart, so it's possible to do without an emulator - just requires patience. It's generally not recommended to catch it.

There are three Missingno formes that will never crash the game upon encounter and don't cause too many issues, but require a Pokemon with a Special stat of 182-184 for the three different ones. However, as far as I know, only a Special stat of 182 or 183 will give (safe) formes that trigger the item duplication glitch.

Been messing around with the game corner; and I've discovered that to an extent this same method that worked for Smash 3DS works to an extent here by touching the VC menu open and holding down A

It's not guaranteed though and I've only had some success - and even then it never seems to work with the 7s. I've hit some BARs tho.

Am I the only one not bothered by not being able to run? You couldn't do it in the original RBY so I wasn't thrown off or anything. So far the experience has been very enjoyable, I was surprised by how much I remember.

Then just play Gen 1 without doing any glitches. You won't run into any.
Just because I play without glitches doesn't mean the person I go to battle hasn't used them. That is my issue with glitches/cheating. People are never honest and so they end up being a part of the play experience if you want to do anything with other people.

Just because I play without glitches doesn't mean the person I go to battle hasn't used them. That is my issue with glitches/cheating. People are never honest and so they end up being a part of the play experience if you want to do anything with other people.
Well considering that the games are only local multiplayer. You can always be gentlemanly about it with your partner about here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)